ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Bar Harbor Maine Questions

jreinsdorf

All American
Jun 28, 2006
Hey guys/gals. Taking a motorcycle trip to Maine in August. Gonna hit a bunch of breweries on the way up the coast and spend one night in Bar Harbor before heading up to Moosehead Lake. Any suggestions on the best food (seafood/steaks) and bars would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys/gals. Taking a motorcycle trip to Maine in August. Gonna hit a bunch of breweries on the way up the coast and spent one night in Maine before heading up to Moosehead Lake. Any suggestions on the best food (seafood/steaks) and bars would be appreciated. Thanks

King Eider's, 2 Elm St, Damariscotta, ME 04543
Awesome seafood. Just awesome.
My coworker speaks so highly of Damariscotta. Can`t wait to pass through probably around mid day and grab a lobster roll at a place called Reds nearby I think. Shaws in New Harbor was mentioned as having great rolls too.

Check out New England Brewing in Woodbridge, CT outside New Haven and Trillium in Boston. Huge ratings on Beer Advocate.com.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
My coworker speaks so highly of Damariscotta. Can`t wait to pass through probably around mid day and grab a lobster roll at a place called Reds nearby I think. Shaws in New Harbor was mentioned as having great rolls too.
That whole area is awesome. be forewarned, it takes forever to get to bar harbor.

The Old Port in Portland has a ton of bars and restaurants. It might be too far south but its a great place to drink and eat.

You should check out Gritty's and Two Dollar Dewey's, both in Portland. If you know microbrews, you probably already know Gritty's. Dewey's, on the other hand, is just a fun place. Besides, Portland is a fine place to rest up before the final push up the coast.

You should check out Gritty's and Two Dollar Dewey's, both in Portland. If you know microbrews, you probably already know Gritty's. Dewey's, on the other hand, is just a fun place. Besides, Portland is a fine place to rest up before the final push up the coast.
Grittys was on the list thanx for the confirmation.

Yes Rt 1 can be a nightmare, especially heading into and out of Wiscasset and Bath.. The bridges are one lane so it can get backed up

Grittys in Freeport for sure - there is also the Cold River distillery in Freeport as well. Belfast Bay brewing in Belfast, Sea Dog in Bangor. In Bar Harbor there is Atlantic Brewing/Bar Harbor Brewing (they merged) as well as Maine Coast Brewing out of Jack Russell's on Route 3. Atlantic Brewing does tours and Bar Barbor Brewing has a shop in town with regular tastings. I lived in BHB for 3 years and vacation there regularly if you have any questions.

Make sure you stop at Reds in Wiscasset, they are always in the top ten lobster shacks in Maine. I was there 2 weeks ago. Best $20.50 lobster roll I ever had. Enjoy!

If you go to Deweys ($3 not $2) ask for the manager Tommy. He is a Cuse diehard but a great guy. While your at it tell him the Dolfins suck. When he asks who sent you just tell him a Rutgers buddy. It will get you a beer or two. If you can talk lacrosse even better.

If you go to Deweys ($3 not $2) ask for the manager Tommy. He is a Cuse diehard but a great guy. While your at it tell him the Dolfins suck. When he asks who sent you just tell him a Rutgers buddy. It will get you a beer or two. If you can talk lacrosse even better.

$3?! Must be inflation! Just kidding, that was a typo on my part.

So excited that folks know Damariscotta - my favorite place in the country.

Hit Shipyard Brewery in Portland on the way up.

King Eiders I'd dope.

Reactions: Piscataway
So excited that folks know Damariscotta - my favorite place in the country.

Hit Shipyard Brewery in Portland on the way up.

King Eiders I'd dope.

My friends family has a cabin on a small island (I believe it's called Hoe Island) in the lower part of Damariscotta Lake. We used to go there every summer when I lived in BHB and after as well though it's been a while now. Great place - the cabin was no frills - kerosene lanterns, wood stove, the only amenity was a propane refrigerator. Fall asleep listening to the loons. There was a sub shop in town called Zecchinos that had pretty good subs for New England....know King Eiders as well.

Last edited:
My folks had a place on Biscay Pond in Damariscotta for a bunch of years.. Amazing place, then they moved to a house on the ocean in Round Pond.. It is pretty cool that so many of the posters are familiar with this area

I recommend taking the Ferry to Monhegan Island, it's an island with a lot of history, an artist colony and a cool walk to the cliffs overlooking the ocean

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is also a great destination

The Bar Harbor Brewing Company is right outside the Acadia Park entrance. It's the guy's house and he gives free tours. The Cadillac Mountain Stout is great. I bought a case to bring back to NJ and cried after the last empty bottle because they didn't export across state lines (back in 2002) Just recently became reacquainted with the beer when we found It in a Hazlet liquor store. Still excellent!

The Bar Harbor Brewing Company is right outside the Acadia Park entrance. It's the guy's house and he gives free tours. The Cadillac Mountain Stout is great. I bought a case to bring back to NJ and cried after the last empty bottle because they didn't export across state lines (back in 2002) Just recently became reacquainted with the beer when we found It in a Hazlet liquor store. Still excellent!

Since they merged with Atlantic Brewing he no longer does the tours out of his house - they have a shop on Mt. Desert St. Atlantic Brewing near the head of the island off of Route 3 as you come onto MDI does do tours. I used to work with a guy a Jackson Lab who was a home brewer and a member of a group up there called the Down Yeasters. This guy made a maple porter using sap from maples that he tapped as well as maple syrup that he made himself. That was some good stuff! Wegmans liquor store in Woodbridge has started carrying Cadillac Mtn Stout and Thunder Hole Ale. Can't go wrong with either of them!!

Grittys in Freeport for sure - there is also the Cold River distillery in Freeport as well. Belfast Bay brewing in Belfast, Sea Dog in Bangor. In Bar Harbor there is Atlantic Brewing/Bar Harbor Brewing (they merged) as well as Maine Coast Brewing out of Jack Russell's on Route 3. Atlantic Brewing does tours and Bar Barbor Brewing has a shop in town with regular tastings. I lived in BHB for 3 years and vacation there regularly if you have any questions.
Any thoughts on the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound for dinner? Thanks. I was also interested in Mainly Meats BBQ but it just seems wrong to not eat a seafood dinner in BH.

That and Maine is huge. The coast is awesome so take your time.

Where are you leaving from?
Either getting on the bike from my door here in Howell NJ or if need be (schedule) I will start the motorcycle portion from Bentlys Saloon in Arundel after trailoring to Maine.

I recommend taking the Ferry to Monhegan Island, it's an island with a lot of history, an artist colony and a cool walk to the cliffs overlooking the ocean

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is also a great destination
Yes, the obligatory pic of my bike in front of the Pemaquid Lighthouse is a must for me.

Any thoughts on the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound for dinner? Thanks. I was also interested in Mainly Meats BBQ but it just seems wrong to not eat a seafood dinner in BH.

Trenton Bridge is very good and they generally have hard shell lobsters. However, our favorite lobster pound is Thurston's which is in Bernard on the SW harbor (quiet) side of the island. In addition to lobster they have a killer crab and corn chowder in addition to the standard clam chowder and of course lobster bisque. Jumbo lobster roll there is huge and also a good choice if you don't feel like crackin'. If you go to either one they will be crowded and there are lots of mosquitoes when you have to wait outside....but it is very nice as it's on the waterfront overlooking Bass Harbor. Thurston's also has complimentary bug repellent while you wait!! Really though you can't go wrong with either one as far as food though Thurston's is a bit more scenic as it's not on the highway.

Mainly Meats is pretty good - we usually go up for 2 weeks so work it in for a little variety but if you have limited time you may want to try other options. We usually hit Thurston's 2 or 3 times to put it in perspective. The Thirty Whale in BH was/is the local bar but they actually have good food too....a good place for lunch. Great haddock sandwich!

http://thurstonslobster.com/

$3?! Must be inflation! Just kidding, that was a typo on my part.
Definately is inflation. Since a Dewey is a term for getting laid and it used to cost $3 at the local brothel!!!! Can't find rates like that anymore.

All the lobster places kind of blend together for me, but I'd highly recommend breakfast, particularly blueberry pancakes, at "2 Cats" in Bar Harbor.

Great info on this thread. I used to spend part of the summer in Damariscotta every year for many years... Amazing area and a great way to experience all of the things you would want from Maine (woods/wilderness, seafood, quaint local downtown area).

I would second (or third) Red's, but expect a 45-minute wait outside in the sun.. Still worth it though. Also highly, highly recommend lobster from the Muscongous Bay lobster company in Round Pond - Extremely no-frills experience but some of the best and most affordable lobster you can get anywhere.

Maine Brewing Company on Rt 1 in Freeport, Maine has a tasting room that serves about 8 craft beers on tap and sells bottles. They are one of the top microbreweries on the East Coast. Their Lunch IPA is top rated.

Maine Brewing Company on Rt 1 in Freeport, Maine has a tasting room that serves about 8 craft beers on tap and sells bottles. They are one of the top microbreweries on the East Coast. Their Lunch IPA is top rated.

...and circling back to Freeport...forgot about Harasseeket Lunch and Lobster on the waterfront there!

Make sure you stop at Reds in Wiscasset, they are always in the top ten lobster shacks in Maine. I was there 2 weeks ago. Best $20.50 lobster roll I ever had. Enjoy!

Yes.. Lobster Shack eating is a must.

Lobster Shack Season story.. 20 places

I did the Haraseeket Lunch and Lobster thing a few times some time ago... good stuff. One time I shared a picnic table with some dude that had a line of empty beers in front of him. We found out that his job.. full time job with one month off.. was Snow Plow Operator. Then again, that could be something he told us tourists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT