ADVERTISEMENT

Football Willie Tyler in the portal

Epic mistake losing O
They drove off Raiqwon O’Neal for this guy.
yBXJk8S.gif

he was our best? what games did you see. He was beaten constantly off the edge.
What were you watching?
Our best OL was DiRenzo. He is gone. Our best returning OL was to be either Tyler or Hollin Pierce . Ok maybe Pierce is better.
FWIW …If Sutton returns from a year off from Surgery to his former self he would be our best OL. Without question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Always need to fact check with portal, but I recall Hansen, Needham, DeCroce, Allen, Missouri, Monegro being tackles in the program

Only a redshirt Freshman, but itd be great to see Allen take a leap and grab the spot
Don’t expect to see Allen next season, he’s been dealing with injuries since his senior season of high school. So he’s a bit behind as a result.

Epic mistake losing O

What were you watching?
Our best OL was DiRenzo. He is gone. Our best returning OL was to be either Tyler or Hollin Pierce . Ok maybe Pierce is better.
FWIW …If Sutton returns from a year off from Surgery to his former self he would be our best OL. Without question.
Sutton’s injury was pretty severe when it occurred. There are no guarantees that he’s able to play anymore. And that would be very unfortunate.

Re-read the post. I said I had an idea of what might have gone down.

One way or another, the kid saw the writing on the wall, and is seeking better pastures for himself. He should transfer down a level and play right away.

He lost his starting job. He was a solid run blocker but his foot speed struggled and he was decimated off the edge multiple times.
Quite a few OL should have lost their jobs as well. We did not have B1G OL level players by a long shot. #53 was like a turnstile on the field. Letting every opposing D line player right into the backfield. #51 was not much better. Major overhaul is needed now.

Yes. If they hadn't brought in transfers with the intent to make our line "bigger", he never would have transferred.

I’m sure he had competition in LA. He could have stayed and started and played a lot here. Probably wanted him to move to Guard but if he worked hard and wasn’t a negative influence then there is no reaso. He wouldn’t have been a mainstay on the OL and probably one of our better OL.

Other Ash guys stayed and excelled. Hello IP Super Bowl Champ. He didn’t leave when we recruited other RB’s.
There are times you are put into a position you cannot win or compete. If O'Neil was told that we were going with bigger OT and that his only chance at playing time would be at OG- then he is not in position to win the spot at OT.
Back when our son was with the Chargers and started most the 2nd half of the season at LT for them. N Turner had a lot of good to say about him and he even got the offensive MVP in his first start against the Steelers.
They got rid of Turner and brought in their new coach- during camp, he told Kevin that he will only be playing OL that are over 325lbs. Told him he is an NFL OL and would do him a favor by releasing him early so he could have a chance in a different system.
He was not going to be allowed to even compete for starting time at SD...

I don't think anyone is running a player off the team, but having played for Coach Flats, he tells it like it is. Sometimes it's a bitter pill to swallow. For all we know, not starting might not sit well with him.

FYI: forget about spring practice. Tyler may not have seen eye to eye with Coach Flats and his style. Opinions are formed based on workouts under the S&C coach and personal meetings with your position coach.
Good Stuff,Doug,

Reactions: Knight Shift
There are times you are put into a position you cannot win or compete. If O'Neil was told that we were going with bigger OT and that his only chance at playing time would be at OG- then he is not in position to win the spot at OT.
Back when our son was with the Chargers and started most the 2nd half of the season at LT for them. N Turner had a lot of good to say about him and he even got the offensive MVP in his first start against the Steelers.
They got rid of Turner and brought in their new coach- during camp, he told Kevin that he will only be playing OL that are over 325lbs. Told him he is an NFL OL and would do him a favor by releasing him early so he could have a chance in a different system.
He was not going to be allowed to even compete for starting time at SD...
Behind the scenes stuff. Who was the OL coach?

You’re original message made it sounds like coach told him he wouldn’t be playing already. I agree it could very well could be personality conflict. I think that a huge concern considering his last job he was fired before the season started because he failed to connect with the players. It a bad sign that a guy with starting experience is transferring. Will be interesting to see if more follow him later on.
Flaherty's personality conflict was with Miami's head coach at the time. Flores went through a few coaches in his short time there.

Multiple, multiple times.
As per the quote you quoted- he was a good run blocker but got beat off the edge in pass blocking a lot...maybe, JUST maybe, he would have been better suited as a RT. That is a coaching issue.

In today’s college sports world when you hear , the players and coach are not connecting simple translation for this is they told Willie Tyler A) he was not going to start B) needed to lose some bad weight and guess what ? C) There is a new sheriff in town so pick it up. Now it may not be exactly the thing we fans want to see but something gave Tyler the push. In the scheme of things we need to get a whole lot better upfront this season not next year.
No those are three reasons fans come up with to make themselves feel better about losing a player. Just like any coach they all have different styles and personality. We have all had that coach or teacher we couldn’t stand.

Asamoah at left guard.
While I love the guy, he got pushed around easily. He needs to make major strides with S&C this offseason so he can be effective. Also, don't sleep on him possibly being at center.

As per the quote you quoted- he was a good run blocker but got beat off the edge in pass blocking a lot...maybe, JUST maybe, he would have been better suited as a RT. That is a coaching issue.
Or maybe in the interior. I don’t see how a guys can make 9 starts can’t contribute somewhere on the offensive line. It not like Rutgers on lines is loaded with 5 star all Americans ready to fill in. I know I would sleep better as a coach knowing that I have a guy with 20plus starts in college on the bench. I can’t see how anyone would think coaches would try to push him out or think this is a good thing for the oline.

No those are three reasons fans come up with to make themselves feel better about losing a player. Just like any coach they all have different styles and personality. We have all had that coach or teacher we couldn’t stand.
Since I have no skin in this game my list is pretty much what several others on here have stated as well. Cubuffsdoug a former RU player knows Flaherty . Tyler left because he saw the position was not his unless he deserved it through his performance. Di Renzo took his spot as did Needham towards last season‘s end..

Don’t expect to see Allen next season, he’s been dealing with injuries since his senior season of high school. So he’s a bit behind as a result.
That is really unfortunate if it continues that way.
Injuries have impacted 2 of our probably most talented OL into this season : Allen and Sutton

Always need to fact check with portal, but I recall Hansen, Needham, DeCroce, Allen, Missouri, Monegro being tackles in the program

Only a redshirt Freshman, but itd be great to see Allen take a leap and grab the spot
He’s really almost like a true freshman since he’s been so hurt. Like he lived in a boot forever. Never had extra weight on him either. Hope he pops this year but may need to give him some time. Hope I’m wrong!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT