ADVERTISEMENT

WVU vs OU, UW vs WSU

brgRC90

Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2008
The Big 12 game is off to a Big 12 start, lots of TDs already. Still, its refreshing to see offense.

Washington game is getting dumped on.

Cascade Concrete bowl. Hope they finish up before that stuff sets!

How much are these OC making?
Why can't we just hire the WVU OC as the next HC?

It's not like our offense could get any worse.

Reactions: JRZEER
Ugh don't remind me. That was some of the wettest snow I can remember. I was frozen that game.

Haha.

My wife (gf at the time) went into the bathroom and warmed up her feet under the hand warmer for half the 3rd quarter.

She was about to demand we leave.
Luckily (unluckily??) she warmed up so we stayed for the whole game.

Mike Leech's glorious legacy in college football. Holgerson and Riley are both his former assistants.

They are the HCs though.
Doubt we could hire them away, right?

I'm assuming they also run the offense and call plays.
I don't care.
Hire the "OC" anyway.
Just the experience being part of these offenses is good enough for me.

Or just ask Leech who to hire.
Forget asking old school retired coaches.

It’s a joke the playoff only cares about offense. Maybe the XII has it right. #6 and #13 but have the #129 and 130 defense is if you ask me. Can’t tackle for anything but that doesn’t matter apparently. Joke.

They are the HCs though.
Doubt we could hire them away, right?

I'm assuming they also run the offense and call plays.
I don't care.
Hire the "OC" anyway.
Just the experience being part of these offenses is good enough for me.

Or just ask Leech who to hire.
Forget asking old school retired coaches.
If you hire the OC take this bum of a DC too. Package deal.

These games are wild. So this is what offense looks like when you're not trying to make an outdated system work.

Apple Cup in the snow was fun to watch.......

.......BXII was insane.......... Madden 2018 but with less defense.......

Didn't West Virginia play defense when they were in the Big East ?
Horrible tackling.

Oklahoma can really light up the scoreboard but last night was another example of why I don't see them as a real playoff contender. Zero defense. It's like the Paul Westphal Loyola Marymount teams that constantly chucked up shot after shot and pushed the tempo. As soon as you run into a team with the D and conditioning to slow you down, game over. Alabama or Clemson would likely do that.

Oklahoma can really light up the scoreboard but last night was another example of why I don't see them as a real playoff contender. Zero defense. It's like the Paul Westphal Loyola Marymount teams that constantly chucked up shot after shot and pushed the tempo. As soon as you run into a team with the D and conditioning to slow you down, game over. Alabama or Clemson would likely do that.
Army was so close.

Reactions: JRZEER
It is tougher at the highest level of college football but if anything I think teams get drawn into that style than them getting blown out or anything. Baylor/MSU and OU/UGA come to mind. The B12 team lost both but they were high scoring games and more a B12 type game than some slug fest where they got beaten down.

Alabama is an exception maybe Clemson too but not many teams can play D at such a high level to slow down offenses that can operate at such a high level as well. It's likely that the game goes in the direction of a shootout in more cases. I think OU beat Alabama in one of the BCS bowls a handful of years ago...can't remember which year though.

These games are wild. So this is what offense looks like when you're not trying to make an outdated system work.

It's also what offense looks like when neither team can play defense worth a damn. West Virginia can't tackle, and Oklahoma's secondary is ridiculous.

Scored 96 the last two weeks, and lost both.

Ok so what?
Three games before that:

TCU - scored 47
Texas - scored 42
Baylor -scored 58
Won all 3.

Your turn - list more games of teams scoring 40 and losing?

Guarantee you'll run out games first.

Ok so what?
Three games before that:

TCU - scored 47
Texas - scored 42
Baylor -scored 58
Won all 3.

Your turn - list more games of teams scoring 40 and losing?

Guarantee you'll run out games first.
Tangential question.

Which is a bigger moral victory, if there is such a thing as a moral victory?:

Losing 45-41 to Oklahoma State and then 59-56 to Oklahoma, or losing 24-17 to Indiana and 18-15 to B1G West champion Northwestern.

In other words, is it better to have a strong defense and a terrible offense, or a strong offense and a terrible defense.

The overall season record of the team that went 0-2 in those 2 games is not to be considered.

Tangential question.

Losing 45-41 to Oklahoma State and then 59-56 to Oklahoma, or losing 24-17 to Indiana and 18-15 to B1G West champion Northwestern.

In other words, is it better to have a strong defense and a terrible offense, or a strong offense and a terrible defense.

The overall season record of the team that went 0-2 in those 2 games is not to be considered.

Scoring more points provides more variance to win.

If you only score 20ppg then you have to limit the oppenent to under 20.

If you can score 30ppg you can limit them to under 30.

Look at an entire season, not just one game.

Reactions: MorrisAsh

Fair points, but the last sentence broke the rule.

I think I agree with your premise on scoring.
Take Michigan, who has put up a lot of points (and played out lights out defense) and compare to Michigan State (lights out defense, but no offense). The only game they lost, to Notre Dame, they scored 17 points.

Michigan State is 6-5. The games they won, they scored: 38, 35, 31, 21, 23 and 24.
The games they lost, they scored 13, 19, 7, 6 and 6.

Not sure I get you point.

If you give up 20 points a game, you must score more than 20 to win.

If you give up 30 ppg, you must score more than 30.

Etc. Etc.

Iowa State, which beat West Virginia, scored three points against Iowa. By giving up three, Iowa only needed a touchdown to win. Championships are seldom won in any sport by teams that can't play defense.

Tangential question.

Why would the WVU loss to Oklahoma State qualify as any sort of moral victory when WVU was favored to win the game?

Reactions: Knight Shift
WVU did everything they could to lose that game. Okl has a great offense but probably the worst defense i've ever seen for a top 10 team. They will get killed if they somehow make it to the playoffs.

That Okl QB was fun to watch. The WV qb was overrated. IMO.

Tangential question.

Is it better to have a strong defense and a terrible offense, or a strong offense and a terrible defense.
My answer to that question, as it is to many of life's questions, is "It depends."

In terms of right now, it is clearly better to have the strong offense. If you're going to suck, better to suck interesting than suck boring. Much better fan experience with a 50-37 loss than a 20-7 loss IMO. Easier to sell tickets too.

However, from the perspective of building a program, I'd rather have the strong defense in place, because it is the more difficult to build. To build an offense, the key is to decide on an offensive system, stick to it, and find the right personnel (most importantly the right QB) to fit it. QB is the great equalizer in the college game. If yours is better than theirs, it makes up for them being better than you at multiple positions.

Unfortunately, since we have shown no inclination to stick to an offensive system and build an offense around it, the point is moot. And if the weaker team (generally us) has the inferior QB, the talent gap is magnified further.

Not sure I get you point.

If you give up 20 points a game, you must score more than 20 to win.

If you give up 30 ppg, you must score more than 30.

Etc. Etc.

Iowa State, which beat West Virginia, scored three points against Iowa. By giving up three, Iowa only needed a touchdown to win. Championships are seldom won in any sport by teams that can't play defense.

Since we want to be "Pro Style":

2017 Super Bowl
http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400927752
Patriots 466 passing yards
546 total yards

2018 Super Bowl
http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400999173
Eagles 538 total yards, 374 passing yards
Patriots 613 total yards, 505 passing yards

Favorites for 2019 Super Bowl
Chiefs
Rams
Saints
3 highest scoring teams in the NFL

Since we want to be "Pro Style":

2017 Super Bowl
http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400927752
Patriots 466 passing yards
546 total yards

2018 Super Bowl
http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400999173
Eagles 538 total yards, 374 passing yards
Patriots 613 total yards, 505 passing yards

Favorites for 2019 Super Bowl
Chiefs
Rams
Saints
3 highest scoring teams in the NFL

And the Chiefs just scored 51 points and lost to the Rams. And if they lose Mahomes, they're probably toast. Eagles, meanwhile, have had trouble with keeping QB health and offense steady, still play so-so D, and are now 4-6 in defense of their Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT