ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling - Recruit State Results

WNG - Are we recruiting Dom Demas the brother of Josh Demas ? He looks a lot better than Mekhi Lewis. As Josh Demas works with the SKWC, does it give us the inside track.

Holy crap! Cochran takes Bierdumpfel down with 1 sec to go (after Bier had his legs) and wins 3-2!

Cochran wrestled him tough twice this year (3-0 & 3-1). Felt like he could break through. If it wasn't for Suriano, Cochran would have gotten MOW with the gauntlet he maneuvered to get to the final as a 3rd place finisher at regions.

Racpack
We sure are recruiting Demas. Hopefully Josh stays with us and that can't hurt our chances. Josh is a wonderful young man and has been a great workout partner for the upper weights.

WNG - Are we recruiting Dom Demas the brother of Josh Demas ? He looks a lot better than Mekhi Lewis. As Josh Demas works with the SKWC, does it give us the inside track.
Dont know much about Demas.. but Lewis is a beast. Won it at 145 yesterday over tough O Malley & I think hes only a Jr

Cochran wrestled him tough twice this year (3-0 & 3-1). Felt like he could break through. If it wasn't for Suriano, Cochran would have gotten MOW with the gauntlet he maneuvered to get to the final as a 3rd place finisher at regions.
Cochrans been a very good wrestler for a long time. Hes been closing the gap on KB. Check my pg 2 post- cochran over KB in final. Saw it coming

Reactions: mandfense
We have to start landing some of these NJ lower weight kids. Cray (MD), Farro (Lehigh), Agaisse (Princeton),Kelly (Columbia) Rivera, Ghionne, Firestone, Shneider.. all top wrestlers.
We should show intrest on \the underclassmen- Lewis, OMalley (x2), Glory, Angelo, Raimo, Griffith, Mandarino, Foca, Santos. Alot of talent coming, lets get it

I'm not sure you could ask for much better than what we got this year. The NJSIAA finals was basically a Rutgers advertisement for anyone paying attention. 5 finalists, and 1 guy finishing 3rd. Grello and Mulligan 2 time state champs, and never really a doubt. Of course Suriano was the big star, but behind him were a trio of guys all coming to RU.

Not to mention, we desperately needed upper weights, and now help is on the way. Its not perfect, but its good for where we are. You can just feel the floodgates about to open up. If we have a couple more good recruiting years in a row, we will cement ourselves in the top half of the Big Ten, and be a legitimate competitor for 3 - 6 in the Big Ten.

Reactions: RickB113
Could always do better, recruiting is non stop. Your right we landed some NJ studs but theres alot more out there. NJ wrestling is top notch. Notice how many wrestling clubs there are? They are opening up all over. Wrestling has become a year round sport.
Check out PSU roster/recruits coming in--yes we can ask for bettr

Check out PSU roster/recruits coming in--yes we can ask for bettr

LOL. Yes, great comparison. We need to do as well as the team that's pretty much dominated college wrestling lately.

Of course we do ... eventually. We need to start getting more of the Ashnaults and Surianos and McFaddens of the world. Realistically though, it's a process. We aren't even fully funded yet (OOS). When Goodale started we had less than 3 scholarships, I think. It's a process, but we are getting there. That's right, you are limited in scholarships. This isn't football. Hell, we have more NCAA entries than PSU. That should count for something (in our development as a program).

We should show interest in those guys? We already are. We need to get some lower weights? We brought in three state finalists under 140 this year, and each of them were close to winning. No reason to knock the current class.

Reactions: jerzey devil
The guys I said to show interst in are the underclass men if you fully read the post. You can't bring in a good class and then take a break.... The clock keeps ticking. Reload. Ru is looking good you have to strike while the irons hot. Ash is a draw but he's not going to be here forever
Btw- WHO KNOCKED THE CURRENT CLASS??? Are you kidding me??

Lewis looked solid but Glasgow is probably the reason the Nebraska head coach was roaming the Region 5 gym ten days ago. Hope we're alive here. $$$$

I hate to be a downer but expecting recruiting efforts to get to PSU's level anytime soon is not very realistic. There is a long way to go to compete with them, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan and Minnesota on a regular basis. Especially PSU. They are cherry picking a few top 10 recruits from across the nation every year and out gunning everybody in the sport. Things are still on a positive trajectory though. I'm sure the coaches plan on keeping things headed that way.

Definitly cant get to their level but the goal is to close the gap. RU has a good rep and Jersey kids seem to be buying in. Would love to see top NJ kids stay home

you are setting the bar way too low.

I am not though. As Jaroslav said, our goal as a program right now is to get in the thick of the second tier of teams including Nebraska, OSU, Michigan, Minnesota on an annual basis. A solid annual goal for the next 5 years at least is to finish in the top 6 of the Big Ten. We will not be competing with Iowa or PSU on a dual meet basis any time soon. Its just not realistic, nor is it fair to expect. Bigger strides may be made on the national level. We have a lot of work to do, but I would hope that inside of 5 years we are finishing inside the top ten in the NCAA tournament.

We need to keep doing our thing, which is growing a program that can compete in this conference. If we do that, the national goals will take care of themselves. We have taken huge strides, and are already way further along than anyone in the sport expected. Perhaps most importantly, we are not a team that sucks outside of a couple of stars. We have a lot of guys competing well in the Big Ten because they have raised their personal level, outperformed their college expectations, and made us a winner in a lot of dual meets where 2 years ago, people would have given us no chance.

We are really close to hitting our next goal, which is to have a national finalist (or even a high All American). I thought we would have two shots at that this year, with a solid chance to break through. Now with both our top guys being hurt that may be in doubt, but Ashnault still has a great chance to get it done.

We have to start landing some of these NJ lower weight kids. Cray (MD), Farro (Lehigh), Agaisse (Princeton),Kelly (Columbia) Rivera, Ghionne, Firestone, Shneider.. all top wrestlers.
We should show intrest on \the underclassmen- Lewis, OMalley (x2), Glory, Angelo, Raimo, Griffith, Mandarino, Foca, Santos. Alot of talent coming, lets get it

The guys I said to show interst in are the underclass men if you fully read the post. You can't bring in a good class and then take a break.... The clock keeps ticking. Reload. Ru is looking good you have to strike while the irons hot. Ash is a draw but he's not going to be here forever
Btw- WHO KNOCKED THE CURRENT CLASS??? Are you kidding me??

Doesn't sound much like high praise either there bud!!

If you were in AC and saw these kids wrestle--thats who the praise is for bud. stating that we should be touching base with these younger kids isnt knocking or "not praising" the 2 & 3 years previous class-- reading comprehension bud

Glasgow and Lewis are going to be the gem of next year's NJ class... their athleticism reminds me of James Green or Caldwell they are going to make impact in D1. Griffith and Raimo will be huge recruits as well before they graduate.

I'm fully confident that Goodale and company are doing everything they possibly can to recruit guys like Lewis and Glasgow, as well as establishing rapport with our promising NJ underclassmen for years to come. The future is certainly bright for the program

Where's Mark McCormick from Camden Catholic going to school. I think he's right up there with our recruits.

I'm fully confident that Goodale and company are doing everything they possibly can to recruit guys like Lewis and Glasgow, as well as establishing rapport with our promising NJ underclassmen for years to come. The future is certainly bright for the program

Absolutely! With the success we've had, it just demonstrates that if you are a good wrestler, you can come to RU and reach your maximum potential. No need to go far away to do this anymore.

Reactions: obrats
Keep them home. NJ wrestling is getting better and better. Some great wrestling in AC last weekend, kids were unreal.

Just heard Joe Grello interview on the wrestling show. Talks up RU (picked with Mulligan over Michigan) you dont have to travel far for great wrestling!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT