ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone have a still-working Video8 camcorder or player from the ‘90s?

WasatRutgers

Junior
Apr 18, 2005
I have about 10 years of Video8 tapes that I want to transfer to digital, but my early ‘90s camcorder doesn’t work. I’m not comfortable with LegacyBox or randos on ebay. Definitely trust fellow RU football fans, though!

I’ve used Legacy Box and was very pleased.
I also like doing some macroediting, which I think would be impossible with Legacybox since I’m unable to see what’s on the tapes, although I could do that after the conversion. What was the charge?

I bought one a few years ago that transfers VHS to DVD but now those are also obsolete. I was able to find a plug conversion to plug into HDMI but it’s definitely a Rube Goldberg setup
Yep, I have one of those that I’ve used to transfer VHS to digital, but I only had a handful of VHS tapes to transfer from the late ‘80s/early ‘90s.

Reactions: WasatRutgers
Interestingly, one of the tapes has the 1996 RU-ND experience, including the pep rally at the Joyce Center the night before, limo pickups to and from there, the cathedral, and the ND band playing RU songs on campus pre-game because the RU band didn’t go.

Interestingly, one of the tapes has the 1996 RU-ND experience, including the pep rally at the Joyce Center the night before, limo pickups to and from there, the cathedral, and the ND band playing RU songs on campus pre-game because the RU band didn’t go.
Oh, and of course tailgating with an RV we drove from CT/NJ

This board never disappoints. Some good responses that I may check out. My brother converted some family films from way back. I’ll check and see what he did.

That would be pretty cool to have.

That would be pretty cool to have.
Well, when I get it done, I’ll post some highlights. The Pep rally was crazy and packed because it was Lou Holtz’s last home game, plus for seniors and the last game in the old stadium before upward expansion.

I also like doing some macroediting, which I think would be impossible with Legacybox since I’m unable to see what’s on the tapes, although I could do that after the conversion. What was the charge?
I wish I could remember but I believe it was about $10 per vhs tape which may have even been a special rate. It’s not cheap but I have no equipment or patience for doing it myself. There are a bunch of options for cloud storage, flash drives etc that can alter the cost also.

I have about 10 years of Video8 tapes that I want to transfer to digital, but my early ‘90s camcorder doesn’t work. I’m not comfortable with LegacyBox or randos on ebay. Definitely trust fellow RU football fans, though!
We used Reminiscence, a local business run by a very nice, professional woman from Whippany, to transfer about 10 25-30 year old 8mm tapes to digital. Cost $400 and we were very happy with the work - you can pay less, but we wanted quality and someone local. You also get the tapes back, which some services don't offer.

We spent hours on Christmas watching a bunch of these with our son (they're mostly of him, but also include a ton of family members at parties and such) and his girlfriend, who had never seen them, and they loved it as did we.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT