ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota collapse feels like the end

NJTurnpike

Redshirt
Feb 25, 2023
First, I think we should keep in perspective that not much was expected from this team after losing its two most consistent scorers. To even be in this current position with 18 wins is a credit to Coach Pikiell and the players. Clearly the team is on its way to much better things once the scorers being recruited are ready to play.

As for last night's absolute debacle and collapse, however, it feels like the end of this current team's tournament hopes. Yes, I am well aware that a win over Northwestern or B1G tournament run are possible and could change everything, I don't see how anyone could argue that's likely after failing to beat the conference's worst team despite a 10-point lead with 1:00 to play in a game that essentially would have given us an automatic NCAA bid. There's absolutely no excuse for it and to me, it said once and for all that this team doesn't belong in the NCAA field. There just isn't enough scoring and way too many meltdowns and droughts to think they could do anything except get blown out by an NCAA Tournament-caliber opponent at a neutral site. It's sad, because we were so close to a special season until the reality of this team's glaring deficiencies began to set in. To be fair, the Mag injury also played a huge part in the season initially getting off track.

Before anyone tries to shout me down, please understand that this is simply my honest gut feeling and I fully acknowledge that a turnaround is still possible. I just don't see it happening anymore after last night. The team is welcome to prove me wrong.

First, I think we should keep in perspective that not much was expected from this team after losing its two most consistent scorers. To even be in this current position with 18 wins is a credit to Coach Pikiell and the players. Clearly the team is on its way to much better things once the scorers being recruited are ready to play.

As for last night's absolute debacle and collapse, however, it feels like the end of this current team's tournament hopes. Yes, I am well aware that a win over Northwestern or B1G tournament run are possible and could change everything, I don't see how anyone could argue that's likely after failing to beat the conference's worst team despite a 10-point lead with 1:00 to play in a game that essentially would have given us an automatic NCAA bid. There's absolutely no excuse for it and to me, it said once and for all that this team doesn't belong in the NCAA field. There just isn't enough scoring and way too many meltdowns and droughts to think they could do anything except get blown out by an NCAA Tournament-caliber opponent at a neutral site. It's sad, because we were so close to a special season until the reality of this team's glaring deficiencies began to set in. To be fair, the Mag injury also played a huge part in the season initially getting off track.

Before anyone tries to shout me down, please understand that this is simply my honest gut feeling and I fully acknowledge that a turnaround is still possible. I just don't see it happening anymore after last night. The team is welcome to prove me wrong.
I feel similarly but we looked dead after being blown out to nebreska only to come out and pull one off at Wisconsin. Then we looked god awful vs Michigan and dead vs psu only to come back and pull it off. We seem to play down and up to our competition and NW has been looking cold lately so no reason we can’t win Sunday as unlikely as it may seem

We really had a 10-point comfortable win, we’re not as bad as the reactions think. Yes we collapsed but Minnesota hit and unthinkable 4 three pointers in a minute

• Sad
Reactions: NJTurnpike

220px-Trollface_non-free.png

We can definitely win Sunday but I agree with the OPs gut feeling. This is the knife to the heart, effectively season ending loss that has become de reguer.
2021: Houston
2022: Notre Dame
2023: Minnesota

This one isn't a TRUE elimination game, but it does feel like it is effectively one.

this team has proved us wrong before so we'll see...

But you only just got here!!!
Post counts are meaningless. My opinion means just as much as yours or anyone else's, whether they've posted 100 times or 100,000. Bringing up someone's post count is code for "I don't have an argument to make so I'll just attack someone instead."

Edit: I hope everyone noticed that @fluoxetine quoted me saying "my opinion means just as much as yours" and replied with "Wrong." There really is a small but significant number of posters on this board who think they run the show and their opinion matters more than everyone else's. They should be called to the carpet for their arrogance (and ignorance).

Last edited:
We really had a 10-point comfortable win, we’re not as bad as the reactions think. Yes we collapsed but Minnesota hit and unthinkable 4 three pointers in a minute

definitely a huge element of weird bad luck there but also a successful inbound after the runner to cut it to 8 probably wins the game. That's all we needed. Or either of those rebounds. Or Andre dribbling forward. Or....

We could have weathered those shots with simple execution.

We can definitely win Sunday but I agree with the OPs gut feeling. This is the knife to the heart, effectively season ending loss that has become de reguer.
2021: Houston
2022: Notre Dame
2023: Minnesota

This one isn't a TRUE elimination game, but it does feel like it is effectively one.

this team has proved us wrong before so we'll see...
Does every team lose in such heartbreaking fashion regularly? Houston we were probably 95% chance winning and blew it. Norte dame we had chances to win the game at regulation and first OT and had some bad turnovers and missed rebounds. Minnesota last night we all know. Also Ohio state was a similair heartbreaking loss we should have put away.

Make the tournament and the season is a success. We can do that by beating NW at home as a favorite. Most people would have signed up for that in November. If you were expecting a March run then yeah that’s not happening but those will be coming in the next few years.

Does every team lose in such heartbreaking fashion regularly? Houston we were probably 95% chance winning and blew it. Norte dame we had chances to win the game at regulation and first OT and had some bad turnovers and missed rebounds. Minnesota last night we all know. Also Ohio state was a similair heartbreaking loss we should have put away.

The Notre Dame game was more of a traditional heartbreaker. A back and forth between two evenly matched teams. Compared to the other two not nearly as bad.

The Houston Game and this one are the stuff of Dante-esque nightmares.

Make the tournament and the season is a success. We can do that by beating NW at home as a favorite. Most people would have signed up for that in November. If you were expecting a March run then yeah that’s not happening but those will be coming in the next few years.

The thing is, if we just played like crap and lost a normal game I'd agree with you.

But we WON the game and then gave it away inexplicably. That's a different animal. Tough to get over that.

The Notre Dame game was more of a traditional heartbreaker. A back and forth between two evenly matched teams. Compared to the other two not nearly as bad.

The Houston Game and this one are the stuff of Dante-esque nightmares.
Yeah true we didn’t blow a big lead but I specifically remember turning it over late with the lead and chance to shoot free throws. Same happened vs psu the game before and vs minnesora last night. We really crap the bed in big late game Situations

Put a fork in her. She's cooked. :(

The thing is, if we just played like crap and lost a normal game I'd agree with you.

But we WON the game and then gave it away inexplicably. That's a different animal. Tough to get over that.
Meh. We felt they had already won sitting on our couches. I don't think a player is chalking up a win in that situation with over a minute left, regardless of what the stats say.

Yeah true we didn’t blow a big lead but I specifically remember turning it over late with the lead and chance to shoot free throws. Same happened vs psu the game before and vs minnesora last night. We really crap the bed in big late game Situations

yeah Paul of course, but then he hit a go ahead three pointers....still couldn't get the stop we needed. That's what I mean, back and forth craziness in basically a pick 'em game.

Shit happens. If the guys are too weak to get over this then, well, that's the problem and the game was just a symptom.

• Haha

The team was good enough early season to beat the Number 1 team on the road and a whole bunch of other difficult opponents. They had this thing "in the bag" but one thing I fully comprehend is you can NEVER count on anything with Rutgers. This team is a head case. Saw that when they came home vs. SHU. Physically tough. Mentally weak (in critical times). Not getting in after how the table was set would be an epic fail and a clear blemish. Being remembered for the end and not the whole rest. So we'll all have to do another "wishing to fast forward the clock for better times ahead". So tired of doing that unless better times are built on a better time. 'Rutgers is going to it's first ever 3rd NCAA Tourney in a row." yeah, well maybe not.

I seriously question Pike's own decision making at times. We continue to blow games we have control of and miss huge opportunities to take that next step. (and yes we've come FAR but expectations and standards increase).
Bone head plays and bonehead decisions by the coach are just unacceptable to me anymore. We should be well past these "old Rutgers" ways.

BTW..I still believe we are getting in! We're winning at least 1 more.

Why? If they beat NW then they’re in the tournament. You think anyone will be thinking about a regular season game during the tournament? No shot.

Hey I hope it happens. But they took 99 percent odds of success and turned it into 50/50 at best. Sunday is going to be excruciating.

I shoveled dirt on this team before an they proved me wrong. I won't do it again. I hope they can pull it off but I know what my gut feelings is. Fortunately my gut is often wrong, and is mainly good for digesting chicken cutlet heroes from Bogie's in Hawthorne.

Post counts are meaningless. My opinion means just as much as yours or anyone else's, whether they've posted 100 times or 100,000. Bringing up someone's post count is code for "I don't have an argument to make so I'll just attack someone instead."
my 2 cents. He wasn't doing that.. I think he was kinda joking.. ?

Nice summation by Headband.

Im Not No Way GIF

Reactions: gigantor1024
The players aren't long term Rutgers fans and will not be affected by previous Rutgers failures in the way the fans are.
apparently not lol.
Seriously. I still think we get in and have another win coming.
But another year has to be pulled from my lifespan first.

apparently not lol.
Seriously. I still think we get in and have another win coming.
But another year has to be pulled from my lifespan first.
haha I know, right....I made a remark earlier in the week that if RU beat Minnesota then Sunday's game would be the first time I ever got to watch Rutgers "play for seeding." Instead it will be another 2 hour, slow rolling heart attack.

We win 1 of the next 2 games and the Minnesota game is erased.

This coming from a guy….
1. Doesn’t really care all that much about B1GT
2. Someone who thinks what seed you are is overrated. It is all about matchups. A 9 seed becomes a 1 seed on Saturday if it wins.

The espn tracker thing is crazy. Said we had a 96.8% of winning with the 1:15 to go. And the line graph thing is bonkers. Comfortable lead the whole game and epic collapse. You couldn’t even simulate this and get this outcome.

You can point to the same # of times we should have lost and won, Purdue x 2, PSU, etc

Reactions: scarletknight077
  • Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT