ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for knowledgeable Mets fans:

The word on the street is Manny Machado will opt out of his current deal and sign a new one with the Padres for $350 million over 11 years. Are the Padres tying their hands, and will that prevent them from signing Juan Soto after this season? They are a small market team that doesn't have unlimited resources to sign every top tier play to big contracts. Should the Mets make a play for Soto next year since he'll only be 25 y/o? And doesn't this impact the Mets from going after Ohtani?
Long story short yes they should take a look at Soto if he hits FA. Top 10 player in the game. Rumor is the Pads might try and trade Tatis and then they would make a play to keep Soto. Will be an interesting storyline to follow this year. Pads are spending like a big money team so maybe they keep everyone, who knows.

Mets aren't going to have a superstar at every position. Hard to say if they would value Ohtani or Soto more. Eppler obviously has connection to Ohtani already. They still need to extend Alonso. Cohen will spend but there is a limit at some point.

Long story short yes they should take a look at Soto if he hits FA. Top 10 player in the game. Rumor is the Pads might try and trade Tatis and then they would make a play to keep Soto. Will be an interesting storyline to follow this year. Pads are spending like a big money team so maybe they keep everyone, who knows.

Mets aren't going to have a superstar at every position. Hard to say if they would value Ohtani or Soto more. Eppler obviously has connection to Ohtani already. They still need to extend Alonso. Cohen will spend but there is a limit at some point.
I hate to say it, but I would pull a Braves' move and quickly sign Pete to a contract at under-market value for eight years. Eat the last two years of arbitration. Also, PED dude's salary is off the books after the season. That's $20+ million available for an active player.

I'm guessing he heads north when the Mets break camp. Overlooked but not by me.
155102233_1720223418158577_6235747014468988449_n.jpg

I hate to say it, but I would pull a Braves' move and quickly sign Pete to a contract at under-market value for eight years. Eat the last two years of arbitration. Also, PED dude's salary is off the books after the season. That's $20+ million available for an active player.
They need to do anything the can to lock up Pete this year- Though, it will still take $30+ on an extension even with buying out his remaining 2 years.

Question for knowledgeable Mets fans:

The word on the street is Manny Machado will opt out of his current deal and sign a new one with the Padres for $350 million over 11 years. Are the Padres tying their hands, and will that prevent them from signing Juan Soto after this season? They are a small market team that doesn't have unlimited resources to sign every top tier play to big contracts. Should the Mets make a play for Soto next year since he'll only be 25 y/o? And doesn't this impact the Mets from going after Ohtani?
I believe we see the Met's go all in on one of these two guys with MM off the board.
Myself- I would prefer Ohtani even with Soto being so young. I just sort of don't like Soto.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
They need to do anything the can to lock up Pete this year- Though, it will still take $30+ on an extension even with buying out his remaining 2 years.
The Mets could be waiting for Cano's money to come off the books along with Cookie, Canha, and Escobar (the total of all four is $ 56 million). That makes it an easier pill to swallow when signing Pete to a $30 million contract and pursue others.

No other 1B making $30 million. I'd look at Olson's deal (8 years $168 million) with the Braves and Freeman with the Dodgers (6 years $162 million) as the comps. Alonso in between them as a player and same age as Olson when he signed. Freeman was older but also coming off an MVP. Maybe with inflation give somewhat more but don't think a 1B gets $30 million AAV yet.

No other 1B making $30 million. I'd look at Olson's deal (8 years $168 million) with the Braves and Freeman with the Dodgers (6 years $162 million) as the comps. Alonso in between them as a player and same age as Olson when he signed. Freeman was older but also coming off an MVP. Maybe with inflation give somewhat more but don't think a 1B gets $30 million AAV yet.
The Braves always pay less (Olson: $21 million) than the market... cheap bastards. Freeman is on the high end at $27 million, so it's possible Pete could get something in the middle, like $24-25 million. Then again, considering where salaries are headed, $30 million is not that far off. Who would have thought one team could have two pitchers making $43 million apiece? You never know.

Reactions: Zak57
Good comparisons- but let's look closer. And recognize first off that Freeman is a HOF and has just been so consistent in his career. So, to even things out, you take away Freeman's first year that was a call up, Olsen's first 2 years and all 3 guys drop 2020.
That gives Freeman 11 full years, Olsen, 4 and Pete 3.
So, I ran some numbers on where they stack if their full seasons were brought up to Freeman's 11 years.
Freddie - Runs- 1032 Doubles 390 HR 278 RBI 987 BA- .297
Matt - Runs- 949 Doubles 380 HR 380 RBI 1070 BA - .264
Pete- Runs- 1023 Doubles 308 HR 476 RBI 1265 BA- .255

Of course this is not taking defense into account but- if I am Pete's agent and the owners want to make the same comparison- I ask them how much is 500 HR 1300 RBI for our guy at the point that Freddie is right now in his career.

Good comparisons- but let's look closer. And recognize first off that Freeman is a HOF and has just been so consistent in his career. So, to even things out, you take away Freeman's first year that was a call up, Olsen's first 2 years and all 3 guys drop 2020.
That gives Freeman 11 full years, Olsen, 4 and Pete 3.
So, I ran some numbers on where they stack if their full seasons were brought up to Freeman's 11 years.
Freddie - Runs- 1032 Doubles 390 HR 278 RBI 987 BA- .297
Matt - Runs- 949 Doubles 380 HR 380 RBI 1070 BA - .264
Pete- Runs- 1023 Doubles 308 HR 476 RBI 1265 BA- .255

Of course this is not taking defense into account but- if I am Pete's agent and the owners want to make the same comparison- I ask them how much is 500 HR 1300 RBI for our guy at the point that Freddie is right now in his career.
That looks like $30 million to me. 😁

I hope Mets have desire to have Mauricio learn to play the OF. It’ll be great for him / the team and provide further reinforcements for Nimmo and Marte - both who are injury prone.

Fair enough, but it takes two to tango. Pete saw Aaron Judge bet on himself and cash in big time. Pete may have no interest in an extension at this time. He's not saying, nor should he.

Fair enough, but it takes two to tango. Pete saw Aaron Judge bet on himself and cash in big time. Pete may have no interest in an extension at this time. He's not saying, nor should he.
All depends- AJ also did it on his final year and Pete has 2 left. And as others pointed out- OF pays off more than 1B.
And Pete has the option to sign a long term- 7/8-10 year deal or he could also sign a 5 year that will also give him a 2nd huge payday. He is making 14mil this year- most likely near 19 next year, what if he is getting an extra 15-20 mil on these 2 years just to sign a 5 year deal.
So many different ways for both sides to look at it.
On the other hand- Pete plays for his $14 and goes out and does a Judge and bangs 50+ 140 RBI-
I do think that Pete does have the vision, like Judge, of what being a lifelong NY player could mean.

Careful with a long-term deal for PA, unless he loses weight and gets into better shape. As of now, he has Ryan Howard 2.0 written all over him.

Careful with a long-term deal for PA, unless he loses weight and gets into better shape. As of now, he has Ryan Howard 2.0 written all over him.
Pete has come into camp each year in better shape than the previous year. He is obviously a big guy but not sure I see him getting out of shape.
On the other hand- most Met fans would take 6 straight years in top 10 MVP..,just saying

The Mets could be waiting for Cano's money to come off the books along with Cookie, Canha, and Escobar (the total of all four is $ 56 million). That makes it an easier pill to swallow when signing Pete to a $30 million contract and pursue others.
Total salary dollars coming off the books in 2024 (assuming the Mets do not exercise any club options, and including any buyouts) is approximately $75M.

Cano - $20.25M
Carrasco - $14M
Robertson - $10M
Canha - $9.5M
Escobar - $9M
Pham - $6M
Raley - $3.25M
Ruf - $2.75M

They could of course save a few more bucks by non-tendering arb guys, as they did with Dom Smith. But the only arb guy who projects to make any serious money is Alonso, and they ain't non-tendering him.

From a 2024 budget standpoint, the biggest question is whether Scherzer exercises his opt-out and walks away from $43.3M. I doubt it but you never know. Two words - Scott Boras. Also, Narvaez has a $7M opt-out.

Pete has come into camp each year in better shape than the previous year. He is obviously a big guy but not sure I see him getting out of shape.
On the other hand- most Met fans would take 6 straight years in top 10 MVP..,just saying
Great start to his career (definitely HoF worthy), but RH quickly declined due to lack of discipline and being out of shape. Just hoping PA gets the message and maximizes his talent.

Great start to his career (definitely HoF worthy), but RH quickly declined due to lack of discipline and being out of shape. Just hoping PA gets the message and maximizes his talent.
Agree- and then hope for more for more of a Thomas than a Howard...

Reactions: T2Kplus20
maybe we can trade him to the Dodgers for a couple of top farm players and a good middle RP- of course, we have to hope they dont really want the Yankee starting SS...
All kidding aside- Imagine if Mauricio really has made this progress, along with Baty, Alvarez, Vientos-
We may be seeing a decades long progress with our team...Not that it is on their shoulders but they show that we can find talent. And holding on to them, we are showing a program- they will be starters for us or bring us very good return.

maybe we can trade him to the Dodgers for a couple of top farm players and a good middle RP- of course, we have to hope they dont really want the Yankee starting SS...
All kidding aside- Imagine if Mauricio really has made this progress, along with Baty, Alvarez, Vientos-
We may be seeing a decades long progress with our team...Not that it is on their shoulders but they show that we can find talent. And holding on to them, we are showing a program- they will be starters for us or bring us very good return.
Told you guys I saw 3 of them a couple of times in Lakewood when Binghamton came in. Ronnie was extremely impressive. Talk is he's trade bait,and I hope they rethink that.

ST is not going to tell us much about Mauricio. We already knew he had major power. Can he stop chasing outside pitches, hit breaking stuff, get on base besides hitting HR's. Those are what we're going to have to track once the minor league season starts. Yes he does have a high ceiling because of the power but there are some pretty big holes in his game. He had a below .300 OBP most of his minor league career including last year. That doesn't normally improve at the major league level and would be unplayable. This is from your resident prospect hugger as well.

Being reported that the Mets will use a 6 man rotation at certain points during the season which I like. Between the age of our staff and the injury history of some of them this is a great way to keep the arms fresh and ready to go for the postseason if we make it.

On edit I forgot Senga isn't used to pitching more than once a week so this will help him get acclimated and build his inning limit up as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Monday's Mets-Cardinals game was ESPN's most-watched spring training broadcast in seven years, the network says, averaging 423,000 viewers and peaking at 475,000. Shirt is slightly dated, no doubt,lol.
330333929_1203292450332228_819743779808096227_n.jpg

If Freddie Freeman likes Cohen like he says he does, then he should try to leave the Dodgers and come play first base here! Pete Alonso can move to DH!
👇
👇

1)CF = Brandon Nimmo
2)SS = Francisco Lindor
3)2B = Jeff McNeil
4)DH = Pete Alonso
5)1B = Freddie Freeman
6)RF = Starling Marte
7)3B = Eduardo Escobar
8)LF = Mark Canha
9)C = Omar Narvae
333520421_722599159557993_8265872754923003901_n.jpg

If Freddie Freeman likes Cohen like he says he does, then he should try to leave the Dodgers and come play first base here! Pete Alonso can move to DH!
👇
👇

1)CF = Brandon Nimmo
2)SS = Francisco Lindor
3)2B = Jeff McNeil
4)DH = Pete Alonso
5)1B = Freddie Freeman
6)RF = Starling Marte
7)3B = Eduardo Escobar
8)LF = Mark Canha
9)C = Omar Narvae
333520421_722599159557993_8265872754923003901_n.jpg
Shame he isn't going anywhere but in your dream lineup- he wouldn't be hitting 5th - he would be 3rd.

ST is not going to tell us much about Mauricio. We already knew he had major power. Can he stop chasing outside pitches, hit breaking stuff, get on base besides hitting HR's. Those are what we're going to have to track once the minor league season starts. Yes he does have a high ceiling because of the power but there are some pretty big holes in his game. He had a below .300 OBP most of his minor league career including last year. That doesn't normally improve at the major league level and would be unplayable. This is from your resident prospect hugger as well.
Though- I think I would prefer his .300 OBP to Vogey loving a good walk and clogging the bases or Ruf and his .200 OBP lol

But I do think Mauricio will be the prospect traded at some point.

Shame he isn't going anywhere but in your dream lineup- he wouldn't be hitting 5th - he would be 3rd.
I just felt it would give a free swinger like Pete a hell of a lot more protection not to mention the runners that would be on in front of him. Nimmo and McNeil have great OBP, and Freeman would be protection for Pete bigtime.

I just felt it would give a free swinger like Pete a hell of a lot more protection not to mention the runners that would be on in front of him. Nimmo and McNeil have great OBP, and Freeman would be protection for Pete bigtime.
Myself- even with our current team my lineup would be a bit different.
1)Brandon Nimmo
2)McNeil
3)Lindor
4)Pete Alonso
5)Marte
6)Escobar
7)WhoEver is our DH
8)Canha
9)Narvae

Status
Not open for further replies.