ADVERTISEMENT

What/where would you like to see Midnight Madness?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I don’t know if there has been this much anticipation for A Rutgers Basketball season since Mike Rosario. Where would you like to see us have Midnight Madness this year—The RAC or the College Ave Gym? Do you want to see a scrimmage or just three point contests, dunk contests, etc.? A live band or a DJ? Would love to hear the full Rutgers football marching band in The RAC- it has been a while since we had them at a game.If at The RAC, hope there are evening tours of the RWJ Barnabas Center. We need to get as many good high school and youth players and coaches as possible to the event. Any ideas ?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Way back when, Rutgers used to have a "Tip-off Dinner" prior to MidKnight Madness. The coaching staff would talk about the upcoming season and I think players were introduced. It was a more subdued atmosphere for the older fans.

Upstream, there are TWO full court and a half spaces in the RWJ Barnabas Center, plus other good size spaces. I can’t see any reason they could not have something like that beforehand.

Need to have a Tip Off dinner; don’t care where that is? The madness should be at the RAC. Time to call in Springsteen to play and sell it out. This should be the biggest preseason party of them all.

Need to have a Tip Off dinner; don’t care where that is? The madness should be at the RAC. Time to call in Springsteen to play and sell it out. This should be the biggest preseason party of them all.
Bringing in Springsteen for MidKnight Madness would be dumb. You don't want to fill the arena with people there only to see Springsteen, and lock out basketball fans.

Bringing in Springsteen for MidKnight Madness would be dumb. You don't want to fill the arena with people there only to see Springsteen, and lock out basketball fans.
Point taken

Yeah The Boss is the artist the kids wanna hear/see perform. Good call on that one. :Wink:

Reactions: MV9000
Point taken
But bringing him or Bon Jovi to the football stadium to get NJ behind Rutgers football is not a bad idea. When Schiano was here, gandolphini was at some games and there was some NJ pride building. We really lost that after he left.

Hobbs has made some magic happen with fundraising. I’m wondering what it would take to start getting some endorsement from these two famous singers? Bon Jovi is a big football fan. I’ve seen Bruce in freehold once at Jersey Freeze and there are many sightings on Facebook in Monmouth county.

I’m not talking a full concert, but flying in on a helicopter for quick national anthem would be awesome. That’s a guy to bring to practice to address the team. He started with nothing and works harder in concert than most any performer I’ve ever watched. He is as NJ as anyone.

Yeah The Boss is the artist the kids wanna hear/see perform. Good call on that one. :Wink:
It’s not really the music, even though most any age knows and I think appreciates Bruce?

I think he’s a symbol of decades of excellence. And he’s proud to have done it in NJ.

It’s not really the music, even though most any age knows and I think appreciates Bruce?

I think he’s a symbol of decades of excellence. And he’s proud to have done it in NJ.
Look I love 1980s & 1990s Springsteen. I was blessed to be at the Sony music Grammy Awards after party in 1995 when he won 4 Grammys and was at the party with his mom. (Helluva night, Mariah Carey was shut out despite 7 nominations but still came to the party, Tony Bennett showed up, the bubbly was flowing, good times)

I'm just saying that if you have an artist perform at a "Madness" event it needs to be an artist that 18-24 year-olds LOVE and wanna see.

In 2019 that ain't The Boss.

Look I love 1980s & 1990s Springsteen. I was blessed to be at the Sony music Grammy Awards after party in 1995 when he won 4 Grammys and was at the party with his mom. (Helluva night, Mariah Carey was shut out despite 7 nominations but still came to the party, Tony Bennett showed up, the bubbly was flowing, good times)

I'm just saying that if you have an artist perform at a "Madness" event it needs to be an artist that 18-24 year-olds LOVE and wanna see.

I have a 17 year old and a 13 year old. I know the music you are talking about. Probably just thinking about myself.

It’s worth noting that new Springsteen movie’s advertising seems heavily geared toward 18-24 year olds (although I can’t deny that you’re most certainly right)

Since practice starts way earlier than we're used to, i am sure there will be something.

I hope they bring in an artist for the team and students and then make it students only. Since I likely won't be able to make the event, people complaining on here that it's students only will be my entertainment.

Reactions: gregkoko
It’s worth noting that new Springsteen movie’s advertising seems heavily geared toward 18-24 year olds (although I can’t deny that you’re most certainly right)
That is because the movie is not about Springsteen. it's about the impact of his music on a teen in 1987 Britian

Russ, I guess the Florida equivalent would be bringing in KC and The Sunshine Band or Gloria Estefan to Midnight Madness in Gainesville or Tallahassee.

This thread took a strange turn with the musical artists. Anyway, I think it's a great idea to have something, dinner, reception, whatever, at the performance center before Midnight Madness.

And I think we should be piping in more Benny Goodman and Glen Miller during basketball games this season.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Pete, you forgot the first Elvis—Enrique Caruso. The kids love that stuff, trust me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT