ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. DePaul

That practice facility seems to be paying for itself for both basketball teams. Sheesh.
It’s for the wrestling team who went 0-9 in wrestling last year … actually think RU will have a good year in wrestling and go .500 in conference

On offense we do a lot of aimless dribbling and passing around the perimeter. Passes that penetrate the inside are few and far between.

We will not win a lot of games this year if we can’t get the ball inside. We’re not a good perimeter shooting team, and we don’t rebound.

Pikes McConnell love is disturbing. How does he play the first 12 minutes of the second half? We had chances to go on a run and pull away and this guy is absolutely destroying this team.

Last edited:
We needed this loss. It's been a poor lazy start to the season. Maybe this kicks things into gear.

There's no way this team can compete with Nova. Nova must have started their walk ons in their scrimmage. This team is not a step above mediocre.
You practices situations in scrimmages and try things and combos you would t us e in a real game. Results and scores of scrimmages mean absolutely nothing.

It’s for the wrestling team who went 0-9 in wrestling last year … actually think RU will have a good year in wrestling and go .500 in conference
They went 0-4 in a covid year against 4 of the top teams in the country. They’re the highest ranked of all the men’s programs if I’m not mistaken.

Now that we loss to Depaul- I don't have to worry about getting upset. If we improve throughout the yr, cool.. If we win 15-16 games - wouldn't surprise me at all. Pike had plenty of chances to bring in solid basketball players, but he handed the scholarships to joke level basketball players. Is what it is.. No going back now

Reactions: hbbsm713
We look like shit. To be fair we also looked like shit in November 2019 and took an ugly loss to a bad Pitt team on the road so I don’t think all hope is lost.

People’s expectations for this season were far too high to begin with.

I said it last year, two years ago. And I’ll say it again. We are not talented. We beat teams by playing harder, tougher, smarter and faster. We can’t beat teams with pure skill.

We benefited last year cause all that stuff is MUCH easier to do with no fans.

Gotta say - I’ve been a big Pike fan.

but even I can say…. There are undoubtedly cracks showing.

we’re gonna suck this year

and will worse next year unless there’s a big influx of transfer talent

i seriously fear we are going straight back to the basement

You practices situations in scrimmages and try things and combos you would t us e in a real game. Results and scores of scrimmages mean absolutely nothing.
Said it at the time. Scrimmages are completely meaningless.

Pikes McConnell love is disturbing. How does he play the first 12 minutes if the second half? We had chances to go on a run and pull away and this guy is absolutely destroying this team.
Apparently he’s a defensive genius 🙄.

Which is funny because I found him offensive the entire game.

On offense we do a lot of aimless dribbling and passing around the perimeter. Passes that penetrate the inside are few and far between.

We will not win a lot of games this year if we can’t get the ball inside. We’re not a good perimeter shooting team, and we don’t rebound.
And people wonder why we don’t get foul calls

Reactions: scarknight90
No one does. It’s bad basketball. Pile didn’t recruit the most important players. JY and Miles. If we are going to play ugly, we needed them to win.
Not only that, but Ron, Geo, & Hyatt showed tonight that when you open it up and play fast looking for the open guy on the perimeter, they’ll hit threes. Pike’s style just forces them to slow down into a slog with no rhythm and chuck up prayers.

Reactions: SBP
If you think we are poorly coached you are seriously stupid.
Seriously, please tell us what we don't know.
Let's start with you telling us why for 3 or 4 years we only have one single end of game play and continue to go with it in spite of recent success with my it or play during that very end game? ( Is RHJ just having made 2 gigantic threes )?

Win some lose some. DePaul scores 96 points per game, they hit 5 straight 3-pointers in the final 2 minutes, we responded best we could but couldn’t hit the one when it counted

We look like shit. To be fair we also looked like shit in November 2019 and took an ugly loss to a bad Pitt team on the road so I don’t think all hope is lost.

People’s expectations for this season were far too high to begin with.
That is what this game reminds me of. Pitt in ‘19. Though we could’ve won this game 10x over.

Hes always hyped up every team hes had. Hes overly optimistic and exaggerates alot. Its just who he is
Coach in imogj: 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

They were picked for last place in the Big East this year.
Who cares what a newspaper writer picks?

If we’re taking preseason predictions as gold, then let’s focus on us being picked to be a tournament team. Or are we going to selectively acknowledge these predictions based on the narrative we want?

As someone who went to both Rutgers and FSU I follow both schools. Rutgers and FSU both don’t run an identifiable offensive set. You can do that when you get blue chippers like FSU does in basketball. You can’t do that with the kind of recruiting classes Pike gets. If you do, even bad teams like DePaul will be able to stick around and pull off a win. Against Big 10 teams? It’s scary to think about.

Reactions: Shelby65
Sitting Jaden while we suck and during the transfer portal era. SMART. having Geo who was cold shoot at the end when Ron was hot another smart move. **** this game. Pike coached like an idiot.

Hyatt looks good; Jones needs time -- and hopefully gets time; Cliff needs to stay on the floor. SP won't say anything about the refs - never does - but doubt will see this ridiculous disparity going forward.

Pikes McConnell love is disturbing. How does he play the first 12 minutes if the second half? We had chances to go on a run and pull away and this guy is absolutely destroying this team.
That is the $64,000 question - if he were playing well, as he has in the past, at times, then sure, but he's now 4-25 this season after an 0-6 tonight - one doesn't need a PhD in eng'g (yes I have one, lol) to know that that's 16-friggin'-percent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT