ADVERTISEMENT

Football Willie Tyler in the portal

So, who are the candidates for the left tackle position ?

So, who are the candidates for the left tackle position ?
Always need to fact check with portal, but I recall Hansen, Needham, DeCroce, Allen, Missouri, Monegro being tackles in the program

Only a redshirt Freshman, but itd be great to see Allen take a leap and grab the spot

Reactions: czxqa
They drove off Raiqwon O’Neal for this guy.
yBXJk8S.gif

I don't know what caused Tyler to enter the transfer portal, but I have an idea. Coach Flaherty is an upfront guy, which may not sit well with Tyler, who might believe he was the best option available, considering the play of the OL the last few years. Coach Flaherty is an upfront guy who'll call himself out when holding everyone accountable.

The OL will work harder than ever but smarter.

Yes. If they hadn't brought in transfers with the intent to make our line "bigger", he never would have transferred.
I’m sure he had competition in LA. He could have stayed and started and played a lot here. Probably wanted him to move to Guard but if he worked hard and wasn’t a negative influence then there is no reaso. He wouldn’t have been a mainstay on the OL and probably one of our better OL.

Other Ash guys stayed and excelled. Hello IP Super Bowl Champ. He didn’t leave when we recruited other RB’s.

Yes. If they hadn't brought in transfers with the intent to make our line "bigger", he never would have transferred.
So you were happy with Rutger’s Oline play ? A O line which could not run block or defend the QB. Dumb post for a “ moderator” . Wasn’t O Neal coming off an injury? The guy was here for 4-5 years and yes his going to UCLA was more than Schiano and Rutgers running him off.Happy he did well at UCLA but it was more about him wanting a change.

Anticipate some major o line changes by this August camp positional wide and technique / blocking will improve . Flaherty is an excellent guy to make us better up front. Our staff is much improved and with a good mix of older and younger coaches.

Lodi g our best OL
That is bad….real bad.
Who is Lodi? O’Neal needed and wanted the change. I understand he was friends with Myles Johnson who was playing MBB . Besides… if you have ever been to UCLA and it’s Brentwood /Beverly Hills / Belair neighborhoods you understand. If women are your interest there is no place better than that School. Education is top notch and O’Neal could have done much worse. As of the end of this past season we had 26 -27 o line candidates.The transfer of O’Neal was not the reason for our mediocre season.

Who is Lodi? O’Neal needed and wanted the change. I understand he was friends with Myles Johnson who was playing MBB . Besides… if you have ever been to UCLA and it’s Brentwood /Beverly Hills / Belair neighborhoods you understand. If women are your interest there is no place better than that School. Education is top notch and O’Neal could have done much worse. As of the end of this past season we had 26 -27 o line candidates.The transfer of O’Neal was not the reason for our mediocre season.
Are you saying “ Lordi”? Lose the southern .drawl

Willie probably seen the writing on wall after losing his starting roll at the end of the 2022 season..
His next program will be his fifth, and before lamanting his leaving makes for a lack of depth, will see where he goes and judge how bad RU is losing depth at the OL spot by the program Tyler lands at . .

Can't blame O'Neal. Change of scenery was good for him as he did well at UCLA this season for a team that was decent. Has a good shot at the league. He gave it his all at Rutgers.

That is spot on . O’Neal made a good choice. Tyler is making a good choice as depth and size will not be an issue for Rutgers . Experience is the question at several spots but we do have 8-9 who got some valuable reps. Like other B1G programs who plug and play guys year to year Flaherty and Vallone must do the same. Curious to see some of our 2021- 2022 o line recruits who have spent time with our strength and conditioning staff.

Never great to lose a potential starter, but I have total faith in Kirk C, Brock, and Flaherty. They each have a long history of building good lines and I trust their talent evaluations & development.

If Willie left on his own accord, seeking greener pastures at a now 5th program, then he’s missing out on coaches that could develop him.

They did not push away O'Neal. He took NLI money to go to UCLA. O'Neal was a much better player, but struggled with health in 2021.

I don't know what caused Tyler to enter the transfer portal, but I have an idea. Coach Flaherty is an upfront guy, which may not sit well with Tyler, who might believe he was the best option available, considering the play of the OL the last few years. Coach Flaherty is an upfront guy who'll call himself out when holding everyone accountable.

The OL will work harder than ever but smarter.
Do you honestly think a coach is running guys off before a single practice? Especially a guy who started 9 games. A good coach knows they need depth. You don’t build depth by running off second team guys who are a play away from starting. What the point right now? It not like you are going to bring someone in mid semester. You need bodies and competition. I might have bought that if it happened after spring practice.

Last edited:
Do you honestly think a coach is running guys off before a single practice? Especially a guy who started 9 games. A good coach knows they need depth. You don’t build depth by running off second team guys who are a play away from starting. What the point right now? It not like you are going to bring someone in mid semester. You need bodies and competition. I might have bought that if it happened after spring practice.
No body may be running anyone off. But you can be told - "Clean slate. No one penciled in as starter. You have to earn your spot." Some folks like to be given their spot upfront and have it to lose rather than earn it.

I don't think anyone is running a player off the team, but having played for Coach Flats, he tells it like it is. Sometimes it's a bitter pill to swallow. For all we know, not starting might not sit well with him.

FYI: forget about spring practice. Tyler may not have seen eye to eye with Coach Flats and his style. Opinions are formed based on workouts under the S&C coach and personal meetings with your position coach.

I don't think anyone is running a player off the team, but having played for Coach Flats, he tells it like it is. Sometimes it's a bitter pill to swallow. For all we know, not starting might not sit well with him.

FYI: forget about spring practice. Tyler may not have seen eye to eye with Coach Flats and his style. Opinions are formed based on workouts under the S&C coach and personal meetings with your position coach.
You’re original message made it sounds like coach told him he wouldn’t be playing already. I agree it could very well could be personality conflict. I think that a huge concern considering his last job he was fired before the season started because he failed to connect with the players. It a bad sign that a guy with starting experience is transferring. Will be interesting to see if more follow him later on.

You’re original message made it sounds like coach told him he wouldn’t be playing already. I agree it could very well could be personality conflict. I think that a huge concern considering his last job he was fired before the season started because he failed to connect with the players. It a bad sign that a guy with starting experience is transferring. Will be interesting to see if more follow him later on.
Re-read the post. I said I had an idea of what might have gone down.

In today’s college sports world when you hear , the players and coach are not connecting simple translation for this is they told Willie Tyler A) he was not going to start B) needed to lose some bad weight and guess what ? C) There is a new sheriff in town so pick it up. Now it may not be exactly the thing we fans want to see but something gave Tyler the push. In the scheme of things we need to get a whole lot better upfront this season not next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT