ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Yazeed Haynes decommits

Honestly no reason to get upset about this. It will happen to many other schools and just a sign of the times.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Verbal commitments are a joke. Teams hand them out like candy, kids commit and leave whenever.
I have said before if you offer the recruit should be able to commit and sign his letter. It wont be long till every coach just recruits throug the portal. These kids are only screwing themselves.

You gotta just love the comment "respect my decision". The nerve of someone to add that to a decommit post.
Can we respect his decision and disrespect his adding that to his statement. It basically says he thinks so little of Rutgers community that they would show him disrespect for reneging on his "commitment".

He shows us all DISRESPECT for adding that.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Verbal commitments are a joke. Teams hand them out like candy, kids commit and leave whenever.
I have said before if you offer the recruit should be able to commit and sign his letter. It wont be long till every coach just recruits throug the portal. These kids are only screwing themselves.

Let's hope so.

Recruits in 2022 are just taking advantage of what’s been made available to them. If a school like Rutgers can’t keep up on NIL and other inducements then too bad. College FB and BB have been reduced to Pro minor league systems.

I will start to follow other Olympic Sports more closely now. There is not enough revenue available (yet) to corrupt those sports. Anyone who thought NIL wouldn’t create this situation has no imagination.

Reactions: Dpgru
Recruits in 2022 are just taking advantage of what’s been made available to them. If a school like Rutgers can’t keep up on NIL and other inducements then too bad. College FB and BB have been reduced to Pro minor league systems.

I will start to follow other Olympic Sports more closely now. There is not enough revenue available (yet) to corrupt those sports. Anyone who thought NIL wouldn’t create this situation has no imagination.

US Women's Soccer team says hi!

Reactions: RUAldo and RUTBAY1
So 1000% - 100% = 900% committed? Do I have the math right? Can't follow teenage thinking anymore.
I’ll be honest- was working at a job and killing it and they were taking care of me, another company came in and doubled my base and the OTE was pretty easily attainable. I took the new job and gave notice. But then company 3 came in and blew it all away in that time between.
who did I go with…hmmmmmmm

Reactions: newell138

Where you been? College FB and BB have always been the minor league systems to the NFL and NBA. The players are now getting their share of the billions made in FBS and March Madness.

Where you been? College FB and BB have always been the minor league systems to the NFL and NBA. The players are now getting their share of the billions made in FBS and March Madness.
Oh stop! Don’t try to claim that NIL and the transfer portal hasn’t significantly changed the landscape and made money influence that much more of a factor. Individually they make a major impact, together they have made it so that competition for all but the same set of schools will be impossible.

Say goodbye to the days where a school like Rutgers could occasionally have a good season and surprise people. Five years from now, unless something changes, you will see the same top 20 teams year after year and all the others will be effectively if not literally relegated.

That may be ok for some people. For me it takes all the enjoyment out of rooting for my alma mater. The kids are now paid professionals without the same allegiance they would have had in the past. I don’t blame the kids but it also doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Oh stop! Don’t try to claim that NIL and the transfer portal hasn’t significantly changed the landscape and made money influence that much more of a factor. Individually they make a major impact, together they have made it so that competition for all but the same set of schools will be impossible.

Say goodbye to the days where a school like Rutgers could occasionally have a good season and surprise people. Five years from now, unless something changes, you will see the same top 20 teams year after year and all the others will be effectively if not literally relegated.

That may be ok for some people. For me it takes all the enjoyment out of rooting for my alma mater. The kids are now paid professionals without the same allegiance they would have had in the past. I don’t blame the kids but it also doesn’t mean I have to like it.

If they're not students somewhat like we were then I don't care anymore.

Reactions: bac2therac
If they're not students somewhat like we were then I don't care anymore.
What do you mean somewhat ? Once mulchahy committed to schiano most of these guys were never really students. Shea couldn’t get a guy like conover in and guys like riddick flunked out .
Schiano knew you needed “academic support” . Not unc level bad, but you get the idea . He gets it .
Listen if you don’t want to be in this game , fine . Let’s go play UConn’s and Lehigh’s and have kids that would mostly be admitted here . Even then we would be cutting corners …..but oh the BIG money !!

Reactions: tico brown

and one more thing, GET THE HELL OFF OF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!

What do you mean somewhat ? Once mulchahy committed to schiano most of these guys were never really students. Shea couldn’t get a guy like conover in and guys like riddick flunked out .
Schiano knew you needed “academic support” . Not unc level bad, but you get the idea . He gets it .
Listen if you don’t want to be in this game , fine . Let’s go play UConn’s and Lehigh’s and have kids that would mostly be admitted here . Even then we would be cutting corners …..but oh the BIG money !!

I guess the point I'm making is that the NIL-Free Agency is probably my last straw. Yeah I know football players haven't really been students since probably the 1960s or 70s.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Anymore, when I think of recruiting, I have the one legged man in the ass kicking contest motif in my head! Oh joy, it is just in its infancy.

and one more thing, GET THE HELL OFF OF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!
I watch college sports because of it's connection to where I went to school. If I only want to watch the best athletes I'll watch the pros who are following the money and have little or no allegiance to the team (or school) for whom they play. Using that rationale, why would I watch the minor leagues, how many people follow A, AA, or AAA baseball? The level of competition is higher in the real pro leagues.

College football and basketball will be the minor leagues and it will only hurt non-blue bloods like Rutgers, especially our Olympic sports. Lower-level talent will also eventually be hurt once the money disappears and programs reduce budgets accordingly. If you think that is a good thing or it is "progress" then I won't argue with you.

CS Lewis on why protecting the "lawn" sometimes makes sense.

Thomas Sowell wrote a book or two about it as well.

Last edited:
Whatever…commit early…decommit early…recommit…blah blah. I’ll just root for whoever is here in September. It’s crazy these days.
I used to follow recruiting faithfully, knowing almost the entire team roster, who was graduating, what the team would look like going into the next season, where they were from, what high schools they attended, etc. I remember actually clipping recruiting articles from the newspaper and keeping a folder of prospects, commitments, etc.

The fact that I don't even know who this is says a lot about what the state of the recruiting "game" has done to my enthusiasm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT