ADVERTISEMENT

Longerbeam vs. Harrison jr.

Jerseylegends

Junior
Mar 15, 2023
Idk if he follows him no matter the formation. I've noticed him and Melton sticking to their sides of the field. But I'm looking forward to seeing how longerbeam does against MHJ. Melton as well but longerbeam can earn himself some cash this weekend if he can lock him up. They both can but longerbeam is my guy..Light the f*ckin beam! Lol

This a tough ask .

I think this is the best WR to come into rutgers stadium since Larry Fitzgerald in 2003 .

Anyone remember that game ?? Fitzgerald and Pittsburgh rolled over us in the first half . But we fought back and made it competitive in the second half. That was when i though schiano might be building something

Sounds like Egbuka is back for the game per McCord comments, “To get a guy like that back is huge. He’s looked really good in practice. I thought he was gonna be good enough to go last weekend, but I think they just played it safe. So you know, whenever that game comes, when he’s finally back out there, I’m excited for it.”

Reactions: cicero grimes
QB still needs to get him the ball and of our DBs are aggressive with safety help over the top we may get some picks

This a tough ask .

I think this is the best WR to come into rutgers stadium since Larry Fitzgerald in 2003 .

Anyone remember that game ?? Fitzgerald and Pittsburgh rolled over us in the first half . But we fought back and made it competitive in the second half. That was when i though schiano might be building something
Yup I was there. Fitz had a ton of catches that game. Need to look up how many. It was 8 for 207 and 2 TDs.

Has to be the best or right up there with Garrett Wilson since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Guessing we'll need to send DBs on blitzes... WRs too good.. need pressure... force QB happy feet and mistakes.

Reactions: mildone
Guessing we'll need to send DBs on blitzes... WRs too good.. need pressure... force QB happy feet and mistakes.
More or less what I was about to say.

The RU defensive coaches might be agonizing over the tradeoff. Either send more people to create pressure, leaving our DBs on islands w/their receivers. Or else rely on our DL to create enough pressure and get creative trying to get the OSU QB to throw some potential INTs into unexpected coverage.

If I thought we could match up decently with OSU, I'd argue that a more conservative approach that forces the OSU to make more throws would be better. And I do think that approach would keep the game closer.

But I don't think we match up well at all. So I think it's likely we'll see some unusually risky gambles from the DC aimed at getting pressure on the OSU QB. If those gambles don't work, we'll see them getting some big numbers in the passing game and the game won't wind up close.

Personally, I don't care about losing close versus losing big. I'd rather see us go all out to win by taking some chances that wouldn't make any sense against opponents we have a more realistic chance at beating. Only way to win, IMO. Especially if they stop our run game, which is not unlikely.

More or less what I was about to say.

The RU defensive coaches might be agonizing over the tradeoff. Either send more people to create pressure, leaving our DBs on islands w/their receivers. Or else rely on our DL to create enough pressure and get creative trying to get the OSU QB to throw some potential INTs into unexpected coverage.

If I thought we could match up decently with OSU, I'd argue that a more conservative approach that forces the OSU to make more throws would be better. And I do think that approach would keep the game closer.

But I don't think we match up well at all. So I think it's likely we'll see some unusually risky gambles from the DC aimed at getting pressure on the OSU QB. If those gambles don't work, we'll see them getting some big numbers in the passing game and the game won't wind up close.

Personally, I don't care about losing close versus losing big. I'd rather see us go all out to win by taking some chances that wouldn't make any sense against opponents we have a more realistic chance at beating. Only way to win, IMO. Especially if they stop our run game, which is not unlikely.
Idk...I felt like that's the way they coached vs. Michigan and I believe that hurt the team...would like to see what would've happened if they kick that field goal instead of pick6..

Who will be covering Harrison and Ebuka if the DBs blitz? If we have to use CB/Safety blitzes to get pressure, I think we are in trouble. In this game, I think stopping OSU’s running game is the first priority. They will need to double/bracket Harrison pretty often. It’s a tough deal. Hopefully they can get some pressure with 4 DLs and a LB blitz once in a while. They have to tackle well.

Our best D will be our ability to run the ball effectively on O and control the clock to limit their opportunities - we can’t cover Harrison all day long, he will get his.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
This a tough ask .

At halftime my 13 year old daughter asked me how was it that Fitgerald was so much better than anyone else playing.

That was a crazy game and Ryan Hart went wild in the second half and almost brought the good guys to victory.

Our best D will be our ability to run the ball effectively on O and control the clock to limit their opportunities - we can’t cover Harrison all day long, he will get his.
That would only be true if we can actually run the ball effectively. That's not going to be easy against OSU's D.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Idk...I felt like that's the way they coached vs. Michigan and I believe that hurt the team...would like to see what would've happened if they kick that field goal instead of pick6..
We tried to play our style of O and D against UM. I'm not talking about decisions in the red zone so much as how to approach pressuring the QB (risk versus reward) and how to gain yards against a team with far more athleticism and depth than us.

We tried to play our style of O and D against UM. I'm not talking about decisions in the red zone so much as how to approach pressuring the QB (risk versus reward) and how to gain yards against a team with far more athleticism and depth than us.
Well Michigan also knew what plays we were running.

This a tough ask .

Great call. I remember being blown away at how good Fitz was.

Reactions: Plum Street
This a tough ask .

I was at that game and Fitzgerald made one of the best catches I ever saw. He was tripled covered and still came down with the ball on a long pass.

Reactions: RU Cheese
It’s all about stopping the run and getting a pass rush. A DB is measured on how long he can cover a guy.

Yeah.. agreed. Take the shot. Don't care about "close'.. at least in the first half. if you are close in the 2nd.. you've already got that measuring stick thing done.

I do wonder about incentive clauses in coaches' contracts and hope they do not promote playing just to keep it close.

I do think we have to use the odd stunt/blitz tactic sparingly. God help us if we make it predictable. I recall many times during GS 1.0 where I said.. it's third and forever.. please dear god, do not send the house. Then those 3rd and forever gets made and I do the double-face-palm shake-my-head. And if we had crushed the QB again, what do we get? 4th and forever.

Send 1 extra from unpredictable places at unpredictable times. 1st down, for instance.

FURTHERMORE... if Wimsatt is getting hit.. and OSU has some 3 sack types in top ten.. .. rather than keep Wimsatt in to keep it close I saw we save wear and tear of many players including Wimsatt for games we might win. Close? Who cares!

Last edited:
Yeah.. agreed. Take the shot. Don't care about "close'.. at least in the first half. if you are close in the 2nd.. you've already got that measuring stick thing done.

I do wonder about incentive clauses in coaches' contracts and hope they do not promote playing just to keep it close.

I do think we have to use the odd stunt/blitz tactic sparingly. God help us if we make it predictable. I recall many times during GS 1.0 where I said.. it's third and forever.. please dear god, do not send the house. Then those 3rd and forever gets made and I do the double-face-palm shake-my-head. And if we had crushed the QB again, what do we get? 4th and forever.

Send 1 extra from unpredictable places at unpredictable times. 1st down, for instance.

FURTHERMORE... if Wimsatt is getting hit.. and OSU has some 3 sack types in top ten.. .. rather than keep Wimsatt in to keep it close I saw we save wear and tear of many players including Wimsatt for games we might win. Close? Who cares!
I’m mostly thinking we get beat handily in this game. But I also think that with a mistake-free game plus some amazingly good luck, we could make a game out of it. I guess I’m more interested in this game than I’ve been in any other game vs OSU in the past because we have more potential than ever before.

But there is no ignoring just how good OSU‘s players are, especially on D. Lotta NFL-bound kids. And a lot of NFL-bound players who will ride the bench for them because of their depth. That’s just really hard to overcome.

And he played both plays as well as a NFL player could have.
I think what I saw was this... OSU knows how Schiano coaches DBs. They know we play the WR and not the QB and not the BALL. We saw at least 2 TD passes where they KNEW the DB would not be playing the ball or QB.

I think maybe, just maybe, if we made that a variable thing deep in the red zone or on 3rd or 4th and short.. that we might end up with a pick 6 when the DB suddenly switches to seeking a peak at the QB.

But 2 TDs
If he played for RU he would have had 125 yds and no TDs
Both on longerbeam but tight coverage on both...he played well today, goal line fades with a 6'4" elite receiver, he broke one up lost on the other 2...but the secondary pretty much contained their receivers...they made some money today...hope longerbeam will come back next year..

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT