ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Next Year

Lawboy12007

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 15, 2021
We are bringing in five freshmen. Most likely we will retain three present team members. The players I think will return are Jeremiah, Gavin and JaMichael. Really don’t believe Cliff comes back. May be one of the insiders stay maybe they don’t . This means there are four or five possible slots available for transfers or incoming frosh. We need individuals that can contribute immediately like rising sophomores, juniors, seniors and possibly post grads. With the portal about to open and several pre- portal announcements we need a pinned link for announced players and possibilities.

According to a friend allegedly in the know any one worth being tampered with is being tampered with. Sure we have an idea who is going into it from other schools and who wants to spend some time in Middlesex County next year. These back channels have gone on forever. Now it’s allegedly in the open but it’s not all in the open. Last year people reached out after the portal was allegedly closed. We found out that post grads were not confined to the portal dates.

I think we have about 3-4 weeks before players start really making moves. Not to say things are happening in silence.
I'd expect some of our players to enter the transfer portal before then. But we won't really see heavy portal activity until after the tournament is underway for a couple of weeks.

We are bringing in five freshmen. Most likely we will retain three present team members. The players I think will return are Jeremiah, Gavin and JaMichael. Really don’t believe Cliff comes back. May be one of the insiders stay maybe they don’t . This means there are four or five possible slots available for transfers or incoming frosh. We need individuals that can contribute immediately like rising sophomores, juniors, seniors and possibly post grads. With the portal about to open and several pre- portal announcements we need a pinned link for announced players and possibilities.
That's on premium.

I'd expect some of our players to enter the transfer portal before then. But we won't really see heavy portal activity until after the tournament is underway for a couple of weeks.
In a year or 2 everyone will go in the portal. Players will start doing it as a collective group looking out for each other and remove any stigmas of players who enter not being team and loyal guys.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
In a year or 2 everyone will go in the portal. Players will start doing it as a collective group looking out for each other and remove any stigmas of players who enter not being team and loyal guys.
Woah… interesting concept

With the 5/6 players we have we have something to offer. I think Pike knows the score after last season.
Pike has something to sell, it’s an opportunity. I am looking at it that way and looking to put my money in the form of a contribution towards next year’s roster.
Who is the best person reach out to with to give funds directly to this offseason roster?
Anyone know?
I am not talking Goldman money 😂

Posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here as it's probably a better spot for it.

Mag, Cliff, Oskar, Simpson, Woolf, Ogbole, J Will, Chol, Gavin, JMike, Ace, Dortch, Lathan, Grant, Harper is what we roll into next season with. 2 schollys over the limit, means we intended to drop 2 players after this season.

IMO those guys are Woolf and Chol. Now we're at 13 scholarships.

Now you've gotta look at the guys remaining, obviously all 5 freshman are here with Gavin and JMike. That's 7.

J Wil stays (unless NIL bomb), Ogbole stays as serviceable big backup, Simpson stays, Oskar stays as culture guy. That's 11.

What we are realistically talking about is 2 open spots (Cliff and Mag). I think Cliff stays though, so it's really just 1 spot.

To bring in the type of player needed to fill that hole, it's going to require an NIL bomb on our end, and between JWil and Cliff, I'm not sure we have that in the bag.

The more I look at this, the less I think we're going to have a major player come in here to help. Really seems like we're rolling into next season riding or dying on Ace and Harper IMO.

Posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here as it's probably a better spot for it.

Mag, Cliff, Oskar, Simpson, Woolf, Ogbole, J Will, Chol, Gavin, JMike, Ace, Dortch, Lathan, Grant, Harper is what we roll into next season with. 2 schollys over the limit, means we intended to drop 2 players after this season.

Now you've gotta look at the guys remaining, obviously all 5 freshman are here with Gavin and JMike. That's 7.

J Wil stays (unless NIL bomb), Ogbole stays as serviceable big backup, Simpson stays, Oskar stays as culture guy. That's 11.

What we are realistically talking about is 2 open spots (Cliff and Mag). I think Cliff stays though, so it's really just 1 spot.

To bring in the type of player needed to fill that hole, it's going to require an NIL bomb on our end, and between JWil and Cliff, I'm not sure we have that in the bag.

The more I look at this, the less I think we're going to have a major player come in here to help. Really seems like we're rolling into next season riding or dying on Ace and Harper IMO.
I'd be fine with this.

I don't think Mag would even be asked back at this point.

Pikes will put pressure on some of his players after the season is over to make their intentions clear and a decision immediately when they will enter the portal. He isn't going to wait around like he did last year with Cam and Paul. That's a lesson learned for Pike in the new era of college basketball. Don't be surprised when you see the mass exodus in the next few weeks.

Again, I'm overall fine with this scenario if it happens. If Cliff comes back I don't think we hold on to both Ogbole and Wolf. That's too many centers. Especially on a team that overall will have a lot of length.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simpson or JMike leave. Or stay though. We lost two guards from this roster to graduation and only add 1 freshman. Depends on whether Simpson is OK having to fight for minutes (JMike is younger so I assume he's more OK with it, and also seems to have the inside track).

Again, I'm overall fine with this scenario if it happens. If Cliff comes back I don't think we hold on to both Ogbole and Wolf. That's too many centers. Especially on a team that overall will have a lot of length.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simpson or JMike leave. Or stay though. We lost two guards from this roster to graduation and only add 1 freshman. Depends on whether Simpson is OK having to fight for minutes (JMike is younger so I assume he's more OK with it, and also seems to have the inside track).
JMike not going anywhere, he’ll be teaming up with his old HS teammate next season (Ace). I expect their chemistry to play a big role next season, especially early on.

Simpson I’ve heard isn’t going anywhere, but who knows.

With the 5/6 players we have we have something to offer. I think Pike knows the score after last season.
Pike has something to sell, it’s an opportunity. I am looking at it that way and looking to put my money in the form of a contribution towards next year’s roster.
Who is the best person reach out to with to give funds directly to this offseason roster?
Anyone know?
I am not talking Goldman money 😂

@RUJON

I'm concerned far too many players might return. Simpson is a example of a player who had a brutal offensive season but might return just to be part of the Bailey and Harper experience and then get playing time as a senior when they leave.

I'm hoping that at least four players with eligibility leave to play at a lower level of competition where they might be successful.

I like this but think Cliff ultimately will decide to go and leave RU with inexperience & some big holes up front

Guards: JWill, Dylan, JMike, Simpson
Wings: Ace, GG, Grant, Dorch
PF/C: Lathan, Og, Oskar
  • Need a Portal stud rim protecting upperclassman center to replace Cliff (if he leaves)
  • Need a Portal upperclassman fiery leader type rebounding Stretch 4.
  • Need GG to bulk up and play better D & Rebound
  • Need one of Grant/Dorch to at least be serviceable in case of spot duty

I'm concerned far too many players might return. Simpson is a example of a player who had a brutal offensive season but might return just to be part of the Bailey and Harper experience and then get playing time as a senior when they leave.

I'm hoping that at least four players with eligibility leave to play at a lower level of competition where they might be successful.

Careful what you wish for. If Simpson leaves you will need to likely replace him with another guard. We all have visions of bringing in another Cam, but he came to RU to be a starter. What type of player is coming in from the Portal to be 3rd or 4th string guard? I'm thinking it would likely be closer to another Noah or A Williams type.

Reactions: Scarlet Beach

I just don't see where all the minutes come from, that's the issue.

Strictly talking Guards from this past season, this is how everything shook out:

1. J. Williams - 26.7 MPG
  2. D. Simpson - 26 MPG
  3. J. Davis - 23.1 MPG
  4. N. Fernandes - 20.3 MPG
  5. A. Williams - 15.7 MPG
I think Harper and J Will are going to be pushing 30 MPG next season. One of Simpson/Davis are going to be the 3rd guard getting decent minutes with the other dropping down in minutes slightly.

I don't see a legit player coming in here to take essentially a 3rd guard role. I just don't see it, there are plenty of opportunities at other D1 schools with a better path to playing time at the guard position IMO.

I know people are salty over this past season, but I think continuity at the 3rd/4th guard role is more important than getting a new player in here just for the sake of turning the roster over.

Have to remember, Simpson and Davis need to be the guys that come in to play defense off the bench. Force a turnover and create transition baskets. They don't need to be the guys primarily controlling the game, that's what Harper and J Will are responsible for.

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
I like this but think Cliff ultimately will decide to go and leave RU with inexperience & some big holes up front

• Need a Portal stud rim protecting upperclassman center to replace Cliff (if he leaves)
So if Cliff decides to leave, then that leaves two spots open. I would throw the kitchen sink at a legit big man and say we're going deep in the tournament.

I'm talking a household name guy, someone that's experienced and already playing at a P6 school. Tamper, do whatever you have to do. The 5 is the most important position for this team next year.

Hell I'll throw an insane name out there that likely won't happen. Go out and pay DaRon Holmes II from Dayton for a year. Kid is going to end up going to the NBA, but you never know. Pick up the phone and find out.

Mags spot I think you can pick up a shooter at a lower level and be okay with that. The thought being this player will get open looks because of the attention Harper and Ace will draw.

Gavin looked much better on defense as the year went on, seemed like the game slowed down for him a bit. I think he will have a good 2nd year here. Grant/Dorch I think will be fine in an Austin Williams type role.

Dortch will be more than serviceable. He will be your next defensive stopper at the forward but a much more polished offensive gun than Mags or Caleb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT