ADVERTISEMENT

Finish needed for NIT

Per another thread where I asked bac, at least 3-3 and 4-2 will definitely do it.
I was looking closer, based on his response, and I think we need to beat Maryland and Ohio State as part of that 3 (as losing to either will have them over us, unless of course we win at Purdue. So MD, osu, and at least 1 more victory.)
Big Ten likely 6 to ncaa and how many to NIT? Iowa and Minny def over us so far for NIT.
Fyi: we are almost on a collision course to play Iowa or minny in first game of big ten tourney. We are underdogs in either.
Let’s go 4-2 and make the NIT!

Reactions: RU MAN
the NET sagging at 90 is a MAJOR CONCERN

Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State will all be picked ahead of Rutgers

power 6 top 2 are guaranteed spots......12 there..throw in those other 2 big 10 thats 14

its likely the Ivy runner up goes....15

Gonz/San Fran will go if the former doesnt make it....17

SMU/USF/Memp, at least 2 will go....19

Rich/VCU will be 2 from A10....21

Missouri Valley runnerup will go...22

Xav in BE is a possible 23

Pitt/Miami/NC State/Cuse an additonal ACC maybe 3 of 4 ....26

throw in an additional small school or 2....28

realistically about 4-5 spots but RU if they get to 17-14 should be in the 80s in NET at worst and be selected.

power 6 top 2 are guaranteed spots......12 there..throw in those other 2 big 10 thats 14

realistically about 4-5 spots but RU if they get to 17-14 should be in the 80s in NET at worst and be selected.
Thanks again bac.
So 3-3 = should be in
4-2 def in
If we beat MD (and thus sweep them) doesn’t seem logical for them to get in over us with worse conference record (8-10) and same or worse overall record.
Osu. If we beat them they likely finish 2 games behind us in conference. Season split. Same overall record. Sucks that they’d get picked over us.

Anybody who comes to this thread and says, why do we care about the NIT…. Not invited tournament is stupid…. Such a waste…..I won’t attend, etc etc blah blah blah…..
Why do you even open this thread? Why post in it?

I'm still annoyed I missed the end of the NIT game last year because my recording shut off.
100% would be interested in NIT if we made it. More interested than the NCAA tournament likely.

Then again, I went to the semi/finals at MSG in 2004 as a student.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

The BIG tourney games factor into the NET too right? So those games would matter for NIT?

Anybody who comes to this thread and says, why do we care about the NIT…. Not invited tournament is stupid…. Such a waste…..I won’t attend, etc etc blah blah blah…..
Ok 😂😂😂😂

To express a valid viewpoint, that the NIT could very well be a waste of time and energy.
History has proven this tournament has been a negative exercise for Rutgers.
I promise you the Michigan board is not nor have they ever had embarrassing threads about how great it would be to play our way into the NIT
It’s loser mentality. I promise you JWill Mag and Cliff are not up at night trying to figure out how to play into the NIT, and it’s nothing like a minor bowl game zero correlation.

Last edited:
Bigger deal this year with young team
I have great respect for your post and analysis, I respect your opinion on how you think it would be good for this year’s squad.
IMO I disagree
I have some resentment as a long time fan we are in this position.
Again I respect your analysis and you are probably correct on your assessments, as you usually are.
No disrespect to you from me.

I have great respect for your post and analysis, I respect your opinion on how you think it would be good for this year’s squad.
IMO I disagree
I have some resentment as a long time fan we are in this position.
Again I respect your analysis and you are probably correct on your assessments, as you usually are.
No disrespect to you from me.
Last year they didnt want be there after 96% of bracketology had them in

Wisconsin made nit finals last year and now are on the 4-5 line

You better believe to provide leadership to new guys next year....its big for derek gavin jmike jwill and mag

You better believe to provide leadership to new guys next year....its big for derek gavin jmike jwill and mag
I don’t believe, it’s a completely different team everyone will have a different role
You are looking at potentially having 3 new starters next year.
I could make a strong argument JWill and Mag would be better served not playing Mag coming off injury JWill playing a lot all of the sudden,
If Cliff comes back playing extra games does him no good. He needs to watch film and work on his bball I Q
We also have a portal season to go through
The preseason summer games did nothing for this team.
Again you are entitled to your opinion. As am I

Reactions: Plum Street

You better believe to provide leadership to new guys next year....it’s big for derek gavin jmike jwill and mag
If Rutgers is on the 3-5 line next year that would be a huge disappointment.
75% of the reason they should be on the 1-2 line next year aren’t on the roster this year

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
To express a valid viewpoint, that the NIT could very well be a waste of time and energy.
History has proven this tournament has been a negative exercise for Rutgers.
I promise you the Michigan board is not nor have they ever had embarrassing threads about how great it would be to play our way into the NIT
It’s loser mentality. I promise you JWill Mag and Cliff are not up at night trying to figure out how to play into the NIT, and it’s nothing like a minor bowl game zero correlation.
Is it a valid viewpoint when the OP asks “What do we need to do to finish out and get an NIT bid?”
If the thread was do you care or does the team care about making the NIT, then yeah, valid viewpoint.

I don’t believe, it’s a completely different team everyone will have a different role
You are looking at potentially having 3 new starters next year.
I could make a strong argument JWill and Mag would be better served not playing Mag coming off injury JWill playing a lot all of the sudden,
If Cliff comes back playing extra games does him no good. He needs to watch film and work on his bball I Q
We also have a portal season to go through
The preseason summer games did nothing for this team.
Again you are entitled to your opinion. As am I

These are 18 year old kids who never played college hoops...you better believe that upperclassmen will teach them things

75% of the reason they should be on the 1-2 line next year aren’t on the roster this year

Wrong..3-5 line would be incredibly successful...in fact I would sign on the dot right now for a 4

Your expectations are absurdly out of wack

Anyway....

Here's a link to someone who does NIT bracketology. They had us in the field as of a couple days ago.

We're one 1 of 5 B1G schools in... I mean it'll favor us obviously, but in concept I hate that the new selection process seems to be shutting out the little guys for the most part.

https://www.nitbracketology.com/2024/02/nit-bracketology-feb-19.html?m=1

I think our two freshmen would be disappointed if we didn’t make the elite 8 next year
As would I and a lot of fans on this board
1 and done sweet 16 that would be a huge disappointment
Anything can happen in the Tournament (see Purdue, Virginia, Kentucky, etc.). NOT going to the Tournament next year would be a huge disappointment. I would sign up for the Sweet 16 with anything beyond that being gravy. That’s a realistic outlook.

Yeah but i dont expect much movement with teams all in the same range playing each other in a neutral court

Iowa only went up 5 by beating #20 Michigan State on road
Right - for game 1. But hypothetically - winning 2 games in the tournament could matter for any of these teams relative to each other? A second win would be against Purdue or Illinois.

3-5 is a lot more realistic than 1-2 line. Not even sure if they will be a 3-5, could also fall in 5-7 range. They could easily hit bumps in the road next year, then hit their stride as season progresses and possibly finish at 3-5. I would be happy with a seed in that range. Look at USC this year, throwing heralded freshman together with others has not panned out for them. It’s not always as easy as it looks. If someone offered me a 3 seed right now, I would take it in a heartbeat.

I welcome the NIT this year. When you consider the late transfers of Cam and Paul, the start they had to the season and where they were at pre JWill, not having JWill for 20 games, sitting at a record of 10-10 at one point……..then, Yes, I welcome the NIT when I consider this team has climbed out of a dumpster fire just to even be in the conversation for postseason play. I recall reading posts predicting we would win 3-5 conference games. Who knows, we may end up with 9 or 10 at this point. Postseason is good experience for JWill, Simpson, JMike, Gavin…….it can’t hurt, all of us would obviously prefer the NCAA tourney, but when you consider how down bad this team was, I’ll take the NIT at this point. In all honesty, if this team finishes 18-13, or 17-14 and goes to NIT, that’s a good finish when you think back on where they were……10-10, 3 straight losses, the last of which was to PSU at home scoring 46 points?!?!?!?! I welcome the NIT at this point when I look back at those first 20 games.

blinking trailer park boys GIF

It’s going to be a very young team next year. Some of you better brace yourselves for a dose of reality.
Agreed, there will be bumps in the road along the way, hoping we have experienced guys (like the JWill find in portal, previously Cam) to pair with the young guys to help right the ship. Of course everyone wants a high seed next year, I am going with different expectations, I just want to get in the tourney and could care less about seeding. Do I realistically think they should be better than a 9-11 seed? Yes, of course, but I am not going into next year by getting my hopes up too high and not enjoying the season. I would take a 6 seed, let’s just enjoy the season, make the dance and see what happens. If the expectation is they must be a 1-3 seed or it’s a failure, then we are setting ourselves up for a whole lot of room for failure next year.

The goal this year is finish .500. I’m waiting til we achieve that before even thinking about NIT.

We will be an underdog or pickem in 4 of the last 5 games. The math says we should pick up 2 wins and get there. 1 and 3 wins also fairly normal outcomes.

Reactions: darkcheck
After last year's NIT game I would be far less interested. Then when we're announced I'd do what I always do and support the team and get excited for the hope and chance they play well. Post season experience is not a bad thing.

PS: I think Michigan has the NIT Champ banner hanging for the year they beat us in the Final...not to mention I'm sure happy to be us this year than Slappy U.

FWIW I think we finish 3-2 last 5 to go into B1G 9-11/17-14. How we play that 1st B1G Tourney game determines how we play in NIT. Win Game 1 go 1-1 to finish 18/15 we can go another 1 and 1 to get to 19-16. Getting 2 wins to get to 20-16 would frankly be great. Go see how many 20 win seasons we've had last 25.

Last edited:
Stand by my statement, not only from a standpoint of the context of this board but others looking at the program. If Pike doesn’t make hay with these 1 and doners Rutgers will be forever having years like they are having.
Are our 2 freshmen closer to the Koble types or the freshmen bust?
If those 2 are truly 1 and done and we are not competing for a BIG 10 title there is little point in having a rooting interest in this program moving forward. To many other things to do. Any momentum from this recruiting class would be wasted. A blip on the screen.

Last edited:
Stand by my statement, not only from a standpoint of the context of this board but others looking at the program. If Pike doesn’t make hay with these 1 and doners Rutgers will be forever having years like they are having.
Are our 2 freshmen closer to the Koble types or the freshmen bust.
If those 2 are truly 1 and done and we are not competing for a BIG 10 title there is little point in having a rooting interest in this program moving forward. To many other things to do. Any momentum from this recruiting class would be wasted. A blip on the screen.
Enjoy your new pastime!!

Reactions: RUonBrain
After last year's NIT game I would be far less interested. Then when we're announced I'd do what I always do and support the team and get excited for the hope and chance they play well. Post season experience is not a bad thing.

PS: I think Michigan has the NIT Champ banner hanging for the year they beat us in the Final...not to mention I'm sure happy to be us this year than Slappy U.

FWIW I think we finish 3-2 last 5 to go into B1G 9-11/17-14. How we play that 1st B1G Tourney game determines how we play in NIT. Win Game 1 go 1-1 to finish 18/15 we can go another 1 and 1 to get to 19-16. Getting 2 wins to get to 20-16 would frankly be great. Go see how many 20 win seasons we've had last 25.
Wisconsin made a nice little run in the NIT reaching the championship game last year....they built off of that and now are on the 4-5 seed line. I just think this particular team with who is coming back next year can get alot of benefit from the NIT

Wisconsin made a nice little run in the NIT reaching the championship game last year....they built off of that and now are on the 4-5 seed line. I just think this particular team with who is coming back next year can get alot of benefit from the NIT
Wisconsin’s NIT extra games and practices are not the reason for this year’s 3-5, which is still tbd,
It’s a reach to equate the 2, can’t prove it.

Reactions: Plum Street
Are our 2 freshmen closer to the Koble types or the freshmen bust.
I agree with some of your sentiments, I just think we should exercise some cautious optimism concerning next season. If we finish 4th in conference next year and get a 6 seed then the season was a waste of time and we set the program back?? I don’t think so. Let’s see what happens with the roster in the off season, let’s see the roster on the court next year and then give them a chance to play together. I am not going into next season with the expectation of they must win the conference and get a 1 seed. With those expectations, I guess if they go the Final Four and lose then I should be disappointed? Let’s get a look at them as a team, be cautiously optimistic, hope all goes well and we see the best RU season in years…….., if they go Elite 8 and lose I am supposed to be pissed??? I would take that and it certainly won’t destroy our recruiting profile.

• Love
I agree with some of your sentiments, I just think we should exercise some cautious optimism concerning next season. If we finish 4th in conference next year and get a 6 seed then the season was a waste of time and we set the program back?? I don’t think so. Let’s see what happens with the roster in the off season, let’s see the roster on the court next year and then give them a chance to play together. I am not going into next season with the expectation of they just win the conference and get a 1 seed. With those expectations, I guess if they go the Final Four and lose then I should be disappointed? Let’s get a look at them as a team, be cautiously optimistic, hope all goes well and we see the best RU season in years……..I would take that and it certainly won’t destroy our recruiting profile.
I would call an elite 8 appearance a success
Your above scenario would not move the needle one way or the other, which in our current state an NIT hopeful would not be exciting to me as a long time fan.
The program is already “set back”
I agree with let’s see what happens. The good news is we have a great class to be hopeful for. With that comes expectations, unmet expectations can be ruinous. Unfortunately BAC and posters on this board are not in charge of those expectations. Nor can they manage them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAC93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT