ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Musk Neuralink

Lol not to make it super political but #facts

20240130-194218.jpg
An accurate portrayal of some hilariously inconsistent populist thinking.

I don't see how that is political. It's not denigrating or complimenting any party or ideology.

The meme just points out a clear example of the sort of logical inconsistency that occurs when people (of any political denomination) allow themselves to be led around on a leash by their chosen media/information sources, rather than thinking for themselves. That sort of thing is becoming more and more common.

I am kind of fascinated by this phenomenon of apparent mindlessness combined with a near total lack of self-awareness. People argue these positions that are polar opposites of positions they argued not too long ago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize such obvious inconsistency; even people of average or below-average intelligence can recognize it.

So there must be something else taking place that prevents certain types of people from rejecting the inescapably obvious logical fallacies. Is it taking place at a conscious level? Subconscious? What?

Another curiosity is that people who adopt these logical inconsistencies seem strangely deluded into thinking they can just deny away the inconsistency as if it's not super obvious to everyone who doesn't share the same inexplicable attachment to the particular logical fallacy. I mean, it's one thing to arrive at wholly inconsistent opposite conclusions about effectively similar things. It's quite another to have it pointed out and somehow think saying "nope, nope, la la la la I'm not listening" causes the actual facts to evaporate.

Is this just an American thing? Or are people all over the world struggling in the same way?

Yes take politics out of it it could have been a serious discussion. As @mdk01 said the possibility to see LeGrand stand up and walk off MetLife turf was my first thought too. Derailed from the beginning.
Derailed to a page #4. And to think, all I said in that opening line was the left hates Musk and they will probably trash this thread. Guess what, you and them are so predictable, so now would be a great time for you or other Janes or Marys to cry to the mods and lock it up. PS. I hope Musk hits a HR and people all around the world will sing his praises that they or family members can walk,talk and live better lives. Go ahead and trash that because many think Musk is the boogey man and took away Twitter X from the Democratic propaganda machine.PS. Will your President ever have another press conference to inform and calm the American public that he's got the Middle East which is on fire under control, or even though our border isn't secure sleeper cells aren't hiding in every major city and how about not telling Iran where our strikes will come so they can't run and hide in bunkers?So one last thing, you guys call Trump a Hitler, yet he trails Hitler 6 million to zero and has Jewish Grandkids which Hitler would have gassed. Don't take the "over" if you think Trump is worse than Hitler.The modern day Hitler isn't Trump you fools, it's the professors that teach Israel and Jewish hate across this country at every major University.

Last edited:
Treasure is absolutely not the correct word. That kind of cultish adoration for other humans is a very, very bad idea. People who exhibit that sort of thinking are demonstrating evidence of psychological issues. Our nation has a widespread mental health problem right now in how so many people are forming these worshipful attachments to politicians and other public figures.

A much better, much more healthy example of a national treasure would be our constitution, the importance of which dwarfs the impact any individual could ever have on our national well-being. Our history books tend to glorify certain individuals by promoting their purportedly good deeds while glossing over their imperfections. But some of the most positively impactful people in our nation's history go entirely unnoticed in history books or news/media stories. One obvious example being special forces personnel or intelligence field agents whose work involves daily risk of torture and death.

Is someone really gonna claim Musk, a businessman of no demonstrated selflessness whatsoever, whose efforts are clearly intended to earn him billions of dollars, is more of a national treasure than the individuals who risk their lives, for no personal reward to speak of, to protect our way of life? Give me a break.

I agree we need people like Gates, Jobs, Musk, etc. But national treasure? Not even close.
I agree - bad choice of words. But his accomplishments have been great for our country.

An accurate portrayal of some hilariously inconsistent populist thinking.

I don't see how that is political. It's not denigrating or complimenting any party or ideology.

The meme just points out a clear example of the sort of logical inconsistency that occurs when people (of any political denomination) allow themselves to be led around on a leash by their chosen media/information sources, rather than thinking for themselves. That sort of thing is becoming more and more common.

I am kind of fascinated by this phenomenon of apparent mindlessness combined with a near total lack of self-awareness. People argue these positions that are polar opposites of positions they argued not too long ago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize such obvious inconsistency; even people of average or below-average intelligence can recognize it.

So there must be something else taking place that prevents certain types of people from rejecting the inescapably obvious logical fallacies. Is it taking place at a conscious level? Subconscious? What?

Another curiosity is that people who adopt these logical inconsistencies seem strangely deluded into thinking they can just deny away the inconsistency as if it's not super obvious to everyone who doesn't share the same inexplicable attachment to the particular logical fallacy. I mean, it's one thing to arrive at wholly inconsistent opposite conclusions about effectively similar things. It's quite another to have it pointed out and somehow think saying "nope, nope, la la la la I'm not listening" causes the actual facts to evaporate.

Is this just an American thing? Or are people all over the world struggling in the same way?
It's not unique to America. Despots for a long time have made use of it. The reality is that most Americans tend to be somewhat varied in their attitude about different issues; it's only the very loud 15% on either side that tends to be mindlessly locked in to the party line. I think DeSantis learned the hard way that even Republican primary voters aren't all entirely on board with "fighting woke" and using state government to punish Disney. But because the loud minorities are so loud and pushy they make it sound like everyone else agrees. On the other hand, that large number of people in the middle are not without blame for letting it happen or, more frequently, for being apathetic and not taking their democracy seriously, or not informing themselves and instead wasting countless hours watching stupid videos on TikTok and stupid MrBeast crap.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I agree - bad choice of words. But his accomplishments have been great for our country.
He is quite accomplished. And I think Space X, along with other space programs across the world, are probably very important to humanity, not just our country. So for that, I'm grateful for Musk and all the others out there who push space technology forward despite the enormous cost of doing so.

But as for Tesla and the robotics and AI stuff, they are just businesses like any other businesses in terms of their benefit to the United States. Not so much great for our country as great for Musk and his businesses. In terms of benefit to the country, one could argue that the manufacturers who build our military combat vehicles are far more great for our country than Tesla at the moment. Although they too have a profit motive driving it, not any kind of altruism.

I have no particular issue with Musk. He's smart and hard-working. Arrogant and narcissistic, but I don't much care about that. He's not been very charitable, so far, considering his wealth. But it tooks Gates , for example, quite a while to start doing some good w/his enormous wealth. So, I would guess that at some point Musk will put aside work and focus on using his immense wealth to help others too. It's ultimately a way more rewarding thing to do for almost everyone but sociopaths.

I just don't place him, or any other human in history, on a pedestal. We humans are all far too deeply flawed for it to be healthy placing any of us on pedestals.

It's not unique to America. Despots for a long time have made use of it. The reality is that most Americans tend to be somewhat varied in their attitude about different issues; it's only the very loud 15% on either side that tends to be mindlessly locked in to the party line. I think DeSantis learned the hard way that even Republican primary voters aren't all entirely on board with "fighting woke" and using state government to punish Disney. But because the loud minorities are so loud and pushy they make it sound like everyone else agrees. On the other hand, that large number of people in the middle are not without blame for letting it happen or, more frequently, for being apathetic and not taking their democracy seriously, or not informing themselves and instead wasting countless hours watching stupid videos on TikTok and stupid MrBeast crap.
Thankfully, it's certainly true that the CE obsessive mentality of endlessly chasing your "enemy" on a mousewheel exists only as a loud but distinct minority.

Most truly independent people I know reject allegiance to parties or ideologies because they don't require any group confirmation of their views. They typically avoid making broadly stereotyped demonizing statements. They don't put politicians of any flavor on a pedestal. And it's unusual for them to engage in demonization of specific politicians. They usually vote for "least bad" candidates, regardless of party.

The truly apathetic to which you refer aren't in the political center. They're nowhere at all. They don't think or care about any of this, let alone vote.

And another post goes political. When will it end?

Never. The political posts get more page clicks, so there's incentive to leave them be.
It seems the site owner is okay with it now. Not sure why.

In my defense, in all my posts, I'm not posting anything actually political, not taking any political sides at all. I'm mostly just saying why I think it's so dumb for people to engage in these endless political pissing matches, online or otherwise.

I'm combating polarization. Or trying to, anyway.

Thankfully, it's certainly true that the CE obsessive mentality of endlessly chasing your "enemy" on a mousewheel exists only as a loud but distinct minority.

Most truly independent people I know reject allegiance to parties or ideologies because they don't require any group confirmation of their views. They typically avoid making broadly stereotyped demonizing statements. They don't put politicians of any flavor on a pedestal. And it's unusual for them to engage in demonization of specific politicians. They usually vote for "least bad" candidates, regardless of party.

The truly apathetic to which you refer aren't in the political center. They're nowhere at all. They don't think or care about any of this, let alone vote.

Now he's going after the folks middle as well as on the right. Do they call that mission creep?

Reactions: bac2therac
Monkey Peanuts GIF

Now he's going after the folks middle as well as on the right. Do they call that mission creep?
I have some friends and family (folks from both sides of the aisle) who get annoyed with me for not taking sides between the two major parties. A lot of accusations of false equivalences. They are deeply suspicious of me for not sharing their ideological hatreds.

But each side has its significant warts. And neither side is as bad as the opposite side believes. Mostly, I think, because most people are privately far more moderate than their side’s extremists. Which is kinda what he was saying, I think. At least in part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT