ADVERTISEMENT

Which Players for 21-22 Season Will Have Highest Impact?

WhichReligionIsRight

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2010
Davis, CA
I've been thinking about five players for next year.

Three young players who were not part of the late season rotation: Reiber, Mag and Palmquist. I believe they may have all re-shirted. However, I think there were positive elements from each player this season. They may be all ready to contribute this coming year - and for a few years to follow.

Jaden Jones joined the team in January. He seems to have a lot of potential. He had a ton of offers - from Alabama to Arizona. I'm really excited about him - he's had a chance to be a part of the team and won't be coming in cold for the fall.

Jalen Miller will join the team for the 21-22 season. I don't really know much about his game and whether he'll be ready to contribute significantly right away.

Regardless of who transfers in and out, I think people are forgetting about Pike as an off-season development guy. The gains were less this off-season as players weren’t on campus, but don’t be shocked to see leaps from a player or two. I’d also expect some changing roles, whether it be more PG mins from Caleb/Paul or more Harper in pick and roll.

Let’s hope we get solid contributions from 2/3’s of Reiber, Mag, and Palmquist. Right now they are all question marks.

It's a free year so no need to claim a redshirt this year. Plus, they played in games and didn't sit out because of injury so they wouldn't have been eligible for a redshirt if the normal rules applied.

We hardly saw anything from Mag but I liked what I saw. Seemed very energetic and athletic and seemed comfortable stepping out to shoot as well as take to basket. Whether you actually want him shooting from outside or not, can't tell. Not high on Palmquist. He did get a couple of minutes early and really looked overmatched and did not flash deadeye shooting touch that he was in there for. And he's been with the program for a full year (albeit in a pandemic). Reiber's intriguing. Also unafraid and seems to have some offensive ability. He could be something or nothing. Don't know.

I hope Jalen Miller is good enough to be an immediate contributor. Mulcahy can bring the ball up in spurts but cannot be a main point guard and Caleb can handle the point in a pinch but don't like him full time there.

It's a free year so no need to claim a redshirt this year. Plus, they played in games and didn't sit out because of injury so they wouldn't have been eligible for a redshirt if the normal rules applied.

We hardly saw anything from Mag but I liked what I saw. Seemed very energetic and athletic and seemed comfortable stepping out to shoot as well as take to basket. Whether you actually want him shooting from outside or not, can't tell. Not high on Palmquist. He did get a couple of minutes early and really looked overmatched and did not flash deadeye shooting touch that he was in there for. And he's been with the program for a full year (albeit in a pandemic). Reiber's intriguing. Also unafraid and seems to have some offensive ability. He could be something or nothing. Don't know.

I hope Jalen Miller is good enough to be an immediate contributor. Mulcahy can bring the ball up in spurts but cannot be a main point guard and Caleb can handle the point in a pinch but don't like him full time there.
I'm also not sold on Palmquist. I thought his strength was outside shooting but he showed little if next to nothing in his limited opportunities. He disappointed greatly onsidering he was with the program longer than the other freshmen . However I also like Mag. He could be a significant contributor in the next year or two.

Regardless of who transfers in and out, I think people are forgetting about Pike as an off-season development guy. The gains were less this off-season as players weren’t on campus, but don’t be shocked to see leaps from a player or two. I’d also expect some changing roles, whether it be more PG mins from Caleb/Paul or more Harper in pick and roll.

Pike already started putting Harper in PNR a lot more the last few games of the year though less than he had been against Houston

Mag seemed to be most comfortable with the speed of the game, especially on the defensive side. He showed some good flashes, and reminded me a little at times of Dane Miller with his length (and occasional spin move toward the basket). Of the three guys who have been here all year, I think he's got the highest likelihood of making an impact. On the assumption that both Baker and Young are gone, too, Mathis and McConnell will be pulled more into the guard roles leaving minutes on the wing for him to pick up.

Palmquist needs to spend a ton of time in the weight room, and a ton of time working on his defense. He's supposed to be a good outside shooter, but we didn't really see that this year - though he only had 10 attempts in 60 minutes. I think he's still trying to think about too many things and not make mistakes, and the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. Feel like he has heart and showed some hustle/scrappiness. He may have been most hurt by the shortened OOC slate this year, as he'd have had more time to cut his teeth and build up toward the conference schedule. Hoping the offseason does him a lot of good.

Reiber also needs to work in the weight room and on defense, and especially on his rebounding if he's going to be a viable backup 5. He did show a couple of good flashes of potential, though, so it's possible that he also needs the game to slow down for him - and a full offseason and full OOC slate would help his development.

As for the newcomers...
Jones had *very* limited minutes this year (11 total, 1-6 shooting, 1 rb, 3 ast) and don't really know what to expect next year. Glad he was able to practice with the team and see at list some time on the court, which should hopefully accelerate his development. A lot will be expected of him if Young/Baker are not on the roster.

Miller is a giant question mark for me. He's supposed to be a PG that can shoot and penetrate, and we'll definitely need help at the point without Young/Baker (assuming the latter doesn't return). My hope is that he has some lateral quickness and speed defensively to cover opposing PGs, but I literally have no idea what to expect here.

Don’t know who will make the biggest contribution but we will need substantial contributions from Jones,Miller, Mag, Palmquist, Mathis. Etc.

I'm also not sold on Palmquist. I thought his strength was outside shooting but he showed little if next to nothing in his limited opportunities. He disappointed greatly onsidering he was with the program longer than the other freshmen . However I also like Mag. He could be a significant contributor in the next year or two.
Isn’t that kind of a contradiction that he disappointed greatly in his longed opportunities? That’s kind of an oxymoron like Giant Shrimp. P

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT