ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt will be our Starting Quarterback next year

With Jonny, We’re a 4 win team, imo. MSU and VT are losses. Gavin had a huge rushing game at VT, which Jonny wasn’t going to be able to replicate. And Gavin was clutch vs MSU.
Also - on Michigan State - there’s no way to know for sure, but gavin rushed for negative 11 yards in that one so it’s doubtful Langan would’ve done worse rushing.

Basically your arguing - what? Langan couldn’t have matched 13 /28 for 181 yards in the air (with 2 picks) and a TD against Michigan State? Again - scratch what I said about disregarding those other games. In his final (most recent) game at QB, against 10th ranked PSU Johnny threw for 161 yards 12/24 and no picks. And again - your certain that 4 years of college football experience later, against a much worse team with way better blocking he couldn’t have matched Wimsatt’s numbers above? Why?

Also - on Michigan State - there’s no way to know for sure, but gavin rushed for negative 11 yards in that one so it’s doubtful Langan would’ve done worse rushing.

Basically your arguing - what? Langan couldn’t have matched 13 /28 for 181 yards in the air (with 2 picks) and a TD against Michigan State? Again - scratch what I said about disregarding those other games. In his final (most recent) game at QB, against 10th ranked PSU Johnny threw for 161 yards 12/24 and no picks. And again - your certain that 4 years of college football experience later, against a much worse team with way better blocking he couldn’t have matched Wimsatt’s numbers above? Why?
Im arguing that Langan couldn’t have made the plays Gavin made to beat MSU and VT.

I sort of agree with Al above. Our record would not be better...GW gave us 18 TD's.

Now- to go back to where I started...At the end of this season- I feared GW may never hit is potential and this year may be his ceiling.
But then, I see so many people blaming every loss on him and every win in spite of him...That just isn't true. So, it made me have to start defending the kid.
I do think just by being a year older and stable coaching- he will get a little better if he starts next year, but that really isn't enough. I would be thrilled to get a "good" P5 QB here from the portal. But GW was more responsible for the 6 wins then he was responsible for 6 loses.

I’m not saying our record would be better. I’m presenting what I think is a reasonable argument that it would probably be about the same. Just as your suggesting Wimsatt will and/or has improved as he’s gotten older, why wouldn’t the same apply to Langan? The data we have on Langan at QB was from his frosh season with a dreadfully depleted surrounding cast.

Im arguing that Langan couldn’t have made the plays Gavin made to beat MSU and VT.

First of all, Langan is an excellent runner and arguably even a better grinder than Wimsatt. He might be less explosive but it’s silly to argue he couldn’t make rush plays with his legs as QB. We won the VTech game by 19. Gavin made one play to majorly contribute to that. It’s still a win without that 34 yard rush.

As for Michigan State - what your arguing makes no sense. Langan wouldn’t attempt those exact plays. He’d make different throws that are more appropriate for his own skill set. Maybe he wouldn’t have thrown the 2 picks to put us in the hole in the first place. The point is - it’s ridiculous to argue that super senior Langan could not match 181 yards worth of passing on less than 50% completion with a 2 pick allowance.

First of all, Langan is an excellent runner and arguably even a better grinder than Wimsatt. He might be less explosive but it’s silly to argue he couldn’t make rush plays with his legs as QB. We won the VTech game by 19. Gavin made one play to majorly contribute to that. It’s still a win without that 34 yard rush.

As for Michigan State - what your arguing makes no sense. Langan wouldn’t attempt those exact plays. He’d make different throws that are more appropriate for his own skill set. Maybe he wouldn’t have thrown the 2 picks to put us in the hole in the first place. The point is - it’s ridiculous to argue that super senior Langan could not match 181 yards worth of passing on less than 50% completion with a 2 pick allowance.
To get past this crazy talk- I’ll even take liberty and speak for Al…as you expect, JL would have easily won those 6 games and we may not have even needed a comeback against MSU. Pretty sure, we would not have been shutout by Iowa and would have beaten Maryland.
We all agree- time to move on because I hate when you get into comparing two different players as it makes it sound like we are against JL, which we are not. You win.

To get past this crazy talk- I’ll even take liberty and speak for Al…as you expect, JL would have easily won those 6 games and we may not have even needed a comeback against MSU. Pretty sure, we would not have been shutout by Iowa and would have beaten Maryland.
We all agree- time to move on because I hate when you get into comparing two different players as it makes it sound like we are against JL, which we are not. You win.

I wasn’t trying to do that. I don’t think Johnny Langan is good - or even better than Gavin. I only brought him up because the argument against Gavin’s 2023 competition was that Evan cant run and you guys have been saying that Gavin made Kyle’s big year possible. So I threw out a name of a guy on the roster who could run. The point is that the data pretty much says we didn’t need a very good QB to get to 6 wins this year because thankfully we’ve improved enough in other areas to get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT