ADVERTISEMENT

Wierd that we're entrusting our future to a 1st time OL Coach

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Going into this hiring season, I felt that the most important hiring decision was the OL Coach, by far. Our OL play and development has been deplorable since the 2014 season, and this has largely contributed to an ineffective offense. There hasn't been enough talent and there hasn't been enough development. So the success of the OL Coach is going to be largely determined by his ability to teach the existing OL to become better players. That's why I expected a Bob Bostad, a Harry Hiestand, or someone similar to Kyle Flood, who had a ton of IAA experience. Instead, we have someone who has coached OL a few years at Princeton.

No doubt, his prior relationship with Schiano and Gleeson is 99% of the reason he was hired, and it's important for the OL Coach to be compatible with the OC. But the question must be raised whether he has the technical aptitude to take our kids to the next level, and help them realize their NFL aspirations. That's the natural question any prospective recruit is going to ask. I like the fact that he is a Princeton Grad, so you figure he is exceedingly bright, and should be able to learn quickly. His NFL experience has given him the foundation to know the caliber of lineman that's needed to succeed. But I see this hire as being very similar as the AJ Blazek hire, where it's high risk/high reward. At least AJ played in the Big Ten. Aurich will get this year to succeed. If enough progress isn't shown, they'll get someone more experienced, next year. But I'll be rooting for his success. All our hires thus far have been home runs. This is a wait and see.

Reactions: qban29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News