Votes: 5 10.2%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Bottom Four

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
I believe we should finish # 7 ahead of Northwestern, Illinois. MUS, Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Maryland. Any finish below #8 is a disappointment. What do you think

I believe we should finish # 7 ahead of Northwestern, Illinois. MUS, Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Maryland. Any finish below #8 is a disappointment. What do you think
I think you set the vegas over/under line very close. I think we finish 8th.

We've got a lot of unknowns going into this tournament. The fact that RU hasn't wrestled in 5 weeks is most alarming to me. Plus we don't even have a 157 lb'er competing and won't get many points from 125, 165 and HW.

Not trying to paint a negative picture but even Rivera at 141 is a big question mark. He's looked tough, but has he looked as dominant as Eierman? No way! But he's risen many times, so I hope I'm wrong. It'll be a battle IMO.

I really do hope RU could put it together for this tournament. This team can either rise up to the challenge and perform well or be rusty.

Regardless, this season is sort of an anomaly and not the purest indicator on the teams trajectory. We've waited 5 weeks for some action and obviously expect hard-fought matches. Win or lose we better see some spunk. I can't take watching any more Grello-ish or 2021 Aguilar-ish matches.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreinsdorf
The matches i want to see most

Alvarez vs DeSanto (Very tough if you are not in shape for DeSanto's pace)
Rivera vs nick Lee, Rivera vs Jayden Eimeran

This is a hard question, as I expect to see more "injury defaults" once people qualify for NCAAs, and we get no points for 157. If we wrestle to our seeds, then we'll score ~44.5 points, which likely puts us in 11th or 12th, similar to last year. That would also only give us 4 NCAA qualifiers (133, 141, 174, 197). To move up in the standings to 8th, we'll need 18 or so more points, which likely means we need SeaBass to win it or take 2nd, MVB and Janzer to finish 6th or higher, and Colucci to finish 7th or higher. This would also give us 7 NCAA qualifiers before looking at the at-large selections.

Here's a 2020 Iowa article laying out the math: https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...th-behind-iowa-winning-the-big-ten-tournament.

Placing ahead of IL will be tough. Ohio st I think is behind IL. I say Iowa , Penn St, Mich, Neb,IL,purdue,ohio st and Rutgers.

Yeah I would agree. 7-9 is our range, anything less than that is a disappointment and anything more would be an over-performance.

This is a hard question, as I expect to see more "injury defaults" once people qualify for NCAAs, and we get no points for 157. If we wrestle to our seeds, then we'll score ~44.5 points, which likely puts us in 11th or 12th, similar to last year. That would also only give us 4 NCAA qualifiers (133, 141, 174, 197). To move up in the standings to 8th, we'll need 18 or so more points, which likely means we need SeaBass to win it or take 2nd, MVB and Janzer to finish 6th or higher, and Colucci to finish 7th or higher. This would also give us 7 NCAA qualifiers before looking at the at-large selections.

Here's a 2020 Iowa article laying out the math: https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...th-behind-iowa-winning-the-big-ten-tournament.

Was about to come on and give my 2 cents but you pretty much said everything I was going to point out. 4 no brainers with two solid opportunities to get an AQ at 149 and 174. Everything else is a crapshoot and Kaniard got royally screwed.

Reactions: Leonard23
Yeah I would agree. 7-9 is our range, anything less than that is a disappointment and anything more would be an over-performance.

Not being confrontational but anything above 10 is a plus after this disaster season. We are getting a complete goose egg at 157 which would have given us points for sure (good Probability of top 8) and a complete unknown at 125. Throw in Donner who is outmanned at 165 and there is a potential for no points in 3 weights. I’m NOT blaming our squad or staff as COVID killed us this year.

The disaster rolls on, we'll get smoked and finish in the bottom four. Long layoff and our kids just aren't that good save 3 weights classes. Just hoping that the team will be better next year or it'll be another season to forget.

Last edited:
Rutgers has a better tournament roster than dual roster, but 0 points at 157 will probably put them around 8th or so.

I am adjusting my placing for RU based on what I am hearing to 12th.
This doesn’t sound like good news and you’ve always been one who has his ear to the ground. Looks like there’s no escaping the disaster which is about to unfold.

I am adjusting my placing for RU based on what I am hearing to 12th.
200.gif

Don't like the sound of this..I'm guessing more COVID issues.

Sounds to me like Rutgers is going to pull that bitch move we all hate and have some wrestlers or wrestler forfeit out.

Who would benefit off such a move?
If it’s not COVID then that’s the only logical next choice for two of our .well known posters to drop us down to 12th place. A 12th place finish is absolute dogsh*t. Alvarez, Rivera are two I could see as possibilities. It’s going to be a long Sat. and Sun. for Rutgers fans.

Last edited:
I really hope that's not true as I can't see any benefit to wrestling less and extending the layoff even more...sounds like an absolute recipe for disaster for the national tournament. Given that everyone is dropping the expectation down to 12th it absolutely has to involve Sammy and/or Seabass.

This program has done their absolute best to take the wind out of the sails and make this season as miserable as possible for everyone invested.

Last edited:
Reactions: njsportsphan
Was really looking forward to watching our guys wrestle again. Really puts a damper on things. Frankly, RU has mismanaged this wrestling season about as bad as anyone and probably worse.

Reactions: MS-RU
Does this put Sammy's future in jeopardy at RU? If he can't make 133 anymore and SeaBass will be back next year at 141, will he RS? Or is he going up to 149?

Brutal season to say the least. What do folks attribute it to - obviously COVID has taken a huge toll on the staff and team - poor recruiting relative to our peers, poor development, poor roster mgmt, feeder system, increased local competition? Hope this season isn't a momentum killer.

Aside, not to take anything away from the APC, but I recently saw a video on YouTube profiling the Jenning's Family Ohio State Wrestling Complex and thought - how the hell do you compete with that?!?

Since RU has announced it. Alvarez will not wrestle and is replaced by Metzler.

A tuff situation for Sammy. As I stated before the season, Alvarez was huge and making 133 was a monster weight cut.

Monster weight cut but he has made it this year. I'm thinking during the 5 week layoff, Sammy packed it on pretty good and obviously couldn't get it back off.

Brutal season to say the least. What do folks attribute it to - obviously COVID has taken a huge toll on the staff and team - poor recruiting relative to our peers, poor development, poor roster mgmt, feeder system, increased local competition? Hope this season isn't a momentum killer.

Aside, not to take anything away from the APC, but I recently saw a video on YouTube profiling the Jenning's Family Ohio State Wrestling Complex and thought - how the hell do you compete with that?!?
What momentum? Nothing really changed after 2 national champs, top 10 finish, and opening 1 of the top practice facilities in the country to go along with 1 of the top match atmospheres and attendance in the country. It all comes down to recruiting and we aren't landing the really elite recruits or enough of them consistently to take the next step. I don't blame the coaches, because they're working hard and doing everything thing possible to land those recruits. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for improving that, as it's much more of an uphill battle against those HS and club coaches than you realize.

Reactions: zazoo2002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT