ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine the fanbase that wanted us to sign him and mocked us for letting our best pitcher walk. Now imagine the posts we'd be flooded with now,lol.

I think 90% of the fanbase wanted to keep him here on a very short contract. And no one cried when he left for a 5/6 year deal.
And all pain went away when we signed JV for a short deal to replace him. 😀

He’s talking about another fan base
My bad- missed that.

Reactions: FrankZ
#41 to #100 of MLB Network's Top 100 Players Right Now have been announced. Mets well represented this far;

#45 - Jeff McNeil
#51 - Edwin Diaz
#54 - Brandon Nimmo
#61 - Starling Marte

Still to be heard from: Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Pete Alonso, and Francisco Lindor.
#21 - Francisco Lindor
#31 - Pete Alonso

Scherzer and Verlander in Top 20.

I had a sense of pride/joy as a Met fan whenever DeGrom took to the mound because he was a home grown player who was the most dominant SP when he was out there.

Our rotation is weaker than last year’s and it more attributable to the replacement of Bassitt with a Japanese unknown.

I had a sense of pride/joy as a Met fan whenever DeGrom took to the mound because he was a home grown player who was the most dominant SP when he was out there.

Our rotation is weaker than last year’s and it more attributable to the replacement of Bassitt with a Japanese unknown.
7 starters deep and a possible 6 man rotation. That's how the Japanese pitcher worked. With so many setbacks last season working around deGroms arm issues,I feel the pitching staff,especially middle relief will be better off.

Felt the same way about deGrom.

And at first, the thought about the rotation seems to be true but.....Facts tell us otherwise.
Let's stat with the fact that deGrom started only 11 games Verlander started 28.
But if you combine the 2022 top 5 rotation when deGrom did pitch- they accounted for
699 Innings - 611 hits - 167 BB 726 K 3.29 ERA
Now- let's take what our top 4 look like without Senga
637 innings - 539 hits - 141 BB 647 K 2.71 ERA
If you add in Senga's J league -it even gets better. But even if you were to put Peterson into the spot instead of Senga- the numbers are still better than 2022. So, even if Senga only does as well as Peterson, we are still better off this year.
I would find it VERY hard to find a top 4 without Senga that match up with those numbers.

7 starters deep and a possible 6 man rotation. That's how the Japanese pitcher worked. With so many setbacks last season working around deGroms arm issues,I feel the pitching staff,especially middle relief will be better off.
I hope they stick to a traditional 5 man rotation and have MeGill and Peterson for long relief and spot starts. And have them available if one of the starters goes on the IL.
If both can adjust to that role and then have Ottavino, Robertson, Diaz(and having these 3 make it possible that if we need to throw Diaz 2 innings or consecutive days, we have an experienced closer to fill in for a day and not stress a ton about it), for the last 3 mix in Smith and Nogo and this is a hell of a staff.

Don’t think we can say weaker or stronger until we see what we get out of Senga. For example the start of last year most people down on Cookie. He far exceeded expectations. I look at it this way. TM I believe started game 1 and now most likely starts at AAA. If the staff stays healthy we most likely look stronger than last year. Time will tell

We won 101 games last year...And the moment Max/JV go past 34 starts, we most likely have improved our starting staff. I would like to add one more to middle relief but with the 7/8/9 inning guys we have and Peterson and Megill as long relief, I would say we improved the entire staff
Catcher is a slight improvement going in without considering if Alvarez makes the jump. 1B is the same and why doubt a 270/40/110+ season, 2B stays the same, SS stays the same, 3B - same person but he will most likely be more consistent. OF stays the same, DH just has to be better but let's call it the same.
I don't think we got weaker in any area.
Meanwhile- even though Atl added another good catcher- does that make them that much better since that has been an area of strength already? And they lost one the games top SS's who also seemed like a great clubhouse guy.
So, you could say they have a slight improvement at C but a huge downgrade at SS...why is it that everyone has them above us?
Philly- great offense but,,,Harper out for nearly half the season is crushing to say the least.
I am looking forward to a fun as 86 type season!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Listening to the RU basketball game today on WABC 880 am reminded me of how much I miss WFAN FM being the flagship station of the NY Mets. From it's inception of being the first all sports talk radio station in the country, minus 4 hour of Imus in those first couple of years, it was the Official Mets station. As a left over scab from the Wilpon ownership, he allowed the Yankees to get the broadcast rights for WFAN. The fact Uncle Stevie hasn't tried to get another FM station for a clear reception pisses me off.

Reactions: AntiG
I hope they stick to a traditional 5 man rotation and have MeGill and Peterson for long relief and spot starts. And have them available if one of the starters goes on the IL.
If both can adjust to that role and then have Ottavino, Robertson, Diaz(and having these 3 make it possible that if we need to throw Diaz 2 innings or consecutive days, we have an experienced closer to fill in for a day and not stress a ton about it), for the last 3 mix in Smith and Nogo and this is a hell of a staff.
Would be surprised if either Megill or Peterson are on the opening day roster. Would be shocked if both are. They will be starting regularly at Syracuse.

UNLESS... the Mets do decide to start the season with a six man rotation.

The Athletic reports that MLB is creating a special "Economic Reform Committee". A more honest name for it would be the "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Steve Cohen Commitee".

A quote from an anonymous industry source: "Cohen has made the small market teams go F'n crazy... They demand everything's got to change, and so the answer is to put together a study committee for labor... The whole idea is to get to a salary cap."

Two problems with a salary cap:
  1. It would take 23 votes. The owners didn't have that last go-round, and they don't have it now... yet. The purpose of the Economic Reform Committee may be to devise a plan that will get the votes.
  2. The players association will die on that hill.
The CBA expires in 2026. It will be a wild ride.

Cohen is good for the sport. The cheap owners are ruining it yet there are more of them so we'll see how this develops over the next few years.

The Athletic reports that MLB is creating a special "Economic Reform Committee". A more honest name for it would be the "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Steve Cohen Commitee".

A quote from an anonymous industry source: "Cohen has made the small market teams go F'n crazy... They demand everything's got to change, and so the answer is to put together a study committee for labor... The whole idea is to get to a salary cap."

Two problems with a salary cap:
  1. It would take 23 votes. The owners didn't have that last go-round, and they don't have it now... yet. The purpose of the Economic Reform Committee may be to devise a plan that will get the votes.
  2. The players association will die on that hill.
The CBA expires in 2026. It will be a wild ride.
If they want to really fix the sport- the salary cap should also have a floor and if you are under the minimum payroll, you do not get to share in the taxation.

If they want to really fix the sport- the salary cap should also have a floor and if you are under the minimum payroll, you do not get to share in the taxation.
I agree with you that they need to have a salary floor. Cohen's playing by the rules the owners set up.

And therein lies the problem. In order for this proposal to have ANY chance of MLBPA approval, the floor would have to be significantly higher than the smaller market owners would support.

And therein lies the problem. In order for this proposal to have ANY chance of MLBPA approval, the floor would have to be significantly higher than the smaller market owners would support.
They should no longer have that argument. I believe that each team is now getting $100 mil in TV rights each year and the small market teams get up to $50 mil per year from revenue sharing.And there are 4 current teams with payroll under $60 mil.
The floor should be around 85-90 mil

The Vulture continues to circle. Phil Regan is suing the Mets for age discrimination re his dismissal as pitching coach after the 2019 season. He was 82 at the time.

According to the article, he doesn't appear to have the receipts. His case seems to center around verbal statements made by BVW.

The Vulture continues to circle. Phil Regan is suing the Mets for age discrimination re his dismissal as pitching coach after the 2019 season. He was 82 at the time.

According to the article, he doesn't appear to have the receipts. His case seems to center around verbal statements made by BVW.
This is an interesting case to follow. The Mets probably think Regan's case is weak, otherwise they would have settled or corrected.

Shows how bad the organization was with the Wilpons/BVW at the helm. Happy it didn't last. I just wish that the Wilpons had been forced to sell after the Madoff problems really hit.

Reactions: rume
This is an interesting case to follow. The Mets probably think Regan's case is weak, otherwise they would have settled or corrected.

Shows how bad the organization was with the Wilpons/BVW at the helm. Happy it didn't last. I just wish that the Wilpons had been forced to sell after the Madoff problems really hit.
His case is super weak unless the age comment was in writing or heard by someone else. It wasn't like he had the job title already and that there was a continuation of leadership. He took the job with no promises or contract further than filling in for that year. Most likely never would have been in that position if the Met's had not fired the guy in front of him.
Plus, NY is a right to work state, he was not under a contract for that job, and it is professional sports- you get hired/fired etc for all sorts of reasons. You get paid upon release based on your contract.

Getting exciting...A couple of thoughts and you guys know me, always half full until shown otherwise.

Vogey- love that he really put in an effort. It's funny because he says he lost 20 lbs- looks more like 50+ to me. Either way- says a lot to me. So maybe there is a chance the left hand side to DH may turn out positive. I also think some combo of Ruf/Pham/Vientos/Baty should make our DH position so much better than last year. Give me a combined 20 HR and 80 RBI and I am super happy.
Always loved before camp really starts and it was P&C - when pitchers went to live BA, Lindor/Alonso always seemed to be 2 of the guys taking those AB's. Our 2 superstars not taking it easy.
Escobar- I really don't think he is going to be a negative this year. And even with such a horrific start last year- he actually finished in the upper half of 3B in MLB last year with great defense. Thank about that...
C is what it is. but if DH and 3B does their job- give me these two guys for our staff to pitch to.
So much depth in SP- two very important pieces of a 101 win team are our 6/7 guys...
Back 3 of the BP are much better than last year.
Still would like one more RP and please try to make him a lefty!

Reactions: gmay8
I just booked a trip this week to go see the Mets Opening Day in Miami!! Need to buy my tix now.

Reactions: FrankZ
Getting exciting...A couple of thoughts and you guys know me, always half full until shown otherwise.

Vogey- love that he really put in an effort. It's funny because he says he lost 20 lbs- looks more like 50+ to me. Either way- says a lot to me. So maybe there is a chance the left hand side to DH may turn out positive. I also think some combo of Ruf/Pham/Vientos/Baty should make our DH position so much better than last year. Give me a combined 20 HR and 80 RBI and I am super happy.
Always loved before camp really starts and it was P&C - when pitchers went to live BA, Lindor/Alonso always seemed to be 2 of the guys taking those AB's. Our 2 superstars not taking it easy.
Escobar- I really don't think he is going to be a negative this year. And even with such a horrific start last year- he actually finished in the upper half of 3B in MLB last year with great defense. Thank about that...
C is what it is. but if DH and 3B does their job- give me these two guys for our staff to pitch to.
So much depth in SP- two very important pieces of a 101 win team are our 6/7 guys...
Back 3 of the BP are much better than last year.
Still would like one more RP and please try to make him a lefty!

All comes down to the RH DH to me... I think Vogey/Baty will be fine from the left side as DH options. Need to get production from a right handed DH/bench bat. They better have a very quick hook on Ruf if he struggles in spring and early season.
I also hope Senga can replace Bassit as a quality #3... i feel like the ceiling is much higher, but floor could be lower having never pitched in MLB

All comes down to the RH DH to me... I think Vogey/Baty will be fine from the left side as DH options. Need to get production from a right handed DH/bench bat. They better have a very quick hook on Ruf if he struggles in spring and early season.
I also hope Senga can replace Bassit as a quality #3... i feel like the ceiling is much higher, but floor could be lower having never pitched in MLB
I try to look at the SP's as a staff and not 1/2/3/4/5
Last year- we had Max for 2/3 of the year
deGrom for 1/3 of the year
Bassitt
Carrasco
Walker
with Peterson/Megill filling in for the Max/Jake lost starts
This year-
Let's be realistic
Max will miss a handful of games so lets say we get 25-27 starts
Verlander- maybe miss handful - so, same 25-27 starts
So our 2 true aces give us almost an additional 20 starts
Then Senga
Quintana
Carrasco
Quintana pretty much had a very similar year to Bassitt if not slightly better. So, let's say he takes Bassitt's spot. That is a pretty close swap.
Senga/Carrasco- let's even say they end up equal to Walker/Carrasco of last year
we still hope for that extra 15-20 starts from our 2 aces.

And we have Peterson/Megill still in the role they had last year.
Overall- we are at least as good as last year. And a chance, if Quintana has another good year and Senga proves out, to have a much better staff.
And I think our BP is better.

RH DH is a huge key to the season. but I think we actually improved our team a lot.

Baty 2 for 2 so far. Single over shortstop and then an RBI double to left center gap, run scored.

Mauricio walked.

Vientos fly out to right.

Just a three inning intrasquad game, it’s over already.

Split DH today. The later game at 6 is on SNY which is nice with this cold day.

Looking forward to some baseball. Really excited to see the pitching staff this season.
I usually make a ST game every year but not making it to the east coast when I'm down there. Love PSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT