ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Transfer Portal Activity for RU

https://rutgerswire.usatoday.com/20...it-this-weekend-and-schools-showing-interest/

"He said that within five minutes of entering the portal, a Rutgers assistant coach reached out to him. Talk about efficiency."

Oh ya, that famed efficient Rutgers athletic department.
I'm sure nobody from Rutgers contacted him prior to putting his name in the Portal and it was just a coincidence that someone was so quick to contact him.

Can this stop all the "Transfer Portal is the devil. The rich get richer and Rutgers suffers."?
Rutgers literally is tampering with players as well and trying to "destroy" G5 rosters by bringing in transfers.
You got all that from that one-line quote?

You got all that from that one-line quote?
More from that article:

"The Rutgers offer does have certain appeal for the fact that Frazier is from south Jersey. But location isn’t the only factor for Frazier.

“Right now I’m weighing my a lot because like how much growth I feel like I’ve had coming down south,” Frazier said. “But at the end of the day, I’m a Jersey guy. I got a Jersey tattoo. I look forward to breaks from school to go home, see my family for that so so it is appealing, but I’m still open to going anywhere.”

In terms of what he is looking for, he’s looking for fit as well as support. It doesn’t matter, he says, if a program is established or rebuilding. Location doesn’t matter."

More from that article:

"The Rutgers offer does have certain appeal for the fact that Frazier is from south Jersey. But location isn’t the only factor for Frazier.

“Right now I’m weighing my a lot because like how much growth I feel like I’ve had coming down south,” Frazier said. “But at the end of the day, I’m a Jersey guy. I got a Jersey tattoo. I look forward to breaks from school to go home, see my family for that so so it is appealing, but I’m still open to going anywhere.”

In terms of what he is looking for, he’s looking for fit as well as support. It doesn’t matter, he says, if a program is established or rebuilding. Location doesn’t matter."
Sure sounds like he wouldn't mind coming home. I'm guessing he's a pork roll guy, not a Taylor Ham guy based on location.

Obviously Rutgers coaches didn't directly call the player in advance.
That's crazy and not how you effectively tamper.
Tampering occurs through back door intermediaries (HS coaches, family members, etc.)

I would assume Rutgers assistant coaches have to at least get tacit approval from HC Schiano or the OC/DC before contacting someone in the Portal. They don't just have carte blanche to contact anyone.

If Rutgers really did contact him within 5 minutes, then they much have had forewarning he was going to be available and more importantly when he was going to be available officially.
This is like when a player agrees to a contract within 5 minutes of the Free Agent window opening even though Player/Team contact is prohibited.
So they didn’t tamper.

Roster movement so far:

Transfer Portal since Fall Semester 2021:
WR Montero Hunt
QB / DB Peyton Powell
QB Cole Snyder
LB Zukodo Igwenagu
DB Darius Gooden
DB Najee Jones
OL Brendan Bordner
TE Cooper Heisley
DE CJ Onyechi

2021 NFL Draft Declaration:
RB Isiah Pacheco
DL Mike Tverdov
LB Drew Singleton

Last edited:
Bordner was playing earlier in the year but didn't do well. He was passed over.
He was stepped over.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: PaKnight
Man, after seeing how active RU/Schiano has been in both the portal and recruiting — have to wonder if it wasn’t the worst thing in the world to miss a bowl. 😳

Many forumers pointed it out, but didn’t want to believe it. Gotta like that we’ve offered multiple OL portal starters already

"forumers" - C'mon, is that a word too? ; )

Reactions: Ash_Hole
Yes there will be more activity in the Portal for RU both coming and going, Schiano is continuing to re-shape the roster. The process kinda took a covid pause last year, but you can expect to see wholesale movement this year. The staff has to deal with a numbers issue with the 2020 extra year guys as well.
It will be interesting

Weight shouldn't be an issue. Onyechi and Lewis were about 250 for us. He can easily put on 10-15 good pounds between now and September 2022. Stats are great and it seems like he's starting to get some offers.
One of the things that stuck with me talking to Coach Flood in 09…he had said that as strange as it may sound that he wouldn’t have taken our son Kevin at Delaware but couldn’t wait to get him at Rutgers. At the lower level, they just didn’t have the staff or facilities to build up the size and strength he needed but at Rutgers, he did have it.
I always think of that when I see a guy a little undersized at a lower level school.

Can't believe he still has eligibility. What is he like 23 already?
I don’t think so think he’s been playing for Frost since he was a freshman. That plus all the TOs might make it seem like a long time for them lol.

Just took a quick look and yup he’s 21

He was a leading tackler in game against RU:

Had offers from Illinois, Miami, and Syracuse out of high school:

I remember watching that game and saying where the hell did Delaware find this Reeder kid?? He’s great.

And if there’s one position where Schiano can spot gems, it’s LB. Hopefully Colby signs

Obviously Rutgers coaches didn't directly call the player in advance.
That's crazy and not how you effectively tamper.
Tampering occurs through back door intermediaries (HS coaches, family members, etc.)

I would assume Rutgers assistant coaches have to at least get tacit approval from HC Schiano or the OC/DC before contacting someone in the Portal. They don't just have carte blanche to contact anyone.

If Rutgers really did contact him within 5 minutes, then they much have had forewarning he was going to be available and more importantly when he was going to be available officially.
This is like when a player agrees to a contract within 5 minutes of the Free Agent window opening even though Player/Team contact is prohibited.
That’s not tampering. It’s recruiting.

Still no defensive tackle news... Greg really needs one. You can never have enough at this position because it is the one position where you can rotate players in and out of the line up (unlike the offensive line this year). Jimmy Johnson started this trend in the early 90's and won Super Bowls with it.

Still no defensive tackle news... Greg really needs one. You can never have enough at this position because it is the one position where you can rotate players in and out of the line up (unlike the offensive line this year). Jimmy Johnson started this trend in the early 90's and won Super Bowls with it.
We also need a big time pass rushing DE or two. We need to get some consistent pressure from the front 4 so that we don't HAVE to bring extra rushers to get to the QB

Reactions: Danprusa_4
Nice article in the Athletic by Andy Staples about qb recruiting and how coaches seem to be leaning more on the portal than high schoolers. Not that high schoolers don't get recruited but 173 signed with FBS programs in 2017. This year so far 113 are committed to FBS programs with some additional on signing day.

High school kids could leave but a transfers can't leave once they've used that option, at least until graduation. Also says it sort of forces coaches to be a little more honest or players will leave if they hear through the grapevine what else is going on behind the scenes. Also comment from P5 coach who said last year he would recruit maybe a lesser talented qb out of the portal to not have his 4 star starter recruited out of high school looking over his shoulder. Now he's changed strategy and says he's going to recruit the best available qbs out of the portal and let the chips fall where they may. I've said the samee and I agree with that tact for those who worry about GW. No one knows what he'll be, maybe good maybe not. The more options you have the better. Just be up front about it and let it be competition for the job.

Also comments from Rudy Carpenter former ASU qb who trains qbs in AZ now, saying he says it depends on what a player wants for his career. A school with a valuable degree, a crack at an elite program even if it means sitting or playing immediately. He said for himself it's was playing immediately and he says it's the same for most transferring qbs. "They just want to freakin' play" That's exactly the comments I make here repeatedly when so many worry about NIL deals, facilities etc...where we can't compete. No doubt those things are helpful but it doesn't mean you can't get some quality contributors because there's always a balance between limited playing time and even more limited starting positions and all the bells and whistles. Out of high school one might weigh more, out of the portal the other might weigh more. I'd say it's the same for all positions not just qbs. He advises guys in the portal to forget about all the "eye candy" like gear, stadiums, weight room etc...and the depth chart is what mattes and make coaches explain how the depth chart is in the prospects favor. Another comment from an Atlanta base qb coach Quincy Avery, "recruit as many of the best guys as you can and hope somebody sticks"

Reactions: redking
Since Mel Tucker used the portal to great success this past year (and used it A LOT), I'd like to know - where were his transfers from? Were they "under the radar" kids from FCS or G5 programs? Or, was he signing known / successful players from big-name programs? If it was the later, then I give him a ton of credit for his 'recruiting' (I don't know if you call portal-signing that). He must be a master, particularly coming off the dreadful Year 1 he and MSU had. If it was the former, then he's pretty damn good at what was pretty much a brand-new recruiting method (and he had the foresight to know just how important that would be to his program) and I'd like to see Greg & Co. do the same.

Looking at so many conference games where our DL was outsized by the opposing OL where we couldn't stop a run or generate any semblance of a pass rush, I'd love to see some imports there. Great that there's a lot of focus on the OL so maybe we can begin to generate some offense and keep the defense from being worn down. Next would be a couple of skilled WRs who can put enough of a scare into the opposing defenses so that they don't just pack the box.

Since Mel Tucker used the portal to great success this past year (and used it A LOT), I'd like to know - where were his transfers from? Were they "under the radar" kids from FCS or G5 programs? Or, was he signing known / successful players from big-name programs? If it was the later, then I give him a ton of credit for his 'recruiting' (I don't know if you call portal-signing that). He must be a master, particularly coming off the dreadful Year 1 he and MSU had. If it was the former, then he's pretty damn good at what was pretty much a brand-new recruiting method (and he had the foresight to know just how important that would be to his program) and I'd like to see Greg & Co. do the same.
Linked article in September lists the transfers. It's a hit or miss process. Consider that Anthony Russo, who had a nice career at Temple and got the most attention early in the season, was picked up in the portal. Also did not realize he got into some trouble in East Lansing, for a DUI/OWI (BAC 0.140).

20 players
Unless I'm mistaken, only a few had a major impact (Kenneth Walker III, Jarrett Horst, and Quavaris Crouch), but a quick scan of the bios indicate others had minimal or no impact. In the linked article, MSU wanted to improve their defense, however, they still ranked near the bottom of the B1G in defense at 11th (below Rutgers), which was a minimal improvement over the previous year.
But they certainly improved on offense, mostly due to Kenneth Walker III.

Russo’s status with the program remains unclear.
“MSU Athletics is aware of the situation and the matter is being handled internally by the football program,” a Michigan State team spokesman sent in a written statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT