ADVERTISEMENT

Yeboah vs Gene; who is better for our team this year

Shell21

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2004
So I know Gene might have been hurt and out for the year anyways, but hypothetically who do you think is a better fit for our team this year.

I love playing small ball and the unlimited options are guards and small forwards bring, but I am concerned defensively, especially on the boards and in the paint. I know Gene had his limitations on defense, but he was a solid rebounder and was a physical body inside (not a great individual defender by any means). I am really nervous if any of our bigs get in foul trouble we are toast on D.

On offense, I think no question I'd rather have Yeboah, but defensively Gene. Curious to hear other people's opinions on how to team will/would look with each of them, and which one would you rather have this year only given the growth of our guards.

Reactions: Scangg
In an either/or, I'd probably give the slight edge to Yeboah - though that's based on no on-field performance at this level.

But I don't see it as an either/or between Yeboah/Omoruyi. It was "Yeboah & Omoruyi" vs. "Yeboah only".... in that scenario, I'd take the first option.

We’re a different team now versus last year. We lost Gene but added 3 veteran players in Yeboah, Young, and Doucoure, plus a promising freshman in Mulcahy. Plus our 4 super frosh from last season are now sophs with lots of B1G PT experience.

So it’s not a simple matter of replacing Gene with Kwasi. In the end it looks like a net positive this year, with what we added in experience and scoring firepower, which should lead to more victories over last year.

In answer to your question specifically, I’d say Akwasi is a better fit for what Pike wants to do this year. We no longer have an offense that runs through Gene, and I think for this team, with these players and skill sets they possess, that’s a good thing.

I’ve seen Yeboah play but not nearly enough. From what I’ve seen, we will miss Eugene more because some of what Yeboah provides, we already have. We are potentially thin upfront and Eugene is tougher inside. We also need a vocal leader to step up and replace that as well.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
I agree with Billy that it's not a 1-to-1 correlation between losing EO and gaining Yeboah. We have lots of additions this year, plus expected improvements of the Freshmen (now Sophomore) Four.

The real shame is that we could have had BOTH Omoruyi and Yeboah. Man, that would have been an NCAA team, full stop. But with the roster additions, we may still be able to make it work.

I do, however, share many peoples' concern with the loss of toughness and especially defensive REBOUNDING. EO was our best rebounder, and that's where we will miss him most.

I think Yeboah because he can shoot? I don't know about his post up game but I'd rather take my chances with Harper and Johnson in the low post. I think Harper is going to have a big sophmore year and become a real threat around the hoop. He has better touch than Gene and that allows a guy like Yeboah to not only shoot the 3 ball but also hit the mid range jumper. Gene had a period where his outside shot was falling but when he went cold; he started taking bad shots; too many bad shots.

For our team; we will miss the charges and defense but I think other players will step up. I like Yeboah on offense much better so I give the edge to RU with Yeboah.

Reactions: satnom
Need to see how Yeboah rebounds from 4 against Big Ten competition to say for sure.

Probably in the minority here but I think Doorson is the guy that we are going to miss the most. We are paper thin up front now and Johnson and Doucoure have not proven that they can stay out of foul trouble. Might not be as big of an issue in any other league in the country other than the one we’re in.

This isn’t a sour grapes post...

But I really think for this year’s team...and how it fits with the rest of the players...yeboah is a better fit and going to be the more productive player for what we need this year than a health Eugene would be this year

Other years ...this might not be the case but for Rutgers 2019-2020...think yeboah is a better fit and help the team to more wins than EO

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
Eugene was a parasite that needed to be removed to increase the overall health of the program.

Probably in the minority here but I think Doorson is the guy that we are going to miss the most. We are paper thin up front now and Johnson and Doucoure have not proven that they can stay out of foul trouble. Might not be as big of an issue in any other league in the country other than the one we’re in.
I actually agree and this makes a lot of sense...I think for what we need this year (probably not scoring) Doorson will be the bigger loss for his rebounding and inside presence.

I look forward to watching Yeboah play.

Eugene was an Honorable mention All-B1G and extremely valuable player on the '18-'19 squad that was likely the best Rutgers basketball team in two decades. I believe, as I also wrote when Corey left early, Rutgers will be better this year not because Eugene left, but rather in spite of the fact Eugene left.

I'd take Yeboah, although I echo everyone's concerns that our main area of weakness may be interior defense and rebounding. Yeboah gives us more versatility, better shooting, and imo better leadership than EO. Yeboah guarded bigs from time to time at SB, but B10 bigs may be another story. I think team chemistry will be better with Yeboah. Insofar as the front court concern, if Carter and Duke have good years, and I think they will, our concerns will disappear. I liked EO for the reasons stated above, but I'm excited for the new season.

I’ve seen Yeboah play but not nearly enough. From what I’ve seen, we will miss Eugene more because some of what Yeboah provides, we already have. We are potentially thin upfront and Eugene is tougher inside. We also need a vocal leader to step up and replace that as well.

Agreed.

Yeboah was with Pike for 4 years. He knows his system better than anyone. Perfect plug and play xfer.

Never forget, that guy left AFTER we got Yeboah. It's not hard to figure it out from there.

Reactions: mikefla
So I know Gene might have been hurt and out for the year anyways, but hypothetically who do you think is a better fit for our team this year.

I love playing small ball and the unlimited options are guards and small forwards bring, but I am concerned defensively, especially on the boards and in the paint. I know Gene had his limitations on defense, but he was a solid rebounder and was a physical body inside (not a great individual defender by any means). I am really nervous if any of our bigs get in foul trouble we are toast on D.

On offense, I think no question I'd rather have Yeboah, but defensively Gene. Curious to hear other people's opinions on how to team will/would look with each of them, and which one would you rather have this year only given the growth of our guards.
You will have a clear answer for this question in February and March. Until then its pure speculation.

Let's not forget that Rutgers had it's best season last year in many, many years.

Before Eugene left it would have been almost unanimous that Eugene was the team MVP.

In the games he was not there or was hurt it was CLEAR that we were a shell of the team we were when Eugene was healthy.

I'll argue Eugene's junior year was the best all around year since Douby's junior year.

Yeboah played at Stony Brook. He is a fictional character until we see him play in real games here.

Good news here is that expectations are on him and not the freshman.

In answer to your question specifically, I’d say Akwasi is a better fit for what Pike wants to do this year. We no longer have an offense that runs through Gene, and I think for this team, with these players and skill sets they possess, that’s a good thing.

On the offensive end this what you hold your hat on.

The BIG question I have is the touches Eugene gives up and who takes them and how often do they make them. "Volume shooting". We have no idea what we have here. What we do know is that Geo has not been efficient in his 2 years here. All other players, other than Mathis, deferred to Geo and Eugene. That will have to change.

The BIG question I have is the touches Eugene gives up and who takes them and how often do they make them. "Volume shooting". We have no idea what we have here. What we do know is that Geo has not been efficient in his 2 years here. All other players, other than Mathis, deferred to Geo and Eugene. That will have to change.
It’s a change I’m looking forward to. I love what Gene gave us, but that’s in the past.

Gene gone. Yeb is here. We move on with a guy who is a Pike disciple a good complimentary player and a good soldier. We will be fine.

Reactions: Scarlet83
It’s a change I’m looking forward to. I love what Gene gave us, but that’s in the past.

I 100% get that. I felt the same way when Sanders left. There is no doubt that the ball stuck in Eugene's hands more and more as the season went on.

I would have been very nervous going in to this year worrying about
A. Eugene's knee
B. Eugene role in the offense (think senior year Freeman, that was BAD)

Truth of the matter is if we had Yeboah for three years and he left and we were getting Omoruyi as a grad transfer then everyone would be fixating on Omoruyi's advantages instead of Yeboah's.

One important point is that Yeboah wants to be here, and Omoruyi didn't - and I think that counts for something. In your scenario, that would be reversed.

Didn't read any posts above. The answer is simple. THE PLAYER/GUY that wanted to be here.

Frack gene whomever.

Edit: So Choppin....I just started to scroll up and saw your comment you must have posted as I was typing. That's the Like.

Yeboah was with Pike for 4 years. He knows his system better than anyone. Perfect plug and play xfer.

Never forget, that guy left AFTER we got Yeboah. It's not hard to figure it out from there.

Unless Eugene thinks he has a shot at the next level (as many players do) and he thinks his knee needs time to heal. Since he’s sitting out anyway, he could take advantage by going to a program with more NCAA cache.

Let's not take things out of context.....there are stats and there are analytics involved.

These are the stats....keep in mind Eugene was the primary offensive option in the front court, but in games against similar competition, the question is .....Does Eugene impact the defense of the opponents...??

If the ball moved and Eugene was guarded by a big, the big never left the paint, because he was not a threat to shoot the ball....that impacts the other big (Myles Johnson or Carter or Doorson).

The offense requires ball movement AND requires making an opponents big man, guard a player at the basket AND away from the basket.

There were at least 80 to 100 instances where Eugene caught the ball at the top of the key and his man never left the paint.

We are going up against elite coaching staffs and scouting reports dictate that you ALLOW Eugene to take an open jump shot and to not leave the paint....leaving the paint takes a big away from the basket and away from rebounding.

If this makes sense and you run the exact same offense with Yeboah and he pops out at the top of the key, rest assured, the big or forward defending Yeboah, isn't going to be anchored in the paint.....that defender has to respect Yeboah as a shooter.

Given that Eugene was not a pure shooter or even a respectable shooter, he was 14-45 from 3 point range in 31 games. Keep in mind he started 6 out of 7 from 3 point range in the 1st 2 games.

He was 8 for 38 from 3 in the 29 games.....and if you watch the games, he probably didn't shoot another 60 3 pointers that he was given by the defense. That allows the defense to essentially play 5 vs 4.....you allow the B1G rosters to clog the lane and make life difficult for Myles Johnson AND you make the offense work harder to find a better shot, when Eugene's inability to shoot, negatively impacts the offense.

8 for 38 is 21% from 3 point range....Yeboah's worst year at Stony Brook as the 1st or 2nd scoring option is in the low 30s to 33% range from 3.....AND Yeboah is going to have his shots actually defended, where Eugene's 3s, were essentially left wide open.

If this doesn't make sense to anyone watching basketball or understands how teams scout and choose to defend, not sure what to tell you.

This explanation far outweighs any defense he played, charges taken etc. It is simple and easily fixed, by playing a better perimeter player, at the same height as Eugene.

Yeboah will shoot more 3s, unclog the paint for Myles Johnson and Shaq Carter, which creates 1 on 1 opportunities inside for them to score.

This is not an item as anti Eugene...I projected 8PPG for Eugene at the start of last year, and he promptly started 6 of 7 from 3 and was on fire. But unless he took the shots provided to him, his impact on the lineup hurt RU in 2 spots

A) he was not a capable threat from outside...

B) his unwillingness from 3 allowed teams guarding him to stay in the paint.

65-203 from 3 last year. That is 32%. Let's keep in mind taking 3s isn't the metric we want to watch.....makes are what matters.

I can't be a hypocrite here......I have been saying we need 4 positions on the floor that are threats from 3 to get the needle moved offensively. My analytics had us last year at 145th in the nation in offensive efficiency. That is the offense of a 3-17 B1G team.....HAS TO IMPROVE. It improves with better shooting.

65-203 from 3 last year. That is 32%. Let's keep in mind taking 3s isn't the metric we want to watch.....makes are what matters.

I can't be a hypocrite here......I have been saying we need 4 positions on the floor that are threats from 3 to get the needle moved offensively. My analytics had us last year at 145th in the nation in offensive efficiency. That is the offense of a 3-17 B1G team.....HAS TO IMPROVE. It improves with better shooting.

He's 34% for his career which seems like the better number to use predicting forward. He also had to take (force) a lot of shots last year that he won't need to this year since he won't be the primary option on offense.

In re: the 203 attempts... I'll be surprised if it's more than 125 this year.

You are a hypocrite, which you're aware of. Those analytics and their predicted results are wrong. Maybe rework them.

I like the “idea” of Yeboah’s game and it working better on the offensive end. That said, truth is, who am I to say—never seen Yeboah play.
He played against Rutgers. Many of us at least saw that game.

I 100% get that. I felt the same way when Sanders left. There is no doubt that the ball stuck in Eugene's hands more and more as the season went on.

I would have been very nervous going in to this year worrying about
A. Eugene's knee
B. Eugene role in the offense (think senior year Freeman, that was BAD)
Good take FIG! His knee alone would make me go Yeboah for this season. I wouldn't rely on him making it through the season without reinjuring it.

I really do think if EO stayed he would still want to dominate the ball when this year's team would need him to be the gritty role player rebounder that the offense doesn't run through and that isn't something he would have liked. It would have lead to locker room issues. Eugene is tough on the court but he does seem to pout a bit when things didn't go his way. I think this could have been a real problem. It's hard to go from being the star to taking a back seat. Not everyone is the man Brian Leonard is.

Let's not take things out of context.....there are stats and there are analytics involved.

These are the stats....keep in mind Eugene was the primary offensive option in the front court, but in games against similar competition, the question is .....Does Eugene impact the defense of the opponents...??

If the ball moved and Eugene was guarded by a big, the big never left the paint, because he was not a threat to shoot the ball....that impacts the other big (Myles Johnson or Carter or Doorson).

The offense requires ball movement AND requires making an opponents big man, guard a player at the basket AND away from the basket.

There were at least 80 to 100 instances where Eugene caught the ball at the top of the key and his man never left the paint.

We are going up against elite coaching staffs and scouting reports dictate that you ALLOW Eugene to take an open jump shot and to not leave the paint....leaving the paint takes a big away from the basket and away from rebounding.

If this makes sense and you run the exact same offense with Yeboah and he pops out at the top of the key, rest assured, the big or forward defending Yeboah, isn't going to be anchored in the paint.....that defender has to respect Yeboah as a shooter.

Given that Eugene was not a pure shooter or even a respectable shooter, he was 14-45 from 3 point range in 31 games. Keep in mind he started 6 out of 7 from 3 point range in the 1st 2 games.

He was 8 for 38 from 3 in the 29 games.....and if you watch the games, he probably didn't shoot another 60 3 pointers that he was given by the defense. That allows the defense to essentially play 5 vs 4.....you allow the B1G rosters to clog the lane and make life difficult for Myles Johnson AND you make the offense work harder to find a better shot, when Eugene's inability to shoot, negatively impacts the offense.

8 for 38 is 21% from 3 point range....Yeboah's worst year at Stony Brook as the 1st or 2nd scoring option is in the low 30s to 33% range from 3.....AND Yeboah is going to have his shots actually defended, where Eugene's 3s, were essentially left wide open.

If this doesn't make sense to anyone watching basketball or understands how teams scout and choose to defend, not sure what to tell you.

This explanation far outweighs any defense he played, charges taken etc. It is simple and easily fixed, by playing a better perimeter player, at the same height as Eugene.

Yeboah will shoot more 3s, unclog the paint for Myles Johnson and Shaq Carter, which creates 1 on 1 opportunities inside for them to score.

This is not an item as anti Eugene...I projected 8PPG for Eugene at the start of last year, and he promptly started 6 of 7 from 3 and was on fire. But unless he took the shots provided to him, his impact on the lineup hurt RU in 2 spots

A) he was not a capable threat from outside...

B) his unwillingness from 3 allowed teams guarding him to stay in the paint.
This is an awesome spot on post Hawk. Clogging the lane makes it harder on Myles and Carter but it also prevents the perimeter players from getting into the paint. No EO and Yeboah spacing the floor will give Young Harper Caleb etc lanes to attack the basket. The offense is going to be the best we've seen in a longgg time this season

Reactions: RUChoppin

As has been mentioned several times, his 3P% dipped quite a bit last year after he injured his knee, missed a game, and came back with a brace. (In the 11 games after returning from injury, he was 17/76 for 22%.... while in the first 13+ games until he was injured he was 33/86 for 38%)

Last edited:
He's 34% for his career which seems like the better number to use predicting forward. He also had to take (force) a lot of shots last year that he won't need to this year since he won't be the primary option on offense.

In re: the 203 attempts... I'll be surprised if it's more than 125 this year.

He’ll also face longer and quicker competition. Maybe a wash? Not sure.

All of us are speculating what will and what would have happened. We do know what did happen at Rutgers last year.

Another piece that might help Yeboah's percentage is that he was relied on to shoot so much on his old team that even on off nights be had to keep chucking. He won't need to do that on this team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT