ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Soccer:Tonight’s Game/State of the Program

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
First Tonight’s game which had the same old Coach O’Neill stamp on it the whole way. I said to my daughter 20 minutes in we are playing the same way we play backwards too much we weren’t going for balls as hard as CCSU and that’s a continuation of the Michigan game where we were beaten to almost every 50/50 ball. This team is trained to play not to lose and when you play that way it only takes one good shot to beat you and that is what happened tonight. As an aside Meagan got beaten badly again tonight on the same exact shot to lose the game as she did in the Michigan game and you can’t use the same excuse that people used about the Michigan goal that the sun was in her eyes both times she was off her line and got beaten.
Don’t be fooled by the shot totals while I believe we had 18 to CCSU 7 shots we had only 2 serious scoring opportunities the header in which the goalie made a nice save and Amirah sot off the post although if it was on net the goalie was there.
I am not sure how are girls are trained but there are division 1 girls playing soccer and they seem to not even be able to do the basic soccer 101 things.
Our passing god awful as we are unable to make any connections the girls continually hold onto to the ball too long and miss girls making open runs. As an example tonight Amirah was open in space at least 3 times and not once did we see her and feed her the ball. Brittany was guilty of holding the ball too much tonight.
Shooting our girls never take shots where there momentum is going forward to the goal and they get no power on the shots which happened numerous times tonight and most of the saves tonight were easy saves. They also constantly pass up open shots and insist on dribbling into the middle into traffic most of the time resulting in not even being able to get off their shots.
CORNER KICKS OMG WTF what in gods name were we doing we must have played 5 corner kicks short tonight which resulted in nothing as we didn’t even get the ball in to the box a few times and that’s squarely on the coaches.
Another thing I have discussed ad nauseum is we can’t expect to generate consistent offense if our wings are asked to come back to the 18 and then expect tthembto make 70 yard runs which is impossible and secondly just flat out is exhausting.
So I am sure I am forgetting a few things but this brings us to the state of the program and what are the answers?
Is this all on O’Neill maybe not but since he is the head coach it all falls on him. He may have loyalty to his staff but if they are going to get over the hump than changes need to be made to his staff and like football we need a so called good offensive coordinator!!! He has to change his style as I said above. I am sure there are other things people can add to this discussion but that’s it for tonight

I think it is on O'Neill, because he IMO plays not to lose. We don't score, because he doesn't seem to teach a style of aggressive offensive play. Again. there is NO EXCUSE to lose to a team like CCSU. None. Either O'Neill changes up his ways, or Hobbs needs to think about replacing him. What's the point of going 15-3-2 and then lose (15-4-2) at home no less to a team ranked 133 in the NCAA's in the first round?

We have the players who can score, but it seems that O'Neill's offense is not designed to be aggressive or set up certain players to excel. I find they play back too much and pass up good scoring opportunities in fear of not getting back on defense.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Anyone see parallels between O"Neill and Stringer? Both successful coaches (CVS more so) and strong recruiters who seem to emphasize defense at the expense of offense. Do well enough in the regular season to make the post season but are usually done in earlier than expected by offensive shortcomings that are most readily apparent against better competition.

While I don't follow WBB as closely as I used to, I think CVS has recently tried to make some adjustments but is not having the same level of success that she did in her heyday.

Hopefully O'Neill self reflects and figures out something needs to change because sooner rather than later other top notch programs are going to be successful using his post season shortcomings against him when recruiting.

reminds me of the devils TRAP........it's the you score 1,or 2 goals, and we score none....but, the game was close...............ru has and all big ten, and future Olympian......feed her the dam ball.
frustrating to say the least,,,,,this was the year
hfa in the big ten....1st rd ncca match....and what does ru do......not score a figgin goal........Lombardi quote coming " success breeds success".

reminds me of the devils TRAP........it's the you score 1,or 2 goals, and we score none....but, the game was close...............ru has and all big ten, and future Olympian......feed her the dam ball.
frustrating to say the least,,,,,this was the year
hfa in the big ten....1st rd ncca match....and what does ru do......not score a figgin goal........Lombardi quote coming " success breeds success".
As a quick not Stanford won 15-0!!

Not a soccer person, but any of you know if we are looking at Katie Schiano ?

No mention of the missed pk, Rutgers had a chance to win the game. LaPlant, with very good soccer sense, attacked and intentionally worked to draw the pk, Rutgers had 5 pk's this year, she had drawn 4 of them!!! Cannot miss the pk, the keeper actually guessed the wrong way, all you have to do is place the shot on frame. With a 1-0 lead, you are not pressing late in the game and have numbers back to prevent that game winning shot.

No mention of the missed pk, Rutgers had a chance to win the game. LaPlant, with very good soccer sense, attacked and intentionally worked to draw the pk, Rutgers had 5 pk's this year, she had drawn 4 of them!!! Cannot miss the pk, the keeper actually guessed the wrong way, all you have to do is place the shot on frame. With a 1-0 lead, you are not pressing late in the game and have numbers back to prevent that game winning shot.
Absolutely. Commented on this in another thread to dentist that I can't seem to post. More on this later Killerbees3. The thread to dentist is up now. Would be interested in your thoughts. And yes if we had converted we would have had to press & they would never had scored. It was the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT