ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt will be our Starting Quarterback next year

Try again. Most of the time I just think your takes are wrong - never mind offensive. The ones on Caleb were the worst of all (but this is the football forum so never mind that).

In this case, I appreciate fans trying to be optimistic about Gavin, but I just don’t see an argument in favor of not bringing in someone else with proven experience to compete with him for the starting role.

So yeah I agree with you in this one, limited circumstance (blind analogy not withstanding). We could literally pick the name out of a hat of any other FBS QB who took meaningful snaps and guarantee their completion rate would be a pretty material upgrade because to your point, our incumbent ranks dead last.
The desirable qb whom we’d want to challenge Gavin for the starting job, isn’t likely because we don’t have the NIL support. I’d prefer to cast my lot with the freshmen because our history with transfers has not been good.

We are in Year 5 of this build, and we are still building the WR and TE Corp

The desirable qb whom we’d want to challenge Gavin for the starting job, isn’t likely because we don’t have the NIL support. I’d prefer to cast my lot with the freshmen because our history with transfers has not been good.

AJ will absolutely compete (I think he will beat Gavin). But we need a transfer to solidfy the room. Cannot count on a frosh being ready...it's not a good plan. We don't need a high level qb to compete with Gavin...he's inaccurate and unable to read/go thru progressions. It does not take much to achieve more...a simply competent portal qb will do the trick.

AJ will absolutely compete (I think he will beat Gavin). But we need a transfer to solidfy the room. Cannot count on a frosh being ready...it's not a good plan. We don't need a high level qb to compete with Gavin...he's inaccurate and unable to read/go thru progressions. It does not take much to achieve more...a simply competent portal qb will do the trick.
The constraint is our level of NIL support. If they can’t get anyone that they feel strengthens the room, it makes sense to stand pat.

Ajani has already been in the program a year, should know the playbook, and should be ready to go. He throws accurately.

The constraint is our level of NIL support. If they can’t get anyone that they feel strengthens the room, it makes sense to stand pat.

Ajani has already been in the program a year, should know the playbook, and should be ready to go. He throws accurately.
Hey Al- question for you on NIL- how is the MBB team able to pull together major NIL deals to the top top recruits in the country but the football team can't? And with the MBB NIL's- they seem like legit deals and not collectives.

Hey Al- question for you on NIL- how is the MBB team able to pull together major NIL deals to the top top recruits in the country but the football team can't? And with the MBB NIL's- they seem like legit deals and not collectives.
The rumour is that Adidas and supporters from Goldman Sachs are funding the MBB NIL. Football doesn’t have this support.

It’s unlikely we could win 6 games if we needed to go with a frosh to lead us. Too much of a learning curve plus the strength and conditioning factor. We need a transfer to replace Evan at minimum. Rather than a pocket passer, Schiano will likely seek out a Vedral type, and that’s fine. We need a stop gap type grad transfer in case Gavin doesn’t step up his game. One who doesn’t turn the ball over, is mobile and can complete ordinary short passes reliably. That’s the compliment to Gavin within our offensive scheme. In Schiano’s defense, he thought he was going to have that combo in 2022. Evan probably should’ve transferred in 2023 to be honest. Don’t laugh but Langhan would’ve fit the mold better than him. I don’t think Greg is opposed to playing anyone other than Wimsatt. He’s just not looking to move away from run first style which doesn’t complement a pocket passer well.

Reactions: RU-05

Wonder if being local from Don Bosco helps.

Here is the thing with our Cuse troll- Al- you are ours to love and sometimes hate....(not me, but others lol) And you take a lot of heat from so many on here-
This is the first time I have seen you just get mad at someone on here- and it has been almost 20 years. The fact you just got tired of this POS should say a lot to everyone else- Shelby just needs to go back to the tundra. GTF out of here
Agreed. I may not always agree with Al. And him being over the top is expected and accepted here. If we disagree with him fine but a troll like Shelby does not have that luxury and I like you will defend him. Because he is our Al and the loyalist of loyal sons!!!!

Reactions: yesrutgers01

You keep saying this but guys like Noah Vedral who transferred after a respectable (but not dazzling) back up season are not NIL candidates. There will be dozens of them to choose from. Two seasons worth of 2020 and 2021 data say Gavin isn’t stand away better than him. There’s no way for you to spin it otherwise. The kid completed 61% and 58% of his passes from 2020-21 before he got hurt behind a much weaker line. He also ran for 2.8 and 2.9 YPC average - consistently positive yardage (again behind a much weaker line). Maybe Gavin improves and beats out a kid who would come in and put up these numbers but it’s far from a slam dunk. And it’s certainly not likely that a frosh would beat out a kid like this on the 2 deep.

You keep saying this but guys like Noah Vedral who transferred after a respectable (but not dazzling) back up season are not NIL candidates. There will be dozens of them to choose from. Two seasons worth of 2020 and 2021 data say Gavin isn’t stand away better than him. There’s no way for you to spin it otherwise. The kid completed 61% and 58% of his passes from 2020-21 before he got hurt behind a much weaker line. He also ran for 2.8 and 2.9 YPC average - consistently positive yardage (again behind a much weaker line). Maybe Gavin improves and beats out a kid who would come in and put up these numbers but it’s far from a slam dunk. And it’s certainly not likely that a frosh would beat out a kid like this on the 2 deep.
It's a different day so Fieldhouse Al has a different excuse. Why do you chase his constantly moving goalposts when you can just ignore the pathetic, Schiano-toe-licking obsequious drivel without any counter-analysis like everyone else does.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
The rumour is that Adidas and supporters from Goldman Sachs are funding the MBB NIL. Football doesn’t have this support.
I think he has already signed with Fanatics...Wish we could get the same type of corporate support with football. But, I assume, there is more of an instant gratification when it comes to signing a BB player. Especially if they are either a 1 or 2 and done type guy

You keep on saying "if they can't get anyone". Of course that's the case. The whole point is that we need a transfer QB to elevate the room and play if none of the other options can do better than what GW did this year. If nobody will come then we have a bigger shit show than we even imagined. There is absolutely a qb in the portal that can outplay GW that is attainable (without some excessive NIL requirement). The staff is absolutely trying to find that person. If they don't get it done then it's a failure in recruiting. Going into next season without a transfer is near suicide.

Regarding Ajani - I hope he's ready to go. I've seen very little of him so I don't really know what he does in games. AJ is very accurate so hopefully one of these two can get the job done. But with the importance of this position in football, it would be extremely foolish not to bring in one more guy who has played at the college level.

I think he has already signed with Fanatics...Wish we could get the same type of corporate support with football. But, I assume, there is more of an instant gratification when it comes to signing a BB player. Especially if they are either a 1 or 2 and done type guy
Fanatics didn't sign him for the value he can bring next year. They signed him for the potential value he will bring after RU. So you are right in a sense...it's deferred gratification, but way closer to instant than any football player you could align with.

You keep on saying "if they can't get anyone". Of course that's the case. The whole point is that we need a transfer QB to elevate the room and play if none of the other options can do better than what GW did this year. If nobody will come then we have a bigger shit show than we even imagined. There is absolutely a qb in the portal that can outplay GW that is attainable (without some excessive NIL requirement). The staff is absolutely trying to find that person. If they don't get it done then it's a failure in recruiting. Going into next season without a transfer is near suicide.

Regarding Ajani - I hope he's ready to go. I've seen very little of him so I don't really know what he does in games. AJ is very accurate so hopefully one of these two can get the job done. But with the importance of this position in football, it would be extremely foolish not to bring in one more guy who has played at the college level.
How do you know the staff is "absolutely trying to find that person who can outplay GW" ? That sounds a lot like OJ Simpson "absolutely trying to find Nicole's murderer."

It wouldn't be that difficult to find someone better, or at least a better passer. What would be very hard to do is find someone worse.

How do you know the staff is "absolutely trying to find that person who can outplay GW" ? That sounds a lot like OJ Simpson "absolutely trying to find Nicole's murderer."

It wouldn't be that difficult to find someone better, or at least a better passer. What would be very hard to do is find someone worse.
This coming from the king of hyperbolic statements.

There's more to it than "can outplay GW". It's the attainable person....needs to be affordable and needs to be willing to come to this situation where we essentially have a named starter and they will have to come and try to win the job. No slam dunk...but it's their job to make it work.

This coming from the king of hyperbolic statements.

There's more to it than "can outplay GW". It's the attainable person....needs to be affordable and needs to be willing to come to this situation where we essentially have a named starter and they will have to come and try to win the job. No slam dunk...but it's their job to make it work.
My opinion is that there was never a real opportunity last year for someone to win the job, and there won't be an opportunity this year or next either barring a total nosedive to a 2-3 win season.

I think the #2 and #3 are already here.

My opinion is that there was never a real opportunity last year for someone to win the job, and there won't be an opportunity this year or next either barring a total nosedive to a 2-3 win season.

Even if that was true this year, it wasn’t in 2022. If Noah was healthy the position would’ve been his. Wimsatt got his chance for a full year in 2023. Greg did right by the kid he convinced to give up his senior year and come to Rutgers. We gave Gavin every chance possible to figure things out. He’s not going to get another year to complete under 50% of his passes. I think Greg will make a change now if Gavin’s accuracy doesn’t improve considerably.

Reactions: RU-05
in your scenario, when is ‘make a change now if accuracy doesn’t improve’? It would be sometime during next season, probably toward the end, right ?

So I ask again…who would come here before the season. Someone knowing there wouldn’t be a competition. That’s why I say #2 and #3 are already here.

This guy could land at Rutgers. He isn’t very good but still better than Wimsatt and a decent stopgap until Surace or maybe Sheppard is ready
would not be much of an upgrade...If we are going to do the Portal, let's make sure it's a real upgrade.

I get what you are saying. Sure doesn't seem like we had a real competition for the 2023 season. But I expect that coaching staff has seen enough. If GW doesn't show major improvement in the spring...and either of 2 or 3 outshines him...we'll see one of those guys get a chance. GW needs to improve more going into next year than he did going into this year...or it's not enough and time to cut bait (from a starter standpoint). But we are not really sure if 2 and 3 are ready. Simon's gone and we need one more to ensure we have a solid option, just can't let the qb spot hold back a pretty good team. I disagree with Al who keeps suggesting we don't have the money for a portal guy. We just need an average guy to bring stability...don't need a big time qb to get better and win more games. Also disagree with Al about NIL money. If we find a bargain, we'll find the money. The rebuild is going fairly well and qb performance next season will be critical to momentum.

I get what you are saying. Sure doesn't seem like we had a real competition for the 2023 season. But I expect that coaching staff has seen enough. If GW doesn't show major improvement in the spring...and either of 2 or 3 outshines him...we'll see one of those guys get a chance. GW needs to improve more going into next year than he did going into this year...or it's not enough and time to cut bait (from a starter standpoint). But we are not really sure if 2 and 3 are ready. Simon's gone and we need one more to ensure we have a solid option, just can't let the qb spot hold back a pretty good team. I disagree with Al who keeps suggesting we don't have the money for a portal guy. We just need an average guy to bring stability...don't need a big time qb to get better and win more games. Also disagree with Al about NIL money. If we find a bargain, we'll find the money. The rebuild is going fairly well and qb performance next season will be critical to momentum.
I agree with your thinking, but I feel GS sees things differently. The coaches were aware GW is extremely inaccurate all along yet no other QB had any shot at the job. His skills fit Schiano’s QB preferences and the team did win 6. In GS’s mind, No reason to change

in your scenario, when is ‘make a change now if accuracy doesn’t improve’? It would be sometime during next season, probably toward the end, right ?

So I ask again…who would come here before the season. Someone knowing there wouldn’t be a competition. That’s why I say #2 and #3 are already here.

No - I honestly think if we brought in a kid like Noah that was limited with the long ball, but could run some, showed he could be trusted to protect the football, and could accurately make shorter throws and adjust reads mid plays - that player would ultimately earn the starting role before the start of the season if GW doesn’t improve at all (hypothetically). If Gavin improves a little, and it’s close, maybe Gavin would get the nod in the first few games but if he’s not throwing around 60% against bad teams, a switch would be made. The key would be bringing in a kid who is good at protecting the football. He’s not going to ride a pocket passer who is prone to turnovers. The only way we’d ever go that direction is if he prioritizes trying to find the next Burton at full back to be able to transform to a “run often “pro style” scheme.

No - I honestly think if we brought in a kid like Noah that was limited with the long ball, but could run some, showed he could be trusted to protect the football, and could accurately make shorter throws and adjust reads mid plays - that player would ultimately earn the starting role before the start of the season if GW doesn’t improve at all (hypothetically). If Gavin improves a little, and it’s close, maybe Gavin would get the nod in the first few games but if he’s not throwing around 60% against bad teams, a switch would be made. The key would be bringing in a kid who is good at protecting the football. He’s not going to ride a pocket passer who is prone to turnovers. The only way we’d ever go that direction is if he prioritizes trying to find the next Burton at full back to be able to transform to a “run often “pro style” scheme.
You and scarlet dog continue to be hyper focused on accuracy, while Schiano is hyper focused on Turnovers. Don’t think Gavin will ever be a 60% passer. He’ll probably be 55% at best by his senior year. For Schiano, this is good enough.

Our WR Corp won’t sustain a 60% passer because it lacks talent. That’s why this offense will continue to be run oriented.

We ran the ball 472 times and threw 279 times. That’s a 62% to 38% split. That’s why passing productivity isn’t so important.

Till today, there have been 0 known offers that have gone out to quarterbacks. Which tells me quarterback isn’t the biggest priority right now.

That’s why Gavin Will continue to be the QB next year with the same mandate as this year: win 6 games and don’t turn the ball over.

You and scarlet dog continue to be hyper focused on accuracy, while Schiano is hyper focused on Turnovers. Don’t think Gavin will ever be a 60% passer. He’ll probably be 55% at best by his senior year. For Schiano, this is good enough.

Our WR Corp won’t sustain a 60% passer because it lacks talent. That’s why this offense will continue to be run oriented.

We ran the ball 472 times and threw 279 times. That’s a 62% to 38% split. That’s why passing productivity isn’t so important.

Till today, there have been 0 known offers that have gone out to quarterbacks. Which tells me quarterback isn’t the biggest priority right now.

That’s why Gavin Will continue to be the QB next year with the same mandate as this year: win 6 games and don’t turn the ball over.

Did you read my post? I’m not suggesting Schiano would swap Wimsatt for someone who is prone to turnovers. I said as much. We’re not going to look for an Evan Simon. He’s going to target a NV type. Ideally we can land one with a bit more potential in terms of arm strength.

For all his limitations, NV protected the football. Despite Gavin’s improvement in this area, our incumbent from 2 seasons ago would still be a FAR more reliable choice from that perspective alone. Not only is it not close - we’re talking different galaxies. The stats don’t tell anywhere near the whole story (and Noah threw less picks in 2021 anyway - 7 INTs compared to Gavin’s 8 INTs to date). But Noah protected the ball having the green light to adjust plays on his own post snap (whereas Gavin does not have that trust - it’s night and day). Also - Noah was throwing and running under pressure far more often than Gavin due to a depleted 2021 line. As I said - there is no argument to suggest that Gavin fits “the ball is the program” mantra better than a NV type. It’d be a ridiculous argument.

NV wasn’t the most exciting QB. That’s for sure. But he absolutely fits the mold of everything Greg wants. And there are dozens of guys out there like him (hopefully a bit better as I said) that we could add to the team.

Your approach makes good sense as a general strategy. But I say often, for our coach in 2024, what’s his motivation ? Buffoon Al in a rare, honest admission says ‘6 wins is good enough’ for Schiano and that’s right. For Schiano it is.

He’s got 4 years left on his contract and he knows the school can’t fire him for at least 3.

The top local media guy covering the team says he deserves a raise and extension.

He continues to spin his job here as a long term project and the OC is now also using that same language. He’s milking it because he can.

You and me judge him one season at a time but that’s not how he judges his own performance.

To him it’s like a boxing match. Do just enough to win every round. He won 2023. He doesn’t need to upgrade QB, as easy at that would be to do, to win 2024 or 2025. Closer to the end of the contract his motivations will be different.

Your approach makes good sense as a general strategy. But I say often, for our coach in 2024, what’s his motivation ? Buffoon Al in a rare, honest admission says ‘6 wins is good enough’ for Schiano and that’s right. For Schiano it is.

He’s got 4 years left on his contract and he knows the school can’t fire him for at least 3.

The top local media guy covering the team says he deserves a raise and extension.

He continues to spin his job here as a long term project and the OC is now also using that same language. He’s milking it because he can.

You and me judge him one season at a time but that’s not how he judges his own performance.

To him it’s like a boxing match. Do just enough to win every round. He won 2023. He doesn’t need to upgrade QB, as easy at that would be to do, to win 2024 or 2025. Closer to the end of the contract his motivations will be different.
6 wins next year will be much tougher to achieve than 6 wins this year. People are not seeing PSU, OSU, and Michigan and thinking it is a much easier conference schedule. Replacing those schools with USC, UCLA, and Washington is a tough three team gauntlet to run. VTech will continue to improve and it is at VTech. Rhule will improve Nebraska, again an away game. There is no Indiana on the schedule and Illinois and Minny will not be gimmies.

I mean - obviously Schiano wants to win as many games as possible right? He favors a risk averse style - and arguably a by product of that stategy is a trade off between a boost to the probability of not losing more than 6-7 games and a decrease to the odds of an 8+ win season. (Note that the former failed in 2022 largely due to a flurry of freak injuries. That team wins more than 4 games if NV and then Gavin don’t suddenly go down right after training camp - in the least, if Noah’s hand didn’t give out after a few series he wins the Nebraska game).

But even if you take this at face value, Al’s argument that we should throw all our eggs into Gavin and ride him, doesn’t make sense. What if Gavin gets hurt (as a running QB he’s certainly not immune to that possibility). I find it hard to believe Greg would like his chances of getting to 6-6 with a frosh. Greg must also realize that there will be many mediocre FBS QBs out there in the portal that could’ve led us to 6-6 this year. Your narrative that none of them would come to us because of how Schiano handled Evan isn’t necessarily true. All we have to do is point to Vedral. His story ended in freak injury, but nonetheless, he’s an example of a transfer brought in for the Schiano 2.0 era who became a multi-year starter at Rutgers. Greg will continue to defend his decision to stick with Gavin this year with his praise of Gavin’s ability to protect the football. That’s fine - because when he shops the portal, rest assured he’s not going hunting for an EJ Warner (much to some of our dismay). He’ll want a game manager - and I’m sure we will land one. Even if the upside potential on the name is boring as nails. But we’ll still add someone. If we don’t, that’s an epic fail on Greg. As I said, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t come through in this regard.

It's a different day so Fieldhouse Al has a different excuse. Why do you chase his constantly moving goalposts when you can just ignore the pathetic, Schiano-toe-licking obsequious drivel without any counter-analysis like everyone else does

6 wins next year will be much tougher to achieve than 6 wins this year. People are not seeing PSU, OSU, and Michigan and thinking it is a much easier conference schedule. Replacing those schools with USC, UCLA, and Washington is a tough three team gauntlet to run. VTech will continue to improve and it is at VTech. Rhule will improve Nebraska, again an away game. There is no Indiana on the schedule and Illinois and Minny will not be gimmies.

Of USC, UCLA and Washington, only Washington was in the same class as OSU, PSU, and UM. It's not an easy schedule, but not as tough as 2023. And can't it be said that Rutgers will continue to improve, just like VaTech?

I think the level of defense in the trenches that we’re going up against drops a little at least. We open the season with home games against 2 terrible teams (Howard and Akron). I can’t imagine if Gavin starts those games and doesn’t complete well over half his passes in those games, that Greg wouldn’t give someone more accurate a chance.

Of USC, UCLA and Washington, only Washington was in the same class as OSU, PSU, and UM. It's not an easy schedule, but not as tough as 2023. And can't it be said that Rutgers will continue to improve, just like VaTech?
The difference is - Drones made a much bigger jump than Gavin. That’s why we need to plug the hole at the QB position in the portal. We can’t take a chance that Gavin has plateaued

The difference is - Drones made a much bigger jump than Gavin. That’s why we need to plug the hole at the QB position in the portal. We can’t take a chance that Gavin has plateaued

And arguably our D will be better than this year given the returnees. It can't be based on 1 player.

And arguably our D will be better than this year given the returnees. It can't be based on 1 player.
Of course it’s not based on one player but the QB touches the ball more than everyone else so that position is obviously important.

I’m optimistic there’s a way for Greg to handle this that will set us up to be well positioned for next year. He’s not going to shatter Gavin’s confidence by bringing in a transfer. Evan left. Langan was a distant back up QB with prior snap experience. He graduated. The narrative is we’re bringing in someone with experience to replace them. Gavin needs to be told the areas he’s expected to improve on to remain the starter in 2024. And the narrative in shopping the portal is the opposite - we need someone who can be trusted not to give the ball away - we weren’t accurate enough last season. This is what we’re looking for… plenty of QBs out there will believe they can outperform Gavin’s numbers from this year and with our improved OL - I see it that we have a lot to sell here. Plenty of guys will find this an exciting opportunity.

I love a lot of things about Schiano teams but the dread he projects at some offensive players is unhealthy. Imagine taking the field knowing your HC doesn't have much confidence in you (maybe next year in Part 2).

Its like a QB has to play with one hand behind his back because using two can cause more turnovers. How many things that Gavin gets criticized for "not doing" trace back to coaching?
Most of them. Coach Fieldhouse would solve that problem.

I think the level of defense in the trenches that we’re going up against drops a little at least. We open the season with home games against 2 terrible teams (Howard and Akron). I can’t imagine if Gavin starts those games and doesn’t complete well over half his passes in those games, that Greg wouldn’t give someone more accurate a chance.

But are we 2-0 in those games?
If so, I personally wouldn't expect a change.
We won a game with 39 yards passing and people said "all that matters are wins". Even though it proved unsustainable as the level of competition increased.

I mean - obviously Schiano wants to win as many games as possible right? He favors a risk averse style - and arguably a by product of that stategy is a trade off between a boost to the probability of not losing more than 6-7 games and a decrease to the odds of an 8+ win season. (Note that the former failed in 2022 largely due to a flurry of freak injuries. That team wins more than 4 games if NV and then Gavin don’t suddenly go down right after training camp - in the least, if Noah’s hand didn’t give out after a few series he wins the Nebraska game).

But even if you take this at face value, Al’s argument that we should throw all our eggs into Gavin and ride him, doesn’t make sense. What if Gavin gets hurt (as a running QB he’s certainly not immune to that possibility). I find it hard to believe Greg would like his chances of getting to 6-6 with a frosh. Greg must also realize that there will be many mediocre FBS QBs out there in the portal that could’ve led us to 6-6 this year. Your narrative that none of them would come to us because of how Schiano handled Evan isn’t necessarily true. All we have to do is point to Vedral. His story ended in freak injury, but nonetheless, he’s an example of a transfer brought in for the Schiano 2.0 era who became a multi-year starter at Rutgers. Greg will continue to defend his decision to stick with Gavin this year with his praise of Gavin’s ability to protect the football. That’s fine - because when he shops the portal, rest assured he’s not going hunting for an EJ Warner (much to some of our dismay). He’ll want a game manager - and I’m sure we will land one. Even if the upside potential on the name is boring as nails. But we’ll still add someone. If we don’t, that’s an epic fail on Greg. As I said, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t come through in this regard.
You say "should throw our eggs....". Focus on "should". Who should ? See above. Schiano's perspective is different than ours. Schiano's aiming for "bowl eligibilty and good enough". Schiano's playing the long game. Every other word out of his mouth is an attempt to move the goalpost and FieldhouseAl constantly regurgitates it. KC is following the same script. Someone on this board did mock the idea that in Schiano's 4th year we are in the 1st year of a 3 year offense rebuild. Absurd, right ? But that's Schiano's script. Milking it to the end.

But I did note that a nosedive to 2-3 wins does force Schiano's hand, and then he makes a move one of the other two already on the roster. That's his play.

No one's coming from the portal to be a certain QB2 or QB3.

But are we 2-0 in those games?
If so, I personally wouldn't expect a change.
We won a game with 39 yards passing and people said "all that matters are wins". Even though it proved unsustainable as the level of competition increased.

It’s different. We blew out a BIG team in our season opener before that game. Next year a real game won’t proceed the cupcakes as a litmus test.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I love a lot of things about Schiano teams but the dread he projects at some offensive players is unhealthy. Imagine taking the field knowing your HC doesn't have much confidence in you (maybe next year in Part 2).

Its like a QB has to play with one hand behind his back because using two can cause more turnovers. How many things that Gavin gets criticized for "not doing" trace back to coaching?

This is why the "going 1-0 every week" isn't always great and "all that matters is best strategy to win this week".
It doesn't allow long term development in-game situations.

After we were bowl eligible (overall season goal accomplished), Gavin needed to be told:

"This next game is yours. Good or bad. Worried about an INT? Take the chance and throw it. Learn the throws that will and won't work. You're NOT getting pulled. We arent going to run it up the middle all game after an INT. Don't be hesitant and over think. Try to make plays. Then we'll review and learn from it going forward."

You say "should throw our eggs....". Focus on "should". Who should ? See above. Schiano's perspective is different than ours. Schiano's aiming for "bowl eligibilty and good enough". Schiano's playing the long game. Every other word out of his mouth is an attempt to move the goalpost and FieldhouseAl constantly regurgitates it. KC is following the same script. Someone on this board did mock the idea that in Schiano's 4th year we are in the 1st year of a 3 year offense rebuild. Absurd, right ? But that's Schiano's script. Milking it to the end.

But I did note that a nosedive to 2-3 wins does force Schiano's hand, and then he makes a move one of the other two already on the roster. That's his play.

No one's coming from the portal to be a certain QB2 or QB3.

A grad transfer will not be a certain QB2-3 next season. The landscape from Schiano’s seat on GW as a redshirt junior is different from what it was when he was first going into his sophomore season. There was a lot more risk for him in passing Gavin by this season. If Gavin was beat out this year he would’ve moved on and been classified a recruiting bust. Now? It would just be that a grad transfer came in and beat him out for the starting role after he led us to a bowl last season. Sure - Gavin could look graduate and transfer, but he’d probably have to play a level down in that scenerio. He’d probably stick around to compete with Surace in his senior year.

I love when every other team we play are going to be improved next year but we won't...

As much as you all don't like our QB- I am sure there will be improvement there. Our OL will have a 2nd year with Coach Fitz - WR's will be better, defense isn't losing a ton and I expect them to be at leas the same as this year.

And let's also look at VaTech- yeah, QB got better and they ended up with some wins- did you all see who their wins were against- it wasn't murderers row.
Neb - didn't win any top games either - Minn, good win against Iowa - Ill- ehhh
Much easier West swing then we had this year.
Wash replaces Mich as an equal but 7-5 USC and UCLA do not even compare to OSU/PSU

It still is a tough schedule but a lot easier than this year

Reactions: mdk01
A grad transfer will not be a certain QB2-3 next season. The landscape from Schiano’s seat on GW as a redshirt junior is different from what it was when he was first going into his sophomore season. There was a lot more risk for him in passing Gavin by this season. If Gavin was beat out this year he would’ve moved on and been classified a recruiting bust. Now? It would just be that a grad transfer came in and beat him out for the starting role after he led us to a bowl last season. Sure - Gavin could look graduate and transfer, but he’d probably have to play a level down in that scenerio. He’d probably stick around to compete with Surace in his senior year.
we will see, right ? we will see if Schiano brings anyone in to compete for the job. I don't think he will. If 2024 goes south forcing a change, we'll see either Shepard or Surace. IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT