ADVERTISEMENT

What steps would need to be taken to establish a Rutgers PAC?

Folks, I have had to stay away from this thread due to job considerations (got a short term project right now - finally) and family stuff. But I plan to delve into it this weekend, including reading through this whole thread, which I just haven't had time to do since I started it. I've put a bunch of thoughts together, but really don't want to post
them until I see where this had gone and what people are thinking. So lets keep the conversation going, and once I get through reading it this weekend I'll weigh in.

In light of Sweeney's latest anti RU cries in the press, I was wondering what the status of the defensive effort was.

We're not close to being able to respond to something like this. But it doesn't really matter, we will need to strategically target legislators where money and volunteers can have an impact.

If anyone is in NJ district 24 - Sussex, Warren, and parts of Morris and want to help in terms of contacting legislators, letters to the editor, etc let me know. jdmcreative at gmail

It's very important that we have voices across the state responding to this. Money will take a while to be raised and put into action but letters, phone calls, emails, can happen immediately.

I would add that everyone should be sending letters of support for the BOT to the BOG and President's office. Let them know that this is important and they should not in any way bend.

This post was edited on 7/12 10:08 AM by Scarlet Pride

Originally posted by Scarlet Pride:
If anyone is in NJ district 24 - Sussex, Warren, and parts of Morris and want to help in terms of contacting legislators, letters to the editor, etc let me know. jdmcreative at gmail

It's very important that we have voices across the state responding to this. Money will take a while to be raised and put into action but letters, phone calls, emails, can happen immediately.
+1

I started this commentary a week and a half ago, so some of the points I'm making have already been covered.

I see a lot of calls for action based on the current situation, and that concerns me to some degree. Yes, these sleazy bills by Sweeney need to be addressed, but we need to take the long view in forming this PAC. We need our PAC in place for future issues like this one and the blatant attempt last summer to hijack Rutgers-Camden. This PAC cannot get involved with issues like Rice being fired and TP being forced to resign: these are internal Rutgers issues.

However, if politicians starting weighing in on issues like that, then the PAC can choose to get involved depending upon the effect it will have on Rutgers. Even if it's to just say to the politicians: "We're neutral on this issue, but the issue doesn't involve you, so butt the hell out!" (Far more diplomatically, of course!) A prime example of this is the call from some schmuck on how to distribute Big Ten sports revenues once we're there. Again, that's an internal Rutgers issue: aside from maybe a little education (Hey SCHMUCK! Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark have their own athletic departments!) the response of the PAC should be: "This ain't your issue, so back off."

We also need this PAC to pressure politicians in NJ, and make them realize that not being "pro-Rutgers" would be detrimental to their career. That attitude is not the one I'd like to have in politicians: I'd much rather have them be friends of their state university. However, a fair amount of NJ politicians are only eager to promote themselves or their pet issues, so if the threat of damaging their career is what we need to wield to get their support, then so be it.

Another area this PAC can benefit Rutgers is in the area of media coverage. Right now, for all practical purposes, Rutgers PR department is horrible at reacting to issues when they flair up. Think about how the Rice/Pernetti situation or the situation surrounding Hermann's historical "issues" would have gone if there had been an immediate strong PR counterattack. I firmly believe these would have turned out to be easily quelled brush fires instead of five alarm infernos.

Getting back to the long view I mentioned above, some have suggested targeting politicians in the upcoming elections. Although this is something we'd like a Rutgers PAC to be able to do, it is not a priority right now. Getting this PAC in place, up and running, and viable is. Long term planning needs to be done on: a steady source of funding; overall strategy in supporting Rutgers; having in place response strategies for specific issues (anti-RU legislation, stupid comments by stupid pols, politicians seen promoting Rutgers, BOG political nominees who are unacceptable, attacks by pols on Rutgers staff (Pres., AD, BOT or BOG member, etc.), etc.); coordinating with other PAC's which could be viewed as Rutgers friendly; keeping a stocked cabinet of good single malt scotch; working with the Rutgers Administration so that we're both furthering the goals for Rutgers; etc.

More to come, but I wanted to get this out there.

Just a note - NJ politicians DID get involved in Rice, Tim Pernetti, and Hermann's 'scandals'.

I also disagree that a strong counterattack would have done anything for either Rice or Pernetti - in fact Pernetti did more or less offer a strong counter and it made him look like an out of touch asshole when ESPN is running the video around the clock.

Sure the support for Hermann could have been stronger - but that could have also backfired if the end result was that instead of being the worst thing that could be dug up, it was just the tip of the iceberg (think of the Rice thing, then two or three days later, oh yeah and by the way assistant coach Phil Martelli was doing even worse and didn't even get fined).

In the one case where they did know the facts and they were innocuous (Jordan) they came out firmly and pretty quickly to get his back.

Leave Rutgers PR up to Rutgers.

They made mistakes, but in a world where even Tiger Woods can't control the press about him, I think you both don't give Rutgers enough credit, and overestimate what we could expect to do.

Originally posted by MidwestKnights:
Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
Bring
Up
My
D
I
T
T
O

....on the "bump"....and may I enquire about how it's going MWKnights and all others?

TIA.

...and PLEASE get 'er done this time!!! PAC/Advocacy Group or whatever combination of said "group". After all, no need to argue now over what eventually comes of this, but what is truly important, and as Spanks has already mentioned is the following:

"...Getting this PAC in place, up and running, and viable is..."...the priority now!!

>>>>>
Edited to add:

Give "it" a rest der!
After all, the last time you were ready to get involved in it, too.

Just start this up, and then "debate" the direction. OK? Right now, the most important thing is the start, and the actual legal beginning. Just get it done, now! ENOUGH with the freaking talk!!!

Just do it!!!
We need leaders now....not a bunch of talkers and posers!
(sorry if that offends anyone...but...I really don't care!)

pps

Help them out Eagleton.

You, too, NK!

"62....Randy, Kevin, Frank, Tony, Matt....ALL needed now!,
I don't need to throw any more real names out there though, and I won't.

But, knowing that 4Real is involved is good, along with Johnny99...and huddy, dtn, and Cali and '95 would be really good, too! Skillz and numbers, too...along with our resident NYC fireman!!!

So...how about it guys?

This post was edited on 7/14 9:44 PM by RUAlways4ever

I hope we're making progress on this as I haven't heard anything of late.

From Niki Trunk's facebook page:

Niki Arbittier Trunk
Thank you to everyone who have asked me about my opinion on Sweeney's Rutgers proposal. As a New Jersey state college graduate myself, I am a huge proponent of ensuring that politics stays out of our public colleges and universities. My opponent has a track record of being heavy handed and railroading his personal beliefs through without fully considering the consequences. He has also demonstrated a personal vendetta against Rutgers University that makes me suspicious of any proposal he introduces to take away the University's independence. I have been discussing this issue with a number of residents in my district and statewide to make sure that Rutgers maintains its independence from the grasp of Trenton politicians.

People are listening...

Originally posted by oliverm:
From Niki Trunk's facebook page:

Niki Arbittier Trunk
Thank you to everyone who have asked me about my opinion on Sweeney's Rutgers proposal. As a New Jersey state college graduate myself, I am a huge proponent of ensuring that politics stays out of our public colleges and universities. My opponent has a track record of being heavy handed and railroading his personal beliefs through without fully considering the consequences. He has also demonstrated a personal vendetta against Rutgers University that makes me suspicious of any proposal he introduces to take away the University's independence. I have been discussing this issue with a number of residents in my district and statewide to make sure that Rutgers maintains its independence from the grasp of Trenton politicians.

People are listening...
Nice, she just earned my vote.

Bringing this back to the top as I've heard nothing on this for a while. Are we going to make this happen, or are we gonna let it die on the vine? Are we waiting on anyone? I know it's the summer, times are slow, people are on vacation, but let's at least keep thinking about how we're gonna accomplish this.

Originally posted by RUAlways4ever:

Bring
Up
My
D
I
T
T
O

....on the "bump"....and may I enquire about how it's going MWKnights and all others?

TIA.

...and PLEASE get 'er done this time!!! PAC/Advocacy Group or whatever combination of said "group". After all, no need to argue now over what eventually comes of this, but what is truly important, and as Spanks has already mentioned is the following:

"...Getting this PAC in place, up and running, and viable is..."...the priority now!!

>>>>>
Edited to add:

Give "it" a rest der!

Just start this up, and then "debate" the direction. OK? Right now, the most important thing is the start, and the actual legal beginning. Just get it done, now! ENOUGH with the freaking talk!!!

Just do it!!!

pps

Help them out Eagleton.

You, too, NK!

But, knowing that 4Real is involved is good, along with Johnny99...and huddy, dtn, and Cali and '95 would be really good, too! Skillz and numbers, too...along with our resident NYC fireman!!!

So...how about it guys?

I have reached out specifically offering to help by taking direction from the PAC's leadership and do whatever I can to help several weeks ago. Other than a "great thanks" sort of reply, I have not heard anything about this. Based on that, I can only hope that the upstart PAC has all the help and energy and talent it needs without my (and apparently others' participation). Otherwise, it might be that the original push for this by those who had the vision to lead it has stalled. If that is the case, how can we re-energize this movement?

It's a damned shame KingHigh.

And not surprised that you would be reaching out to offer help. since, after all, you are always there when it comes to Rutgers, and most often actually leading these type efforts. What's worse, in this case, however, are those "leading" the way on this one, not even responding to not only you, but multiple others, as well!

That said. perhaps it's time for someone else to take charge on this...before it's too late?

Is there anybody out there?

Originally posted by RUAlways4ever:

Bring
Up
My
D
I
T
T
O

TIA.

>>>>>
Edited to add:

Give "it" a rest der!

Just do it!!!

pps

Help them out Eagleton.

You, too, NK!

So...how about it guys?

I'm still willing to help. But my time is over subscribed right now. So like I said at the beginning of this venture...I can't organize it and drive it. Just too much going on. But if there is a meeting I'll participate, if there is a document I'll read and comment on, once there is a THING I can help rope into it (once there is something to be roped into), I'll do what needs to be done.

I understood your situation from the door eagleton, so no need to explain again. That said, one would think those running this latest effort would take advantage of the help being profferred by those such as you and kinghigh, who have been there before.

So. the question remains, as mentioned by king: has this effort in fact died on the vine? If not, then why no updates or email replies to those concerned? Better yet: IF the previous leaders have dropped out, is there anyone else out there/here willing and able to take on the job?

Is there anybody out there?

i made some contact a few weeks ago with the organizer and they seemed to be working on it still. have not heard since.

Although I hadn't and haven't tried pmvon, others I am still in contact with have faced the same issue.

Frankly, this is more than them, however, and if, for whatever reason, some prior leaders have dropped out...well, thanx for giving this the old "college try"...and time to move on. Some of us said how we could not give this our full time and effort for various reasons. all documented previously, so what we need now is someone, a very special someone, willing to do so....or several of those sorts!

Can we do it this time is the ultimate question...

Just to clarify, it was a little over 2 weeks ago and heard back initially. After that I heard nothing but also didn't expect to.

Emailed a few days ago asking for an update and did not hear. Should we be worried?

I think the initial focus on a PAC immediately slows progress. PACs are highly regulated and driven by money which means they are labor intensive in terms of paperwork, filings, and fundraising. Unless you have the money and expertise setting up a PAC is not easy.

I think if people are eager to see things happen they need to either offer one of those (money or expertise). If you cant offer either of those then perhaps focus on helping build an advocacy group in their district. I'm working on that in District 24 and at this stage I'm focused on trying to creating a profile of where candidates and legislators stand on Rutgers issues. I don't know where things are with the PAC but I think if we get people in each district doing something we can then try to come together and create an umbrella group and perhaps a PAC grows out of that.

You may be right Pride, and this is why I made mention of an advocacy group earlier,

Plus: good for you and great idea as well!
Perhaps you can keep us updated on your progress and share your ideas and steps taken along the way so as to help others throughout Jersey to start their own...and who knows where this may lead? So, big props sir!

So, sadly, it appears that any momentum we might have had with this is dead.

I see a lot if bumping but people can take the initiative and start doing things within their own community. No reason to wait for others.

Given the fresh onslaught by Norcross, Sweeney and their ilk, I thought I'd bump this to see if any interest still exists.

We should ask an RU alum who is a politician to introduce a bill that would reduce political appointees to the BOG given the continued decline in funding and the fact that a predominantly private organization should not be controlled by the government.

I think the PAC idea died quite a bit ago. I, for one, could not donate due to restriction on political donations as part of a financial firm.
This post was edited on 5/27 11:43 AM by pmvon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT