ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Transfer Portal Activity for RU

Looking at so many conference games where our DL was outsized by the opposing OL where we couldn't stop a run or generate any semblance of a pass rush, I'd love to see some imports there. Great that there's a lot of focus on the OL so maybe we can begin to generate some offense and keep the defense from being worn down. Next would be a couple of skilled WRs who can put enough of a scare into the opposing defenses so that they don't just pack the box.

I think our WRs are better than they appear because we did not have the ability to throw the deep ball. With the right QB play, and better OL play, I think we see our WRs blossom.

I expect to see a ton of RPOs next year and our offense is going to take a jump.

Since Mel Tucker used the portal to great success this past year (and used it A LOT), I'd like to know - where were his transfers from? Were they "under the radar" kids from FCS or G5 programs? Or, was he signing known / successful players from big-name programs? If it was the later, then I give him a ton of credit for his 'recruiting' (I don't know if you call portal-signing that). He must be a master, particularly coming off the dreadful Year 1 he and MSU had. If it was the former, then he's pretty damn good at what was pretty much a brand-new recruiting method (and he had the foresight to know just how important that would be to his program) and I'd like to see Greg & Co. do the same.

KS gave the details, but the main contributor was Walker, who was a star at Wake Forest before the transfer. One wonders just how good Wake would have been this year if he had stayed.

I think our WRs are better than they appear because we did not have the ability to throw the deep ball. With the right QB play, and better OL play, I think we see our WRs blossom.

I expect to see a ton of RPOs next year and our offense is going to take a jump.

I realize Vedral's arm will never be mistaken for Dan Marino's, but you could have had a 22 year old Marino taking snaps and the WRs would still not have had the deep ball in play given the OL.

Linked article in September lists the transfers. It's a hit or miss process. Consider that Anthony Russo, who had a nice career at Temple and got the most attention early in the season, was picked up in the portal. Also did not realize he got into some trouble in East Lansing, for a DUI/OWI (BAC 0.140).

20 players
Unless I'm mistaken, only a few had a major impact (Kenneth Walker III, Jarrett Horst, and Quavaris Crouch), but a quick scan of the bios indicate others had minimal or no impact. In the linked article, MSU wanted to improve their defense, however, they still ranked near the bottom of the B1G in defense at 11th (below Rutgers), which was a minimal improvement over the previous year.
But they certainly improved on offense, mostly due to Kenneth Walker III.

Russo’s status with the program remains unclear.
“MSU Athletics is aware of the situation and the matter is being handled internally by the football program,” a Michigan State team spokesman sent in a written statement.

@KS - Thank you for that rather thorough (and well-researched) reply. You've made me think hard about how much better I could do before responding to posts on this board!

As you (and @mdk) mentioned, only a few of the players wound up making a big splash - and, at that, mostly on offense even though Defense was, and still is, an area of concern. But, it just goes to show ya' (and our coaching staff): bring in a couple of offensive superstars, and that can win you a helluva' lot more games, change the perception of your program, and get you a 10 year/~$100 million extension.

My thesis remains: bringing in starters from P5 programs can have IMMEDIATE (and significant) impacts on your program.

I realize Vedral's arm will never be mistaken for Dan Marino's, but you could have had a 22 year old Marino taking snaps and the WRs would still not have had the deep ball in play given the OL.
3 step drop and throw a vertical fade route. Teams played us man press free. deep routes were there but we could not stretch the field to make teams back off from stopping the run.

@KS - Thank you for that rather thorough (and well-researched) reply. You've made me think hard about how much better I could do before responding to posts on this board!

As you (and @mdk) mentioned, only a few of the players wound up making a big splash - and, at that, mostly on offense, even though Defense was, and still is, an area of concern. But, it just goes to show ya' (and our coaching staff): bring in some offensive superstars, and that can win you a lot of games, change the entire perception of your program, and get you a 10 year/nearly $100 million extension.

I think it also shows how bringing in starters from P5 programs can have IMMEDIATE (and significant) impacts on your program.
I was actually surprised after reading the article. Like any other media narrative (being careful to stick to football), the media made an awful lot about Tucker's 20 transfers and the impact they made, when in reality, it seems to be only a handful. Will others pan out next year (if still around)? Maybe, maybe not. What I find most shocking is that QB Russo did not see the field, and it may be because of his legal trouble.
Still not sure if we had a Kenneth Walker III, we would have been significantly better with our OL (no, I am not saying our RBs are as good as KWIII).
As others have noted, we need help on both lines, and it never hurts to add better skill players.

Reactions: BeantownKnight

I agree. We have seen very little true RPO with Vedral. I still think many of the calls are predetermined and there are very little reads and many of those reads are of the RUN/RUN (RB or QB) variety not RUN/PASS.
When given the opportunity to throw, I don't think he sees the field very well. There are multiple times that the TE or underneath route is open and he does not see them. But don't want to beat up on Vedral too much considering he did not always have the cleanest pocket.

I was actually surprised after reading the article. Like any other media narrative (being careful to stick to football), the media made an awful lot about Tucker's 20 transfers and the impact they made, when in reality, it seems to be only a handful. Will others pan out next year (if still around)? Maybe, maybe not. What I find most shocking is that QB Russo did not see the field, and it may be because of his legal trouble.
Still not sure if we had a Kenneth Walker III, we would have been significantly better with our OL (no, I am not saying our RBs are as good as KWIII).
As others have noted, we need help on both lines, and it never hurts to add better skill players.
Well that goes with the theme I mentioned. Try to get as many good players as you can and see what sticks. The more options you have the better.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Well that goes with the theme I mentioned. Try to get as many good players as you can and see what sticks. The more options you have the better.
But on defense you could say Tucker failed at his mission (glass houses and all) to improve the defense. On offense, he hit a home run, and last time I checked, scoring as many points as possible is a good formula for winning football games.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I agree. We have seen very little true RPO with Vedral. I still think many of the calls are predetermined and there are very little reads and many of those reads are of the RUN/RUN (RB or QB) variety not RUN/PASS.
When given the opportunity to throw, I don't think he sees the field very well. There are multiple times that the TE or underneath route is open and he does not see them. But don't want to beat up on Vedral too much considering he did not always have the cleanest pocket.
When getting interior penetration it is really hard to see the middle of the field, especially when NV does not have the strongest arm. This is why we saw stuff attacking the edges, slips, rolling out and attacking levels, screens etc. Unfortunately deep outs, vertical balls, corners were not balls we could throw.

This is such a misnomer it's not funny.

There were plenty of opportunities where Vedral had more than enough time in the pocket, he just didn't have the arm to go deep, plus he was very hesitant in going through his reads, and when he did make a choice often it was too late.

Reactions: RU_DIO and BossNJ
I assumed all of the 5th years were moving on from college football this year anyway, so the only surprise is they're looking for a 6th year somewhere else

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wow that was a quick exit from OSU after coming early for the NIL. Main reason I post this is because TT is actually in the mix for a former #1 overall qb through the portal. Point being you never know who could be realistic get from the portal. They may not get him but being in the running means they have a chance.

Nice article in the Athletic by Andy Staples about qb recruiting and how coaches seem to be leaning more on the portal than high schoolers. Not that high schoolers don't get recruited but 173 signed with FBS programs in 2017. This year so far 113 are committed to FBS programs with some additional on signing day.

High school kids could leave but a transfers can't leave once they've used that option, at least until graduation. Also says it sort of forces coaches to be a little more honest or players will leave if they hear through the grapevine what else is going on behind the scenes. Also comment from P5 coach who said last year he would recruit maybe a lesser talented qb out of the portal to not have his 4 star starter recruited out of high school looking over his shoulder. Now he's changed strategy and says he's going to recruit the best available qbs out of the portal and let the chips fall where they may. I've said the samee and I agree with that tact for those who worry about GW. No one knows what he'll be, maybe good maybe not. The more options you have the better. Just be up front about it and let it be competition for the job.

Also comments from Rudy Carpenter former ASU qb who trains qbs in AZ now, saying he says it depends on what a player wants for his career. A school with a valuable degree, a crack at an elite program even if it means sitting or playing immediately. He said for himself it's was playing immediately and he says it's the same for most transferring qbs. "They just want to freakin' play" That's exactly the comments I make here repeatedly when so many worry about NIL deals, facilities etc...where we can't compete. No doubt those things are helpful but it doesn't mean you can't get some quality contributors because there's always a balance between limited playing time and even more limited starting positions and all the bells and whistles. Out of high school one might weigh more, out of the portal the other might weigh more. I'd say it's the same for all positions not just qbs. He advises guys in the portal to forget about all the "eye candy" like gear, stadiums, weight room etc...and the depth chart is what mattes and make coaches explain how the depth chart is in the prospects favor. Another comment from an Atlanta base qb coach Quincy Avery, "recruit as many of the best guys as you can and hope somebody sticks"
There are also less signing because more kids are using their free year

I disagree. There were times where Vedral was holding onto the ball too long and throws where the receivers had to slow down to catch the ball. Marino was a QB who got rid of the ball quickly and was very difficult to sack. There is no doubt that opposing LB's safeties would play back and more running lanes would be open if we had that type of talent at the QB position.

Reactions: jtung230
I disagree. There were times where Vedral was holding onto the ball too long and throws where the receivers had to slow down to catch the ball. Marino was a QB who got rid of the ball quickly and was very difficult to sack. There is no doubt that opposing LB's safeties would play back and more running lanes would be open if we had that type of talent at the QB position.
If you don’t have a cannon for an arm, it has to be on time. Mr. Moxy and Hart did a good job with that.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT