ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer RU vs Temple-- Few thoughts & observations

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
The ladies played very, very well--all of them. Girls came in off the bench early & played a lot.
The team moved the ball really well, lots of sharp one touch passing. Great chemistry on this team with very unselfish play.
Corner Kicks--this should make the dentist happy. We scored 3 Goals off corner kicks. No exaggeration, I don't think that we've scored 3 goals off corners in the last 3 years. It has been a real weakness to which the dentist & I have often pointed. And we have scored 5 Goals off corners in our first 5 games--unbelievable, & hopefully a harbinger of things to come. The serves have been better & the girls have been very quick, strong & aggressive in the box & around the Goal.

As mentioned, I thought that all the girls played very well. To mention a few: Thought Kassidy Banks had a very solid game--though she didn't have to defend against a strong attack too often she made good decisions with the ball & moved it very well. Seemed more sure of herself.
Arianna Kuryla started at OB & played very well. Excellent decisions & moved the ball very well.
Kaylie Daigle played very well. Last year her 1st move with the ball was to look to dribble, often loosing it. This year she is moving it quickly with excellent one touch passes. She is playing with confidence & it shows. I can see why ho26rus told me last year that she was a good one. Her goal off her corner kick was terrific, curled it right into the top far corner. If Kaylie starts to find the back of the net it will make our O that much more dangerous & more difficult to contain.
Temple transfer Haley Gutkowski off the bench looks like a player, & a scorer. If she is, that makes us even more potent & dangerous.
Cant speak to the play of each & every girl though each deserves recognition it in their own right. Can say that only one starting field player is a senior--Allie Lynch & she has a graduate year if she wants it. All the other girls are juniors & sophomores, including Emma Misal here, who by the way expects to be back soon, & all have an extra covid year of eligibility. So this team will stay together & be around a while.
Seven different girls scored the seven goals, that's without either Allie Lowrey, Riley Tiernan, or Sarah Brocius getting any. This team is scoring by committee with several girls being able to find the back of the net.
Couldn't resist one last thought-- Sam Kroeger came flying in like a bullet on our first corner & headed it in. And her play all over the pitch is really something to watch. Sam is something else, what else can you say.
GO RU!!! Beat Princeton!!!

Last edited:
The ladies played very, very well--all of them. Girls came in off the bench early & played a lot.
The team moved the ball really well, lots of sharp one touch passing. Great chemistry on this team with very unselfish play.
Corner Kicks--this should make the dentist happy. We scored 3 Goals off corner kicks. No exaggeration, I don't think that we've scored 3 goals off corners in the last 3 years. It has been a real weakness to which the dentist & I have often pointed. And we have scored 5 Goals off corners in our first 5 games--unbelievable, & hopefully a portent of things to come. The serves have been better & the girls have been very quick, strong & aggressive in the box & around the Goal.

As mentioned, I thought that all the girls played very well. To mention a few: Thought Kassidy Banks had a very solid game--though she didn't have to defend against a strong attack too often she made good decisions with the ball & moved it very well. Seemed more sure of herself.
Arianna Kuryla started at OB & played very well. Excellent decisions & moved the ball very well.
Kaylie Daigle played very well. Last year her 1st move with the ball was to look to dribble, often loosing it. This year she is moving it quickly with excellent one touch passes. She is playing with confidence & it shows. I can see why ho26rus told me last year that she was a good one. Her goal off her corner kick was terrific, curled it right into the top far corner. If Kaylie starts to find the back of the net it will make our O that much more dangerous & more difficult to contain.
Temple transfer Haley Gutkowski off the bench looks like a player, & a scorer. If she is that makes us even more potent & dangerous.
Cant speak to the play of each & every girl though each deserves it in their own right. Can say that only one starting field player is a senior--Allie Lynch & she has a graduate year if she wants it. All the other girls are juniors & sophomores, including Emma Misal here, who by the way expects to be back soon, & all have an extra covid year of eligibility. So this team will stay together & be around a while.
Seven different girls scored the seven goals, that's without either Allie Lowrey, Riley Tiernan, or Sarah Brocius getting any. This team is scoring by committee with several girls being able to find the back of the net.
Couldn't resist one last thought-- Sam Kroeger came flying in like a bullet on our first corner & headed it in. And her play all over the pitch is really something to watch. Sam is something else, what else can you say.
The thing about wanting to come here for young players is really like a double edge sword.
It is a more favorable situation for talented grad transfers who want one more shot at the golden ring.
See I think 27 rostered players
5 grad transfers , Kurdyla, Walter and McClelland go and Lynch stays.
We have 7 commits for 2023 and 3 are strikers , one a center mid and only one defender
So enterring 2024 recruiting cycle we have 26 places spoken for and only 4 openings.
17 girls from 2000 And 2021 classes have at least two years left to play . Thereby giving very little hope of a new commit to see the field for a good part of the future.
So we’re it my kid I would not be looking to come here for that reason alone.
We will again add a few grad transfer defenders and will continue supplementing former PDA players graduating elsewhere

goalie is well set but the goalie on the nwtu 15 was a pda player so you may need to make room.
Regardless we are very well set for the next two years but looking at a small class in 2024

I have seen the U16 pda blue team a few times( Madison Tiernan is the coach) my opinion if we can add Addison Halpearn ( center mid) Sophia Bradley ( striker) and a holding mid I will get wrongRadkowski??
I would be happy and can elongate our period of visible sustained sUccess out another one or two years

again big assumption is everyone stays. Girls are somewhat readable they don’t play they don’t stay. Example Emily Sapienza ( 3 goals in four games)

anyway sitting in an appointment with nothing to do. I suspect it may be more than some may care to know
Have a great weekend all

Corner Kicks--this should make the dentist happy. We scored 3 Goals off corner kicks. No exaggeration, I don't think that we've scored 3 goals off corners in the last 3 years. It has been a real weakness to which the dentist & I have often pointed. And we have scored 5 Goals off corners in our first 5 games--unbelievable, & hopefully a harbinger of things to come. The serves have been better & the girls have been very quick, strong & aggressive in the box & around the Goal.

Temple transfer Haley Gutkowski off the bench looks like a player, & a scorer. If she is, that makes us even more potent & dangerous.
Cant speak to the play of each & every girl though each deserves recognition it in their own right. Can say that only one starting field player is a senior--Allie Lynch & she has a graduate year if she wants it. All the other girls are juniors & sophomores, including Emma Misal here, who by the way expects to be back soon, & all have an extra covid year of eligibility. So this team will stay together & be around a while.
Sam will be the non-keeper MVP of this team the next couple of years.

Reactions: JoeDell27

Agree with all your points that goal off the corner kick was a thing of beauty!! Like you said our corner kicks have improved so much not sure why we didn't correct it last year but know most of our corner kicks are about 7 yard out where the goalie can't get there and as we know anything can happen if the goalie cannot catch the ball or knock it away;
Agree with you about Kassidy just looked so much more confident with the ball and of course not having much pressure certainly helps but lets hope this is an upward curve with her
Sam Kroeger 100% this years Gabby she is everywhere!!
As a caveat I did miss the first 10minutes and last 10 minutes as i had prior engagments on both sides of the game!!

I was at the game and agree with a lot of what you've said. Thought all of the CBs played very well. Nothing too threatening but one mishandled ball while someone is trying to make a run behind you could lead to a bad result. But Mason, Banks and Kuryla were very calm and collected under pressure in those cases which is the best you can ask for. When Misal gets back (which I'm very much looking forward to), it's going to be really nice having five defenders come into the game as a OB or a CB and not have a big drop-off, if any at all.

Sam is all over the pitch for the team: a cog in the machine on the attack, tracking back to help defensively. Her presence on the wing is so big for the team. I also noticed that, in my opinion, the team started playing better when Kylie Daigle started playing a little more confidently and getting passes into Lowrey and Tiernan. The first half she played a little nervously and she really upped her game for the second half and made the offense more dynamic. She's going to have to find that consistency across a full game but I think she's an overlooked key to the offense clicking. I also think Romano going back to midfield once Misal is back is going to be really nice, as I've felt her passing has improved a good deal and could be better utilized in the middle of the field. Brocious and Fluchel are obviously fantastic and so underrated in my opinion. Always making the smart pass and both are fantastic defensively. They don't make flashy plays, they just keep the machine moving, and it deserves more praise than it sometimes gets.

I also feel validated for picking out Gutowski in the Monmouth scrimmage as someone who could give us good minutes, haha. I'll admit to not noticing Post much but it was hard to differentiate players without numbers that day. Either way, both have looked like great contributors in their limited time off the bench. How that translates to harder conference play, I have no clue. But even if they put in a few minutes where they create a chance or two and don't allow others to create a chance, that'll be more than enough.

Overall, it was a good team effort after dropping some in the rankings. After a couple of teams lost ahead of them (namely Penn State, BYU and TCU), if they're able to take care of business vs Princeton, they should find themselves in a better position come Tuesday. But they definitely can't look past a quality Princeton team by any means.

Love what I’ve seen from the bench thus far, really building serious depth.

Kuryla has been a nice surprise on defense. She’s played both CB and OB and looked solid in both roles.

Gia Girman is like a “6th man” in basketball - instant offense and really pesky. She has similar qualities to Sam Kroeger in terms of speed, quickness, and determination, but may have a bigger leg than Sam.

Hailey Gutowski has good skills and energy on the wing, and has shown the ability to both score and dish.

Allie Post and Giana Romano have been solid in midfield, with Romano showing versatility at OB, and Post flashing some offensive acumen the last two games.

Once Emma Misal returns, the rotation should be:

F - Tiernan, Lowrey, Kroeger
M - Brocious, Daigle, Fluchel
B - Lynch, Mason, Banks, Misal

First two Forwards off the bench - Girman, Gutowski

First two mids off the bench - Romano, Post

First back off the bench - Kuryla

That’s a really good 15 player rotation. And many of them have shown position flexibility, with some playing M or B.

Degas, agree with your excellent analysis & breakdown. Only caveat, if Banks begins to struggle again may switch Kuryla in there & see how it goes.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Degas, agree with your excellent analysis & breakdown. Only caveat, if Banks begins to struggle again may switch Kuryla in there & see how it goes.
Agree. (Btw, it’s DegaZ with a Z - I’m not related to the French Impressionist LOL). 😀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT