ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: CKLV Tournament Updates

Psych
I got up this morning wondering what I was going to say to the moderator about your post and frankly whether I wanted to stay on this board. Thanks for removing those words. Let me try to help you with the upper weights. Recruiting is done by all of the coaches not just Leonardis and Turner. Your statement about upper weights not wanting to wrestle for those coaches hit me as absurd. D1 wrestlers want to succeed and wrestle for their personal accomplishments and RU. I took your comment to mean they go into the tank while wrestling because they don’t like their position coach. Nothing could be further from the truth. Donny P, who you credit, works as much with the upper weights as he does with the middle weights so coaching is not the answer. We have to recruit better talent. DJ Russo at his NCAAs did not AA and he confided in me out there that his NERVES got to him and caused him to lose, not talent or coaching. I am st practice 1 or 2 days a week so I see what goes on and how each coach coaches. That is not the problem. We need better RTC training partners for those upper weights which is the solution to our problems. That takes money and we are working to raise that to attract that talent. Hope that addresses your issues Psych

To be fair in the 2016 class we recruited several highly ranked upper weight guys. Just hasn’t panned out.

I think Janzer is going to be a terrific wrestler at 184 or 197. AA caliber. Not sure about Lightner yet, but you never know. I still think Colucci will be a borderline qualifier for NCAAs (top 33), let's hope so. Hopefully the new practice facility, and getting an NCAA champ or 2 this March, will improve recruiting even better than it is now.
Looking forward to the Rider match ! After Rider it's a long 3 weeks off to the next dual (Minn).

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Glasgow was a little dinged up saw he was held out for precautionary reasons and not subjected to the grind of 2-4 matches in 2 days.

Reactions: brentx35
Imagine if Suriano didn’t transfer and Ash wasn’t granted 6th year.... O___O.. Thankful :pray:

Psych
I got up this morning wondering what I was going to say to the moderator about your post and frankly whether I wanted to stay on this board. Thanks for removing those words. Let me try to help you with the upper weights. Recruiting is done by all of the coaches not just Leonardis and Turner. Your statement about upper weights not wanting to wrestle for those coaches hit me as absurd. D1 wrestlers want to succeed and wrestle for their personal accomplishments and RU. I took your comment to mean they go into the tank while wrestling because they don’t like their position coach. Nothing could be further from the truth. Donny P, who you credit, works as much with the upper weights as he does with the middle weights so coaching is not the answer. We have to recruit better talent. DJ Russo at his NCAAs did not AA and he confided in me out there that his NERVES got to him and caused him to lose, not talent or coaching. I am st practice 1 or 2 days a week so I see what goes on and how each coach coaches. That is not the problem. We need better RTC training partners for those upper weights which is the solution to our problems. That takes money and we are working to raise that to attract that talent. Hope that addresses your issues Psych

This is the primary driver responsbile for the upper weight issues, IMO. Quite simply, recruits haven't come close to reaching the potential the coaches thought they could reach coming out of high school. We have "middle of the pack" guys who wrestle in the Big Ten, so the deficiencies are even more glaring since the competition is so strong. Frankly, we have a lot of individuals in the upper weights who really do not belong in the Big Ten and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight probably shouldn't have been recruited in the first place. Something definitely needs to change from a recruiting stand point.

Reactions: koleszar
A few thoughts

1. Looking at high school rankings our recent upper weights were very good with multiple state championships and Correnti won the beast of the east and beat the current #5 college heavy weight. At all colleges some kids lose the passion, others reach their ceilings in high schools, and others who were just good in high school reach their peak in college (Cassar). By the way, WNG was wrong, Turner can't leave campus to recruit. The only 3 guys that can make in home visits are Goodale, Pritzlaff, and Leonardis. The other coaches provide now campus support. Unless you recruit the # 1 or # 2 guy in their weight class, recruiting is a crap shoot. Penn State is great as a result of their recruiting. Even they have kids that withdrawal from school (Teasdale) and kids that underperform (the Altons (who were ranked #2 and #8 in all weight classes nationally in high school) and Jimmy Gulibon with a Pa. high school record of 146 and 4 & a 4 time state champ)

2. Am skeptical about Glasgow. WNG could have received coach speak. It could be injury, grades, discipline, or not wanting to hurt resume for NCAAs. WNG is our biggest fan and could be susceptible to coach speak. Think Suriano.

3. I am fine with questioning coaches as everyone is entitled to have their job evaluated. Questioning college students is not my cup of tea although it can be ok. I Iove it when posters have different opinions. No poster should be viewed as the almighty. We should welcome and encourage dialogue. That makes a forum lively and gets one to return.

A few thoughts

1. Looking at high school rankings our recent upper weights were very good with multiple state championships and Correnti won the beast of the east and beat the current #5 college heavy weight. At all colleges some kids lose the passion, others reach their ceilings in high schools, and others who were just good in high school reach their peak in college (Cassar). By the way, WNG was wrong, Turner can't leave campus to recruit. The only 3 guys that can make in home visits are Goodale, Pritzlaff, and Leonardis. The other coaches provide now campus support. Unless you recruit the # 1 or # 2 guy in their weight class, recruiting is a crap shoot. Penn State is great as a result of their recruiting. Even they have kids that withdrawal from school (Teasdale) and kids that underperform (the Altons (who were ranked #2 and #8 in all weight classes nationally in high school) and Jimmy Gulibon with a Pa. high school record of 146 and 4 & a 4 time state champ)

2. Am skeptical about Glasgow. WNG could have received coach speak. It could be injury, grades, discipline, or not wanting to hurt resume for NCAAs. WNG is our biggest fan and could be susceptible to coach speak. Think Suriano.

3. I am fine with questioning coaches as everyone is entitled to have their job evaluated. Questioning college students is not my cup of tea although it can be ok. I Iove it when posters have different opinions. No poster should be viewed as the almighty. We should welcome and encourage dialogue. That makes a forum lively and gets one to return.

Really wish we were in a position to red-shirt Glasgow this year.

Roman Bravo Young beat Paetzall easy. By MD. Big 10 133 tournament will be nuts w Suriano, Micic, RBY, Pletcher, DeSanto and Lizak.

RBY did not even attempt to ride. That will come back to haunt him in the Big tourneys. He is electric on his feet, but I do not think he will finish in the top 4 in the B10. How do you rank the 133's in the B10?

1) Suriano
2) Miccic
3) Pletcher
4) Lisak
5) Desanto
6) RBY

RBY did not even attempt to ride. That will come back to haunt him in the Big tourneys. He is electric on his feet, but I do not think he will finish in the top 4 in the B10. How do you rank the 133's in the B10?

1) Suriano
2) Miccic
3) Pletcher
4) Lisak
5) Desanto
6) RBY

Mine similar, but would put RBY over DeSanto.Maybe over Lizak as well.

Glasgow is not coach speak as he is a good kid so not grades/discipline. I knowTurner can’t recruit on visits. Recruiting upper weights is a crap shoot.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

1) Suriano
2) Miccic
3) Pletcher
4) Lisak
5) Desanto
6) RBY

RBY had well over a minute of riding time and has looked pretty darn good from top so far this year. I don't think it's a weak spot from what I've seen. He's goooooooood and getting better every day.

Reactions: obrats
I'm very surprised how good Cassar has looked at 285 so far. With 285 not being so great, he could be a top 3 kid this year. What's up with Nevills?

Cassar took his spot. That's about it.

I was just informed that Cassar beat Nevills at the Keystone Classic in Phil a few weeks ago, something like 7-2. Guess he won the spot. Nevills as a back up. not bad.

I was just informed that Cassar beat Nevills at the Keystone Classic in Phil a few weeks ago, something like 7-2. Guess he won the spot. Nevills as a back up. not bad.
Nevills was the #2 rated Hwt at the time.... They have two top 3 HWT on the roster.. one has to be on the bench... feels wasted.. a healthy Nevills is a gtd AA

Hall vs Kutler 0-0 after 1. Lehigh's last chance to avoid a shut out.

edit- Hall won. Lehigh, w about 5 starters out hurt, get shut out.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cassar controlled the entire match. Disparity in levels looked apparent as Nevills really couldn't do anything.

Lehigh also lost to Princeton

I wish we wrestled Lehigh this year, lol. Looks like Rider and Princeton could be a lot closer than we all originally thought. Although wrestling at home should help get our guys on their A game. Plus hopefully Gravina will be back.

I agree Abro. Those 2 teams are going to smell blood in the water and bring there A game.

1. We will not loss to Rider, we match up real well with them (assuming Glasgow is full strength).

2. I don’t like our match ups vs Princeton. Not predicting a loss just yet but it could happen.

3. It’s Steveson not Stevenson. LOL.

Mine similar, but would put RBY over DeSanto.Maybe over Lizak as well.
Are you talking ranking or prediction of how they finish in the BIG10? No way you can “rank” RBY over a NCAA finalist and 2x All American at this point. If you want to tell me you think he can beat him that is another thing.

Are you talking ranking or prediction of how they finish in the BIG10? No way you can “rank” RBY over a NCAA finalist and 2x All American at this point. If you want to tell me you think he can beat him that is another thing.

Prediction. I’m impressed s RBY’s quickness and smarts. He reminds me of Yanni last year.

Reactions: brentx35 and obrats
Obats. I hope your right. I just have a bad feeling.

Relax Passe24

125-Tropea dec Metzler 0-3

133-Suriano md Cefalo 4-3

141-Layton vs Lipari /VanBrill 7-3toss up give RU match

149 Ash pin Fidelibus 13-3

157-VanBrill dec Fluri/Dinmore 16-3

165-Glasgow vs Dellevecchia toss up give Rider match 16-6

174-Grello dec Sherry 19-6

184-Pagano dec Fagg-Davies 22-6

197-Laird dec Correnti Correnti lost 1 point matches to App state kid and Laird lost in OT by 3. Give Rider match 22-9

Hwt-Colucci dec Cloud/Brady 25-9.

3 toss up matches and I gave Rider 2 of the 3. If they win one more match still 22-12. Home Gym, better team, RU wins easy.

Relax Passe24

125-Tropea dec Metzler 0-3

133-Suriano md Cefalo 4-3

141-Layton vs Lipari /VanBrill 7-3toss up give RU match

149 Ash pin Fidelibus 13-3

157-VanBrill dec Fluri/Dinmore 16-3

165-Glasgow vs Dellevecchia toss up give Rider match 16-6

174-Grello dec Sherry 19-6

184-Pagano dec Fagg-Davies 22-6

197-Laird dec Correnti Correnti lost 1 point matches to App state kid and Laird lost in OT by 3. Give Rider match 22-9

Hwt-Colucci dec Cloud/Brady 25-9.

3 toss up matches and I gave Rider 2 of the 3. If they win one more match still 22-12. Home Gym, better team, RU wins easy.

Is the Heavyweight Brady the same kid who was a walk-on linebacker for us 2 years ago? Who was a good wrestler at St Augustine?

Edit- a quick search showed it is. Nice, hard nosed kid. Kind of small for 285, at least he used to be.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
thanks. I was never implying that the uppers arent putting out effort from having a problem with leonardis. My speculation given how important we consistently hear the train parters are that donny is a bigger draw to wrestlers arounf his. We got smith and russo who were big recruits. I think as mentioned the fact that we havent had the expected success. is a factor. I am sure the wrestling club would love national champion resident athletes at each weight. That being said given the issues why not sacrafice a lower weight resident and put as much money needed to get an elite heavyweight to attract a top recruit. Maybe that isnt as possible as it may seem. Also outside of just competition is projecting heavyweights much harder. I would think with the estimation of cutting weight it would almost be easier to transition to college.

New Flovideo : 'Suriano on Micic: " I saw him, He was here, Let's Scrap !"

Very good post match video interview, taken seconds after Suriano won 1st place.

For those that don't have a Flowrestling subscription, I will briefly summarize the linked 5 minute video interview :.

Suriano says Vegas is a Fight Town, he was anxious to test himself vs Micic.
As for Micic's injury, Suriano says something to the effect : 'hey i'm not 100 per cent either, my knee is still weak, it's saggy'.

Says he loves wrestling for Rutgers, for NJ as that is where his family is, his support team is, and where his Fans are !

Asked where he is ranked, says I don't know, that's for you guys to decide, but I'm up there, and I plan on being number 1.

Suriano was all revved up obviously, seconds after beating Erneste, he was still sweating like crazy. I will say one thing, Suriano is not shy saying what's on his mind, lol. Of course the Flowrestling guys are Pros at getting wrestlers (and coaches) to open up.

I'm guessing an Ashnault post win video will be up very soon as well.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events...-invitational/videos?playing=6276086&limit=60

Psych
We are desperately trying to get a top weight RTC wrestler for our room. We have not been able to get one other than Pat Downey who is working with them now. Will keep you updated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT