ADVERTISEMENT

Will we get rolled ? (Nebraska week)

No!
weed roll joint GIF by Wikileaf.com

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
I would've said no before last week. I'm hesitant to make a projection at this point due to the injuries GS mentioned in the post-game press conference. We seem pretty banged up in several position groups and we lack quality depth.

So... I'll say I don't think so, but it will depend on who is available to play on both O and D.

Reactions: DirtyRU
I would've said no before last week. I'm hesitant to make a projection at this point due to the injuries GS mentioned in the post-game press conference. We seem pretty banged up in several position groups and we lack quality depth.

So... I'll say I don't think so, but it will depend on who is available to play on both O and D.
It seems that some of the injuries may have been held out Sat, or not brought back into the game, purposely by Schiano. We all know how he works by now.

It seems that some of the injuries may have been held out Sat, or not brought back into the game, purposely by Schiano. We all know how he works by now.
I didn't think about that. That would be good, so let's hope.

We had almost no chance to win that game so if he held out even slightly injured players so they'll be better healed and rested by next week, I'd be totally good with that thinking.

To maintain some long-term momentum towards becoming more and more competitive, maximizing wins and decent performances is critical right now. Recruiting is always easier when there are wins and good game a coaching staff can point out as progress. Even a bad loss to tOSU isn't going to look all that bad to most of the kids we'd be recruiting for 2023, 2024.

With that in mind, holding out kids who are borderline to ensure they're available/better for more winnable games makes perfect sense to me. It also helps get some players some extra playing time, which they might not have gotten otherwise. And that can only speed up their development for the future.

Rutgers can't move the ball no matter who the opponent is. But they can move the ball.
This one is not going to be close.

Rutgers can't move the ball no matter who the opponent is. But they can move the ball.
This one is not going to be close.
RU moved the ball against Iowa, whose defense is pretty good. So I think RU can and will move the ball unless something about Nebraska's D is just a bad fit for our O, which can happen sometimes.

Might not be pretty and might not be real consistent. But I'd be surprised if we don't score at least a couple TDs.

I think the game will be close as long as our D can field our better players. Just not sure about where we stand injury-wise.

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Nebraska has talent. They just had terrrible coaching.

they’ll be tough to beat

I won't be surprised if we are rolled. If not for the lucky turnover in the last game, we only scored 3 points and we only scored 16 vs Temple. Nebraska always has good players, each player eats an entire deer for a snack.

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU

Been wondering about the injuries also. I know we rarely get much info from the bunker, but have any useful updates on injury status come out since then?

I won't be surprised if we are rolled. If not for the lucky turnover in the last game, we only scored 3 points and we only scored 16 vs Temple. Nebraska always has good players, each player eats an entire deer for a snack.
That goes both ways - if not for the TOs against Iowa that game goes down to the wire.

Reactions: RUfromNJ
OSU doesn’t matter. In the end, neither does Temple. They are bad because of their offense. Their defense is pretty good. It all comes down to how our OL performs against their DLs against the run. Same for every remaining game on the schedule. If we can dominate the trenches (consistent 3-5 yard runs), we’ll have a chance in every game except maybe Michigan. We don’t need to throw for 300 yards - we need to move the chains and start getting into the end zone when we get close.

Teams that can hold us to mostly 2 or less yard runs are likely to end up rolling us. It’s really that simple. Eventually our defense wears down if we go 3 and out over and over. It’s all about the run game.

Reactions: Knightmoves
OSU doesn’t matter. In the end, neither does Temple. They are bad because of their offense. Their defense is pretty good. It all comes down to how our OL performs against their DLs against the run. Same for every remaining game on the schedule. If we can dominate the trenches (consistent 3-5 yard runs), we’ll have a chance in every game except maybe Michigan. We don’t need to throw for 300 yards - we need to move the chains and start getting into the end zone when we get close.

Teams that can hold us to mostly 2 or less yard runs are likely to end up rolling us. It’s really that simple. Eventually our defense wears down if we go 3 and out over and over. It’s all about the run game.

I would argue beating Nebraska is more about pressuring their QB and stopping the Husker run game. Do that, and Rutgers has a great shot.

Huskers have a couple future NFL receivers, NFL tight end, and NFL running back. But their offensive line is trash. QB Casey Thompson is pretty damn good when he's not under duress. Unfortunately, he's under duress a lot.

The RU offense vs. the Nebraska defense is kind of a wash... Neither unit is very good.

Nebraska fired their DC two weeks ago, had a bye week and changed defenses before the Indiana game. They suddenly looked competent. However, Indiana's QB was terrible in that game. Not sure Nebraska's defense deserves that much credit.

BTW, former Rutgers TE Travis Vokolek has grown into a stud. He will be playing on Sundays next year.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Cornicator, you make Nebraska sound like BC who have one great WR, a good TE, QB, and RB, but a bad OL. Their D has probably outplayed the Nebraska D (70th in yards allowed per game). Friday could come down to turnovers and key penalties.

Been wondering about the injuries also. I know we rarely get much info from the bunker, but have any useful updates on injury status come out since then?
Nope, no new updates (that I'm aware of anyway). We just know who was out the last game. When asked about everybody's status, GS just said the usual line about they're progressing and we'll just have to wait and see how they do throughout the week.

I'm guessing we'll find out when the game starts, or thereabouts.

OSU doesn’t matter. In the end, neither does Temple. They are bad because of their offense. Their defense is pretty good.
Their offense is averaging 31.5 pts. a game. Their defense is ranked 121st giving up 32.5 pts. a game. It's a game where offense wins it. That is if we had an offense. Teams that can score we can't win. Our offensive players and coaches need to start taking some pride in themselves instead of being the weekly punch line.

Their offense is averaging 31.5 pts. a game. Their defense is ranked 121st giving up 32.5 pts. a game. It's a game where offense wins it. That is if we had an offense. Teams that can score we can't win. Our offensive players and coaches need to start taking some pride in themselves instead of being the weekly punch line.
That's pretty harsh towards our O players and coaches. It assumes they aren't working extremely hard, possibly even harder than players on other teams.

I suspect that they are all working extremely hard, but that other teams are also working extremely hard. And ultimately, experience or talent is the differentiator.

Our OL are new to each other this season, and from everything I've ever heard about it, game time experience is a significant factor in an OL reaching it's maximum potential.

Other than Sean Ryan, our WRs seem to struggle to create separation. Maybe that's talent, or coaching or some combination of the two. But I doubt it's a lack of pride or lack of effort.

I would argue beating Nebraska is more about pressuring their QB and stopping the Husker run game. Do that, and Rutgers has a great shot.

Huskers have a couple future NFL receivers, NFL tight end, and NFL running back. But their offensive line is trash. QB Casey Thompson is pretty damn good when he's not under duress. Unfortunately, he's under duress a lot.

The RU offense vs. the Nebraska defense is kind of a wash... Neither unit is very good.

Nebraska fired their DC two weeks ago, had a bye week and changed defenses before the Indiana game. They suddenly looked competent. However, Indiana's QB was terrible in that game. Not sure Nebraska's defense deserves that much credit.

BTW, former Rutgers TE Travis Vokolek has grown into a stud. He will be playing on Sundays next year.

I hear what your saying, but for our team, everything starts and ends with being able to run the football in order to get enough first downs to keep our defense fresh whether or not we put the ball in the end zone. That’s how it is no matter who we play.

Asked after Iowa game if Gleeson can scheme for a more dominant run attack and mods all said no. If that is the case I don't feel good about Friday night. Gleeson needs to adapt to more misdirection run attack with play action passing. Really have no idea what we practice all week because on game day very little scoring happens.

Love your screen name by the way. Made me laugh.

Cornicator, you make Nebraska sound like BC who have one great WR, a good TE, QB, and RB, but a bad OL. Their D has probably outplayed the Nebraska D (70th in yards allowed per game). Friday could come down to turnovers and key penalties.

Its a tougher offense to defend than BC because they have pretty dynamic receivers all over the field. BC really just targets their dynamic receiver and a Tight End. Nebraska does a better job of spreading the ball out to multiple targets. And RB Anthony Grant is really, really good.

Pass pro is not good though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT