ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin blows out Marquette

Phil, hopefully when we play Pitt, we have a Niagara game and Pittsburgh has their Nicholls game. Really need this one.

Yup. And more proof that the Big East is a shadow of its former self. Even in a supposed “down year,” the Big 10 is considerably stronger.
The Big East has been Villanova and the 9 Dwarfs since the exodus. I think the only other squad to make noise was Xavier one year who made it to the Elite 8. Besides that, has any other Big East squad made any noise in the dance?

The Big East has been Villanova and the 9 Dwarfs since the exodus. I think the only other squad to make noise was Xavier one year who made it to the Elite 8. Besides that, has any other Big East squad made any noise in the dance?
I would take Seton Hall's consistency in getting a NCAA bid as a positive ,

Reactions: batts and Vegas pj
Not the same team after the Hausers transferred. you can't blame them for leaving because their Coach (Wojo) is an absolute jerk.

Reactions: MV9000

True. A good friend of mine is a Georgetown alumnus who graduated during the Hoyas hey day in the 1980's in the then powerhouse Big East. He recently confessed to me that with the loss of major players like Cuse, UConn, Pitt, Louisville, etc. the Big East will never be a top-ranked conference again. I think he's right. Too many small Catholic schools with relatively small followings compared to the big State U's in conferences like the Big 10.

True. A good friend of mine is a Georgetown alumnus who graduated during the Hoyas hey day in the 1980's in the then powerhouse Big East. He recently confessed to me that with the loss of major players like Cuse, UConn, Pitt, Louisville, etc. the Big East will never be a top-ranked conference again. I think he's right. Too many small Catholic schools with relatively small followings compared to the big State U's in conferences like the Big 10.

How do the attendance numbers compare BE vs B1G?

its an overrated conference ranking wise....the decline is happening albeit slowly, it is happening, the depth aint there anymore

its an overrated conference ranking wise....the decline is happening albeit slowly, it is happening, the depth aint there anymore
That's why Big East admitted UConn. Its slow demise was happening and UConn may bring it back back to relevance as UConn BB was also dying.

I don't think the BE is sagging

Usual bottom feeder, DePaul, is making big strides.

Optimism is high everywhere else.

Let's see if SHU or Xavier can uncrown Nova for regular season first place this season.

What about the football schools that left ? I don't think anyone can make the argument that their programs have had any where near the success they had in the old Big East. With the exception if Louisville who I don't even consider a true former Big East team . Pittsburgh is a shell of what it once was. Syracuse is nothing like they used to be. BC has been a joke for years. Rutgers has never really had any success before or after. Notre Dame has taken a hit. Uconn definitely not the same.

Last edited:
At least every team in their conference has made the tournament in the last twenty five years .

you might be the first person to ever mention that stat in the decades I have been watching college basketball. Literally nobody cares about how often the worst teams in a conference make the tourney as a judge of that conference's strength.

Big East also had 2 National Championships in the last 5 years. Not so with the Big.

Big East also had 2 National Championships in the last 5 years. Not so with the Big.

conferences don't win national titles.

Big East did finish #1 in KenPom back in 2006, though, so congrats to them for that!

The Big East has a bunch of small schools with great fan support.
Their budgets and enrollments are minuscule compared to BIg 10 schools. It is a miracle that they keep up-but they find a way to compete and make their alumni proud.
Nothing better than the BET in NYC every March.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
A Big East School (not named 'Nova) riding Villanova's success is as lame as Rutgers football, as pitiful as we are right now, trying to associate with Ohio State's recent success winning the College football national championship.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT