ADVERTISEMENT

WTF Big Ten Network

NBHPRU

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2021
For the second week in a row the Big Ten Network is showing the other BIG matchup (Western Michigan vs Iowa this week) in my region (Western NC) rather than the Rutgers game. Again, my only option is to watch the Virginia Tech game on my computer (instead of my 65” TV). This especially stinks because last week’s game cut out with 5 minutes and 37 seconds left, and this week I also cannot watch to the end of the game. (I have tickets to a concert tonight.) I had fully expected to DVR this game (and the last one too) as I do all available Football, MBB and WBB games, and watch the end later. Can’t do this if the game is not on TV though.

Who makes these decisions, and on what basis? I find it hard to believe that there are more people in my area interested in watching Western Michigan vs Iowa than VA Tech vs. Rutgers. Very disappointed.

I think the culprit is Spectrum that is not offering it on any overflow channels. Not sure how to communicate my frustration to them. I do not want to add any more services (YouTube TV etc.) for these random situations. Am I missing another free option that does not require adding services? And does anyone else hate the Football in 60 program?

For the second week in a row the Big Ten Network is showing the other BIG matchup (Western Michigan vs Iowa this week) in my region (Western NC) rather than the Rutgers game. Again, my only option is to watch the Virginia Tech game on my computer (instead of my 65” TV). This especially stinks because last week’s game cut out with 5 minutes and 37 seconds left, and this week I also cannot watch to the end of the game. (I have tickets to a concert tonight.) I had fully expected to DVR this game (and the last one too) as I do all available Football, MBB and WBB games, and watch the end later. Can’t do this if the game is not on TV though.

Who makes these decisions, and on what basis? I find it hard to believe that there are more people in my area interested in watching Western Michigan vs Iowa than VA Tech vs. Rutgers. Very disappointed.

I think the culprit is Spectrum that is not offering it on any overflow channels. Not sure how to communicate my frustration to them. I do not want to add any more services (YouTube TV etc.) for these random situations. Am I missing another free option that does not require adding services? And does anyone else hate the Football in 60 program?
Have you tried using screen cast to your TV from your laptop, or plug in HDMI cable and set TV as your monitor

Same shit down here in Houston. I could understand if we were getting bumped for Michigan vs. Ohio State, but nobody in Houston gives a shit about Western Michigan vs. Iowa. And they didn't care about Minnesota last week. Two f'ing weeks in a row!

Someone in the Rutgers Athletics Department needs to be up the Big Ten Network's ass about this.

I am visiting out West and same BS out here. Only the Iowa game is on BTN
Total BS coverage.

Have you tried using screen cast to your TV from your laptop, or plug in HDMI cable and set TV as your monitor
This. My BTN in NYC on Spectrum is still freezing so I tried casting to the tv from the Spectrum app on my phone and it was fine. Wish I'd done that for the Temple game last week.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Get a fire tv and you should be able to watch on the fox sports app. 95% sure.
L

What provider are you on? Is it cable?
YouTube TV, will show the main one, but others are available by clicking on network, then finding other games scrolling down on screen.

Any chance you have an option like that? Also other games don't show in my live feed until game time I think

Same here in coastal NC on Merge/Focus provider. I can stream it on Fox Sports app on my tv and it’s pretty much the same as watching on BTN.

I guess I could but that doesn't help if they don't show the entire game. Also, probably can't DVR this.

Spectrum has 2 overflow channels. I'm not sure whether they are part of the basic subscription or the sports package I get that includes ACC & SEC.

Try HULU Live? I'm in the NW corner of NC (Boone). My HULU Live account is "grandfathered"/mapped to Raleigh, which was done when I was based in Pinehurst. When I reactivated my HULU account in Boone in late August, it still had me mapped to the Raleigh local stations, rather than Charlotte, where HULU wants to base my local service. Anyway... I'm getting the RU v VA Tech game at 3:30. Not sure what the Charlotte menu would force on me.

What is your zip code and provider

Does Fox Sports app still have on-demand replays for BTN games? I know they did last year, not sure after the new deal.

Would allow OP to watch the end of the game later if so.

Spectrum has 2 overflow channels. I'm not sure whether they are part of the basic subscription or the sports package I get that includes ACC & SEC.
I have the Gold (top Level) subscription with ACC, SEC, and PAC 12. Our game is not available on any of the overflow channels.

Is this a BTN issue or a BIG issue? The idea of overflow shouldn’t be on the table at all with so many networks.

Is this a BTN issue or a BIG issue? The idea of overflow shouldn’t be on the table at all with so many networks.
This. The conference should have some responsibility to ensure all of the affiliated games are available everywhere. This isn't the Patriot League and I shouldn't have to lobby the largest cable television provider in Texas (Comcast Xfinity) to watch a game between two Power 5 conference members.

Reactions: Bon1674 and NBHPRU
No problem here getting it on Xfinity with BTN and the sports package. Never understood the reluctance by some of our wealthy posters , who almost weekly now , wonder where to watch the game ? There are numerous ways to see the games , some cheaper than others but like donations , people tend to cheap out. To make a buck you gotta spend a buck. So cut back on a beer or two and toss the $$$ in a jar to purchase in season App or channel packages offered. At least we are on every week.

No problem here getting it on Xfinity with BTN and the sports package. Never understood the reluctance by some of our wealthy posters , who almost weekly now , wonder where to watch the game ? There are numerous ways to see the games , some cheaper than others but like donations , people tend to cheap out. To make a buck you gotta spend a buck. So cut back on a beer or two and toss the $$$ in a jar to purchase in season App or channel packages offered. At least we are on every week.
I have every sports package they offer in Houston on Xfinity and the game isn't available. Meanwhile, I can get games between HBCs, Liberty vs Buffalo, Iowa State vs Ohio, and ... I'm not kidding ... right now I can watch Shaw vs. Bowie State (two schools I've never heard of) on The Grio (a channel I've never heard of).

But Rutgers? Nope. Two weeks in a row.

Last edited:
As was being discussed in another thread, Streaming will also auto-record games once it knows you like a team. So you don't even have to set a DVR. Think the thread was about YTTV, but Hulu Live TV does it too. Amazon Prime, too, but they don't have RU games.

Iowa is a top 25 team....when RU becomes a ranked team they will be showcased outside of the local area as well...it's just about appeal..

I have every sports package they offer in Houston on Xfinity and the game isn't available. Meanwhile, I can get games between HBCs, Liberty vs Buffalo, Iowa State vs Ohio, and ... I'm not kidding ... right now I can watch Shaw vs. Bowie State (two schools I've never heard of) on The Grio (a channel I've never heard of).

But Rutgers? Nope. Two weeks in a row.
Roku… Hulu… Fox App…Xfinity one of if not the largest provider .., youtube…just have to know what’s available as it pertains to your sports viewing. Good Luck hope you find an answer to this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT