ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. DePaul

it is a horrible loss on the resume, let me tell you that

this team is 0-4 as far as quality of concerned. Sure they beat the first 3 horrible teams they played but then lost to the 4th horrible team.

the reaction is based on the SUM of what we are seeing so far (all 4 games)

And all signs point to… this is gonna be a looooong and disappointing season.

that is what you’re seeing here

That decision to foul right away was retarded too. Pressue depaul first- see if you can cause a turnover. He should've brought Caleb back in minutes earlier- when Mulchay was giving up wide open 3's. Instead Pike waits last minute and brings Caleb in- just for us to foul anyway. The heck be going through Pikes head during games
Kind of agree there on the early foul.

That decision to foul right away was retarded too. Pressue depaul first- see if you can cause a turnover. He should've brought Caleb back in minutes earlier- when Mulchay was giving up wide open 3's. Instead Pike waits last minute and brings Caleb in- just for us to foul anyway. The heck be going through Pikes head during games

not it wasnt, they were 16-29 and it was one and one...most coaches want to lengthen the game, Pike apparently doesnt because instead of going for an easy 2, his team had no clue and wasted 10 seconds before calling timeout

I look at the body of work and I’m offended you even put me on ignore.
Sorry lol. I put myself on ignore now and again. I'm honored I offended you so I promise to have a thicker Northeast pa skin going forward.
My son's in Hellertown and I love the area so it was a hard decision 😁

Reactions: bethlehemfan
this team is 0-4 as far as quality of concerned. Sure they beat the first 3 horrible teams they played but then lost to the 4th horrible team.

the reaction is based on the SUM of what we are seeing so far (all 4 games)

And all signs point to… this is gonna be a looooong and disappointing season.

that is what you’re seeing here

good point....its not one loss, its one loss plus the way they looked the first 3 games

writing is on the wall

Agee is not a Big 10 player no we dont have to wait to learn it

we have very little bench that can contribute...Hyatt, Jones and maybe Mag. Palm and Miller dont play and Reiber is overmatched.

Caleb is awful right now. Cliff cant play D without fouling. Geo has been in and out. Ron is the only one coming to play every night. Paul shaking slump off but he is not someone you can ride to bring you to a win.

most disappointing to me is the teams mindset and lack of leadership

Still needs some individual growth.

Geo: Body language always is questionable at times. Needs to loosen up a little. Played more confidently when he was behind Sanders and just was having fun with it.
Ron: Solid, but he has some lapses. That And 1 foul was terrible.
Cliff: Solid, but needs to be even more aggressive than he is on rebounding without the fouls. He has a higher ceiling than Myles, but from sheer size, he is behind from a rebounding perspective.
Paul: Starting to get it together somewhat offensively. But needs to be a bigger scoring threat to open up the passing opportunities.
Caleb: Value is in ball handling and defense. Lost some of his mojo on offense. Used to use a baseline turnaround fadeaway. Should go back to that or a floater.
Hyatt: Needs more minutes. Pretty consistent without much glaring criticisms.
Jaden: Needs to be that sixth man scoring threat when Geo and Ron are out.
Agee: For a person that was hyped for his offense, so frustrating seeing him dribble instead of go straight up. Needs work. Put Reiber or Mag in until then.
Mag/Reiber: Serviceable on defense. Probably doesn’t get any offensive looks for a reason. But if they work for rebounds, I’m okay with that.

Sorry lol. I put myself on ignore now and again. I'm honored I offended you so I promise to have a thicker Northeast pa skin going forward.
My son's in Hellertown and I love the area so it was a hard decision 😁
Maybe I will see you at lost tavern but they are penn staters so beware.

so what, he is a talented frosh, he needs to play through mistakes just like Geo and Ron were allowed to when they were freshmen
No I hate to be negative but I actually think we would’ve been blown out in embarrassing fashion if he played more. DePaul would’ve scored closer to their 90+ point average. Geo’s defense as a frosh was much much better than what we’ve seen from Jones so far, unfortunately.

it is a horrible loss on the resume, let me tell you that
Teams don’t make/miss the tournament because of horrible losses. It’s the biggest myth.

Teams make/miss the tournament because of quality wins or a lack thereof. If this team plays well during conference play, they will get in.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Teams don’t make/miss the tournament because of horrible losses. It’s the biggest myth.

Teams make/miss the tournament because of quality wins or a lack thereof. If this team plays well during conference play, they will get in.
The conference stinks that’s not good for Rutgers given the OOC.

Really needed SHU at home but our AD botched that.

The conference stinks that’s not good for Rutgers given the OOC.

Really needed SHU at home but our AD botched that.
That's limp dick Hobbs for you. At least he fooled jersey Mike's into wasting their money

lol I do analysis on this every year, yes they do. when schools give the committee a reason to leave them out

No I hate to be negative but I actually think we would’ve been blown out in embarrassing fashion if he played more. DePaul would’ve scored closer to their 90+ point average. Geo’s defense as a frosh was much much better than what we’ve seen from Jones so far, unfortunately.
not sure what evidence you are using, no one is saying play him 30 plus minutes, but he obviously needs time and touches, when he was out there, he doesnt even have his teammates looking to him to pass and I would rather lose trying than putting Caleb out there

You didn't answer my specific question except for taking a personal shot. ( And I just took you off ignore this year for your charming personality lol).
He got a $100 Million practice facility. To your point we just achieved last 2 years. Who we got,? Who'd we lose. ,?
Coaching is making bad players better and good players great. You seeing that? OT to Lehigh? Barley beating Mamirinack? I don't care what he did at Stony Brook. His coaching looks like crap Right now. Right now.
He's been the coach here for 5 years and 4 games. If you are basing your assessment off of 4 games then he is justified in calling you an idiot.

not sure what evidence you are using, no one is saying play him 30 plus minutes, but he obviously needs time and touches, when he was out there, he doesnt even have his teammates looking to him to pass and I would rather lose trying than putting Caleb out there
The evidence is in the film tape of Jones on defense so far - especially the times he’s gone in without Caleb on the floor (it’s worst when he plays alongside Paul on the perimeter who also loses his man a lot).

The bottom line is, we should’ve been able to hold DePaul under 70 pretty easily to win this game even with Caleb’s air balls.

In my view, the decision that cost us the game was the 21 minutes given to Agee and Reiber at the 5. That served no good purpose other than weakening our defense from what it would’ve been with a line up that included all 3 of Caleb, RHJ and Hyatt at 3-5. Reiber and Agee combined for 1 defensive rebound. When Cliff got a breather and we were up 23-16, that was the time to hold them with a strong defensive line up - instead Agee went in and he’s a non-factor on defense in the paint. So DePaul made some baskets and gained confidence. Went on to take the lead into the half.

Reactions: bac2therac
He's been the coach here for 5 years and 4 games. If you are basing your assessment off of 4 games then he is justified in calling you an idiot.
Well is that case I'm justified for calling you an idiot for thinking that's what I'm doing.

Hes always hyped up every team hes had. Hes overly optimistic and exaggerates alot. Its just who he is
Feels like this year he went too extreme. This is a very mediocre team. They lack speed, creativity, intensity and, most of all, an identity. Maybe it will change, but other than Harper, Omeruyi, Baker and Hyatt, not much else on this team. The poor recruiting is showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT