ADVERTISEMENT

Carino on Twitter

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Overheard at the RAC, don't shoot the messenger: "Seton Hall will be seeing Pikiell twice a year when UConn rejoins the Big East and hires him."

We better make it hard for anyone to take him.

can't worry about this right now and not worth worrying about it...it is out of our control. But I think he might be a guy who will want to stay in one spot and build a legacy and program. If he was a younger coach, I could see him moving on, but I think he wants to build roots here and build a winning tradition here

Reactions: ruready07
Must have been a Hall fan talking to Carino, since if UConn joins the BE they will have to drop the football program to D1AA level, since the AAC will not allow them to keep football in conference, if they remove the bball teams.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
You know how many things were said at the RAC yesterday? Somehow a pissed off SHU fan blurts something out based on what he wants because he hates us, and all of a sudden massive coaching changes are happening. Please.

Must have been a Hall fan talking to Carino, since if UConn joins the BE they will have to drop the football program to D1AA level, since the AAC will not allow them to keep football in conference, if they remove the bball teams.
agree

can't worry about this right now and not worth worrying about it...it is out of our control. But I think he might be a guy who will want to stay in one spot and build a legacy and program. If he was a younger coach, I could see him moving on, but I think he wants to build roots here and build a winning tradition here
He likes building programs. I don't think he'll leave Rutgers before making the NCAAs but after that, I can definitely imagine him moving on to the next project.

If that happens I'd be fine with it. He would have cemented his legacy and Rutgers would no longer be considered a coaching graveyard.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I can't see that happening. UConn is a program on the way down and won't have the money to be able to afford a major hire. Remember, they're also paying Geno and his is the one UConn that is unlikely to be affected by being in a lower ranked conference. The UConn men are now playing before crowds of 3-4000 at Gempel. And I can't see them abandoning a football program into which they've pumped so much money, built a new stadium, etc. Going down to 1-AA will make football an even bigger money loser than it is right now. Who will they play? Maine? Holy Cross? URI? I just can't see that happening. UConn is too proud an institution and basketball doesn't drive the bus. They need to wait for an opening in the ACC.

Besides, today's BE is primarily a Midwest conference. It doesn't have the geography of the original BE.

I think Pike will want to stay and win B1G championships here.

funny--I said something similar yesterday--that there would be talk of him leaving--not to uconn but to a real major sports driven college--but I believe hobbs can prevent that--"anyhow" this all BS talk

I can't see that happening. UConn is a program on the way down and won't have the money to be able to afford a major hire. Remember, they're also paying Geno and his is the one UConn that is unlikely to be affected by being in a lower ranked conference. The UConn men are now playing before crowds of 3-4000 at Gempel. And I can't see them abandoning a football program into which they've pumped so much money, built a new stadium, etc. Going down to 1-AA will make football an even bigger money loser than it is right now. Who will they play? Maine? Holy Cross? URI? I just can't see that happening. UConn is too proud an institution and basketball doesn't drive the bus. They need to wait for an opening in the ACC.

Besides, today's BE is primarily a Midwest conference. It doesn't have the geography of the original BE.

I think Pike will want to stay and win B1G championships here.
I happen to agree . UCONN football will not be downgraded unless the state of Ct. is willing to accept a significant loss in revenue. And mens basketball is slowly losing its cache after Calhoun retired. Nothing like playing in the Big Ten in a major metropolitan area where Pikiell will be crowned a saviour....

Reactions: 67scarlet
even carino refuted comment---
Jerry Carino‏@NJHoopsHaven 22h22 hours ago

Jerry Carino Retweeted Jerry Carino

It's just shtick. The point is: Pikiell did a lot to enhance his already good reputation today. Won't hurt on the recruiting trail either.

Jerry Carino added,

Jerry Carino@NJHoopsHaven
Overheard at the RAC, don't shoot the messenger: "Seton Hall will be seeing Pikiell twice a year when UConn rejoins the Big East and hires him."
7 replies 1 retweet 7 likes

It's a non starter folks....to even have S HU
fans mentioning this means they understand what is happening and it's the only tangible way to rationalize what's coming....if Pike stays the next 4-5 years, RU would have a full revenue share and a full RAC....both items make Pike a very wealthy coach with a well heeled staff....RU is now a legitimate factor in the minds of SHU....

I have no problem with someone saying our coach is going to be attractive to other programs. The implications of the rest of it are totally irrelevant at the moment.

Reactions: vascosg
If somebody came and threw Pikel a boatload. I wouldnt mind Brandon Knight taking over. I can see him being a succesful coach

Reactions: LC-88
Coach loves it at RU. He loves being in the BIG 10 and that the new practice facility will be opening in 19 months. He also knows that we will be getting full funding from the BIG in just over 3 more years. I sat with him again today for a few hours. Trust me he is not going anywhere for a while. He has told me several times how much he loves it at RU. A few Seton Hall fans keep bring this idea up on their forum just to stir things up. They know we finally have an excellent coach and they are worried about us putting them in our rear view window.

If Pikel leaves it's because he was highly successful at Rutgers (meaning NCAA tourney). I'd hate to lose the guy but I'd shake his hand as he left and thank him for the best stretch of RU basketball in 40 years, then happily roll the dice with a new coaching search fueled by real B1G money.

UConn to BE is too big an if.

Here's one for you - with Mike Hopkins out of the picture a Syracuse, and say Boeheim has 3 more years.....

With virtually every talking head saying our coach was really changing things at RU BEFORE the upset, it is hardly surprising that anyone not think this would be a springboard for him to an even higher job.
But, that game is over and he still has a hell of a job ahead of him to get the program where everyone wants it to be. Every program is only one WTF game away from negativity. Keep in mind that just two years ago we knocked out the #4 school and how did that really change things?
UCONN is really just another program after the glory years of Calhoun. If you look at their record you will see them struggling against programs that they would have crushed years ago. The only great BB being played there now is by the women. I could care less where they end up.
Right now, their BB program is starting to look their football program and that is not a good thing. If I were the ACC, I would see no value in bringing them in.

We better make it hard for anyone to take him.
Jerry’s a good guy but he has to know that tweeting that moments after that game was really going to piss off the Rutgers fan base. Repeating a comment made by a bitter Seton Hall fan or a snarky sportswriter (is there any other kind?) based on no reporting was just a douche move and his little disclaimer was useless. The disclaimer explained exactly why it shouldn’t have been tweeted in the first place. In the end, it’s not really a big deal but maybe Jerry does wear blue underwear after all!!

who cares what Seton Hall fans.....the look on their faces in the final few minutes said it all
I particularly enjoyed the two in the student section with the blue Smurf Santa hats. You sit there looking like that and your team better win!

Anyone who thinks this forgets that Rutgers is not in the AAC anymore or even the Big East (sorry SHU) ... in the B1G, brand-spanking new practice facility, crazy arena atmosphere .. RU is a destination now, not a stepping stone like it would have been in the old days. Big Ten !

6-10 years ago you would never have believed it, but today, Rutgers is a better job than UConn. UConn is bleeding out and dying a slow death right now.

I can't find the Big East revenue figures per school, but in 2015-16, UConn received $10,523,469 from the AAC. However, that was because the old Big East members were still receiving departure fees from the old members. That same year, Central Florida only received $3.5mm.

So what is UConn going to get when the exit fees dry up? $4mm? Is that so much better than the Big East that it justifies the expense of a football team? UConn pays mens and women's bball coaches more than Rockin Randy so they are losing $ either way.

I guess it turns on what UConn sees as the future of conference realignment. Is there going to be one more round when the next B1G contract is up for negotiations which will result with UConn getting a seat at the table? If that happens, then the continued investment in football is justified. If not, then I guess they figure the Big East will always be there.

PZMY7l.gif

Trivia - I do not know the answer but let me ask this question - who was the last Big Ten coach to leave on his own for a "better" job?

Several B1G coaches have been fired recently (Indiana, Illinois, etc.) and you had Bo retire at Wisconsin and Williams at Maryland and Izzo will at MSU but I can't think of anyone that left on his own. Please enlighten me....I would like to know that answer.

Trivia - I do not know the answer but let me ask this question - who was the last Big Ten coach to leave on his own for a "better" job?

Several B1G coaches have been fired recently (Indiana, Illinois, etc.) and you had Bo retire at Wisconsin and Williams at Maryland and Izzo will at MSU but I can't think of anyone that left on his own. Please enlighten me....I would like to know that answer.
Seriously, I know UConn has a way better history (in that it is almost impossible to compare what they have done vs what RU has done), but I have a hard time imagining leaving RU for UConn now.

Reactions: shields
Much, much more likely SHU is looking for a new coach in the next couple of years than RU. No chance a coach is leaving the Big 10 for Uconn. None.

That's a very good question. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of is Bill Self, Illinois to Kansas.

I recall Ed DeChellis leaving Penn State in 2011 for the Navy job right after he took Penn State to the NCAA tournament. And I believe he is a Penn State grad. That's crazy but he did leave on his own to go to Navy.
There has to be some coach after 2011 that left to take a better job.

6-10 years ago you would never have believed it, but today, Rutgers is a better job than UConn. UConn is bleeding out and dying a slow death right now.
Yep. And I don't see the BE offering them because of the Catholic/Christian theme of the conference. I think UConn, or any public university, would be an outlier.

Thanks RUPete and RURM85 - I think that could be the answer - clearly Self had an upgrade in job from the Illini to Kansas - (If Self ever leaves then I would think Turgeon could be a candidate there) - I guess Kansas could be one of the only programs in the country where the B1G feeds them coaches.

I think DeChellis knew he was in trouble because he was losing a lot of seniors from his NCAA tourney team and he must have been told that he better get his resume ready and get out of town. Hard to believe a coach would go from Penn State to Navy willingly but clearly there is much less pressure at the Naval Academy for hoops (versus football for example).

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks this forgets that Rutgers is not in the AAC anymore or even the Big East (sorry SHU) ... in the B1G, brand-spanking new practice facility, crazy arena atmosphere .. RU is a destination now, not a stepping stone like it would have been in the old days. Big Ten !

Totally agree. Why DOWNGRADE to a Big East school. Pike can be a coach in the best conference with a crazy atmosphere, new facilities, and mega media coverage. And within 3 years mega money from the BIG TEN to pay him and his staff even more.

Bill Self left Illinois for Kansas.

No point in commenting about that at this moment. Pikiell is going to be paid very handsomely here at Rutgers. No need to leave.

You never know what someone will do when their heart needs to be taken into account. And that is what happens when your alma mater comes calling.

But objectively, at this point the college sports continuum, Uconn is not the job that it once was, and isn't the job that Rutgers soon will be under Pike's leadership.

Uconn has history.

Rutgers has a better conference, soon to be peer level facilities, more exposure.

The wild card is money. Uconn has some donor bucks and with football fading into bad experiment territory, they are likely to go all in on basketball from support level.

But either way, Rutgers wins. Either Pike's stays and continues his building and winning, or he built it and won enough to the point that he is that attractive to other programs.

At that point, the only thing that matters is the next hire, which might be already sitting next to him in Karl Hobbs.

You never know what someone will do when their heart needs to be taken into account. And that is what happens when your alma mater comes calling.

But objectively, at this point the college sports continuum, Uconn is not the job that it once was, and isn't the job that Rutgers soon will be under Pike's leadership.

Uconn has history.

Rutgers has a better conference, soon to be peer level facilities, more exposure.

The wild card is money. Uconn has some donor bucks and with football fading into bad experiment territory, they are likely to go all in on basketball from support level.

But either way, Rutgers wins. Either Pike's stays and continues his building and winning, or he built it and won enough to the point that he is that attractive to other programs.

At that point, the only thing that matters is the next hire, which might be already sitting next to him in Karl Hobbs.

Good post. Win-win for us. Pikiell is going to continue the upward trajectory of the program, making him a target at some point for a bigger name program, with a lot more money, in all likelihood (not so sure UConn is our worst fear here, although hard to factor in the alma mater angle).

When that happens, that means we're a much better program and will simply need to either pony up the $$ to keep him or use that $$ to hire a top coach. There's simply no way he's not going to start getting offers, though, likely as soon as at the end of this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT