ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Basement Gym

Why? Thanks!
I think it provides a better over-all work out. And unless you are just walking on the treadmill there is less stress on your joints. Also you can get a fairly inexpensive good rower for a lot less than a "good" treadmill and there is a lot less to go wrong on a rower.

If it’s dry definitely some rugs or carpet and cheap padding is a must imo. You want somewhere to stretch and do ab stuff comfortably. A place for music and or tv is a big plus. If you have a furnace and air handler down there it might make sense to put the equipment near it and if your ambitious wall it off as you will get some heat and cooling out of it and make your area more comfortable. Not a fan of treadmills or any of that other stuff. Super boring imo. A bench. Dumbbells. Use light weights of course at your age. Serious lifters have disdain for Bowflex but that’s the one thing I have that I really use. I’m older and it a very safe and versatile piece of equipment.

I would definitely go for a rower over a treadmill.
You use your arms more with the rower or Airdyne in getting your heart rate working.

My wife is also a fan of the Nordic track but she does it correctly. I just grab the handle and use my legs. She uses the rope and moves her arms.

We have a treadmill but walking outside is better. The treadmill is for weather related days.

It’s funny- the discussion has so much morphed outside of the OP.
OP is most likely north of 65 and forgive me if wrong- and only really wanted to know if there are good ideas or drawbacks to having a home gym in his dry unfinished basement and maybe ideas of how to make it work.
Talking of tge overhead soace, mats, etc is what he was looking for- don’t think he was thinking of chin ups lol
I listened.

And knowing the OP I knew what he was looking for.

It’s funny- age is only in your head.
I’m pushing 62 and my head tells me I’m 40. Ok, the body- I have no idea. My back is a mess, my hip, keeps me awake, etc…
But I walk my dogs 15 miles a week and do another 7-19 miles on my own. I do 2 miles at 4.0 but 10-12 incline on the treadmill and maybe 5 miles a week on the bike. I do kettle and dumbbell weights.
But, just 5 years ago- had a personal trainer 4 hours a week and was able to do crap I don’t even want to think about today. Lol
Just get a few remnants- workout mats and access your area.
Cushion is great- but overhead is the biggest concern. If you are flat and dry, then you should be good.
This is it right there in the bold. Moving.
Do balance exercises. It is essential for older people.

Things like just standing on one leg.
Big. My parents doctor used to tell them all the time, “you are not allowed to fall!” LOL

The older you get the worse a fall is. The results anyway.

Last edited:
Start simple and inexpensive.
- two sets of 5lb and 10 lb free weights
- two nice mats
- system to play music

You can get these from Amazon

Refer to HIIT workouts linked below

Obviously you’re going to tailor the workout to your physical condition. This is all you need.

If you find your needs are more substantial, you can always invest in more expensive stuff.

Might make sense to hire a trainer to come to your house and help you get started.

- two nice mats
- system to play music

Obviously you’re going to tailor the workout to your physical condition. This is all you need.

If you find your needs are more substantial, you can always invest in more expensive stuff.

Might make sense to hire a trainer to come to your house and help you get started.
Your suggestion of hiring a trainer makes a *lot* of sense -- thanks!

Reactions: rutgersal
All I can add is maybe retired might want to look at used exercise equipment bike, treadmill and equipment like that.
Don't know if used equipment would be the right price, but might worth checking out if a place that sells used exercise equipment and backs up what they sell can be found.
Picked up an Antique Schwinn Airdyne years ago for like 50 bucks. I see people spending thousands on fancy bikes that do the same thing.

Didn't have time to read through everything, so this may be redundant. But here's my suggestions, for whatever it's worth...

1. Maybe get a radon gas check (even if you had one done in the past). Be sure of adequate ventilation. Check for hidden molds or other stuff that can subtly (or not so subtly) affect one's health if breathed in too frequently.

2. I agree with those who advocate for a simple bench and dumbells versus machines or bars, etc. Just a flat, strong, well-padded bench. One that can be raised on an incline can be useful, but not really needed. No need for leg or barbell racks. Long experience has taught me to greatly prefer fixed-weight dumbbells to adjustable ones (no time-wasting with plates and fasteners). A set of fixed-weight dumbbells from very light to more than heavy enough is inexpensive.

3. A set of varying tension resistance bands are great for adding a different type of resistance training that can help fill muscle-group gaps that might otherwise require expensive equipment. There's a practically unlimited set of exercises one can do with bands. For example, a strong-resistance band can provide all the leg-press exercise you'll ever need. And bands can be healthier to use for middle-age and older folks than some other forms of resistance training. If you can mount rings on the walls (at ankle-height, mid-body height, and head-level) helps expand the range of exercises to be done with the bands.

4. I agree with those who mentioned having some sort of static aerobic machine (static bike, treadmill, stair-climber, rower). One or two of those, in combination with bench/dumbbells and resistance bands is probably plenty for basic fitness needs.

I had to dig some holes in my basement. Poured cement over them after filling them in. A basement gym on the new concrete is a good idea...

Reactions: retired711
- two nice mats
- system to play music

Might make sense to hire a trainer to come to your house and help you get me

Didn't have time to read through everything, so this may be redundant. But here's my suggestions, for whatever it's worth...

1. Maybe get a radon gas check (even if you had one done in the past). Be sure of adequate ventilation. Check for hidden molds or other stuff that can subtly (or not so subtly) affect one's health if breathed in too frequently.

2. I agree with those who advocate for a simple bench and dumbells versus machines or bars, etc. Just a flat, strong, well-padded bench. One that can be raised on an incline can be useful, but not really needed. No need for leg or barbell racks. Long experience has taught me to greatly prefer fixed-weight dumbbells to adjustable ones (no time-wasting with plates and fasteners). A set of fixed-weight dumbbells from very light to more than heavy enough is inexpensive.

3. A set of varying tension resistance bands are great for adding a different type of resistance training that can help fill muscle-group gaps that might otherwise require expensive equipment. There's a practically unlimited set of exercises one can do with bands. For example, a strong-resistance band can provide all the leg-press exercise you'll ever need. And bands can be healthier to use for middle-age and older folks than some other forms of resistance training. If you can mount rings on the walls (at ankle-height, mid-body height, and head-level) helps expand the range of exercises to be done with the bands.

4. I agree with those who mentioned having some sort of static aerobic machine (static bike, treadmill, stair-climber, rower). One or two of those, in combination with bench/dumbbells and resistance bands is probably plenty for basic fitness needs.
#1 is especially vital, but everything in your post makes a lot of sense.

- two nice mats
- system to play music

Your suggestion of hiring a trainer makes a *lot* of sense -- thanks!

@rutgersal makes a good point with regard to music if you don’t do the TV down there.

The trainer to you is a good idea as well. Before COVID both my parents went to the Atlantic Club and they each had their own trainer.

After the shutdown and when things returned to normal my Mom has someone come to her 2x a week after my Dad passed.

Something to consider with your wife’s health issues.

@rutgersal makes a good point with regard to music if you don’t do the TV down there.

The trainer to you is a good idea as well. Before COVID both my parents went to the Atlantic Club and they each had their own trainer.

After the shutdown and when things returned to normal my Mom has someone come to her 2x a week after my Dad passed.

Something to consider with your wife’s health issues.
if you can get a trainer to come to your home- it is the best money ever spend. A few years back- I used to go to the gym a good 4-5 times a week. did well and stayed inshape- or though, I thought.
The wife and I decided to try using a trainer at a 24/7 fitness gym. We happened to decide on this little 5ft tall 100lb Turkish girl who looked like a gymnast.
Girl was like a drill Sgt and worked you based on an initial assessment. twice a week for an hour. And in 5 weeks- I was in the best shape of my life without lifting anything heavy at all- but in that hour- i was sweating like I never did in my life either. Just don't hire someone because they look all jacked, because that is not what you want.

My wife and I both need to get more exercise and, because one of us is immunocompromised, we would prefer not to use a gym regularly. We have an unfinished basement that runs under about half the house. I had a French drain installed a few years and there is a sump pump and so the basement is dry. I am thinking of converting into a place for exercise equipment. What should I be thinking about in deciding whether to do this?
Mine is in my basement too. Problem is a bit out of site out of mind.
Air..need a dehumidifier?
Ceiling? Soundproof insulation? ( When one of us is using treadmill and tv on loud can be heard pretty good thru the floor. Can be bothersome for person above.
As noted what goes down isn't easy to come up.... AND that includes my old ass these days so keep in mind the continued stair factor as you age.

Mine is in my basement too. Problem is a bit out of site out of mind.
Air..need a dehumidifier?
Ceiling? Soundproof insulation? ( When one of us is using treadmill and tv on loud can be heard pretty good thru the floor. Can be bothersome for person above.
As noted what goes down isn't easy to come up.... AND that includes my old ass these days so keep in mind the continued stair factor as you age.
The stair factor is an important one -- we'll need to think about how to deal with it.

My wife and I both need to get more exercise and, because one of us is immunocompromised, we would prefer not to use a gym regularly. We have an unfinished basement that runs under about half the house. I had a French drain installed a few years and there is a sump pump and so the basement is dry. I am thinking of converting into a place for exercise equipment. What should I be thinking about in deciding whether to do this?
Make sure you have enough height/head room in the basement for certain types of equipment when you are using them.

Make sure you have enough height/head room in the basement for certain types of equipment when you are using them.
We are lucky our basement foundation is 9 feet. We have a finished basement in most of the area but keep certain equipment in the unfinished area for the headroom

Reactions: T2Kplus20
the-irony-irony.gif

IYKYK😉

there are many used treadmills,pelotons,benches and free weights on Facebook marketplace if you want to buy a used piece and confirm how often you are going to use before buying new equipment.. frankly i thought the most important item was a wall mounted tv or bluetooth speaker for entertainment while working out...i still have an old DVD/TV combo that i periodically use with programs in addition to other programs ...

As others have mentioned (including myself)…real walking is best. Goes for Vitamin D as well…outside with the Sun better than a pill. But IMO if you can fit one, the wider and longer the treadmill the better.

Same for the mats…wider and thicker is better too.

Similar to a lot of posters above, I have a finished basement that we turned into a gym. I have an Olympic weight set/curl bar/dumbells, treadmill and spin bike. We have the interlocking padded floor, yoga mats and kick boxing bag. Large screen TV is key. I have always trained using all the equipment but sort got bored lately. Wasn’t a big user of the spin bike prior but have exclusively used it since January 2nd. I have dropped 17 lbs and my cardio is great now. We use the Peleton app (but we have a non-Peleton spin studio bike). I am a believer now in spin classes after skiing 5 straight days for over 6 hours each day and not even feeling like I skied after the trip was over.

Key to fitness at your age is to just start getting 20-30 minutes of exercise every day. Make sure it becomes a routine. Then you can add different activities exercises types as needed.

Also make sure you add stretching.

I have the chair I referenced earlier, and I also have a plastic thing that is for stretching your calf. It looks like a brake cylinder. I have used it for over 30 years.

It's called a Prostretch

Here is the chair which is a poor description. I paid $100 to a gym that was closing.

Last edited:
Key to fitness at your age is to just start getting 20-30 minutes of exercise every day. Make sure it becomes a routine. Then you can add different activities exercises types as needed.
Movement. Like I mentioned when responding to a @yesrutgers01 post yesterday.

Treadmill or recumbent bike (with a TV in front of you) on a lousy day outside. Your own two feet, one in front of the other, once we get some good weather.

And as others have said too…good shoes/sneakers.

I didn't read through this thread but get some 5, 10 & 15 pound kettlebells. You will be amazed what type of workout from YouTube you can watch and learn....

Listen I think they are great but old people have certain issues.

Shoulders for one
If you’re going to pick out a body part that oldsters ( like myself) have issues with, why stop at shoulders. Elbows, hips, back, neck….the solution for pull-ups is that you have multiple grips that you can use to avoid pain in those body parts.
You also use shoulders in most upper body exercises -you can’t avoid bc you have pain/soreness.

Pull-ups are difficult for people our age.

Yup, that's the truth. If someone hasn't been doing pullups, it's damn hard to pick it up as your body ages. Also, if someone hasn't been keeping their shoulders strong, i.e., working the major and minor parts of their shoulders, starting out doing pullups is not a good idea.

If you’re going to pick out a body part that oldsters ( like myself) have issues with, why stop at shoulders. Elbows, hips, back, neck….the solution for pull-ups is that you have multiple grips that you can use to avoid pain in those body parts.
You also use shoulders in most upper body exercises -you can’t avoid bc you have pain/soreness.
I found the stress on my shoulders much more when doing pullups. I gave up dips because of my elbows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT