ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. DePaul

Seriously, please tell us what we don't know.
Let's start with you telling us why for 3 or 4 years we only have one single end of game play and continue to go with it in spite of recent success with my it or play during that very end game? ( Is RHJ just having made 2 gigantic threes )?
Pike brought rutgers it’s first tournament win in 40 years. It’s first back to back winning seasons in 30 years. He’s won everywhere he’s been. The guy can coach. Recruiting? Ok. But he’s handicapped by a horrendous history. The kids he is recruiting in their formative years what did they know about rutgers? He’s an excellent coach and if you think otherwise you are either an idiot of very ignorant or emotional.

Who cares what a newspaper writer picks?

If we’re taking preseason predictions as gold, then let’s focus on us being picked to be a tournament team. Or are we going to selectively acknowledge these predictions based on the narrative we want?
You actually believe DePaul is a good team?

Pike is a good coach. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
We didn't run an offense last year and we don't run one this year. He is a good defensive coach. That gets you this far..blowing it to depaul. Loyal to a fault. Playing mag over Jones. Just pathetic tonight.

Giving the ball to mag to take last shot of first half? That's good coaching?

We didn't run an offense last year and we don't run one this year. He is a good defensive coach. That gets you this far..blowing it to depaul. Loyal to a fault. Playing mag over Jones. Just pathetic tonight.

it actually got us a point away from the sweet 16.

Pike brought rutgers it’s first tournament win in 40 years. It’s first back to back winning seasons in 30 years. He’s won everywhere he’s been. The guy can coach. Recruiting? Ok. But he’s handicapped by a horrendous history. The kids he is recruiting in their formative years what did they know about rutgers? He’s an excellent coach and if you think otherwise you are either an idiot of very ignorant or emotional.
I’m generally a positive fan and believe Pike will get (and deserves) multiple more seasons at the helm even if we’re horrendous. But taking into account the warning signs we’re seeing this year and the roster next year (yikes, barring multiple high profile transfers), he’s gonna need to land a haul in the ‘23 recruiting class in order to sustain any positive momentum

Reactions: zazoo2002

Giving the ball to mag to take last shot of first half? That's good coaching?
Did you see Jones defense?

Reactions: RUby RED
it actually got us a point away from the sweet 16.
Jacob young got us a point away from the sweet sixteen*

What is our team gonna look like without Baker and Harper? Palmquist? D2 reiber? Mag? Miller who isn't even good enough to get a minute now? Our team with senior leadership can't even beat DePaul.

And pike got us Jacob Young, right?

You people who blame the coach when a team loses then blame the players when a team is successful are a funny bunch!
Pike lost us Jacob young. Please don't hang your hat on being a feeder team for Oregon. It's not a good look.

Reactions: RUsojo
Fans think there are easy answers because they are ignorant and don’t understand what they are seeing. That’s fine but appreciate that you have an excellent coach. No you’re simplistic views are not the answer.

Reactions: fluoxetine
You didn't answer my specific question except for taking a personal shot. ( And I just took you off ignore this year for your charming personality lol).
He got a $100 Million practice facility. To your point we just achieved last 2 years. Who we got,? Who'd we lose. ,?
Coaching is making bad players better and good players great. You seeing that? OT to Lehigh? Barley beating Mamirinack? I don't care what he did at Stony Brook. His coaching looks like crap Right now. Right now.

so what, he is a talented frosh, he needs to play through mistakes just like Geo and Ron were allowed to when they were freshmen
Exactly. Every player on this team has multiple flaws. The one thing we desperately need is a shooter. Jones can score but his defense is poor. However, McConnell throws up airball after airball, dribbles 15 seconds off the clock for no reason, and Agee and Reiber are completely lost. I don’t see what other people see in Mag either, yet Jones is apparently SO bad that he’s not even in when a big shot is needed. Mind Boggling

Geo went to the basket late in a critical spot, was fouled, and not called. Have to call that when you’re giving the other team 1000 FTs
Where's the coach? Had he engaged the refs anytime earlier he might gotten the call.

You didn't answer my specific question except for taking a personal shot. ( And I just took you off ignore this year for your charming personality lol).
He got a $100 Million practice facility. To your point we just achieved last 2 years. Who we got,? Who'd we lose. ,?
Coaching is making bad players better and good players great. You seeing that? OT to Lehigh? Barley beating Mamirinack? I don't care what he did at Stony Brook. His coaching looks like crap Right now. Right now.
I look at the body of work and I’m offended you even put me on ignore.

That decision to foul right away was retarded too. Pressue depaul first- see if you can cause a turnover. He should've brought Caleb back in minutes earlier- when Mulchay was giving up wide open 3's. Instead Pike waits last minute and brings Caleb in- just for us to foul anyway. The heck be going through Pikes head during games

If McConnell didn't get so much playing time, we win tonight.

Yet somehow at the 6:10 mark of the second half when Caleb checked out we were up 54-50 and had held DePaul to only 17 points in the half to that point. Caleb then sits until that last defensive possession and DePaul rattles off 5 three pointers in 5 and a half minutes and we don’t get a single stop. You could attribute DePaul’s late shots to luck but are you doing the same for NJITs? What about Lehigh? There’s a trend. We haven’t been able to contain the perimeter for long stretches with Caleb on the bench. It’s unfortunate as I’ve never seen someone’s shot go from very bad to materially worse the way Caleb’s seems to have year over year.

I do not understand Agee and Reiber playing though when Hyatt was on the bench. Neither of them did more to protect the paint than Hyatt and Hyatt provides better offense too. Did not understand that at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT