ADVERTISEMENT

WTF Big Ten Network

But I think the point here is that’s ridiculous. I dvr’d the game (guide said RU v VT) as I like to watch when I come home from the game.

I have Optimum and they moved the game like last week to the overflow Ch so I dvr’d the Iowa game.

Why wouldn’t THAT game be on the over flow here and the RU game be on the over flow in and around Iowa ????

FN ridiculous.
This week optimum was a complete f up. The second half of the game is on the regular btn channel. They're was a time when both channels were showing Iowa.

Yes ridiculous. Incompetent and almost certainly unintentional.

Not to beat a very live horse, but not only was the game super easy to find on both Hulu Live and Fox Sports - a big app-like tile showing on the home screen without any regard for channel number- Hulu auto-recorded the game without my even thinking about it.

The last game didn't show up immediately on the home screen, so I used the search feature and found it in five seconds. Also auto-recorded for later viewing.

Use this terrible game experience as motivation to cut cable TV and go Streaming. Beyond a much better RU gameday experience you'll enjoy all the other great benefits.

Unbelievable!

Cablevision, aka Optimum, is not showing it on the BTN.

It's on channel 205 on Cablevision, SPTH1.
What the actual F? I saw this thread earlier and it seemed like the complaints were from subscribers out of state, but then I just tried to watch the RU game on my DVR and I got the Iowa game. That's just wrong, wrong, wrong, like wrongoriffic wrong. Haven't had time to research this at all, but hoping the RU AD flipped out on the BTN on this one. I wouldn't even care about having to use some other channel to record the game on while I'm there in person, but Optimum had the game listed as being on 247, the B1G main channel, but nope, not there, so I had no idea. Epic fail. Luckily, earlier tonight I watched the 60 in 60 game.

Yep same thing with me with altice in Monmouth county . Kick in the ass is that I confirmed before I went to the game that the broadcast on BTN still said Rutgers-Va tech before I left.
And it still "thought" it was VT at RU on the DVR version as that was the title listed while watching friggin' Iowa play.

It was on the 2nd BTN stream. Use the Guide to find it going forward. I always set up the DVR in advance so I know which feed it's on even though I am at the game.
I used the guide and set the DVR around noon, right before I left. Unacceptable to have it listing the wrong channel for the game.

Reactions: Section124
So, I Googled and found Politi's article, where he mentions the Optimum debacle, although he had no intel, at the time, on whether anything was being done about it. Has anyone heard a peep from Hobbs or the Dept? This is way more infuriating than unimportant things like concessions, lol.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...its-3-0-record-is-politis-5-observations.html

e. People of New Jersey (and beyond): Check your local listings, and double check them, and triple check them, and then call your cable provider. Finding the game is becoming a weekly adventure, with many viewers turning on their TVs at 3:30 p.m. to be greeted by ... Iowa-Western Michigan?
f. To make it worse, many viewers reported that Iowa-Western Michigan was on both regular BTN and the overflow channel on several cable systems. The Broncos were giving the Hawkeyes a game, but c’mon, BTN. Know your audience.

Reactions: Plum Street
What the actual F? I saw this thread earlier and it seemed like the complaints were from subscribers out of state, but then I just tried to watch the RU game on my DVR and I got the Iowa game. That's just wrong, wrong, wrong, like wrongoriffic wrong. Haven't had time to research this at all, but hoping the RU AD flipped out on the BTN on this one. I wouldn't even care about having to use some other channel to record the game on while I'm there in person, but Optimum had the game listed as being on 247, the B1G main channel, but nope, not there, so I had no idea. Epic fail. Luckily, earlier tonight I watched the 60 in 60 game.

By the way, it should flip to the Rutgers game on your DVR shortly into the 2nd half.

So, I Googled and found Politi's article, where he mentions the Optimum debacle, although he had no intel, at the time, on whether anything was being done about it. Has anyone heard a peep from Hobbs or the Dept? This is way more infuriating than unimportant things like concessions, lol.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...its-3-0-record-is-politis-5-observations.html

e. People of New Jersey (and beyond): Check your local listings, and double check them, and triple check them, and then call your cable provider. Finding the game is becoming a weekly adventure, with many viewers turning on their TVs at 3:30 p.m. to be greeted by ... Iowa-Western Michigan?
f. To make it worse, many viewers reported that Iowa-Western Michigan was on both regular BTN and the overflow channel on several cable systems. The Broncos were giving the Hawkeyes a game, but c’mon, BTN. Know your audience.

Too bad that's behind a paywall.

For the second week in a row the Big Ten Network is showing the other BIG matchup (Western Michigan vs Iowa this week) in my region (Western NC) rather than the Rutgers game. Again, my only option is to watch the Virginia Tech game on my computer (instead of my 65” TV). This especially stinks because last week’s game cut out with 5 minutes and 37 seconds left, and this week I also cannot watch to the end of the game. (I have tickets to a concert tonight.) I had fully expected to DVR this game (and the last one too) as I do all available Football, MBB and WBB games, and watch the end later. Can’t do this if the game is not on TV though.

Who makes these decisions, and on what basis? I find it hard to believe that there are more people in my area interested in watching Western Michigan vs Iowa than VA Tech vs. Rutgers. Very disappointed.

I think the culprit is Spectrum that is not offering it on any overflow channels. Not sure how to communicate my frustration to them. I do not want to add any more services (YouTube TV etc.) for these random situations. Am I missing another free option that does not require adding services? And does anyone else hate the Football in 60 program?
Is your 65" TV a smart TV? I found the game on the overflow channel on optimum (channel 205) but it was unwatchable quality. So I installed the Fox Sports app on the TV and watched it there, which was great quality.

That was on a Sony TV, which uses Android TV OS. But I'd imagine most other TVs, using whatever smart TV OS, have the Fox Sports app available.

The only blip was that, about 30 minutes into watching on the Fox Sports App, the app hid coverage of the game and told me my "30 minute trial" was over and I'd need to sign in to continue watching. Which I did using my optimum credentials. A minor irritant, mostly because the interruption came right in the middle of a 3rd or 4th down play.

Is your 65" TV a smart TV? I found the game on the overflow channel on optimum (channel 205) but it was unwatchable quality. So I installed the Fox Sports app on the TV and watched it there, which was great quality.

That was on a Sony TV, which uses Android TV OS. But I'd imagine most other TVs, using whatever smart TV OS, have the Fox Sports app available.

The only blip was that, about 30 minutes into watching on the Fox Sports App, the app hid coverage of the game and told me my "30 minute trial" was over and I'd need to sign in to continue watching. Which I did using my optimum credentials. A minor irritant, mostly because the interruption came right in the middle of a 3rd or 4th down play.
My point is that having to still go through these gyrations is total BS. I am the customer. My expectations are not unreasonable. Shit should just work right and not require this much effort to achieve a basic service. Hopefully there will be enough of an outcry from the fans for the powers that be will fix this problem.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
My point is that having to still go through these gyrations is total BS. I am the customer. My expectations are not unreasonable. Shit should just work right and not require this much effort to achieve a basic service. Hopefully there will be enough of an outcry from the fans for the powers that be will fix this problem.
I understand the frustration.

But since we can't control what the networks do, if you have access to the Fox Sports App, I'd recommend installing it on the TV prior to Saturday's game. Might also want to sign on and watch something until the 30-minute free period expires, then sign on with whatever TV provider you have.

That way, if this issue happens again, you should be ready to watch on the TV. It's a hassle, but at least it's better than watching on a computer, or scrambling to find how to watch it next time.

Once I was on the Fox Sports App, the coverage was indistinguishable from watching on BTN.

Only flaw in all this is if the game isn't streamed on the Fox Sports App, which I suppose is always possible - not sure if they stream every game or not.

Not a gyration, a solution. Fix the problem yourself.

Fox Sports app will have your replay, too, so you don't have to worry about DVR mishaps or catching the 60-min version.

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
All the BTN games are also live on the Fox Sports app.
Still the providers and BTN need to resolve this issue.
The in-market B1G team should ALWAYS be on the primary BTN channel when there are multiple feeds. PERIOD.

Reactions: NBHPRU and mildone
Was really bad to not see the game live, record it, then have it bounce to Iowa. I get a weather delay caused issues but BTN needs to be able to have a solution for that.

I totally disagree! There was no comparison. The App images were brighter and sharper!
You think the BTN app is better than the Fox Sports app in terms of picture quality? That has not been my experience at all.

Mildone, I have to seriously question your reading comprehension! I stated in my post that I watched the game on the Fox Sports App.

Mildone, I have to seriously question your reading comprehension! I stated in my post that I watched the game on the Fox Sports App.
Uh... no. My reading comprehension is perfect.

I said the Fox Sports App quality was "surprisingly good". And that the BTN app was not as good.

You said, and I quote: "I totally disagree". And you said, again I'm quoting, that the "App imagines were brighter and sharper". Only you didn't say which app, of the two I had mentioned, you were referring to. Which is ambiguous.

Since you said you disagreed with what I said about how good the Fox Sports App was, that implied you thought the BTN app was somehow better.

Thus I posted again, to get you to clarify what you meant due to the ambiguity of your post.

Reactions: AZBlues
Uh... no. My reading comprehension is perfect.

I said the Fox Sports App quality was "surprisingly good". And that the BTN app was not as good.

You said, and I quote: "I totally disagree". And you said, again I'm quoting, that the "App imagines were brighter and sharper". Only you didn't say which app, of the two I had mentioned, you were referring to. Which is ambiguous.

Since you said you disagreed with what I said about how good the Fox Sports App was, that implied you thought the BTN app was somehow better.

Thus I posted again, to get you to clarify what you meant due to the ambiguity of your post.
Mildone, you are an arrogant ass! In my original post, I clearly stated that I have DIRECTV. I also stated that I chose to watch on the Fox App because of the superior picture quality. What was ambiguous?

The quality was surprisingly good. The BTN app quality is nowhere near as good.
BTN and the app suck. Can't get through any of their programming be it directly through channel or app without delays, pixelation or skipping.

Mildone, you are an arrogant ass! In my original post, I clearly stated that I have DIRECTV. I also stated that I chose to watch on the Fox App because of the superior picture quality. What was ambiguous?
I directly quoted your post containing the ambiguity. And what you wrote earlier doesn't clarify the ambiguity of your subsequent post. Not sure how that makes me either arrogant or an ass.

You realize, right, that you're the only one of us who has resorted to personal insults here (twice, no less 😂).

Oh, and if you don't mind, I really prefer to be called "douchebag" rather than "ass", thanks. I'll cop to the arrogance, though, since I am lots better than you in every conceivable way and, as you can see, I don't mind telling you all about it. 😉

BTN and the app suck. Can't get through any of their programming be it directly through channel or app without delays, pixelation or skipping.
Their app does pretty much suck, yep. I got it for early season basketball games. Meant to cancel after the first month of the season, but here I am almost a year later and I still have it and basketball season is looming now, so no point cancelling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT