ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt will be our Starting Quarterback next year

I love when every other team we play are going to be improved next year but we won't...

As much as you all don't like our QB- I am sure there will be improvement there. Our OL will have a 2nd year with Coach Fitz - WR's will be better, defense isn't losing a ton and I expect them to be at leas the same as this year.

And let's also look at VaTech- yeah, QB got better and they ended up with some wins- did you all see who their wins were against- it wasn't murderers row.
Neb - didn't win any top games either - Minn, good win against Iowa - Ill- ehhh
Much easier West swing then we had this year.
Wash replaces Mich as an equal but 7-5 USC and UCLA do not even compare to OSU/PSU

It still is a tough schedule but a lot easier than this year

Their schedule was weaker, but Gavin only threw over 50% 4 times all season. Comparatively - Drones threw over 50% in all but 2 games. One of them was just the last series against Purdue getting thrown in cold. He’s clearly more accurate.

Their schedule was weaker, but Gavin only threw over 50% 4 times all season. Comparatively - Drones threw over 50% in all but 2 games. One of them was just the last series against Purdue getting thrown in cold. He’s clearly more accurate.
The entire country was more accurate…

I love when every other team we play are going to be improved next year but we won't...

As much as you all don't like our QB- I am sure there will be improvement there. Our OL will have a 2nd year with Coach Fitz - WR's will be better, defense isn't losing a ton and I expect them to be at leas the same as this year.

And let's also look at VaTech- yeah, QB got better and they ended up with some wins- did you all see who their wins were against- it wasn't murderers row.
Neb - didn't win any top games either - Minn, good win against Iowa - Ill- ehhh
Much easier West swing then we had this year.
Wash replaces Mich as an equal but 7-5 USC and UCLA do not even compare to OSU/PSU

It still is a tough schedule but a lot easier than this year

And there seems to be collective amnesia here about Sheppard. It's like the only QBs, barring a transfer, are GW and Surace.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
You and scarlet dog continue to be hyper focused on accuracy, while Schiano is hyper focused on Turnovers. Don’t think Gavin will ever be a 60% passer. He’ll probably be 55% at best by his senior year. For Schiano, this is good enough.

Our WR Corp won’t sustain a 60% passer because it lacks talent. That’s why this offense will continue to be run oriented.

We ran the ball 472 times and threw 279 times. That’s a 62% to 38% split. That’s why passing productivity isn’t so important.

Till today, there have been 0 known offers that have gone out to quarterbacks. Which tells me quarterback isn’t the biggest priority right now.

That’s why Gavin Will continue to be the QB next year with the same mandate as this year: win 6 games and don’t turn the ball over.
Bull. We ran it 62% of the time because we're not capable of completing passes...and inaccuracy means turnovers. We limited chances for turnovers because we have a guy who throws it we they ain't (more specifically, where WE ain't). Chicken or the Egg.

Of course we'd like to pound the ball and never throw. But that's clearly not possible and we saw our defense wear down through the season. You cannot win with defense alone...if offense is totally anemic the defense will wear out and we saw it clearly this season. There needs to be balance...we don't need to throw 60% of the time, but we need balance and when you cannot trust your qb to be accurate you are forced to severely limit the playbook. We were the easiest team to defend...everyone knows what's coming...jeez don't even need to steal our signs.

I think you are wrong Al. And I sure hope you are wrong about this not being a priority. I can still hear the collective gasps from my entire section 105 during the Iowa game as open receivers were not seen, passes were thrown horribly inaccurate, and even completions resulted in very little YAC because of the inaccuracy. It just cannot continue if we want to progress as a program.

Of USC, UCLA and Washington, only Washington was in the same class as OSU, PSU, and UM. It's not an easy schedule, but not as tough as 2023. And can't it be said that Rutgers will continue to improve, just like VaTech?
USC and UCLA both have the resources to upgrade their programs. Don't discount the traditional PAC 8 big 3, that would be a tough run for Michigan/OSU to win all three most years.

I was looking at the schedules- Michigan steps it up next year- Texas/Wash/Oregon/USC/OSU

USC and UCLA both have the resources to upgrade their programs. Don't discount the traditional PAC 8 big 3, that would be a tough run for Michigan/OSU to win all three most years.

In the last 20 years UCLA has only finished in the Top 20 twice, with 14th being the highest. USC only 3 times, with 9th begin the best. Every program has off years, but those records match up with OSU, UM and PSU.

In the last 20 years UCLA has only finished in the Top 20 twice, with 14th being the highest. USC only 3 times, with 9th begin the best. Every program has off years, but those records match up with OSU, UM and PSU.
Wash = Mich
OSU>>>>USC
PSU>>>>Ucla
Iowa/Wisc/NW >>>Neb/Wisc/Minn/Ill

Next year- we have only 1 absolute loss
We will still have to work hard for 6 or more wins but will be nice to only have one game that gives us a single digit % chance of a win.

Reactions: mdk01 and Kbee3
How are we doing against Maryland? Yet, we are going to be competitive against the PAC big 3. UCLA is no pushover, live and learn.

First season = "memorization"
Second season = "understanding"
Third season = "mastery"

Those three steps are how Kirk Ciarrocca sees QB development according to the Maryland game announcers

6:10-6:25

The very first throw in this game recap from Gavin is the perfect example. Guy wide open on a 8 yard out for a first down and he completely sails the ball 10 feet over his head. No pressure at all on him. Will never beat a good team with that.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Zimm80
The very first throw in this game recap from Gavin is the perfect example. Guy wide open on a 8 yard out for a first down and he completely sails the ball 10 feet over his head. No pressure at all on him. Will never beat a good team with that.
Every quarterback has bad throws. Gavin will work to reduce his in the offseason.

Did you read my post? I’m not suggesting Schiano would swap Wimsatt for someone who is prone to turnovers. I said as much. We’re not going to look for an Evan Simon. He’s going to target a NV type. Ideally we can land one with a bit more potential in terms of arm strength.

For all his limitations, NV protected the football. Despite Gavin’s improvement in this area, our incumbent from 2 seasons ago would still be a FAR more reliable choice from that perspective alone. Not only is it not close - we’re talking different galaxies. The stats don’t tell anywhere near the whole story (and Noah threw less picks in 2021 anyway - 7 INTs compared to Gavin’s 8 INTs to date). But Noah protected the ball having the green light to adjust plays on his own post snap (whereas Gavin does not have that trust - it’s night and day). Also - Noah was throwing and running under pressure far more often than Gavin due to a depleted 2021 line. As I said - there is no argument to suggest that Gavin fits “the ball is the program” mantra better than a NV type. It’d be a ridiculous argument.

NV wasn’t the most exciting QB. That’s for sure. But he absolutely fits the mold of everything Greg wants. And there are dozens of guys out there like him (hopefully a bit better as I said) that we could add to the team.
Of course he would never try to replace Gavin with someone who turns the ball over. But just because someone avoids turnovers for another team, doesn’t mean he’ll be able to avoid turnovers for us because our WR position is very weak.

Our leading receiver this year has fewer receptions than Shameen Jones, the 2nd leading receiver in 2021. NV could throw to Bo Melton, who had 55 receptions, Jones, and Cruickshank. NV would not be as productive with the current set of WRs and he would likely have more turnovers. Further, Gavin produced more TDS, 9 rushing and 9 passing for a total of 18. Noah had 9. 7 passing and 2 rushing.

Furthermore, the NV types and the quarterbacks you’ve been describing are going for an NIL premium. This is why I won’t be surprised if we stand Pat.

We’d probably be looking at an Ivy League type or a non power 5 type. Minnesota got a QB from New Hampshire. That’s where we’re at.

We’re returning 1 productive WR in Dremel. The rest are unknown, though I expect Duff to have instant impact.

Don’t you see how unappealing our WR and TE situation is? Lastly, we could offer NV the starting spot when we recruited him. All we can offer a prospective QB Is an opportunity to compete.

I just don’t see GS replacing a QB, who reached the seasons most important objective: a bowl game.

Bull. We ran it 62% of the time because we're not capable of completing passes...and inaccuracy means turnovers. We limited chances for turnovers because we have a guy who throws it we they ain't (more specifically, where WE ain't). Chicken or the Egg.

Of course we'd like to pound the ball and never throw. But that's clearly not possible and we saw our defense wear down through the season. You cannot win with defense alone...if offense is totally anemic the defense will wear out and we saw it clearly this season. There needs to be balance...we don't need to throw 60% of the time, but we need balance and when you cannot trust your qb to be accurate you are forced to severely limit the playbook. We were the easiest team to defend...everyone knows what's coming...jeez don't even need to steal our signs.

I think you are wrong Al. And I sure hope you are wrong about this not being a priority. I can still hear the collective gasps from my entire section 105 during the Iowa game as open receivers were not seen, passes were thrown horribly inaccurate, and even completions resulted in very little YAC because of the inaccuracy. It just cannot continue if we want to progress as a program.
We ran 62% of the time because the WR Corp is weak. Expect more of the same next year, with only Dremel and his 34 receptions returning. Everyone else is an unknown as far as impact, though we hope kids like strong, Duff, Braithwaite, and Toure can step up.

Kirks offense in Minnesota in ‘22 ran 67% of the time and threw 33% of theme time, so sounds like this split appealed to Schiano.

Next years November schedule is much easier than this years. We play:

Minnesota
Maryland
Illinois
MSU

The most physical teams, Nebraska and Wisconsin, we play Oct 5th and 12th.
This is why I don’t think we’ll wear down.

I’m sure your section cheered when Gavin made a big play, especially his 9 passing and 9 rushing TDS.

We ran 62% of the time because the WR Corp is weak. Expect more of the same next year, with only Dremel and his 34 receptions returning. Everyone else is an unknown as far as impact, though we hope kids like strong, Duff, Braithwaite, and Toure can step up.

Kirks offense in Minnesota in ‘22 ran 67% of the time and threw 33% of theme time, so sounds like this split appealed to Schiano.

Minnesota
Maryland
Illinois
MSU

I’m sure your section cheered when Gavin made a big play, especially his 9 passing and 9 rushing TDS.
We will lose 3 out of those 4 if we have same qb play. Stop kidding yourself. You know this is garbage and we need a lot better.

Minnesota
Maryland
Illinois
MSU

No - we ran more often because we did not have a QB who had the green light to adjust pass play calls post snap. Your seriously discounting how limiting this is.

Reactions: ScarletDog
Of course he would never try to replace Gavin with someone who turns the ball over. But just because someone avoids turnovers for another team, doesn’t mean he’ll be able to avoid turnovers for us because our WR position is very weak.

Our leading receiver this year has fewer receptions than Shameen Jones, the 2nd leading receiver in 2021. NV could throw to Bo Melton, who had 55 receptions, Jones, and Cruickshank. NV would not be as productive with the current set of WRs and he would likely have more turnovers. Further, Gavin produced more TDS, 9 rushing and 9 passing for a total of 18. Noah had 9. 7 passing and 2 rushing.

Furthermore, the NV types and the quarterbacks you’ve been describing are going for an NIL premium. This is why I won’t be surprised if we stand Pat.

We’d probably be looking at an Ivy League type or a non power 5 type. Minnesota got a QB from New Hampshire. That’s where we’re at.

We’re returning 1 productive WR in Dremel. The rest are unknown, though I expect Duff to have instant impact.

Don’t you see how unappealing our WR and TE situation is? Lastly, we could offer NV the starting spot when we recruited him. All we can offer a prospective QB Is an opportunity to compete.

I just don’t see GS replacing a QB, who reached the seasons most important objective: a bowl game.

Dude - just stop. Some of the things you say make no sense. Noah Vedral was the back up QB on a 5-7 Nebraska team. He threw okay but only attempted 52 passes on the 2019 season. Nebraska was already his second school. That’s not a big time NIL deal candidate. It’s just not.

Your circular referencing yourself on the other points. Of course a more accurate passer is going to have receivers with a higher volume of receptions. How can you point to this metric, and completely disregard the fact that Gavin does not have the green light to adjust calls and look for an open receiver on his own after the snap? It’s a HUGE FACTOR. I don’t know why this is the case - but I do know that Noah Vedral had the green light to adjust play calls at will in both 2020 and 2021. Again, of course your going to complete more passes to open receivers (that’s just common sense). Hence why it’s such a limiting factor that Gavin isn’t trusted to look for the open man.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Dude - just stop. Some of the things you say make no sense. Noah Vedral was the back up QB on a 5-7 Nebraska team. He threw okay but only attempted 52 passes on the 2019 season. Nebraska was already his second school. That’s not a big time NIL deal candidate. It’s just not.

Your circular referencing yourself on the other points. Of course a more accurate passer is going to have receivers with a higher volume of receptions. How can you point to this metric, and completely disregard the fact that Gavin does not have the green light to adjust calls and look for an open receiver on his own after the snap? It’s a HUGE FACTOR. I don’t know why this is the case - but I do know that Noah Vedral had the green light to adjust play calls at will in both 2020 and 2021. Again, of course your going to complete more passes to open receivers (that’s just common sense). Hence why it’s such a limiting factor that Gavin isn’t trusted to look for the open man.
Even if we get an NV, who is he going to throw to? This year we only have Dremel and his 34 catches returning. This is where your argument is fundamentally flawed, and why we will again have a run dominated offense.

How do you know Gavin doesn’t have the green light to adjust the call?

Even if we get an NV, who is he going to throw to? This year we only have Dremel and his 34 catches returning. This is where your argument is fundamentally flawed, and why we will again have a run dominated offense.

Is anyone else- coming back? Jones from his injury, portal kid that didnt get approval, I also expect to see Strong make significant improvement.

What annoys me in this thread is that I actually ended the year with serious doubts if GW can reach his potential but so many stupid reactionary negative posters have made me have to go back to defending the kid.

So I don't get the constant rebuttal- YES, I know his has not been or has ever been Acur****inrit :) It seems that is the single thing I see anyone keep repeating over and over. I have also seen over and over for the past decade- almost no single QB here be able to hit a long or short pass consistently- NV had a decent % but those were so often what seemed to be pure junk passes unless Aron or Bo made something of it. He did hit short passes but so often, not in a place for YAC. Did he ever account for 10+ TDs?

GW has also made some incredible throws, both to sideline as well as some crossing routes in stride.

But the kid has not lost us games we should have won...We lost to the number 1, 7,10,16 teams as well as Wisc with their Starting QB and Maryland.
Noah would not have won those games for us. Simon would not have either.

You all have now made me really cheer this kid on next year. Want him to do either of the following- throw for 60+% and 30+ passes a game but get intercepted 15 times and we still only win 6 games...
Or raise it to 54% throw it maybe 25 times a game run for 40-50 per game and get 20+ TD ground and air under 10 int and win 7 or more

Reactions: rutgersal and mdk01
Is anyone else- coming back? Jones from his injury, portal kid that didnt get approval, I also expect to see Strong make significant improvement.

What annoys me in this thread is that I actually ended the year with serious doubts if GW can reach his potential but so many stupid reactionary negative posters have made me have to go back to defending the kid.

So I don't get the constant rebuttal- YES, I know his has not been or has ever been Acur****inrit :) It seems that is the single thing I see anyone keep repeating over and over. I have also seen over and over for the past decade- almost no single QB here be able to hit a long or short pass consistently- NV had a decent % but those were so often what seemed to be pure junk passes unless Aron or Bo made something of it. He did hit short passes but so often, not in a place for YAC. Did he ever account for 10+ TDs?

GW has also made some incredible throws, both to sideline as well as some crossing routes in stride.

But the kid has not lost us games we should have won...We lost to the number 1, 7,10,16 teams as well as Wisc with their Starting QB and Maryland.

You all have now made me really cheer this kid on next year. Want him to do either of the following- throw for 60+% and 30+ passes a game but get intercepted 15 times and we still only win 6 games...
Or raise it to 54% throw it maybe 25 times a game run for 40-50 per game and get 20+ TD ground and air under 10 int and win 7 or more
Your last paragraph is what everyone would want to see. If Gavin can do that we will be a legit team. I don’t think there’s much chance of it happening, but I sure am rooting for it to happen. Bottom line is we need someone to step up, and if it’s Gavin then we have an experience RU guy at the helm while the younger guys develop.…perfect situation.

Your last paragraph is what everyone would want to see. If Gavin can do that we will be a legit team. I don’t think there’s much chance of it happening, but I sure am rooting for it to happen. Bottom line is we need someone to step up, and if it’s Gavin then we have an experience RU guy at the helm while the younger guys develop.…perfect situation.
We need more than Gavin to step up- so many are putting the full weight of the losses on him but none of the positives for winning.

Outside of Gavin - my order of what needs most improvement
1) OC - really just couldnt figure out his game planning. Nothing with Running game to the outside at all - games he held back GW from running. All of a sudden after driving down the field to the 10 with 10 runs and 2 passes- he wants to go passing game...just crazy stuff
2) WR/TE's - We just need more and better
3) DL- not the starters but really need that depth. Even on the outside- having Baily and Lewis playing almost every snap is crazy
ST-s Patel is the only part of ST's I have any belief in.

We need more than Gavin to step up- so many are putting the full weight of the losses on him but none of the positives for winning.

Outside of Gavin - my order of what needs most improvement
1) OC - really just couldnt figure out his game planning. Nothing with Running game to the outside at all - games he held back GW from running. All of a sudden after driving down the field to the 10 with 10 runs and 2 passes- he wants to go passing game...just crazy stuff
2) WR/TE's - We just need more and better
3) DL- not the starters but really need that depth. Even on the outside- having Baily and Lewis playing almost every snap is crazy
ST-s Patel is the only part of ST's I have any belief in.
I agree with your points. Special teams could have a book written. These are not Schiano-like special teams. Return game was scared. Kicking game (aside from Patel who was awesome) was weak. Didn't put a lot of pressure on opponent kickers either.

I would also add the OL. They made huge strides - way improved year over year. Hoping we can see another step forward. Was very happy with the improvement....but keep it going.

I'm going to go ahead and leave these two of many rutgersal predictions that did not age well:

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and leave these two of many rutgersal predictions that this not age well:

Rold Gold

Reactions: Knight Shift

Is this a serious question? Hr never adjusts pass play calls by looking around to find an open receiver to throw to. Pass plays always go one of 3 ways. 1) He follows the script and throws the ball to a precalled spot (usually near one of the sidelines). Sometimes this throw is made into double or even triple coverage. 2) He throws the ball away or 3) occasionally he’ll scramble and convert a pass play to a QB rush. He should do this more.

So the question is why no in play pass reads? Either the staff doesn’t trust Gavin or he doesn’t trust himself. Neither is great.

Is this a serious question? Hr never adjusts pass play calls by looking around to find an open receiver to throw to. Pass plays always go one of 3 ways. 1) He follows the script and throws the ball to a precalled spot (usually near one of the sidelines). Sometimes this throw is made into double or even triple coverage. 2) He throws the ball away or 3) occasionally he’ll scramble and convert a pass play to a QB rush. He should do this more.

So the question is why no in play pass reads? Either the staff doesn’t trust Gavin or he doesn’t trust himself. Neither is great.
Can go through the Game videos of all his passes and find a whole heck of a lot where he goes at 2-3rd targets.
But like so many QB's with 2 years left. he does lock on too much- oh wait. I hear that with so many NFL QB's too.....

Can go through the Game videos of all his passes and find a whole heck of a lot where he goes at 2-3rd targets.
But like so many QB's with 2 years left. he does lock on too much- oh wait. I hear that with so many NFL QB's too.....
It’s very rare that he does what your suggesting. Maybe a few situations when he threw the ball up for grabs somewhere that it couldn’t be picked off (other sideline from the pre snap call). But I’m putting those in the bucket with throwing the ball away. He mostly executes the sideline play call For better or worse.

It’s very rare that he does what your suggesting. Maybe a few situations when he threw the ball up for grabs somewhere that it couldn’t be picked off (other sideline from the pre snap call). But I’m putting those in the bucket with throwing the ball away. He mostly executes the sideline play call For better or worse.
See my post above. He's rarely right. Stanley King, Artur were going to be worldbeaters.

Here's some more:

2019 prediction:

2017 prediction:

I think we’ll want to throw it 20 times, max, and run it 40 to 50 times, due to the lack of talent in our WR/TE Corp. Dremel and his 34 catches is the leading returning receiver and Strong is the 2nd most productive returning receiver with 15 catches.

Tight end are in worse shape.
None of the returning tight ends caught a pass last year.

These might be reasons to forgo a quarterback this year. We don’t have much to sell, not even a starting job, so
No Quarterback with options, is going to want to come here.

WR Chris Long is the name your looking for, who was expected to be a big contributor, but unfortunately got injured, and missed the rest of the year.

The Dremel throw in the Michigan Game showed what Gavin was capable of. Hit him perfectly in stride, for a TD which also netted a ton of YAC. He threw a good short pass in the Maryland game, so he is capable of making the throws we need made. He just needs to be consistent, which is the last thing Schiano says quarterbacks develop.

I think we’ll want to throw it 20 times, max, and run it 40 to 50 times, due to the lack of talent in our WR/TE Corp. Dremel and his 34 catches is the leading returning receiver and Strong is the 2nd most productive returning receiver with 15 catches.

Tight end are in worse shape.
None of the returning tight ends caught a pass last year.

These might be reasons to forgo a quarterback this year. We don’t have much to sell, not even a starting job, so
No Quarterback with options, is going to want to come here.

WR Chris Long is the name your looking for, who was expected to be a big contributor, but unfortunately got injured, and missed the rest of the year.

The Dremel throw in the Michigan Game showed what Gavin was capable of. Hit him perfectly in stride, for a TD which also netted a ton of YAC. He threw a good short pass in the Maryland game, so he is capable of making the throws we need made. He just needs to be consistent, which is the last thing Schiano says quarterbacks develop.
yes- Long...if he is healthy, is he 1) back and 2) a go to guy? What about the other portal guy that didn't get approval.

Wash = Mich
OSU>>>>USC
PSU>>>>Ucla
Iowa/Wisc/NW >>>Neb/Wisc/Minn/Ill

Next year- we have only 1 absolute loss
We will still have to work hard for 6 or more wins but will be nice to only have one game that gives us a single digit % chance of a win.
I was looking at our 2024 schedule and I think we win only 3-5 wins. Even Al mentioned even if we win 5 in one of his post. All the teams in the Big Ten got a QB that we wanted in the transfer portal.

Aug. 31: Howard. W
Sept. 7: Akron. W
Sept. 21: at Virginia Tech. L
Sept. 28: Washington*. L Transfer QB.Will Rogers 70% completion avg 3,000 yds pass for 4 season
Oct. 5: at Nebraska*. L. Transfer QB. Kyle McCord
Oct. 12: Wisconsin*. L Transfer QB Tyler Van Dyke
Oct. 19: UCLA*. L Ethan Garber 66% completion senior next year
Oct. 26: at USC*. L Transfer QB. Cam Ward
Nov. 9: Minnesota* Toss up. Transfer QB Max Brosmer 64% completion 3,500 yds season
Nov. 16: at Maryland*. L Transfer QB. MJ Morris
Nov. 23: Illinois* W. Transfer QB from last year. Luke Altmyer
Nov. 30: at Michigan State*. L Transfer QB Aiden Chiles. the number 1 QB in the portal

Some of them are getting 2-3 QB transfer just in case the first doesn’t work out and they also have their own four star QB recruits as backup. We’re worry about hurting an average QB feelings and he might transfer. 8 out of 12 teams decide the transfer portal option and we won’t because we have the perfect QB? Most of these teams have 4 star QB they recruited sitting on their bench.

Last edited:
I was looking at our 2024 schedule and I think we win only 3-5 wins. Even Al mentioned even if we win 5 in one of his post. All the teams in the Big Ten got a QB that we wanted in the transfer portal.

Aug. 31: Howard. W
Sept. 7: Akron. W
Sept. 21: at Virginia Tech. L
Sept. 28: Washington*. L Transfer QB. Will Rogers
Oct. 5: at Nebraska*. L. Transfer QB. Kyle McCord
Oct. 12: Wisconsin*. L Transfer QB Tyler Van Dyke
Oct. 19: UCLA*. L Transfer QB
Oct. 26: at USC*. L Transfer QB. Cam Ward
Nov. 9: Minnesota* Toss up. Transfer QB Max Brosmer
Nov. 16: at Maryland*. L Transfer QB. MJ Morris
Nov. 23: Illinois* W
Nov. 30: at Michigan State*. L Transfer QB Aiden Chiles

Some of them are getting 2-3 QB transfer just in case the first doesn’t work out and they also have their own four star QB recruits as backup.
No opinion until we find out if Monangai is returning.

No opinion until we find out if Monangai is returning.
Running ain’t doing it. The other team defense just needs to concentrate on the run. All these new coaches in the Big Ten knows it’s the passing game, same as the NFL. Defense can get us to 6 wins and if we are extremely lucky 7 games.

Last edited:

He does go to his first read the majority of the time, not much different from Nova and Teel, when they were first starting out. This is his only first year starting, and priority #1 is minimizing turnovers, which was achieved. I would expect him to do more next year. This year they kept it simple.

yes- Long...if he is healthy, is he 1) back and 2) a go to guy? What about the other portal guy that didn't get approval.
We just don’t know on Long and Brantley. Was surprised Long was lost for the season. Until Brantley gets cleared by the NCAA, his status is in the air.

Running ain’t doing it. The other team defense just needs to concentrate on the run. All these new coaches in the Big Ten knows it’s the passing game, same as the NFL. Defense can get us to 6 wins and if we are extremely lucky 7 games.
As long as we get to 6 wins, that’s good enough for now. No matter how much people want to pretend otherwise, this always was a 5 year building process. Year 6, in ‘25, I would expect to see us passing more, as we’ll have a full complement of receivers, who will be able to contribute. Next year, there are just so many unknowns we’ll be relying upon.

Aug. 31: Howard. W - 99.999999%
Sept. 7: Akron. W - 98%
Sept. 21: at Virginia Tech. L - Why? But can understand a tossup - we beat them by 19 here - they finished strong but who did they beat in their strong finish and how bad would they have lost to our final 4? 48% because it is a home game for them - (Tossup)
Sept. 28: Washington*. L Transfer QB. Will Rogers - We lose like Mich/ - 98% for them
Oct. 5: at Nebraska*. L. Transfer QB. Kyle McCord(Neb gave up 30 sacks and they had 2 NFL receivers) Tossup
Oct. 12: Wisconsin*. L Transfer QB Tyler Van Dyke - really? - NFL team to a 7-5 record- 65% for them
Oct. 19: UCLA*. L Ethan Garber 66% completion senior next year 75% for them
Oct. 26: at USC*. L Transfer QB. Cam Ward - 75% for them
Nov. 9: Minnesota* Toss up. Transfer QB Max Brosmer - Tossup
Nov. 16: at Maryland*. L Transfer QB. MJ Morris - not better than Tua - 65% for them
Nov. 23: Illinois* W
Nov. 30: at Michigan State*. L Transfer QB Aiden Chiles - W

Interesting hypothetical question for you and Yes.

Let’s pretend we’re in an alternate universe and Johnny Langan could’ve been cloned for this season. He’s now the starting QB for 2023 (his clone is still at TE). What do you think our record is? Please review the stats and highlights from the 2019 Liberty (8-5) game before responding. Liberty, to be fair, wasn’t good, but was far from Wagner. This game was the only opportunity Langan ever had at QB with an OL that wasn’t overmatched to the point where his stats are meaningless. And recall - Langan was also a frosh then (as a frosh Wimsatt was throwing picks against Wagner) - so please don’t reference his performance in any other 2019 games.

Johnny’s far from a BIG starting QB talent. That’s not my point here. You guys keep saying Gavin’s legs are so valuable to Kyle’s success. So I’m spinning this a little differently to promote some reflection. Johnny can run. No denying that. Johnny has the toughness to avoid sacks at least comparably to Gavin. Johnny can’t throw long balls (worse even than Noah), but in the one opportunity where he had time vs Liberty, he showed he could throw accurately on the shorts and mediums with adequate protection.

So I ask again - what would our record be?

Last edited:

Let’s pretend we’re in an alternate universe and Johnny Langan could’ve been cloned for this season. He’s now the starting QB for 2023 (his clone is still at TE). What do you think our record is? Please review the stats and highlights from the 2019 Liberty (8-5) game before responding. Liberty, to be fair, wasn’t good, but was far from Wagner. This game was the only opportunity Langan ever had at QB with an OL that wasn’t overmatched to the point where his stats are meaningless. And recall - Langan was also a frosh then (as a frosh Wimsatt was throwing picks against Wagner) - so please don’t reference his performance in any other 2019 games.

Johnny’s far from a BIG starting QB talent. That’s not my point here. You guys keep saying Gavin’s legs are so valuable to Kyle’s success. So I’m spinning this a little differently to promote some reflection. Johnny can run. No denying that. Johnny has the toughness to avoid sacks at least comparably to Gavin. Johnny can’t throw long balls (worse even than Noah), but in the one opportunity where he had time vs Liberty, he showed he could throw accurately on the shorts and mediums with adequate protection.

With Jonny, We’re a 4 win team, imo. MSU and VT are losses. Gavin had a huge rushing game at VT, which Jonny wasn’t going to be able to replicate. And Gavin was clutch vs MSU.

I sort of agree with Al above. Our record would not be better...GW gave us 18 TD's.

Now- to go back to where I started...At the end of this season- I feared GW may never hit is potential and this year may be his ceiling.
But then, I see so many people blaming every loss on him and every win in spite of him...That just isn't true. So, it made me have to start defending the kid.
I do think just by being a year older and stable coaching- he will get a little better if he starts next year, but that really isn't enough. I would be thrilled to get a "good" P5 QB here from the portal. But GW was more responsible for the 6 wins then he was responsible for 6 loses.

With Jonny, We’re a 4 win team, imo. MSU and VT are losses. Gavin had a huge rushing game at VT, which Jonny wasn’t going to be able to replicate. And Gavin was clutch vs MSU.

On second thought - let’s bring in the QB rush stats in those mismatches games after all. Last 5 games of the season - all bowl teams and several ranked (Liberty the only one not a BIG team). Langan rushed for 40+ yards in every one of those games as a frosh. Now as a super senior 4+ years worth of strength and conditioning later your saying he couldn’t deliver better than that output with a more competent OL against VTech at home? Wimsatt rushed for one 34 yard touchdown for a total of 87 yards. Ok let’s say Langan doesn’t get that but your seriously arguing he wouldn’t match the rest of his output? We won the game by 19. Oh yeah - it’d be pretty tough to underperform 7 of 16 for 46 yards in the air.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT