ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling recruiting

With whatever is going on with Janzer, Leighner of Del Val out hurt all year, Robinson of Blair having a not good season so far, and Glasgow status still unresolved, this year's recruiting a bit shaky.

Aguilar out in California doing the best I guess.
What happened with janzer? I think he got real big potential

With whatever is going on with Janzer, Leighner of Del Val out hurt all year, Robinson of Blair having a not good season so far, and Glasgow status still unresolved, this year's recruiting a bit shaky.

Aguilar out in California doing the best I guess.

Looks like Robinson is not in top 20 anymore at 138 unless I’m missing something. He’s having a terrible year right now. Maybe he’s hurt. I hope this kid can turn it around because they probably gave him a significant scholarship.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but state champ Billy Janzer a RU vomit is not wrestling and has not for a few weeks now ...anyone have knowledge as to why he isn’t wrestling right now

Article I saw today said it's for disciplinary reasons and he should be back this weekend for Escape The Rock

Looks like Robinson is not in top 20 anymore at 138 unless I’m missing something. He’s having a terrible year right now. Maybe he’s hurt. I hope this kid can turn it around because they probably gave him a significant scholarship.
He doesn't have any scholarship,he's in HS.

Robinson is REALLY struggling. Glasgow sounds like he will be fine as well as Janzer. Aguilar lo Me really good so we are fine. Still need more Ashnaults but obviously those guys are tough. Just hard to believe the top top guys don’t want to wrestle in our environment at the RAC. Too 5 in the sport.

Robinson is REALLY struggling. Glasgow sounds like he will be fine as well as Janzer. Aguilar lo Me really good so we are fine. Still need more Ashnaults but obviously those guys are tough. Just hard to believe the top top guys don’t want to wrestle in our environment at the RAC. Too 5 in the sport.

I suspect what we really need are more Aguilars. If you haven't seen the match from this past weekend, check it out. He is going against a top recruit (I believe he is #10 and the BC kid is #7) for the tournament title, and was being aggressive and taking shots the entire match. Kid has no fear, and great defense.

I'm going to the Who's number 1 duals at Bergen Catholic, will get to see Robinson and all the other stars of Bergen C, Blair, Buchanan and the other teams. I imagine some of our RU wrestling coaches will be there as well as most other from the region (Princeton, Rider, Columbia, Hofstra, Lehigh, Drexel, maybe even Penn St). There will be a lot of talent on those mats within a short drive. Saturday usually an off day for college wrestling (mostly Friday and Sunday for duals).

Abro
Watch freshman Shayne Van Ness at 126 for Blair. He will wrestle 1 of the matches. Cannon will wrestle the other 2. He is behind Colicchio at 120 who is # 1 I the country.

Reactions: Abro1975
No idea when his contract is up but who cares. Lock him up now for future!

Bill, to me Coach Goodale gets a lifetime* contract (* because he can always screw it up lol).

The single best move he made as a coach was recruiting DP to join him. Do you think he needs to bring in an authentic NJ heavyweight coach as well? Cough Steve Mocco cough?

I think we have a well coached squad run by a 'father figure' type who will simultaenously protect his guys while sticking a foot up their ......

Its a good situation. What do you think gets us over the hump from fringe top 10 team to fringe top 5 team?

Bill, to me Coach Goodale gets a lifetime* contract (* because he can always screw it up lol).

The single best move he made as a coach was recruiting DP to join him. Do you think he needs to bring in an authentic NJ heavyweight coach as well? Cough Steve Mocco cough?

I think we have a well coached squad run by a 'father figure' type who will simultaenously protect his guys while sticking a foot up their ......

Its a good situation. What do you think gets us over the hump from fringe top 10 team to fringe top 5 team?

With coach Goodale, DP, Leo, Pollard, I like the coaching staff we have now. They genuinely appear to like each other and have that chemistry. Slowly but steadily, the program has been developing in the upward trend. I say give raise to all the staff and keep everyone happy with more commitment to them.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
We need to raise money for the SKWC so we can get 4 or 5 National caliber athletes to train with our kids. Iowa, PSU,OSU and the other top 5 programs dwarf us with the money they spend on their RTC. We are working ona strategic plan right now to accomplish this.

Mocco seems set in Florida.
Just realized as I’m typing this, I’m seeing a client in North Bergen , original home of Steve Mocco, lol.

Reactions: RUpop
With coach Goodale, DP, Leo, Pollard, I like the coaching staff we have now. They genuinely appear to like each other and have that chemistry. Slowly but steadily, the program has been developing in the upward trend. I say give raise to all the staff and keep everyone happy with more commitment to them.

This group will always, rightfully, be well thought of because they took the program from almost being dropped to being nationally relevant. That said, they need to consistently produce in recruiting and on mat results, and at the moment its hard to say they are on an upward trend in either.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
Time for Hobbs to extend the contract of Scott Goodale. He did Ash, Pike and CVS and the most successful coach at RU is who? Goodale!! Get to it Pat.
If he gave the horrific Dan Donigan a 2 yr extension in 2017, then I sure hope that Goodale and staff get/got extensions and raises.
Mocco seems set in Florida.
Just realized as I’m typing this, I’m seeing a client in North Bergen , original home of Steve Mocco, lol.
Mocco is also the head coach of the New England RTC at Brown in RI:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5065659-steve-mocco-named-head-coach-of-new-england-rtc

Rosters for the Who's #1 Duals at Bergen Catholic this weekend, where RU commit Malcolm Robinson from Blair, gets a chance to show improvement. Bergen Catholic's Josh MacKenzie listed at 182;

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6075780-wno-duals-rosters-released

I think Mckenzie will weigh in at 195 with Mosco and one will go 220(the only spot BC needs help). McKenzie cannot beat Cardenas at 182 and Mosco has wrestled very good(he does look big, so he might bump up to 220 depending on match ups).

Older article on Blair Wrestling, but interesting never the less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/nyregion/education-wrestling-is-king-at-
blair.html

“Though the coaches say that Blair offers scholarships based on need rather than athletic ability, however, it is no accident that 60 percent of the wrestling team is on scholarship. That compares with 40 percent of the student body overall. And the young wrestlers come from as far afield as Russia.”

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Older article on Blair Wrestling, but interesting never the less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/nyregion/education-wrestling-is-king-at-
blair.html

“Though the coaches say that Blair offers scholarships based on need rather than athletic ability, however, it is no accident that 60 percent of the wrestling team is on scholarship. That compares with 40 percent of the student body overall. And the young wrestlers come from as far afield as Russia.”
A slight change in the cost of a year at Blair since that 2003 article. From 30k to 60k. $$$$

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
It appears the Who's Number 1 Duals at Bergen Catholic today (w Blair & RU commit Malcolm Robinson), Buchanan, 3 others) will be streamed live on Bergen Catholics website for free. I've used it in years past, and always had good announcers as well. If you never used it all you need to do is register w your email and a password, no charge. Starts at 11am:

https://locallive.tv/bergencatholic

11am - Session 1

Mat 1: Lake Highland Prep vs. Blair

Mat 2: Buchanan vs. Bergen Catholic

1pm - Session 2

Mat 1: Buchanan vs. Blair

Mat 2: Bergen Catholic vs. Lake Highland Prep

3pm - Session 3

Mat 1: Lake Highland Prep vs. Buchanan

Mat 2: Bergen Catholic vs. Blair

Featured possible matchups:

106: #5 Nick Kayal, Bergen Catholic (NJ) vs. #7 Ryan Miller, Blair (NJ)

Both are coming off high finishes from last weekend. Miller claimed the title at the Geary Invitational, while Kayal was a runner-up at Doc Buchanan.

113: #2 Trevor Mastrogiovanni, Blair (NJ) vs. Maximo Renteria, Buchanan (CA)

Renteria is going to be staying at 113 after starting the season down at 106. He took a wild loss in the semifinals at Doc B but proved to be a serious competitor as he bounced back to place third. Mastrogiovanni has been on a high level, with his only loss coming to top-ranked Kurt McHenry. This will be an incredibly huge test for Renteria.

120: #1 Michael Colaiocco, Blair (NJ) vs. #7 Robert Howard, Bergen Catholic (NJ)

This might be the #1 match to watch. The top-ranked Colaiocco will take on the former #1 in Howard. Both guys claimed titles last weekend, with Colaiocco coasting by the competition at the Geary Invitational. Howard had a tougher time winning his title at Doc Buchanan, but he was still very impressive. This match will have a lot of action, and I can see it coming down to one takedown.

138: No. 18 Matthew Olguin, Buchanan (CA) vs. Malcolm Robinson, Blair (NJ)

This has not been a very good season for Robinson. He's had some losses that have left us scratching our heads a bit wondering if he's fully recovered from an injury he suffered this summer. Olguin is still trying to get his bearings after moving up a few weight classes and coming off an injury himself from a little over a month ago. Olguin did just place third at Doc B, while Robinson was a runner-up at Geary. It's a bit of a bounce-back weekend for a pair who have battled injuries and losses.

160: #4 Andrew Merola, Blair (NJ) vs. #5 Shane Griffith, Bergen Catholic (NJ)

Behind Howard vs. Colaiocco, this match is a can't-miss. Merola is coming off a loss in finals of Geary, and Griffith just put on an incredible performance in California, where he claimed his 100th win the semifinals. The last time they met, which was just a few weeks ago in the Beast of the East semifinals, Merola edged Griffith in ultimate tiebreaker, so I'm expecting a conservative match.

170: #4 Julian Ramirez, Blair (NJ) vs. #6 Chris Foca, Bergen Catholic (NJ)

It's been a little up and down for both guys this year. Ramirez is on the upswing coming off a title, while Foca took a loss to eventual Doc B champ Cole Moody in the semis before placing third.

182: #7 Anthony Montalvo, Buchanan (CA) vs. #9 Jacob Cardenas, Bergen Catholic (NJ)

Using the fireworks we saw during their match in the Doc B finals as an indicator, a rematch this weekend would be on another level. Expect more of what we saw the first time around.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6019892-2018-whos-number-1-duals-presented-by-asics

Someone has to pay the Piper so scholarships can be dealt out.

There are a lot of rich , foreign kids at Blair . Most likely , they are the ones paying the freight. My niece is a junior at Blair, plays on their Softball team. But she is a day student, living in nearby Allamuchy. She said there are plenty of foreign , seemingly , rich kids there.
Funny story, she says there is a statuesque , rich Russian girl there, who aspires to be the next Kim Kardasian, lol.

Last edited:
Round 1 from Bergen Catholic:
Blair 45 Lake Highland Prep 13
Bergen Catholic 34 Buchanan 24

Malcom Robinson won first match , Josh McKenzie with a pin at 195.
Edit Robinson lost next match 5-2

Full results:

RR Rnd 1
106 Ryan Miller (Blair) DEC Jake Wohltman (Lake Highland Prep), 8-2
106 Nick Kayal (Bergen Catholic) DEC Hunter Leake (Buchanan), 4-0
113 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Blair) F Nic Bouzakis (Lake Highland Prep), 4:42
113 Maximo Renteria (Buchanan) F Kelly Dunnigan (Bergen Catholic), 3:45
120 Robert Howard (Bergen Catholic) TF Logan Gioffre (Buchanan), 21-3 4:30
120 Mike Coliaocco (Blair) TF Ryan Chauvin (Lake Highland Prep), 19-4 4:48
126 Dylan Weaver (Bergen Catholic) MD George Ruiz (Buchanan), 17-3
126 Chris Cannon (Blair) MD Vincent Menozzi (Lake Highland Prep), 16-3
132 Carmen Ferrante (Bergen Catholic) DEC Ethan Leake (Buchanan), 5-3 SV
132 Joe Silva (Lake Highland Prep) DEC Travis Mastrogiovanni (Blair), 12-7
138 Matthew Olguin (Buchanan) F Sal Mainiero (Bergen Catholic), 0:25
138 Malcolm Robinson (Blair) DEC Noah Castillo (Lake Highland Prep), 5-2
145 Kai Bele (Lake Highland Prep) DEC Mike Madara (Blair), 6-2
145 Chris Gaxiola (Buchanan) DEC Wade Unger (Bergen Catholic), 4-3
152 Willy Kaiser (Blair) F Cameron Monzadeh (Lake Highland Prep), 2:34
152 Tristan Zamilpa (Buchanan) DEC Gerard Angelo (Bergen Catholic), 4-3
160 Andrew Merola (Blair) DEC Erich Byelick (Lake Highland Prep), 6-2
160 Shane Griffith (Bergen Catholic) MD Joel Romero (Buchanan), 9-1
170 Christopher Foca (Bergen Catholic) DEC Jadon Martin (Buchanan), 8-3
170 Julian Ramirez (Blair) F Max Cosmides (Lake Highland Prep), 3:27
182 Anthony Montalvo (Buchanan) DEC Jacob Cardendas (Bergen Catholic), 5-2 TB2
182 Leo Tarantino (Blair) DEC Logan Andrew (Lake Highland Prep), 7-1
195 Josh Mckenzie (Bergen Catholic) F Jalen Peralta (Buchanan), 1:05
220 Trevor Ervin (Buchanan) DEC Sage Mosco (Bergen Catholic), 3-2
220 Ben Goldin (Lake Highland Prep) DEC Owen Trephan (Blair), 3-2 TB2
285 John High (Bergen Catholic) F Naishawn Duchett (Buchanan), 5:13
285 Curtis Ruff (Lake Highland Prep) MD Kraig Correll (Blair), 11-2

Last edited:
113 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (Blair) F Nic Bouzakis (Lake Highland Prep), 4:42
We should be recruiting Nic Bouzakis. He's a stud 8th grader wrestling HS varsity in FL (FL, NY and other states allow 7th and 8th graders to wrestle varsity, unlike NJ). His dad was one of the greatest NY HS wrestlers.

Robinson lost 3-0 to Olguin. Olguin is the kid that beat Nico Aguliar in the CA state finals at 106.

Robinson bumping up to 145 for the match against BC.

Robinson loses 3-0 to Unger.

Brutal.

Just saw it, Robinson has zero energy, was ridden badly for about 4 minutes. Does this kid have Mono?
Wow, he might be the weakest link now in the Blair lineup.

Bergen Catholic clinches the win over Blair Academy w 2 bouts still to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT