ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rutgers football reach 2nd straight bowl game in 2024?

Last year people were thrilled that we made a bowl game even after we had a 6-2 record then sh+t the bed after. Sadly those same people will celebrate 6-6 again.

Last year people were thrilled that we made a bowl game even after we had a 6-2 record then sh+t the bed after. Sadly those same people will celebrate 6-6 again.
After almost 10 years of no bowls and putrid results, our fanbase should have been elated to finally make it back to the post season. You failed to mention, RU DIDN'T sh*t the bed in The Pinstrip and beat the Canes. Guess what that led to? A winning record which we hadn't achieved in 8 years..not even close to it. If you think the same RU fans will "celebrate 6-6", I disagree and say you don't know Rutgers fans very well. Your glass is half empty.

After almost 10 years of no bowls and putrid results, our fanbase should have been elated to finally make it back to the post season. You failed to mention, RU DIDN'T sh*t the bed in The Pinstrip and beat the Canes. Guess what that led to? A winning record which we hadn't achieved in 8 years..not even close to it. If you think the same RU fans will "celebrate 6-6", I disagree and say you don't know Rutgers fans very well. Your glass is half empty.
Wow! Reading Comprehension issues!! Your brain is completely empty. Damn!

Too funny- most on here are going to call the season a failure with less than 8 wins…

If someone expects 8 wins and then we win 6, wouldn’t that make the season a failure compared to that expectation?

It’s similar to when people argue “losing 4 straight doesn’t matter. We went 6-6. Preseason expectations were for 3 or 4 wins. Season was a success.”

Can’t really have it both ways.

If someone expects 8 wins and then we win 6, wouldn’t that make the season a failure compared to that expectation?

It’s similar to when people argue “losing 4 straight doesn’t matter. We went 6-6. Preseason expectations were for 3 or 4 wins. Season was a success.”

Can’t really have it both ways.
Aren’t we saying the same thing?

Too funny- most on here are going to call the season a failure with less than 8 wins…
Which btw is idiotic! I’m not sure why people are making UCLA, USC and Wash as wins! All are tough games. Wash was in the finals!!! Yeah lost QB & WR but team was years ahead of us. USC as well.

Which btw is idiotic! I’m not sure why people are making UCLA, USC and Wash as wins! All are tough games. Wash was in the finals!!! Yeah lost QB & WR but team was years ahead of us. USC as well.
Nobody knows about Washington - new coach and they actually return 0 offensive starters . Regardless home night game - don’t care who it is , at this point I expect a win.

UCLA might be awful.

USC - we match up so well with their terrible defense and their lines on both sides , we could rush for hundreds if we come close to repeating last years performance but we are going to their place after like 6 straight , we might not have the juice there .

Still, 6 wins a disappointment is wild but this year can be much better if we stay healthy.

Reactions: Kbee3

As if playing UCLA USC and Wash makes our schedule that much easier.

It’s still a REALLY tough schedule.

8 wins is a great goal but having 8 wins as an expectation is just silly

We found 1 / rutgersal 😎

Also…depleted UW, UCLA and USC are SIGNIFICANTLY easier than Ohio State, National Champ Michigan, and State Penn whom we’ve beaten twice…ever and not since 1988

Ridiculous post. The OP can’t be serious.
The odds of us not getting to 6 wins is slim to none.
Improved Team on Offense and Defense… much easier schedule.

Reactions: letitrip2

Please.
If Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn St. all play those 3 teams they go 9-0 or at worst 8-1.
8 wins is the expectation… more if things go our way at Nebraska/ VT .

Ridiculous post. The OP can’t be serious.
The odds of us not getting to 6 wins is slim to none.
Improved Team on Offense and Defense… much easier schedule.
The schedule is deceiving. Yes, it is easier but by easier- it means we got rid of 3 teams that are 30+ point losses and replaced them with teams that may only be 10 point losses.
We do have a shot in every game but will be favored at the beginning of the year in only 4.

Please.
If Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn St. all play those 3 teams they go 9-0 or at worst 8-1.
8 wins is the expectation… more if things go our way at Nebraska/ VT .

pssst....we ain't Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn St.

I dont know what RU has accomplished where beating the likes of USC, UCLA or Washington should be expected.

I like the enthusiasm but I just dont understand what this level of expectation is based on.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Wow! Reading Comprehension issues!! Your brain is completely empty. Damn!
Please continue...I think you have expressive writing deficits or an inability to decifer what you actually typed. Either that or you hit the sauce a bit early.

Please continue...I think you have expressive writing deficits or an inability to decifer what you actually typed. Either that or you hit the sauce a bit early.
Did I ever bring up the bowl game?? No I didn't jackass. I was talking about a team that got to 6-2 and clinched a bowl bid but then shit the bed. These are facts which you ignore. After 6-2 don't you think there was an opportunity to play another quarterback?? No you rather see a QB who couldn't throw up! But a holes just loved him and now he's gone

Did I ever bring up the bowl game?? No I didn't jackass. I was talking about a team that got to 6-2 and clinched a bowl bid but then shit the bed. These are facts which you ignore. After 6-2 don't you think there was an opportunity to play another quarterback?? No you rather see a QB who couldn't throw up! But a holes just loved him and now he's gone
Jackass? Wow...great dialogue Bus. You have elevated your game with me. Let me summarize. My reading comprehension is perfectiy fine, thank you. You said, something along the lines that fans were elated at 6-6. And those same fans would again be elated if we finished 6-6. I disputed that fact and stated most fans would not be satisfied with 6-6 and that you failed to mention we reached a bowl game and actually won....kind of an important cherry on the top of last season. Anyway, how do I have a reading comprehension problem with that? And did you really expect RU to beat PSU, MU, and OSU during the last half of the season? Yes, RU shart the bed with Maryland in their annual give it to them matchup. You calling me a jackass helps solidify the fact you just can take an opposing point of view without retorting to insults. And you are pretty much a half glass empty person. I stand by that. If you can't see a potential light at the end of the tunnel and you want to bash fans for some enthusiasm, please feel free to do so but it is quite inane at this time I feel. I'm not sure why you have a stick up your *ss about my response, but I have wasted enough time on this. Have a great, night..and a great weekend. Go RU.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Jackass? Wow...great dialogue Bus. You have elevated your game with me. Let me summarize. My reading comprehension is perfectiy fine, thank you. You said, something along the lines that fans were elated at 6-6. And those same fans would again be elated if we finished 6-6. I disputed that fact and stated most fans would not be satisfied with 6-6 and that you failed to mention we reached a bowl game and actually won....kind of an important cherry on the top of last season. Anyway, how do I have a reading comprehension problem with that? And did you really expect RU to beat PSU, MU, and OSU during the last half of the season? Yes, RU shart the bed with Maryland in their annual give it to them matchup. You calling me a jackass helps solidify the fact you just can take an opposing point of view without retorting to insults. And you are pretty much a half glass empty person. I stand by that. If you can't see a potential light at the end of the tunnel and you want to bash fans for some enthusiasm, please feel free to do so but it is quite inane at this time I feel. I'm not sure why you have a stick up your *ss about my response, but I have wasted enough time on this. Have a great, night..and a great weekend. Go RU.
So you were happy ending at 6-6? Crazy that people don't want better when the opportunity is there. You can't admit that getting better or you except more is a good thing. You're a minimum success fan. And yes you're a jackass because you have zero reading comprehension. Jesus still do. You brought in the bowl game not me.
You started this crap not me!

Last edited:
As long term Rutgers football fans, we are broken in to expect disappointment. Our schedule only has two games that are guaranteed wins. After that we have to hope to win 4 more games. Any wins over 6 is fantastic.

Agree so many fans taking some of the teams for granted . They are worried about VT but not USC in Cali or some of the other games ?

With this much easier schedule, returning starters, top 20 D and no nuts, maize and cultists…not making it to a better than average bowl should be considered an Ash-like failure.

This is just silly. Expectations should be relative to what the actual strength of our opponents turns out to be. Which we don’t know yet - so how can you make this statement?

Suppose hypothetically, VTech, USC, Washington, Wisconsin and UCLA all live up to expectations and end the season as ranked teams. Suppose at the same time, Maryland and Nebraska turn the corner and have great season too - also ranked or top 30 level.

Now - pencil in Illinois, Minny, Michigan State, Akron and Howard as wins. That’s 5. In the scenerio above, you think not going at least 3-5 against a collection of all ranked / teams receiving votes is comparable to routine blow out losses to Buffalo types. Wow.

This is my feel on the season...
I will feel it is a failure if we do not get to a bowl game
I will actually be "ok" but not happy if we win only 6 but have only one 3 score loss
If our 6 wins come but we have mult 3 score losses- it would be a failure
If we win 7+ regular season games- very happy
We win 8+ games- GS should get serious consideration for COY...

This is just silly. Expectations should be relative to what the actual strength of our opponents turns out to be. Which we don’t know yet - so how can you make this statement?

Suppose hypothetically, VTech, USC, Washington, Wisconsin and UCLA all live up to expectations and end the season as ranked teams. Suppose at the same time, Maryland and Nebraska turn the corner and have great season too - also ranked or top 30 level.

Now - pencil in Illinois, Minny, Michigan State, Akron and Howard as wins. That’s 5. In the scenerio above, you think not going at least 3-5 against a collection of all ranked / teams receiving votes is comparable to routine blow out losses to Buffalo types. Wow.
Wow. Everything goes great for everyone but us in this view.
How about an assumption that Rutgers has a breakthrough this year? No guarantees but things look positive for that.
Yes our big unknown is the new QB and receivers. And always the Oline.
If we can improve the passing game enough to offset the loss in Wimsatts running, then we go bowling again. If we can improve just a bit more than that it could be a very special season.
The defense will keep us in every game. Just need to take advantage of that.

Wow. Everything goes great for everyone but us in this view.
How about an assumption that Rutgers has a breakthrough this year? No guarantees but things look positive for that.
Yes our big unknown is the new QB and receivers. And always the Oline.
If we can improve the passing game enough to offset the loss in Wimsatts running, then we go bowling again. If we can improve just a bit more than that it could be a very special season.
The defense will keep us in every game. Just need to take advantage of that.

It’s not meant as an assumption on anything. The point is, if it turns out that 7-8 of the teams were playing are fringe top 25 teams or better, saying it’s an Ash like year if we don’t beat more than 2 of them would be ridiculous.

The reverse is also true. If teams like UCLA and USC take early losses to mid-majors the bar goes up for our expected win count because it turns out the teams were playing are weaker than projected.

The point is - it’s impossible to say how successful a 6-6 season would be without knowing how good our opponents turn out to be. Let alone to declare the season an epic Ash like failure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT