ADVERTISEMENT

Football Where are they now? LB Devraun Thompson

This was originally posted as a premium article a week ago

Really nice read. He was a very good player. So many good "2 stars" on those mid 2000 teams, a lot of them basically stepping right in as freshman (thinking of Ron Girault as well).

" "The last sack against Louisville. That was crazy just to get that accomplished. Schiano won't like this. A lot of people don't know on that play he called a blitz from the left side and I got out there and with the offensive formation I called a blitz to the right side. "

No surprise there from me.

I recall that some years back DT was soured on RU - had a kind of "Eff Rutgers" attitude. I'm glad to see he's not feeling alienated anymore. Not that I blamed him since I wasn't sure what the reasons where (maybe they were valid?). DT was one of my fav players, and he was the type of football player who had a lot of fire. You never needed to motivate him. He was one of the few who came to beat Cincy in 2006, and wasn't still lost in the Louisville clouds. Physically he looked like a safety, but he was strong, ran like a RB and was very smart football wise. He thought like an old soul coach who knew the game better than you could teach. Its hard to find a player that's fired-up and running hot, but also still super focused mentally. He took winning and losing personal (another reason I never blamed him for anything contentious - that sort of thing is what made him good ). Its hard to find an LB like DT, and I never saw one like him after he left.

He made that great play against unc on the goal line.

Indeed....and also at/near the goal line in the infamous Cincy loss after Louisville in '06 he made an amazing play with an incredibly well-timed leap over the OL just as the center snapped the ball and sacked the QB before he could hand off the ball to the RB. The overhead video that's floated around shows it so well. Devraun could have almost taken the snap directly from the center. Tremendous athlete and ballplayer, so instinctive as a middle linebacker.

“Because we won the game.” - love the mindset...it’s not about him.

Wanted to let you guys know he appreciates all of the feedback and kind words toward him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT