ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon/Whiskey

Yes the Signet is fantastic. Im actually having a dram of it right now. It is in one of my favorites. It has a taste to it that I dont find in any other scotch. Some kind of cocoa malt. I never had the Macallen 18 Triple Cask so I cant speak on that. I have had other Macallens and they tast kinda similar to me, mostly sherry bombs, but IMO nothing else I tasted is similar to the Signet. Let us know how you like if you try it.
better'd be absolute amazing if its selling for $200+ lol

I bought a bottle of Rock Hill Farms at a liquor store in Marlboro a few years ago for ~$45 - $50. Went to buy another and they are now charging $399! Looked online and can't find anything under $299. Where do they get these prices?

I bought a bottle of Rock Hill Farms at a liquor store in Marlboro a few years ago for ~$45 - $50. Went to buy another and they are now charging $399! Looked online and can't find anything under $299. Where do they get these prices?

Blanton's was regularly $59. I saw it at a liqour store tonight for $125

Secondary prices. Probably an independent store that Sazarac allocated a couple of BT products after agreeing to buy a few cases of Fireball and Dr. McGillicuddy. Gotta make their money back on the few bottle people are hunting for.

Last week I lucked out and picked up a Stagg Jr. at retail, but lots of reports of gouging even though this latest batch seems to be pretty obtainable compared to past releases.

My tastes aren't fancy. Usually enjoy Jameson in cold months. But just had some plain old Jim Beam recently and enjoyed it. Straight up, of course.

Have been sipping on Longbranch (Matthew McConaughey's bourbon) and Angels Envy recently. phenomenal.

Secondary prices. Probably an independent store that Sazarac allocated a couple of BT products after agreeing to buy a few cases of Fireball and Dr. McGillicuddy. Gotta make their money back on the few bottle people are hunting for.

Last week I lucked out and picked up a Stagg Jr. at retail, but lots of reports of gouging even though this latest batch seems to be pretty obtainable compared to past releases.

You mind telling where you found the Stagg Jr.

You mind telling where you found the Stagg Jr.

ShopRite Liquor in Westfield. I just happened to be there when it was just delivered. Pure luck. This was around 3pm, One case gone by 7. But from social media, I can see that cases were popping up at retail everywhere last week.

Reactions: RutgersUnion
My tastes aren't fancy. Usually enjoy Jameson in cold months. But just had some plain old Jim Beam recently and enjoyed it. Straight up, of course.
It had been a couple of years since I had some Jim Beam so I bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black. It was very good for less than $30 and I bought a 2nd bottle when finished.

I bought a case of Parkers-Heritage Collection 11th edition 11 year old single barrel bourbon for some gifts. I know nothing about this stuff. Is it any good?

Thanks!!

I bought a case of Parkers-Heritage Collection 11th edition 11 year old single barrel bourbon for some gifts. I know nothing about this stuff. Is it any good?

Thanks!!

You found a case of it? I've never seen a liquor store have more then one. I've never had it, but it is highly sought after and difficult to find. At least in NJ it is hard to find. If you do find it in NJ, the price is usually something ridiculous like $400 per bottle. I think msrp is $130-$150. How much do they charge in Nebraska?

You found a case of it? I've never seen a liquor store have more then one. I've never had it, but it is highly sought after and difficult to find. At least in NJ it is hard to find. If you do find it in NJ, the price is usually something ridiculous like $400 per bottle. I think msrp is $130-$150. How much do they charge in Nebraska?

I talked to the people at the place I was ordering it from. Continental Wine & Spirits in NYC. They thought they could do it for me but as you said they only had 1 bottle on hand. I ordered it shipped and had to make a guarantee deposit for getting the rest. I’m assuming they are on a search mission then if it’s hard to find. I won’t get my hopes up. Ha. And yes it was pricey.

I know nothing about this type thing except when it’s in a glass I make it disappear.

I found a bottle of E.H. Taylor Jr. SiB for $90. Worth it? Has anybody tried it compared to the SmB.

I think I paid around that for mine if I recall correctly. Some people love it. I though it drank a little hotter than 100 proof. For me personally, I probably would not buy again. I also have the EHT straight rye, which I like better.

Reactions: RutgersUnion
Every winter for St. Patrick's Day, I soak oak chips in Irish whiskey, then brew a stout, and condition the beer on the oak chips. We use the same recipe every year, same grain and hop bill as River Horse's Craic, except Craic only uses Jameson barrels and they add vanilla. We leave out the vanilla and use better whiskey, a different one every year.

Last night I began soaking the oak chips, so I finished off the last of the whiskey used in our 2020 batch, Writer's Tears, and tried the whiskey we're using for our 2021 batch, Dingle. I'm not an expert on reviewing whiskey, but I can at least say that Writer's Tears did have a very nice taste but was a bit harsh. Dingle is smoother but as someone who isn't really into wine, the flavor imparted from sherry and port casks is more prominent than I prefer.

I also picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan, haven't tried it yet though.

can someone tell me what the deal is with VanWinkle bourbon. I have a friend who collects the stuff. Me, I prefer to drink my bourbon, scotch or other hard alcohol.

can someone tell me what the deal is with VanWinkle bourbon. I have a friend who collects the stuff. Me, I prefer to drink my bourbon, scotch or other hard alcohol.

I feel like PVW is sorta like a Kardashian. They are famous for being famous and have millions of followers and I wouldn't be able to explain exactly why. I'm not sure "marketing" is the correct word, but culturally it has spread to become the most famous bourbon appearing in movies (The Internship) and TV (Anthony Bourdain). Having said that, I've had the PVW 15 and it is very good. Also, not a lot of bourbons have age statements anymore, so having a 15 yr or 23yr makes them stand out among the crowd. Is it worth $1,000 a bottle? Not to me, but people who collect and want that "trophy" will pay for it.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
My son gave me a bottle of Aberlour A-Bundah Original Cask Strength for Christmas... anyone have insight/experience? It’s a non-peated Speyside single malt. I plan to sample it during the Rutgers-purdue game tomorrow.

My son gave me a bottle of Aberlour A-Bundah Original Cask Strength for Christmas... anyone have insight/experience? It’s a non-peated Speyside single malt. I plan to sample it during the Rutgers-purdue game tomorrow.
Yes very good. A sherry bomb, you will definitely be able to tell its cask strength.

Cambridge Liquor in Marlboro has Midwinter Night Dram Act 8 Scene 3 behind the counter.
$130 is probably half of what I would pay in the city...if I could even find it.

Reactions: Postman_1
Surprised I haven’t noticed this thread yet as I am a whiskey guy.

My absolute favorite is Sagamore Spirit Rye, from Baltimore, Maryland. Incredibly smooth!

Whiskey is about to get cheaper starting tomorrow

@DJ Spanky

World's Oldest Bottle Of Whiskey Sells For $137,000

Carbon dating of the liquid inside the bottle determined it was produced at some point between 1763 to 1803 with 81.1% certainty, confirming its title as the oldest in existence.

Damn, I knew I liked you for some reason!
icon_mrgreen_zps1e660791.gif

How you doin'?
I still like Ardbeg and Maker's Mark.....

Does anyone remember when Olde Queens got a small batch bourbon collection that was hanging on the wall behind the bar? It had Bookers, Bakers, Makers, and Knob Creek. Circa 1995.

Eagle Rare is 10 year old Buffalo Trace.

PvW is 15 - 23 year old Buffalo Trace.

If you really want to drink some PvW, then go to Midwest Barrel, get a "Used once / dumped" Buffalo Trace barrel, buy 250 bottles of Buffalo Trace, pour it into the barrel and leave it sit for another decade or so.

Eagle Rare is 10 year old Buffalo Trace.

PvW is 15 - 23 year old Buffalo Trace.

If you really want to drink some PvW, then go to Midwest Barrel, get a "Used once / dumped" Buffalo Trace barrel, buy 250 bottles of Buffalo Trace, pour it into the barrel and leave it sit for another decade or so.

Oof, back to bourbon school for you.

ER and BT are both sourced from BT Mashbill #1, the low rye mashbill (as opposed to the higher rye Mashbill #2 of Blanton's). Pappy is from the wheated mash bill, along with the Weller line.

I'm not saying the BTAC collection or the Pappy's aren't overhyped, but you're definitely not getting Pappy from aging Buffalo Trace because they use different grains. You might get an ER18 or something comparable, though.

Oof, back to bourbon school for you.

ER and BT are both sourced from BT Mashbill #1, the low rye mashbill (as opposed to the higher rye Mashbill #2 of Blanton's). Pappy is from the wheated mash bill, along with the Weller line.

I'm not saying the BTAC collection or the Pappy's aren't overhyped, but you're definitely not getting Pappy from aging Buffalo Trace because they use different grains. You might get an ER18 or something comparable, though.

I did not know that they used different mash bills, and am now edumacated!

Reactions: CranfordKnight
Incidentally, I did a tour & tasting at Great Jones in lower Manhattan on Saturday. For those who like gear, their double-column / copper pot combo built by Vendome is spectacular. Also really good is their 4 grain bourbon. They have a 100% rye that's pretty solid - not quite as smooth as Koval's (which I don't think is 100% rye) but definitely not as hot as some of the more popular ryes.

I usually drink scotch but when I am in the mood for bourbon I enjoy Angel's Envy and Barton 1792 Full Proof. Angel's Envy is aged 8 1/2 years including a finish in Port Barrels. I love me some port finished whiskies. Both are worthy of a taste or two. For those interested, Angel's Envy was the creation of Bourbon HOFer Lincoln Henderson and his son.

I usually drink scotch but when I am in the mood for bourbon I enjoy Angel's Envy and Barton 1792 Full Proof. Angel's Envy is aged 8 1/2 years including a finish in Port Barrels. I love me some port finished whiskies. Both are worthy of a taste or two. For those interested, Angel's Envy was the creation of Bourbon HOFer Lincoln Henderson and his son.

I'm a fan of Angel's Envy Bourbon, but I love, love, love Angel's Envy Rye, Probably the most unique rye on the market. It's finished in Caribbean Rum casks and has an almost syrupy mouthfeel. It's all molasses and maple on the palate. A great dessert whisky. Not a fan of the 1792 products. I found 1792 FP to be straight heat, no flavor, although most are barrel picks so I might have gotten a bad one.

I'm a fan of Angel's Envy Bourbon, but I love, love, love Angel's Envy Rye, Probably the most unique rye on the market. It's finished in Caribbean Rum casks and has an almost syrupy mouthfeel. It's all molasses and maple on the palate. A great dessert whisky. Not a fan of the 1792 products. I found 1792 FP to be straight heat, no flavor, although most are barrel picks so I might have gotten a bad one.
Maybe the 125 proof is too much for your palate? Sometimes I add two teaspoons of water to bring it down to around 100 proof and I find the flavor enjoyable. Also, I find it is best when you let it rest for 30 minutes before drinking it neat otherwise the heat overwhelms the flavor.

Maybe the 125 proof is too much for your palate? Sometimes I add two teaspoons of water to bring it down to around 100 proof and I find the flavor enjoyable. Also, I find it is best when you let it rest for 30 minutes before drinking it neat otherwise the heat overwhelms the flavor.
Actually the opposite. I mostly drink high proof bourbons straight, so it's disappointing when there is so little flavor. Stuff like Old Forester Single Barrel and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof blow 1792 away in my book. If you can find Larceny Barrel Proof it's amazing. No water needed.

Actually the opposite. I mostly drink high proof bourbons straight, so it's disappointing when there is so little flavor. Stuff like Old Forester Single Barrel and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof blow 1792 away in my book. If you can find Larceny Barrel Proof it's amazing. No water needed.

There's a pretty good reason why high-proof bourbons tend to not have as much flavor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT