ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2023 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to some baseball. Really excited to see the pitching staff this season.
I usually make a ST game every year but not making it to the east coast when I'm down there. Love PSL
With the staff- I really think we are in pretty good position. And more than the starters- it will be key to have Ottavino/Robertson stay healthy and pitch well. I do not see a recession from Diaz. but if we have those 3 from 7th on and they all are pitching like they pitch- then we have no excuse

So what happens "if" your pitcher releases a pitch after the shot clock, the ump misses it, the batter hits a HR. Can you appeal the pitch,thus doing a pitch over? This clock is so forked up. Talk about reinventing the game, I hate it. Clearly MLB hasn't thought this all the way through.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01
Machado getting an 11 year $350 million deal. Take him off the FA board for the off-season.

Congrats to Manny Machado. But everyone would be going ape 💩 if Steve Cohen did this.

I know it will never start a discussion on Promotion/Relegation in MLB. But those 12 cheap teams is enough for a AAAA type league until they put the millions they’re pocketing back into building legit contending MLB team. Otherwise why the hell are they MLB owners?

Reactions: RUfinally2008

I know it will never start a discussion on Promotion/Relegation in MLB. But those 12 cheap teams is enough for a AAAA type league until they put the millions they’re pocketing back into building legit contending MLB team. Otherwise why the hell are they MLB owners?
A cap floor has to be established. that is more important than another Cohen tax.
So many teams are paying less than what they get as freebies.

A cap floor has to be established. that is more important than another Cohen tax.
There will never be a floor without a cap. Neither will there ever be a cap without a floor. The players will not accept a cap. They will die on that hill.

Maybe, just maybe, the players will soften their stance IF the both cap and floor were high enough. How high that is, I do not know.

Definitely agree about a cap floor. But will never happen as well

All of the kids seem to be looking good so far. Maybe we have a handful of good MLB players down there. Baty/Alvarez/Vientos/Mauricio
Imagine these guys all end up somewhere between Wright/Reyes(or even Rosario/Giminez) types and we keep Nimmo, McNeil, Lindor, Alonso on this club…
What worries me for the future is that we really do not have any near ready pitchers..,

All of the kids seem to be looking good so far. Maybe we have a handful of good MLB players down there. Baty/Alvarez/Vientos/Mauricio
Imagine these guys all end up somewhere between Wright/Reyes(or even Rosario/Giminez) types and we keep Nimmo, McNeil, Lindor, Alonso on this club…
What worries me for the future is that we really do not have any near ready pitchers..,
We got several kids down on the farm that touch 100mph. I'd bring up one and give them a shot, I don't care how raw they are. Can't coach 100mph.

Well thats where you focus your free agent spending. Keep your young, talented position players.

We have near ready pitchers. If any two of our back-end starters go down, I am fine with replacing them with Megill and Peterson.

What we don't have is near ready aces.

Looking ahead, here's when we lose our starters:

Carrasco - FA
Scherzer - Possible opt-out

Scherzer - FA
Quintana - FA
Verlander - FA unless reaches vesting target.

Hopefully at least a couple of the new crop of starters (Tidwell, Vasil, Hamel, Ziegler) will be ready by then.

The injuries to Allan and Rocker were a killer. Of course, without the latter, we wouldn't have Parada.

We have near ready pitchers. If any two of our back-end starters go down, I am fine with replacing them with Megill and Peterson.

What we don't have is near ready aces.

Looking ahead, here's when we lose our starters:

Carrasco - FA
Scherzer - Possible opt-out

Scherzer - FA
Quintana - FA
Verlander - FA unless reaches vesting target.

Hopefully at least a couple of the new crop of starters (Tidwell, Vasil, Hamel, Ziegler) will be ready by then.

The injuries to Allan and Rocker were a killer. Of course, without the latter, we wouldn't have Parada.
Megill and Peterson are not “farm” they are actually proven pitchers that have mult good seasons under their belts. We gave 7 proven starters. We DO NOT have Alvarez/Vatt/Vientos type pitchers in the farm.

In Florida. Went to my first spring training game today at Clover Field. Lot of fun! Mauricio hit a bomb. I like him! Tall and great baseball physique.
Great games at Clover Park today and last evening. The shot from Mauricio was definitely impressive. We spend 4-6 weeks in Port St Lucie each winter and my wife, who was at game when Mets clinched pennant in 1969, loves spring training. 87 degrees today and spent first 7 innings in sun but a great day.

We got several kids down on the farm that touch 100mph. I'd bring up one and give them a shot, I don't care how raw they are. Can't coach 100mph

Great games at Clover Park today and last evening. The shot from Mauricio was definitely impressive. We spend 4-6 weeks in Port St Lucie each winter and my wife, who was at game when Mets clinched pennant in 1969, loves spring training. 87 degrees today and spent first 7 innings in sun but a great day.
Love PSL myself. Have a friend who lives 5 mins from the stadium. I try to go to at least one game a year.
I was only 3yrs old in 1969, so I missed the clincher.😂😂😂

I sat in Section 5 literally right behind 1b. I have lots of family in palm beach / broward county and I never thought of going to a spring training game. Whatta mistake until today. lol. Had a lot of fun! Great time !

Reactions: Knight Shift
I sat in Section 5 literally right behind 1b. I have lots of family in palm beach / broward county and I never thought of going to a spring training game. Whatta mistake until today. lol. Had a lot of fun! Great time !
We sat in 5 also. It was a good crowd. We took 95 year old father of one of our closest friends in NJ who spends a month in Fort Pierce every February. He loved it. Brought in Jersey Mike’s subs ( much better than stadium food). Going again tomorrow

Pipeline Top 30 released today:

Pipeline Top 30 released today:

Would love to see a few of the pitchers start to be close to show ready. But, the good news is- it is night and day from where we were just a few years ago.

We sat in 5 also. It was a good crowd. We took 95 year old father of one of our closest friends in NJ who spends a month in Fort Pierce every February. He loved it. Brought in Jersey Mike’s subs ( much better than stadium food). Going again tomorrow
Oh wow. My wife and I were in last row in section 5 on aisle. Small world! Slight chance we may go as well vs Astros tomorrow. Probably 10%.

Would love to see a few of the pitchers start to be close to show ready. But, the good news is- it is night and day from where we were just a few years ago.
According to some rating services, we have one of the most high-ceiling, MLB-ready rookie pitchers around. His name is Kodai Senga. I think MLB Pipeline is correct in their decision not to rate him. But technically he is a rookie. He is eligible for Rookie of the Year.

According to some rating services, we have one of the most high-ceiling, MLB-ready rookie pitchers around. His name is Kodai Senga. I think MLB Pipeline is correct in their decision not to rate him. But technically he is a rookie. He is eligible for Rookie of the Year.
But, you know what I mean…lol

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Unil Mauricio shows he can hit good breaking stuff and raise his OBP he won't get much of a look. His upside is immense but his floor is really bad as well. Hopefully something clicked but we won't know until a couple of months into the minor league season. He's always had this power.

The only rookie I can see starting with the team is Baty. I predicted last year he would take the job from Escobar and I still think it's a possibility. I saw Escobar is going to start to get time in LF and he also might play there in the WBC so could be a sign they want to make him a super sub this year with Baty winning the job. All very early but the one thing to watch this Spring positional battle wise.

Unil Mauricio shows he can hit good breaking stuff and raise his OBP he won't get much of a look. His upside is immense but his floor is really bad as well. Hopefully something clicked but we won't know until a couple of months into the minor league season. He's always had this power.

The only rookie I can see starting with the team is Baty. I predicted last year he would take the job from Escobar and I still think it's a possibility. I saw Escobar is going to start to get time in LF and he also might play there in the WBC so could be a sign they want to make him a super sub this year with Baty winning the job. All very early but the one thing to watch this Spring positional battle wise.
SNY said Batty will likely start the season in the minors. Also, Mauricio has taken his game to another level. He was okay in the minors last year, but something seemed to click during winter ball, and looks like it's carrying over to spring training. Mauricio's biggest problem is what position will he play. He has outgrown SS.

My issue is why hold onto players like Ruf or Vogelbach? Go with younger players who have a higher ceiling, more potential, and are under control for years to come. Atlanta does it and it works for them.

Reactions: rubaseball78
I'm not ready to say something clicked with Mauricio because of winter ball and 2 ST games. The HR's he hit were both off fastballs. He'll play SS for now but yeah they're going to have to move him off. I guess OF possibly. He said he'll have no trouble learning other positions.

They can move on from Ruf or Vogey if need be when the time comes. I'm fine not having the young guys up yet even though I think Baty does have a 50/50 shot of stealing the 3B spot.

I'm not ready to say something clicked with Mauricio because of winter ball and 2 ST games. The HR's he hit were both off fastballs. He'll play SS for now but yeah they're going to have to move him off. I guess OF possibly. He said he'll have no trouble learning other positions.

They can move on from Ruf or Vogey if need be when the time comes. I'm fine not having the young guys up yet even though I think Baty does have a 50/50 shot of stealing the 3B spot.
If things are starting to click for Mauricio- I would prefer he stay in the minors to refine it even more. Get him in the OF as well.
I think Baty is going to get a chance at 3B but my gut tells me that Escobar is going to do everything possible to stop that.
What I love is…these are our ST concerns..,

If things are starting to click for Mauricio- I would prefer he stay in the minors to refine it even more. Get him in the OF as well.
I think Baty is going to get a chance at 3B but my gut tells me that Escobar is going to do everything possible to stop that.
What I love is…these are our ST concerns..,
I hope the Mets don't repeat the habits of the Coupons and keep sh*tty vets to save a penny and control the clock from starting on the young guys.

Question for knowledgeable Mets fans:

The word on the street is Manny Machado will opt out of his current deal and sign a new one with the Padres for $350 million over 11 years. Are the Padres tying their hands, and will that prevent them from signing Juan Soto after this season? They are a small market team that doesn't have unlimited resources to sign every top tier play to big contracts. Should the Mets make a play for Soto next year since he'll only be 25 y/o? And doesn't this impact the Mets from going after Ohtani?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT