ADVERTISEMENT

10 Regular Season Games to go. Have we turned corner? What’s the final record pre tournament ?

After a loss on February 5, 1989, Rutgers sat at 8-11. Thereafter we win 7 out of 8 and are 15-12 with momentum heading into the Atlantic 10 Tournament at the Palestra. We then win 2 games at the Palestra and then head “bac to the RAC” where we defeat Penn State to win the A-10 championship, and we finish 18-12 with the autobid in hand.

Gotta dream big dreams, folks. This season isn’t over yet, and we now have a full roster for the first time all year.

Likely? No. Probable? No. But a slim, slim chance?

Dream big dreams, I say.

Well, this win is what I mean by “turning the corner”…clutch free throws, great drives to the hole, fantastic steals and JWill taking control. Mag continues nice offensive effort….and pulling out a win DESPITE all the fouls. Could get interesting.

The defense should keep us in every single game. We get hot on offense and who knows?

When you're #2 defensively you only need to be average offensively to win, even bad offensively and get some wins

Home game. JWill shaking the rust off. Him and Cliff stay out of foul trouble. Gavin or Hyatt start hitting some 3's. Maybe Simpson can go on a multi game hot streak?

When was our last good 3 point shooting night? It's gotta happen again... right?

The defense should keep us in every single game. We get hot on offense and who knows?

When you're #2 defensively you only need to be average offensively to win, even bad offensively and get some wins

Home game. JWill shaking the rust off. Him and Cliff stay out of foul trouble. Gavin or Hyatt start hitting some 3's. Maybe Simpson can go on a multi game hot streak?

When was our last good 3 point shooting night? It's gotta happen again... right?
We think very alike

Reactions: Scangg
Well, this win is what I mean by “turning the corner”… . . .
Well, it certainly was not the "offensive display" that you were championing after Michigan lost their tenth of eleven to us. Under 40% shooting, 15 turnovers, having 1/3 of our possessions resulting in turnovers by the half, only 6 assists by the team all game with zero from Jeremiah, who now has a total of 2.

This was a rock fight, which is what Pike's teams often win. It's Pike's way. But the game was also directly counter to the notion that Jeremiah will fix the massive offensive problems of the team. Simpson again had trouble hitting the side of a barn, suggesting that his performance against Michigan could have been just another one of his aberrant good shooting games. Hyatt took a shot that not only missed the rim but almost the backboard. Wolf was dribbling around like a point guard wannabe and threw the ball away. Griffiths took an o-fer. Fernandes was mostly a disaster. In other words, there was no renaissance, or even improvement, for the offense. Defense won this game.

Now, Jeremiah does look like a better guard than anyone else on the roster. So that looks like it could be a no-doubt improvement. But I'm not sure that he is the potion that will make everybody better on offense, or even anyone. He just may make RU better because he's better than what we had.

All that said, while they were different, they were wins. Two wins on the road. That's tough in the B1G. I'll take it and happily. But we need a lot more to establish that we've turned a corner. Leave your blinker on. Wisconsin at home next. That'll be a challenge, and I hope the RAC is rocking.

We are due… way overdue.. for some offensive burst

Reactions: Scangg
After a loss on February 5, 1989, Rutgers sat at 8-11. Thereafter we win 7 out of 8 and are 15-12 with momentum heading into the Atlantic 10 Tournament at the Palestra. We then win 2 games at the Palestra and then head “bac to the RAC” where we defeat Penn State to win the A-10 championship, and we finish 18-12 with the autobid in hand.

Gotta dream big dreams, folks. This season isn’t over yet, and we now have a full roster for the first time all year.

Likely? No. Probable? No. But a slim, slim chance?

Dream big dreams, I say.
Didn’t we go to Europe before that season? ;-)

Well, it certainly was not the "offensive display" that you were championing after Michigan lost their tenth of eleven to us. Under 40% shooting, 15 turnovers, having 1/3 of our possessions resulting in turnovers by the half, only 6 assists by the team all game with zero from Jeremiah, who now has a total of 2.

This was a rock fight, which is what Pike's teams often win. It's Pike's way. But the game was also directly counter to the notion that Jeremiah will fix the massive offensive problems of the team. Simpson again had trouble hitting the side of a barn, suggesting that his performance against Michigan could have been just another one of his aberrant good shooting games. Hyatt took a shot that not only missed the rim but almost the backboard. Wolf was dribbling around like a point guard wannabe and threw the ball away. Griffiths took an o-fer. Fernandes was mostly a disaster. In other words, there was no renaissance, or even improvement, for the offense. Defense won this game.

Now, Jeremiah does look like a better guard than anyone else on the roster. So that looks like it could be a no-doubt improvement. But I'm not sure that he is the potion that will make everybody better on offense, or even anyone. He just may make RU better because he's better than what we had.

All that said, while they were different, they were wins. Two wins on the road. That's tough in the B1G. I'll take it and happily. But we need a lot more to establish that we've turned a corner. Leave your blinker on. Wisconsin at home next. That'll be a challenge, and I hope the RAC is rocking.
I was tempted at first to say, “What you talkin bout Willis?” But I read your post again and realized it wasn’t as negative as I originally thought.

With regard to Jeremiah’s impact, we all know how offensively challenged this team is, and the addition of one player is not gonna change that overnight.

What I saw last night was a guy who saved our ass offensively, not once but twice, first with a step back three and later with a driving scoop to the hole — both at the shot clock buzzer. That’s 5 critical points in a 3-point victory.

The fact that we’ve won two straight B1G games on the road since JWill came back is not a coincidence. He has changed our team for the better, and while we may not have turned the corner just yet, we’re definitely heading in a new and more exciting direction.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT