ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snow? - January 15-16?

Looks like they've extended the end time a bit further than what they were showing earlier and what some of the models are projecting after about 7-8 am. Some models have the precip over by 9-10 am for you and others by 1-2 pm, while the NWS has the precip winding down between 11 am and 4 pm with some rain and freezing rain possible, as you noted. It's not a big difference, really, since most of the snow damage is done by 9-10 am when temps for you are forecast to go above 32F just a little. Below is the hourly graphic for Cherry Hill. Hope that helps.

Plotter.php
There's a big difference between "precip being largely over by 9-10 a.m." (which is what you said in the post I quoted and responded to) and precipitation lasting essentially all day, which is what the NWS was forecasting (and which they continue to forecast.) That's why I felt it necessary to respond to the post. Perhaps you simply meant to type "snow" when you typed "precip."

Just got the text in western Union county.
School delayed opening tomorrow.

There’s no precipitation here at all yet.

yep...things will be closed tomorrow
Agreed, I think most schools, at least, will be closed, as they're heavily impacted by residential streets and sidewalks being easily navigable and they won't be at 7 am and probably not at 10 am for a delayed opening. Businesses however are relying on adults who ought to be able to get their cars from snowy local roads to what should be major roads in fairly decent shape - although with remote working it's certainly easier to just tell people to work remotely, I guess.

Reactions: rurichdog
Snow blower has been test fired, fueled with fresh ethanol-free gas, tires good, impeller and auger good, and parked at the front of the garage.

Bring on the freezing rain 🌧

• Haha
Reactions: Rhuarc and RU848789
Changed to rain in Salem Co
It's 26F there - no way should there be any rain down there or anywhere in our area until at the wee hours of the morning for the coast and the radar shows all snow - any chance it's not just very fine snowflakes or that it's happy hour? :>)

Snow blower has been test fired, fueled with fresh ethanol-free gas, tires good, impeller and auger good, and parked at the front of the garage.

Bring on the freezing rain 🌧
Ethanol free is the key. Should run for a long time without any problems. Well, except when you run out of actual gas.

Work in a special needs school where kids come from several different counties. Expecting to get call soon for delay at least.

Many school districts announce the delays as an initial precaution and then reevaluate overnight/early morning, consulting with the local police, road department and their weather consultants, before making a final call on delayed opening versus closure.

Work in a special needs school where kids come from several different counties. Expecting to get call soon for delay at least.
My wife and I just got our call. Daughter teaches in different district got the call 2 minutes later. Both delay openings

Reports of 1/2" of snow just SW of Philly in DelCo and snow starting to accumulate in Philly and adjacent SNJ. It'll be starting to accumulate in most of CNJ by 9-10 pm at this rate.

Snowing in Valley Forge, Trenton, Freehold and Belmar and all points south of 195/276. Should be in NB and Somerville and Clinton by 9 pm or sooner.

Snowing in Valley Forge, Trenton, Freehold and Belmar and all points south of 195/276. Should be in NB and Somerville and Clinton by 9 pm or sooner.
That would be "sooner," lol. Started snowing lightly here around 8:15 pm and we already have a dusting on everything at 26F...

So you have to wake up and then figure it out. Lame!
Yes but I'm not sure if our parents would tune back in once they sent an email out. You should hear some of the stories we get because parents "just didn't know".

Reports of 1/2" of snow just SW of Philly in DelCo and snow starting to accumulate in Philly and adjacent SNJ. It'll be starting to accumulate in most of CNJ by 9-10 pm at this rate.
The guy in Media PA (12 miles W of Philly) just reported 2.1'" as of about 8:20 pm and someone in Philly just reported 1/2" already. No models had this much snow this early (most I saw was about 1" in Philly at 10 pm). Not sure if things are just early or they got a nice band or if the storm is generally overperforming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT