ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Is Mendoza throwing this one away ? It was clear Quintana was done at 4-3. Wtf

Today the Mets will use their 24th pitcher of the season, in their 33rd game.

One notable 2024 signing whom we haven't yet seen is Shintaro Fujinami. Here's why: In 7.2 innings over 9 appearances at Syracuse, he has walked 17. Seventeen! Add in 2 HBP, and that's 19 free passes in 7.2 innings. That's about two and a half per inning. That is almost incomprehensible.

Mets need a spot on the 40 man today. Fujinami has a guaranteed $3.35M contract. I wonder how much leeway he will get.

In addition to bringing up Scott, the Mets revolving bullpen door continues to spin. Nunez and Young down, Sulser back up.

BTW my prior post was incorrect. Mets did not need to make room on the 40 man for Scott. They had been at 39 due to the Zack Scott trade.

Also SIAP - Megill and Peterson have begun rehab assignments so they both should be back this month. Peterson is on the 60 day IL, so the earliest he can return is May 28 I think.

back to the future great scott GIF

Pete goes into these 25 at bat slumps where he swings at the same slider away over and over and over

Then one mistake and he hits 3 HR in 4 games

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Is it too much to let Scott get the last out of the inning? So he gave up a hit, but Tampa hasn't done sh*t against him.

Christian Scott with a tremendous first start. Welcome to the Mets where you pitch your ass off and get zero run support.

What a terrific major league debut. A lot of players on this team are gonna be Degrom'd. But im just glad he doesn't have to be worried about getting saddled with a loss after pitching so well.

Is it too much to let Scott get the last out of the inning? So he gave up a hit, but Tampa hasn't done sh*t against him.
I didnt have ANY ssue with getting him out there. He was approaching 100 pitches. Question if he had kept him in and the next batter hit a home run or gapper to give Tampa the lead would you have killed Mendoza for leaving him in too long?

Listening to the announcers in the first inning was painful. Saying everything he threw was basically wrong. Need to throw it out of the zone. You know what happens when you throw it out of the zone? Pitch count goes up, walks will happen etc etc… He showed he can throw it by them. Kid showed so much in his first outing

I didnt have ANY ssue with getting him out there. He was approaching 100 pitches. Question if he had kept him in and the next batter hit a home run or gapper to give Tampa the lead would you have killed Mendoza for leaving him in too long?
With the way the pitching staff has been the last few weeks, I trust Scott more than the others.

Agree to disagree on philosophy

You’re batting 210
Your team is 16-16
You haven’t won a damn thing to earn benefit of the doubt

3-0 pitch and you hit a weak ass roll over ground ball to second base

For a team full of veterans, the Mets act like they have never played baseball. This team is so fundamentally unsound on offense and defense.

Reactions: gmay8
Starters yes. Not the pen. As good as Garrett has been? And he came in and did what he's been doing all season up to now.
Garrett and Diaz are fine, but the rest of the pen scares me. In general, pitching for Mets was a crapshoot from the beginning.

For a team full of veterans, the Mets act like they have never played baseball. This team is so fundamentally unsound on offense and defense.
Players take on the image of the manager. I see the manager as an easy going guy who doesn't want to lose the buddy buddy relationship with the players.

Ottavino has been superb this year.

So has Diekman
As has Raley as well. His absence is a major loss.

Mets have used 16 relievers this year. Here are their ERA's. I know that these are small samples. I also know that for a relief pitcher, ERA is not the be all and end all. But here goes anyway. Stats include tonight's game.

Asterisks indicate currently on the active roster.

Brooks Raley - 0.00
** Sean Reid-Foley - 0.00
Josh Walker - 0.00
Danny Young - 0.00
** Reed Garrett - 0.54
** Edwin Diaz - 2.13
Tyler Jay - 2.25
** Jorge Lopez - 2.25
Drew Smith - 2.70
** Adam Ottavino - 2.92
** Jake Diekmann - 3.38
Dedniel Nunez - 4.26
Michael Tonkin - 5.14
Grant Hartwig - 6.00
** Cole Sulser - 9.82
Yohan Ramirez - 11.81

Again, small samples. But the bullpen as a whole, specifically the primary guys, have been VERY good.

I like Scott so far, no surprise. He seemed to have two viable pitches, his heater and the sweeper. The traditional slider was just OK, and he did almost nothing with his splitter, and the one I saw was weak.

The heater is regularly at 95-96 and seems to have late ride that hitters struggle with. He located well. He regularly got ahead. His sweeper is a good one too. But the show with him is the fastball. Whatever deception there is to it (that makers hitters struggle and makes Fox announcers like Wainwright garble on claiming that it feels like 106) needs to continue. We may eventually see why Scott was giving up dingers too.

But nice first start.

Pete Alonso stinks.

Back to back bases loaded 1 out at bats, zero to show.
Down to .209 for the season, Lindor has surpassed him.

I thought last season was due in part to the wrist, and maybe this is still due in part to that, but he's batting about .215 over his last 200 games. I know batting averages are down across baseball, but Pete at .209, Lindor at .212, McNeil at .235, Nimmo at .223, this is ugly baseball.

Reactions: gmay8
I was a huge need to sign Alonso now and then he started with a nice .275 ish with 40+ HR pace and now this...such a massive slump that even I am really not that upset even if they trade him at the deadline.

BTW- did we just give up 7 SB?

Reactions: ldwnmas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT