ADVERTISEMENT

Young had 8 assists to 1 turnover

Greene Rice FIG

Hall of Famer
Dec 30, 2005
Lost in the St. Bonnies debacle was 8 assists from Young.

I said before the season, despite reading to the contrary, that Baker was our point guard.

I am not so sure anymore. Young has the ability to break defense down and I think, if in the right frame of mind, can get guys good perimeter looks.

I see a combination on the floor of....
Young Baker Harper Yeboah Johnson being a better half court offensive team. 3 guys who will catch and shoot in Baker Yeboah and Harper.

Young has largely been fine since game 1 when he turned it over a billion times. The free throws were certainly frustrating last game but he played well overall. Not up to some expectations here but still.

I'm surprised young had so many assists. I remember a few OK ones. But for the most part I thought he didn't contribute much on O and looked bad on D. The O doesn't hum when he's got the ball and he didn't look like he was moving with purpose, and when he drove the blinders went on. I'd be interested what others who may have broken down the game tape think. I was just a casual watcher. But I wasn't impressed with young at all.

I'm surprised young had so many assists. I remember a few OK ones. But for the most part I thought he didn't contribute much on O and looked bad on D. The O doesn't hum when he's got the ball and he didn't look like he was moving with purpose, and when he drove the blinders went on. I'd be interested what others who may have broken down the game tape think. I was just a casual watcher. But I wasn't impressed with young at all.
I was surprised he had 8 assists. When the box score was posted I was also surprised to see Caleb had 4 turnovers. I only remember one. I’m tempted to rewatch the game and count those two stats myself.

I was surprised he had 8 assists. When the box score was posted I was also surprised to see Caleb had 4 turnovers. I only remember one. I’m tempted to rewatch the game and count those two stats myself.

dont do it....change batteries in smoke detector, changer your filter(if you have one), get your oil changed and update your will instead

Caleb had a bad game. He passed on some open looks from 3, and missed badly on a couple. If he plays average we win the game. Not pinning the loss on him. Lot's of players didn't play well. The other big question was Myles Johnson. He wasn't much of a factor. They didn't try to get him the ball either.

For some reason this board wants a narrative that Young is bad and Harper is NBA ready. Young played well, except for the abysmal foul shooting, yet reading all these posts from the Bonnie game that he didn’t play that well. SMH and wondering if we were watching the same game.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
I like the assists but a point guard has to be able to shoot FTs, especially one that drives. And not impressed with his outside shot.

Caleb had a bad game. He passed on some open looks from 3, and missed badly on a couple. If he plays average we win the game. Not pinning the loss on him. Lot's of players didn't play well. The other big question was Myles Johnson. He wasn't much of a factor. They didn't try to get him the ball either.

If McConnell didn't get to the line so much in the first half we'd have been down 25 at halftime.

Caleb could have been better, but he had a pretty decent game. Leading scorer with 13, including 8-8 from the foul line, leading rebounder with 6, including 4 offensive boards plus 1 steal, 1 block and 2 assists, with one of those assists being a highlight reel no-look to Myles for the jam (if he did that at home it would have ignited the crowd which would have given the team a huge lift).

For a guy finally given serious floor time (30 minutes), that stat line showed a meaningful contribution toward what could have been a victory if others were equally effective.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Young needs to play starting point guard with Baker at the 2. If we want to run mcconnell in the starting lineup because of his size have mathis come off the bench with Mulchahy.

Young is the only guy who has the quickness to consistently penetrate and that will open things up for guys like Baker and Johnson. I think it is worth a shot while we play some lesser teams and can afford to tinker a little bit before the Gauntlet

Reactions: G- RUnit
Caleb could have been better, but he had a pretty decent game. Leading scorer with 13, including 8-8 from the foul line, leading rebounder with 6, including 4 offensive boards plus 1 steal, 1 block and 2 assists, with one of those assists being a highlight reel no-look to Myles for the jam (if he did that at home it would have ignited the crowd which would have given the team a huge lift).

For a guy finally given serious floor time (30 minutes), that stat line showed a meaningful contribution toward what could have been a victory if others were equally effective.

I get and appreciate all this. Pikiell gives out playing time and he got 30 minutes and there is a reason for that. You can also get a lot out of who didn't play 25+ minutes. Having said that we can't have him turning down open 3 looks or not even looking to catch and shot and expect to be a good offensive team. Yes he got to the line 8 times. By memory 4 of them were on open 3 looks that he took to the basket. 1 of them probably was a charge.

What is an OK assist? Is it an assist that results in two points instead of three points?

What is an OK assist? Is it an assist that results in two points instead of three points?
It's an assist where the assister did something good to put the sorcerer in a good position to score, or made a nice play to get the ball in vs just make a normal pass and then the scorer did the work. Like for example, penetrating and kicking, or working a good angle to get an entry pass to the post VS just passing around the perimeter or making an easy pass to a player that makes a tough shot or a strong individual play.

But you obviously know this. So why are you asking me a question that you know the answer to?

Last edited:
Were Mathis and Young on the floor together much? I can't imagine the ball hums around much there.

It's an assist where the assister did something good to put the sorcerer in a good position to score, or made a nice play to get the ball in vs just make a normal pass and then the scorer did the work. Like for example, penetrating and kicking, or working a good angle to get an entry pass to the post VS just passing around the perimeter or making an easy pass to a player that makes a tough shot or a strong individual play.

But you obviously know this. So why are you asking me a question that you know the answer to?
Because I've never ever heard of, or read a description of, an assist as "OK ones" before.

All assists result in points. I don't get what makes some ok. How are assists graded?

Is it on a likert scale like:

Great
Good
Ok
Bad
Terrible

Reactions: PaKnight
Because I've never ever heard of, or read a description of, an assist as "OK ones" before.

All assists result in points. I don't get what makes some ok. How are assists graded?

Great
Good
Ok
Bad
Terrible
You are insulting me with your intentional obtuseness. It's pretty annoying. And It's really annoying that I have to continue explaining something you obviously know.

But if it makes you happy, here it is again, with even more words: some plays are better than other plays. Whether it's a putout in baseball, or an assist in any sport, or a score. A putout is a putout on the stat sheet. Sometimes it's a bunch of easy fly balls, Sometimes it's robbing someone of a home run with a leap at the fence. Still just 1 putout. Sometimes a player gets an assist just because they were the last person to touch the ball before someone else made a nice play to score. Sometimes they made an amazing no look pass, or a great centering pass for a goal.

From my casual observation of the game, it didn't look like Young played a great game as PG setting up the offense. And while I did see a couple of nice assists where I thought he did a good job setting up the score (nothing amazing), for the most part, I didn't think he ran the offense well and I was surprised he had 8 assists.

Instead of playing games with words, why don't you contribute something that adds to the conversation. I freely admit I'm no expert and that I only casually watch the games. If you disagree with my take, and think Young is doing well as the leader of the O, please add something. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcg88
McConnell gets a lot of love on this board, and I'm not sure it's quite justified yet.

Against the Bonnies, he had 4 TOs and missed a WIDE OPEN three-pointer that actually hit the side of the backboard. I think that's the shot that could have drew us to 67-64. AND HE HIT THE SIDE OF THE BACKBOARD ON A CORNER THREE.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but he has been relatively underwhelming here in the early going (but in fairness, EVERYONE has been underwhelming).

McConnell gets a lot of love on this board, and I'm not sure it's quite justified yet.

Against the Bonnies, he had 4 TOs and missed a WIDE OPEN three-pointer that actually hit the side of the backboard. I think that's the shot that could have drew us to 67-64. AND HE HIT THE SIDE OF THE BACKBOARD ON A CORNER THREE.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but he has been relatively underwhelming here in the early going (but in fairness, EVERYONE has been underwhelming).

That's the problem. Nobody has shined. So either a) the entire team is going through a slump at the same time, or b) the entire team isn't as good as we thought.

Before the Bona game, McConnell hadn't turned it over at all. And he's been good at the line and is also rebounding well.

Great
Good
Ok
Bad
Terrible

Great - McConnell finding Myles Johnson in traffic and him dunking
Good- Making a pass from a slightly contested 3 to an open guy who nails it
OK- passing to a guy who chucks up a contested 24 footer that goes in
Bad- Passing it Shaq Carter 23 feet from the basket and he shoots it and makes it
Terrible---Steph Curry passes up a wide open 3 to pass to a stiff down low who makes a fade away 13 footer.

Reactions: kcg88
If not for McConnell, the score isn’t as close. Young was terrible and missed some key free throws and drove to the hoop out of control. He just takes the ball into a crowd without a play and then if he manages to get fouled, misses the FTs. Calebs shot was under pressure so yeah, he missed badly. Right now our team lacks identity. I realize we have more guys who can shoot but the offense has to go through Geo as far as I’m concerned. This run and gun is not quite there yet. Set up in the half court and go inside out to look for the best shot. We need Geo, Caleb and Harper to rack up points. Myles, Carter and Mathis should be hitting the glass on every possession and when we get a fast break, let Mathis and young fly down the court but not as the regular offense.

You are insulting me with your intentional obtuseness. It's pretty annoying. And It's really annoying that I have to continue explaining something you obviously know.

But if it makes you happy, here it is again, with even more words: some plays are better than other plays. Whether it's a putout in baseball, or an assist in any sport, or a score. A putout is a putout on the stat sheet. Sometimes it's a bunch of easy fly balls, Sometimes it's robbing someone of a home run with a leap at the fence. Still just 1 putout. Sometimes a player gets an assist just because they were the last person to touch the ball before someone else made a nice play to score. Sometimes they made an amazing no look pass, or a great centering pass for a goal.

From my casual observation of the game, it didn't look like Young played a great game as PG setting up the offense. And while I did see a couple of nice assists where I thought he did a good job setting up the score, for the most part, I didn't think he ran the offense well and I was surprised he had 8 assists.

Instead of playing games with words, why don't you contribute something that adds to the conversation. I freely admit I'm no expert and that I only casually watch the games. If you disagree with my take, and think Young is doing well as the leader of the O, please add something. Thank you.

He's Captain passive aggressive. Just ignore him. Used to post good info, now he mostly insults people.

That's the problem. Nobody has shined. So either a) the entire team is going through a slump at the same time, or b) the entire team isn't as good as we thought.

Before the Bona game, McConnell hadn't turned it over at all. And he's been good at the line and is also rebounding well.
McConnell was clearly having issues shooting against the Bonnies beyond the norm. He passed up open looks, and when he shot he did things like hit the side of the backboard. Something was off.

From my casual observation of the game, it didn't look like Young played a great game as PG setting up the offense. And while I did see a couple of nice assists where I thought he did a good job setting up the score (nothing amazing), for the most part, I didn't think he ran the offense well and I was surprised he had 8 assists.

To me an assist has always been an assist. They result in the team scoring. Unti today I've never heard or seen them referred to as ok, or good, or great etc.

Some lead to more exciting scoring but ultimately it's either a made 2FG or a 3FG. Sometimes with an and-1.

At first I thought maybe what you were calling ok weren't actually assists and were scoring opportunities created (SOC). I know differently now.

I really don't know why you are getting so upset. I was just trying to understand your way of thinking about assists.

You never heard anyone refer to an assist as being good or great? Do you converse with other humans about sports?

You never heard anyone refer to an assist as being good or great? Do you converse with other humans about sports?
Nope. The people I'm around at games etc, usually will say "good pass, nice pass, great pass" but they usually say that before the shot is even attempted. I converse with other humans about sports pretty much every day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT