ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the hoops practice this morning

This was a Rfund event …not to all season ticket holders

It’s only for a certain giving level. Check the RFund donation documentation. I’m sure “MBB open practice invite” is only at a certain level of giving.

it’s a Rfund event but open to all season ticket holders. There is no donation requirement to attend the practice. The donation requirement is for the pre-practice gathering.

I was surprised by the very low attendance. It sounds like not all season ticket holders got the email. It has an intimacy that was really great. Pike even answered questions.
They only gave 8 days notice for the practice.

They should have planned it out much further in advance in my opinion so people could have planned on attending in case they had some conflicts.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Last edited:
Not only the work of walk in’s should be appreciated but also the managers. Last year at one court club meeting a couple of managers talked about what they do. Part of my donation the past few years has gone for manager scholarships.

From those that attended practice (In this thread) and media…they talk about depth. Have also heard a lot about J Williams. I wonder how well the observations of his play are being compartmentalized. Meaning if he can’t play this year (sounds like the case), and he is one of the better players in practice….do we still look that deep? I wonder how much his play muddies the waters of how good we look in practice.

Allegedly three years If he is allowed to play this year. If not, then he can play two years. NCAA May change the rule to allow immediate game time for second transfers. They are still discussing this possibility.

Allegedly three years If he is allowed to play this year. If not, then he can play two years. NCAA May change the rule to allow immediate game time for second transfers. They are still discussing this possibility.
When players miss an entire year with an injury, can not practice and the NCAA rules them ineligible for a 2nd consecutive year….they are essentially ruining the careers of young men who have aspirations of playing at the next level.
Only the supremely gifted and talented, generational type players can overcome not experiencing the normal developmental stages and learning process of playing at the elite level.

Shame on the NCAA and their ruling on this kid and our WR in football…. Perhaps I’m missing something??

Last edited:
This team seems deeper for sure but I don’t know who is going to take tough shots late in games and be the go to guy in offense when they need a bucket. I will be interested to see that develop during the season. If I were to bet, I would probably take Noah.

I thought J Williams was the best player on the court today. Cliff is always dominant but Williams played really well on both sides of the court.

I hate to sound negative here (I didn’t watch the practice) but if it turns out that one of the best player we would have (who won’t be eligible ) is a kid who averaged 9.5 ppg 2 years ago on a 17 win Temple team - that doesn’t sound all that promising… what am I missing?

From those that attended practice (In this thread) and media…they talk about depth. Have also heard a lot about J Williams. I wonder how well the observations of his play are being compartmentalized. Meaning if he can’t play this year (sounds like the case), and he is one of the better players in practice….do we still look that deep? I wonder how much his play muddies the waters of how good we look in practice.
Having attended this one practice I cannot say how deep we are. I don’t really think anyone can. There wasn’t a lot of shooting (Pike explained that), it was more situational. There was a lot of running and we have good speed.
To give an example of evaluating from one practice, I expect Fernandes to be pretty good based on his history. But if I didn’t know who he was I wouldn’t have really Noticed him. On the other hand, J Williams really pops out. But who will be the better player for us, not sure from just this one practice.

I was at our practice yesterday and what I saw was encouraging. Biggest takeaway was the depth and speed of this team. If each player gives 100% - a 100% of the time, you need depth. This team is deep with athleticism and talent.
Another observation was the coaching staff. At one point, I was observing Coach knight on one end of the floor coaching offense and on the other end Coach Pike was teaching defense. That was impressive.
Cliff and Hyatt really looked great along with J. Williams and A. Williams.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I hate to sound negative here (I didn’t watch the practice) but if it turns out that one of the best player we would have (who won’t be eligible ) is a kid who averaged 9.5 ppg 2 years ago on a 17 win Temple team - that doesn’t sound all that promising… what am I missing?
My initial impression of J Williams is his game is more than just scoring. He looks athletic and physical with all-around skills.

I won’t give away what I saw there …but I’ll say this

1.) from 1 to 13, this is by far the most Athletic And physically put together basketball team we have had in a generation

2.) I can see totally see why coach Pike wants jerimah Williams on this roster .

Very optimistic …..
I‘m checking out a practice this week. Very much looking forward to seeing all of the new players for RU.

My initial impression of J Williams is his game is more than just scoring. He looks athletic and physical with all-around skills.
I’m not saying I think it’s a bad thing he could be a contributor. But if he’s the best all around player we have - that doesn’t sound too good considering his output for a mediocre Temple team. I understand players improve but, still.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
J Williams is one of many talented players on this team. He’s getting a lot of commentary because he’s new to the team and, therefore, sort of an unknown entity. With the addition of Gavin, JMike, Noah and the two Williams, and with our returning players (a few who may play bigger roles, i.e. Chol and Wolf) minus Paul and Cam, this team is undoubtedly more athletic and deeper than last year’s roster.

With all due respect, all season tickets holders had an opportunity to go and see for themselves....

Don't beat up on someone who wants to respect the program by not possibly overstepping like some others who get revered here.
Lol come on now. He can say "Player X looked good doing A,B,C." It's not like he is going to say "Well every time Pike called the play Zoom Wisconsin, they ran a great pin down screen and freed up this guy off a back door cut"

Lol come on now. He can say "Player X looked good doing A,B,C." It's not like he is going to say "Well every time Pike called the play Zoom Wisconsin, they ran a great pin down screen and freed up this guy off a back door cut"

Agreed. Carino provides all the same content. Not sure why our insider posters feel like they have to be tight lipped unless Pike explicitly said so.

Reactions: zebnatto
Unlikely, would need a waiver to be eligible and then he faces a half season NCAA suspension for the gambling issue at ISU.
The suspension piece seems to be TBD as well. I looked up the rules before and it seemed to be something like a half season. NJ.com had an article citing a full year

This is what posters were concerned about. Richie keeps saying in the pods that fans think what he did was a big deal, but I don't think most people care about what he did. It's whether or not it causes him to miss a full year or half year. Who cares if posters think gambling is bad or not? It's irrelevant

Then, the latest news is the NCAA might change the rule where first time offenders aren't suspended at all. If that's the case, keeping Williams is obviously a huge win. It changes everything.

Actually …the end of your posts …that’s exactly the type of stuff that I WOULD comment on …but not here.

We all get the same info from the beat reports …duh

But the stuff I look for …is different than that .

Anyone who trades messages with me will validate what I say above , but I don’t need that validation

Just appreciate an independent set of eyes looking for details looked at what we are and came away pretty happy ….

You're delusional. There were no " secrets" to conceal.
Ok. I’m delusional .

I have no idea on what I’m talking about

NOT

It’s a$$hole posts like this from you and others that make me and a lot of others who really like and care about Rutgers sports , and spefically, Rutgers basketball, to just stay off these forums…..

No -- it's more like certain fans want to act like they are " special" or know more than others. You protest too much.

It’s funny, the most “special-ist” one considers himself too important to even post here. LOL
You're a dumb ass. I have never contended I was " special " or acted like an " expert" about any sport. However, I do contend that those that are loyal to RU under any circumstance and donate what they can to help it's cause no matter what are " special". You can criticize me for that. You may be another who thinks his shyt doesn't stink if you think someone bragging or acting like attending that practice was special and provided " secrets" to those who attended. Wait a second maybe you're right ,I attended and was invited-- I am special.

You're a dumb ass. I have never contended I was " special " or acted like an " expert" about any sport. However, I do contend that those that are loyal to RU under any circumstance and donate what they can to help it's cause no matter what are " special". You can criticize me for that. You may be another who thinks his shyt doesn't stink if you think someone bragging or acting like attending that practice was special and provided " secrets" to those who attended. Wait a second maybe you're right ,I attended and was invited-- I am special.
I’m 99% sure FDNY was not referring to you as the one that considers themself too special to post here.

What's your deal? You're always an ass.

Funny thing is, he was referring to your sworn enemy and not you.

Give it a rest 66. Shack is a great fan and poster who brings good insights to the board.
It would shock him to learn that some fans actually do know more than others - that is not a disparagement, just a statement of fact. Takes a real fragile ego to be offended by that notion.

Reactions: TRU2RU
That post…

200.gif

Wasn’t you, as no one thinks that.😉

@High Quality H2O got it, and I think a few others did too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT