ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will Corner Tavern ever come back/will owners sell?

Easton Ave bar scene isn’t terrible, but as Skoolie says it needs an overall upgrade with more/better/bigger options if we’re comparing to BIG10 peers.

I never understood what the deal was with Corner Tavern. I went there once in my time at Rutgers (2007-2011) for a combined 10 minutes on my 21st. It’s prime real estate and a complete dump/dive that gets no business.

Anyone know what happened to Redds by the train station? I think they were having trouble paying rent but Easton Ave needs more options like Redds offered.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
McCormick's was fun, spent about 12 hours there during a March snowstorm, think it was 1992.
Corner Tavern was popular on Thursday nights back then, $2 pitchers and they played the Hokey Pokey at the end of the night which was always comical. Urinal troughs got pretty disgusting on a busy night...

I discovered it after college, and can’t say I ever truly enjoyed the place, BUT it has perhaps the coolest collection of artifacts on campus: mugs hang above the bar with names and class years from the ‘40s. I learned these mugs were made for soldiers when they went off to WWII, the mugs were left above the bar for whenever they wanted to return and have a drink. Whatever happens to the bar, those mugs need to be preserved.
Many of those mugs were for grads and students who never made it back. RIP.

Was there to see a guy from a nearby frat who, after finding he passed and would graduate AND got a job offer from a big bank in the same day, went there naked with a group of guys (only he was naked), did a shot, then crossed the street and ordered a sub at Little Teddy's (long gone, think it was a book store after and then was torn down for that monstrous tower).

Many of those mugs were for grads and students who never made it back. RIP.

Was there to see a guy from a nearby frat who, after finding he passed and would graduate AND got a job offer from a big bank in the same day, went there naked with a group of guys (only he was naked), did a shot, then crossed the street and ordered a sub at Little Teddy's (long gone, think it was a book store after and then was torn down for that monstrous tower).
Was that guy's fraternity at 18 College Ave by any chance?

Hey, @SF88

What do you hear, what do you know what’s going on?
The father and mother passed on a several years prior to covid. Some of the previous posts have mentioned their children, Vinny, Frank, Marie. I believe Vinny is the fire chief in Franklin. In the 30 years that I've been next door, they have never really invested in the the properties. There are 3 lots, the CT, the CoolRunning/Hole in Wall Bagel/the burnt down WelshFarms/SmokeShop.

While there has never been a sign, the properties are for sale. For years I dreamt of buying them and building a Panera there, along with student housing above. I have cooled on the Panera idea since the cinnamon scone and garden vegetable soup have disappeared. I have even paid an architect to do a design plan to see what could go there. My plan is 9/10 stories tall with over 300 beds. However, in 2023 the building costs are so high that I can't get the numbers to work. For example, just the police needed on both Easton/Somerset would cost a half mil during construction. I have consulted with Devco and other national developers, along with project engineers etc to gauge costs. ( I do student housing rentals on the side at RU ).

The properties have most likely been paid off for a couple of generations, so even in their dilapidated state, generate mostly passive revenue. My offer of 3 mil didn't even get a reply. Rumor on the street is 6/7 mil for the properties. The site is too small for the large national groups and too big for the common investor ( me ), so they sit there for 3+ years now. I'd love to be part of a group who could redevelop the site.( @kyk1827 ) No one knows RU college rentals better than me ( sorry @RUskoolie ).

I have to say as an undergrad in the early to mid 90s I wouldn't have looked twice at Barca or Tacoria. The grease trucks, pizza city or maybe Wendy's if I was feeling fancy were my food Go-tos. They were cheap and perfect food for a college aged kid. You maybe go to Old Man Raffertys if it was someboyd's bday to order desert only - because who could afford a whole dinner there? A lot of kids I knew at Rutgers were not living high off the hog by any stretch and just eating junky food for the most part - it was cheap and tasted good. My friend tells me that times have changed and that's not what college kids want anymore - if true that would be a huge shift - also wonder where they are getting the money to go to get tapas at Barca.
I always found the whole "poor college student" to be a highly abused cliche. A real poor college student is working 5+ days a week to put himself through school. Good chance he doesn't live on campus. Most college kids I encountered decades ago weren't that, though many would try to co-opt it.

I don't doubt there are plenty that can and do afford more expensive food options in today's world.

The father and mother passed on a several years prior to covid. Some of the previous posts have mentioned their children, Vinny, Frank, Marie. I believe Vinny is the fire chief in Franklin. In the 30 years that I've been next door, they have never really invested in the the properties. There are 3 lots, the CT, the CoolRunning/Hole in Wall Bagel/the burnt down WelshFarms/SmokeShop.

While there has never been a sign, the properties are for sale. For years I dreamt of buying them and building a Panera there, along with student housing above. I have cooled on the Panera idea since the cinnamon scone and garden vegetable soup have disappeared. I have even paid an architect to do a design plan to see what could go there. My plan is 9/10 stories tall with over 300 beds. However, in 2023 the building costs are so high that I can't get the numbers to work. For example, just the police needed on both Easton/Somerset would cost a half mil during construction. I have consulted with Devco and other national developers, along with project engineers etc to gauge costs. ( I do student housing rentals on the side at RU ).

The properties have most likely been paid off for a couple of generations, so even in their dilapidated state, generate mostly passive revenue. My offer of 3 mil didn't even get a reply. Rumor on the street is 6/7 mil for the properties. The site is too small for the large national groups and too big for the common investor ( me ), so they sit there for 3+ years now. I'd love to be part of a group who could redevelop the site.( @kyk1827 ) No one knows RU college rentals better than me ( sorry @RUskoolie ).
Good information Steve - thanks. It's sad to see it sitting there the way it is. I spent too much time there in the late 60's and whenever I was back in town. Somewhere I have a great picture of Sam behind the bar.

Thank you.🙂

Reactions: Leonard23
Homerism rears its ugly head again. It’s very enjoyable, but c’mon now. What makes it better than 100 other places and how many others have you experienced?
Here are the schools ive been to and where RU ranks tailgate scene wise.

Maryland. RU is better
Penn State. Penn State is slightly better due to RV lot area
Kansas. RU is better
Auburn. RU is better
Ole Miss. #1 in the country, no one competes
Georgia. RU is better
UCF. RU is better
Boston College. RU is better
NC State. RU is better
Arizona State. RU is better
Clemson. VERY similar to RU, except all blacktop, draw.

Homerism rears its ugly head again. It’s very enjoyable, but c’mon now. What makes it better than 100 other places and how many others have you experienced?

I’ve been to ASU, U of A, Penn State, Arkansas, Oklahoma, University of Texas, USF, SMU, Syracuse, and the Rose Bowl off the top of my head and only Penn State was a better set up.

I’ve only been to 3 on your list, but that is a far cry from ‘unequivocally top 10’. What makes one better than another ?

Rutgers football letter winners Leonard H. Cooke (1937-39), Milton Nelson (1939-40), Vincent Kramer (1939-40) and Thomas M. Compiths (1940) were four of over 60 students whose names appear on steins that hang above the bar counter in the Corner Tavern at Somerset Street and Easton Avenue. CT’s Vinni Inzano reported the mugs were donated en masse in 1941 as a remembrance of the Rutgers students of the time who were going off to fight in World War II. A pledge was made to return the mugs to their owners if the bar ever changed hands.

The Rutgers veterans returned each year on Reunion Weekend to check up on the steins. They have remained there undisturbed for over 80 years. In the 1990s, one man shipped his mug from his home requesting it be hung with the others. The group reunions have long since stopped but occasionally a member of the Class of 1941, or his descendents, come into the Corner Tavern to look for the reminders of the time Rutgers men went to serve their country when the world was on the line.
if I recall, every member of the class enlisted!

Point is, one might prefer the crowded RU lot layout (cramped spaces) and another may prefer more dispersed, small lot environment type (UNC) to relax or an off-campus neighborhood tailgate scene (reserve lawn spaces from homeowners like at Michigan). And then there’s boat tailgating at Tennessee and Washington. And of course, The Grove. None ‘unequivocally’ better than another.

The older I get, the less I prefer the RU type and the more I prefer laid back tailgates with ample space. Michigan State for example. I do enjoy RU, but yellow and blue are an overcrowded hot mess.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Point is, one might prefer the crowded RU lot layout (cramped spaces) and another may prefer more dispersed, small lot environment type (UNC) to relax or an off-campus neighborhood tailgate scene (reserve lawn spaces from homeowners like at Michigan). And then there’s boat tailgating at Tennessee and Washington. And of course, The Grove. None ‘unequivocally’ better than another.

The older I get, the less I prefer the RU type and the more I prefer laid back tailgates with ample space. Michigan State for example. I do enjoy RU, but yellow and blue are an overcrowded hot mess.

This feels like an odd take to me.

Yes, the Blue lot in its heyday was a shit show, but I don't think it's now as bad as it used to be.

The Yellow lot isn't even close to what I'd call "an overcrowded hot mess". Spacing is generous, the parking attendants are indulgent wrt large parties and it's boisterous without being badly behaved.

And frankly, the Scarlet lot is the most crowded of all the lots, since the attendants enforce the parking spaces the way the lines are drawn and there's simply not enough room to spread out, even a little.

Off-campus lots can be hit or miss, depending on the venue. I've been to Gainesville several times and we always park & tailgate in one of the private lots on University Ave. It's a great environment, but they clip you for $100 bucks a car.

FWIW, regarding The Grove - great scene, especially if Southern Girl scenery is your thing. But... The Grove is a 100% catered venue - there is NO food prep allowed. No grills, no stoves, etc.

It would be great if RU could take advantage of the Raritan and do some kind of boat scene like UT and UW, but it's never going to happen. The river adjacent to Johnson Park is not navigable and there is zero inclination on the part of the state to make it so.

Rutgers unequivocally has a top 10 tailgate scene in america fyi.
We did but do we still? I haven’t been to game in years but haven’t a good portion of the lots Ben converted to needed facilities

I have to say as an undergrad in the early to mid 90s I wouldn't have looked twice at Barca or Tacoria. The grease trucks, pizza city or maybe Wendy's if I was feeling fancy were my food Go-tos. They were cheap and perfect food for a college aged kid. You maybe go to Old Man Raffertys if it was someboyd's bday to order desert only - because who could afford a whole dinner there? A lot of kids I knew at Rutgers were not living high off the hog by any stretch and just eating junky food for the most part - it was cheap and tasted good. My friend tells me that times have changed and that's not what college kids want anymore - if true that would be a huge shift - also wonder where they are getting the money to go to get tapas at Barca.
You also weren’t spending 6 bucks on a Starbucks drink, 8 bucks for a smoothie or 15 for a poke bowl These kids are different than us

Reactions: RUskoolie
We did but do we still? I haven’t been to game in years but haven’t a good portion of the lots Ben converted to needed facilities
No, still all the same pretty much. Blue lot is still there, yellow still there, scarlet still there. And TBH the addition of the "boardwalk"/pre-game entertainment with the stage and mini beer garden is awesome. It's one of the best pregame/tailgate set ups in the country

Reactions: Leonard23 and vkj91
You also weren’t spending 6 bucks on a Starbucks drink, 8 bucks for a smoothie or 15 for a poke bowl These kids are different than us
They look different too. I was just talking with my friends that I feel old because when we were in college, girls wore clothes and looked normal. Now, every girl looks like a super model wearing dental floss and has their faces shot up with all these different fillers. They look good though haha.

Like a 10 when I was in college would be a 7 today and this was only 10 years ago.

I legitimately survived on a 75 per semester meal plan and $100/week. I always did lunch at the dining halls. And every lunch I'd grab breakfast for the next day by taking 1 banana and 1 apple. Then for dinner my go to was Pizza City buffalo chicken cheesesteak, I still can't figure out how but it was $5 and a pretty sizeable cheesesteak haha, hansel buff chicken crisp, blitz burger on tuesdays as it was 2 for tuesdays and split that deal with my roommate so it was $3 each and I waited tables and would eat dinner for free there often. Then drinking wise 3-4 of us would split a handle of travelers club for $12 total so $3-$4 each and you'd get hammered haha.

Reactions: bac2therac
This feels like an odd take to me.

Yes, the Blue lot in its heyday was a shit show, but I don't think it's now as bad as it used to be.

The Yellow lot isn't even close to what I'd call "an overcrowded hot mess". Spacing is generous, the parking attendants are indulgent wrt large parties and it's boisterous without being badly behaved.

And frankly, the Scarlet lot is the most crowded of all the lots, since the attendants enforce the parking spaces the way the lines are drawn and there's simply not enough room to spread out, even a little.

Off-campus lots can be hit or miss, depending on the venue. I've been to Gainesville several times and we always park & tailgate in one of the private lots on University Ave. It's a great environment, but they clip you for $100 bucks a car.

FWIW, regarding The Grove - great scene, especially if Southern Girl scenery is your thing. But... The Grove is a 100% catered venue - there is NO food prep allowed. No grills, no stoves, etc.

It would be great if RU could take advantage of the Raritan and do some kind of boat scene like UT and UW, but it's never going to happen. The river adjacent to Johnson Park is not navigable and there is zero inclination on the part of the state to make it so.
Never said anything about behavior. I don't know what yellow lot you're talking about. Certainly not 'generous spacing'. In yellow toward the front you have to exit your car immediately after parking before the next car parks else you won't be able to open your door all the way.

Only way to have enough space for a grill, cooler and chairs is to have multiple vehicles. One car ... bring subs....and certainly no $1.99/lb LobBro unless already cooked.

Now, don't get me wrong....RU tailgating is a lot of fun all things considered. But preferences vary so it's not fair to say "Top10" unless you're only referring to your own preference.

The older I get the more I'd prefer the dispersed, small group reserved lot arrangement but obviously that's not feasible with the stadium location where it is.

Never said anything about behavior. I don't know what yellow lot you're talking about. Certainly not 'generous spacing'. In yellow toward the front you have to exit your car immediately after parking before the next car parks else you won't be able to open your door all the way.

Only way to have enough space for a grill, cooler and chairs is to have multiple vehicles. One car ... bring subs....and certainly no $1.99/lb LobBro unless already cooked.

Now, don't get me wrong....RU tailgating is a lot of fun all things considered. But preferences vary so it's not fair to say "Top10" unless you're only referring to your own preference.

The older I get the more I'd prefer the dispersed, small group reserved lot arrangement but obviously that's not feasible with the stadium location where it is.

We're in the front row of the Yellow lot every week. This has never - NEVER - been our experience. We always have room to spread out. We have multiple grills, at least one flat top, sometimes an oven and / or a deep fryer, not to mention tents, tables and chairs.

'Friends of Frank' side or the stadium side ? Believe me, walk back just 1-2 rows and you'll feel claustrophobic. If someone in the next group over sneezed you'd get wet.

Sounds like you have space spanning at least 4-5 cars. Your location in the very front of yellow isn't representative. Anyhow, I'm sure 90% of fans across the country would rate their tailgating scene as "very good", and they'd be right. Same reason so much love for pork roll here. It's ours and it's great.

I think Michigan has the best overall arrangement of those I visited. Different options. A big lot on the east side of the stadium, small reserved university lots scattered across campus and reserved lawn spaces in the adjacent neighborhoods.

When I was younger I thought The Pit at WVU was fantastic. I wouldn't think so anymore. Get my point ?

'Friends of Frank' side or the stadium side ? Believe me, walk back just 1-2 rows and you'll feel claustrophobic. If someone in the next group over sneezed you'd get wet.

Sounds like you have space spanning at least 4-5 cars. Your location in the very front of yellow isn't representative. Anyhow, I'm sure 90% of fans across the country would rate their tailgating scene as "very good", and they'd be right. Same reason so much love for pork roll here. It's ours and it's great.

I think Michigan has the best overall arrangement of those I visited. Different options. A big lot on the east side of the stadium, small reserved university lots scattered across campus and reserved lawn spaces in the adjacent neighborhoods.

When I was younger I thought The Pit at WVU was fantastic. I wouldn't think so anymore. Get my point ?

Never been on the Friends of Frank side. Although it's something that's always kind of appealed to me.

Hey @LeapinLou - we should look into that. We could be Friends of Frank Adjacent. 😂

The older I get, the less I prefer the RU type and the more I prefer laid back tailgates with ample space.
Michigan State for example. I do enjoy RU, but yellow and blue are an overcrowded hot mess.
We have that here too. That's why I have no interest in moving from the Black Lot to Blue or Yellow.

Never been on the Friends of Frank side. Although it's something that's always kind of appealed to me.

Hey @LeapinLou - we should look into that. We could be Friends of Frank Adjacent. 😂
Wow, a Friends of Frank reference! I've been a part of that tailgate since it's very humble beginnings when we were in school (bag of Doritos and a 12-pack maybe) - Frank and I and a few others from the tailgate graduated in 1986. We have certainly expanded over the years. It's a great spot and we always manage to carve out enough room.

Stop by anytime.

Wow, a Friends of Frank reference! I've been a part of that tailgate since it's very humble beginnings when we were in school (bag of Doritos and a 12-pack maybe) - Frank and I and a few others from the tailgate graduated in 1986. We have certainly expanded over the years. It's a great spot and we always manage to carve out enough room.

Stop by anytime.

We generally run 4 - 5 cars and about 20 people.

But... we do very, very good food. Rarely is it run-of-the-mill tailgate fare.

Reactions: RUMatt
Was that guy's fraternity at 18 College Ave by any chance?
mmmm.. could be 😏 Rumor there was CT's used to have a tunnel to that house for use during prohibition. And the one on Mine street has allegedly had tunnels (part of the abandoned copper mine, IIRC) that lead to the riverbank near the ledge and that was used for booze smuggling too.

Reactions: 29PAS
I'm talking about the aesthetics of these places. I went to Fayetteville in 2012, holy shit what a difference. Roof top bars in a college town?! Nice ass places. Not one place on Easton Ave would be there. Madison WI similar, gorgeous campus. Evanston in Northwestern beautiful town with lots of places. Even Kansas had a great downtown.

Easton Ave owners spend some dam money on siding at least. Old Queens owner owns his building and actually replaced their siding last year and it looks the exact same. Didn't understand that one.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Easton Ave bar scene isn’t terrible, but as Skoolie says it needs an overall upgrade with more/better/bigger options if we’re comparing to BIG10 peers.

I never understood what the deal was with Corner Tavern. I went there once in my time at Rutgers (2007-2011) for a combined 10 minutes on my 21st. It’s prime real estate and a complete dump/dive that gets no business.

Anyone know what happened to Redds by the train station? I think they were having trouble paying rent but Easton Ave needs more options like Redds offered.
Shitty location and high rent. They were only making it because they were letting underage kids drink. Thats how BroJs died too.

Reactions: S_Janowski
They look different too. I was just talking with my friends that I feel old because when we were in college, girls wore clothes and looked normal. Now, every girl looks like a super model wearing dental floss and has their faces shot up with all these different fillers. They look good though haha.

Like a 10 when I was in college would be a 7 today and this was only 10 years ago.

I legitimately survived on a 75 per semester meal plan and $100/week. I always did lunch at the dining halls. And every lunch I'd grab breakfast for the next day by taking 1 banana and 1 apple. Then for dinner my go to was Pizza City buffalo chicken cheesesteak, I still can't figure out how but it was $5 and a pretty sizeable cheesesteak haha, hansel buff chicken crisp, blitz burger on tuesdays as it was 2 for tuesdays and split that deal with my roommate so it was $3 each and I waited tables and would eat dinner for free there often. Then drinking wise 3-4 of us would split a handle of travelers club for $12 total so $3-$4 each and you'd get hammered haha.
These kids are completely mentally destroyed by smart phones, tablets and video games. The parents who let them grow up on those things created virtual crackheads (and that's not an exaggeration) there are studies out there that 19-20 year olds with excessive screen time have brain scans similar to middle aged coke addicts. Frontal lobe destruction.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Remember CT fondly. When it was on the corner. But mostly after the Bonnie Raitt concert at the Barn in ‘72, she and her bass player (Freebo) came to CT for a beer afterwards. I tried to buy her a beer but couldn’t get past 50 other guys. She was not a big star then. But I got to see her here in Bend last summer. The intervening 50 years look better on her than me!

Last edited:
Wasnt a CT "regular" in my college days, but always enjoyed our occasional visits there. Cool space, pool tables, beer and women - what wasn't to like? Since the 90s, every few years, I'll pop in when out with friends in town just for old time's sake.

And, IMO, NB has always had a great bar/restaurant scene, with the bars maybe not quite as good now as back then (especially with regard to live music - NB's music scene in the 80s was nationally recognized, but most of that was driven underground to basement shows by the pols in NB), but the restaurants being a major step up - and some of that is probably the natural evolution of just getting older, as we're not going to be those creepy 60 year old guys going to Perle, but we can enjoy any great restaurant.
Right.
Ranking the 1980's New Brunswick bars, loosely:
The Melody - The Court Tavern (tie?)
Patrix
The Roxy
Olde Queens
The Knight Club
Golden Rail
The Corner Tavern
Kelly's Korner? (Never Been)

Now? Not even sure where to begin.

Reactions: RU848789
The Easton Ave bar "look" is pretty weak. Knight Club is re-doing their facade. Wish some of the other spots would do the same. They're all dives that look like shit from the outside.

Places like BARCA and Tacoria look good. Have floor to ceiling windows that slide open in the summer time. THAT is the kind of stuff we need at places like Scarlet Pub, Old Queens etc. Not the metal siding from 1950 or the brick not even painted from 1920.

You guys need to visit other campuses and see what they have and you'll realize Easton Ave in general needs to step its game up immensely, but we have had this discussion years ago. Could probably dig up the old thread if I had the time.
You seem to have something against dive bars. Some of us like the shit look. 🤷‍♂️

Remember CT fondly. When it was on the corner. But mostly after the Bonnie Raitt concert at the Barn in ‘72, she and her bass player (Freebo) and to CT for a beer afterwards. I tried to buy her a beer but couldn’t get past 50 other guys. She was not a big star then. But I got to see her here in Bend last summer. The intervening 50 years look better on her than me!

1972:
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff12d8611-4fb9-401f-b90f-df612b45e842_640x800.jpeg

Recently:
2-bonnie.jpg

Maybe it's a function of multiple cars, but we're usually in rows 4-6 from the front (typically get there 3 hrs before kickoff) and have never felt crowded, but we usually have 3 cars (sometimes 4) and I never recall not being able to open our car doors. Been in yellow for about 15 years now (moved from blue, because we hated taking an hour to exit - never more than 5-10 minutes to get out of yellow).

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT