ADVERTISEMENT

Worst win in Rutgers basketball history

Might be right, when I was in school the team wasn’t good enough to pull off a worst win.

It remains to be seen if this unbelievably pathetic performance provides a desperately needed "wake-up" call to this team...or if this squad just doesn't, in fact, have any "wake-up" in them at all.

It remains to be seen if this unbelievably pathetic performance provides a desperately needed "wake-up" call to this team...or if this squad just doesn't, in fact, have any "wake-up" in them at all.
You don’t “wake up” and just start shooting better. This team has a serious lack of offensive talent.

The worst part for me was that I was hoping Griffiths could light it up and get some confidence going heading into B1G play
I still think he’ll be very good but he’s certainly not the recruit he was billed as right now. This “so called” offense doesn’t do him any favors either. Sometimes all it takes is setting up a player for a back door cut and a layup to get his confidence going, especially with freshmen. None of that going on here. It’s every man for themselves on offense.

Reactions: Scangg
I still think he’ll be very good but he’s certainly not the recruit he was billed as right now. This “so called” offense doesn’t do him any favors either. Sometimes all it takes is setting up a player for a back door cut and a layup to get his confidence going, especially with freshmen. None of that going on here. It’s every man for themselves on offense.
There is zero attempt to get Gavin the ball in good spots to score

The silence from the crowd, while leaving the RAC, was as if we had lost.

But let’s find the silver lining.
Cliff, paced himself by not getting any rebounds last game, so he would have the energy to shoot the lights out from the foul line late in this game. He obviously knew what he was doing.

Whats Gavin’s role on this team? Pike said he’s the most talented player he’s recruited, but he’s only being asked to come off the bench and essentially play floor spacer. If that’s his role he’s being wasted. That can’t be the plan.

Let’s get the kid in space where he can create. Can we run a damn down screen to free up Gavin and get him the ball toward the top to the key? He needs to have the ball in his hands a lot more.

Whats Gavin’s role on this team? Pike said he’s the most talented player he’s recruited, but he’s only being asked to come off the bench and essentially play floor spacer. If that’s his role he’s being wasted. That can’t be the plan.

Let’s get the kid in space where he can create. Can we run a damn down screen to free up Gavin and get him the ball toward the top to the key? He needs to have the ball in his hands a lot more.
Sorry, we don’t do that

• Haha
Reactions: cshelley and Rhuarc
The non development of Griffiths is deeply disappointing for the player and the team.He was recruited to be a go to scorer and as the season has progressed ,his performance has gotten worse.As fans we don't know what goes on in practice. Scoring and rebounding are problem areas that require further attention.

Reactions: bac2therac
You don’t “wake up” and just start shooting better. This team has a serious lack of offensive talent.

That's actually exactly what I meant when I talked about them possibly not having any "wake-up" in them at all. -That there's a strong possibility they can't do it because the ability just isn't there.

The non development of Griffiths is deeply disappointing for the player and the team.He was recruited to be a go to scorer and as the season has progressed ,his performance has gotten worse.As fans we don't know what goes on in practice. Scoring and rebounding are problem areas that require further attention.
This team needed Gavin to be a reliable go to scorer and Noah to be a true solid dependable lead guard to be successful

Neither has happened

We are a quarterback and 2 decomitts away from being a football school

and Pikes refusal to do it is mind boggling. Look if Gavin isnt good enough that is one thing but its clear that putting up on the perimeter and asking him to shoot 3s is not developing him

I’m convinced they don’t spend more than 15% of practice time on offense. It’s almost like Pike has an Eddie Jordan approach to offense. Waste of time to worry about it. We focus on holding teams to as few as points as possible and hope we scrounge out enough points to win. It’s been like this even when we had more talented players.

Reactions: Scangg
Hey, they won, right? Sure they should have blown them out, but they held tough and got the W instead of completely falling apart. Take the win, learn from mistakes and move on.

Reactions: Plum Street
Houston . . we have a problem . . . and it’s chemistry - not finding open shooters, too much dribbling and not sharing the game to attack the other team’s weakness. A case in point, on one of the last few possessions with the game on the line Mag chucked up an early ill advised 3 while Cliff was wide open in the low post loosely covered by 2 guys each with 4 fouls. No one should have been taking a shot until Cliff got at least one touch on that possession. On the way back up the floor Cliff was jawing at Mag about it. Not a good sign. Pike needs to get that fixed along with the woeful rebounding!

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Stonehill was missing three starters and had six scholarship players on their entire roster and recently moved up from D2
And this was the biggest game of the season for them. Sometimes teams play up, while others play down to lesser competition. Not saying it's right, but RU picked up the W, avoided disaster. Survive and advance.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
and Pikes refusal to do it is mind boggling. Look if Gavin isnt good enough that is one thing but its clear that putting up on the perimeter and asking him to shoot 3s is not developing him
Honestly, maybe people are over estimating Gavin’s ability. Coaches play the best players. Pike is a proven coach. Maybe the freshman just isn’t ready or isn’t as good as the fans think. I like Gavin’s game but he’s struggling. No need to force a struggling freshman into the line up.

And this was the biggest game of the season for them. Sometimes teams play up, while others play down to lesser competition. Not saying it's right, but RU picked up the W, avoided disaster. Survive and advance.

In theory you’re right but Stonehill is horrific. But, I agree, better than a loss.

Stonehill had played UCONN, Kentucky and Miami this season.
They weren't afraid of RU
RU was up by 11 at one point, but they kept Stonehill in the game and they almost made RU paid.

I agree with most of the sentiment about the game, but i am still optimistic
We will find out real soon.

I don’t know the beginning of the 21-22 season had some pretty bad wins (and losses). Squeaking by Lehigh, and scoring 48 points against Merrimack were both pretty bad. Then of course losing to Umass, Lafayette and DePaul.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT