ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Are you a NYC-oriented Rutgers fan or a Philly-oriented?

If you must choose.. are you Philly or NYC identifying Rutgers fan?

• Total voters
Sep 11, 2006
We know most of New Jersey's population tilts towards Bergen County and NYC.. but I was wondering about Rutgers fans.. is there an unusually large number who identify more with Philly?

Is this a South Jersey vs North Jersey thing? Sort of.. but I want to avoid the whole Central Jersey / West Jersey / Shore identifications. So Philly or NYC?.. or are you so far away from it all but still a Rutgers fan?

Reactions: NickRU714
We know most of New Jersey's population tilts towards Bergen County and NYC.. but I was wondering about Rutgers fans.. is there an unusually large number who identify more with Philly?

Is this a South Jersey vs North Jersey thing? Sort of.. but I want to avoid the whole Central Jersey / West Jersey / Shore identifications. So Philly or NYC?.. or are you so far away from it all but still a Rutgers fan?
I hate to burst your Central Jersey avoidance bubble, but as a Central Jerseyite, neither.
With that said, my baseball allegiance is to the Mets. But I don't hate the Phillies. I'm cheering for them in the series.
Don't really care about NFL, but lean more for Giants/Jets than Eagles, and Devils for NHL, but don't have much interest.

Reactions: redking
I haven't lived in the area for over 25 years. Thus, I don't get to watch the NY teams I grew up watching. Now, it's all about the streaming and such (ugh).

Reactions: angmo
I grew up in Central Jersey but live in the Philly area now. I Identify with both. I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and a NJ Devils fan. The only Philly team I root for is the Phillies.

I hate to burst your Central Jersey avoidance bubble...
I don't even know what that could mean. (oh, I actually used the word "avoid"). I included a neither option but hoped it would be for people who didn't grow up near Jersey. Do I have to try to get you to choose pork roll or taylor ham?

So far the results are strongly toward NYC. I expected a lot more balance. I grew up down the shore and it was 50/50 there.. getting TV from both cities. Hmm.. I wonder if that is still the case.. we got ABC/NBC/CBS from both NYC and Philly.

Why this now? I was watching a TKR video and saw a host wearing and Eagles hoodie. Just wondered where the Rutgers fandom would fall in Philly vs NYC.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I grew up in Central Jersey but live in the Philly area now. I Identify with both. I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and a NJ Devils fan. The only Philly team I root for is the Phillies.
So.. since you live down there.. what did you answer? Oh.. I forgot I made votes public.. you didn't vote. Guess you couldn't choose.

I see @RUPinstripe voted neither? Guess pinstripe isn't a Yankees reference

Last edited:
I don't even know what that could mean. (oh, I actually used the word "avoid"). I included a neither option but hoped it would be for people who didn't grow up near Jersey. Do I have to try to get you to choose pork roll or taylor ham?

So far the results are strongly toward NYC. I expected a lot more balance. I grew up down the shore and it was 50/50 there.. getting TV from both cities. Hmm.. I wonder if that is still the case.. we got ABC/NBC/CBS from both NYC and Philly.

Why this now? I was watching a TKR video and saw a host wearing and Eagles hoodie. Just wondered where the Rutgers fandom would fall in Philly vs NYC.
May I choose Taylor Roll? 😬
If force, I would pick NYC. Geographically closer. Go there more.

grew up in North Jersey but now live deep in Philadelphia fan world, lifelong Mets and Giants fan but my kids are Philly fans sadly. I watch the Eagles and Phillies to root against them. Watching them lose the super bowl was glorious
Glorious indeed!

I voted nyc .

Kinda envious of the runs they are having with the Phillies and eagles now.
But hey we own temple !

Population-Density-by-County-and-Municipality-2020.jpg

Of course things should skew towards NYC over Philly. The population density of the state is MUCH HIGHER near NYC than Philly.

I am more NYC than Philly for sure based on where I grew up, but being out of state for 30+ years, it's kind of none of the above for me now. I'm still a long-suffering Mets fan, though.

I haven't lived in the area for over 25 years. Thus, I don't get to watch the NY teams I grew up watching. Now, it's all about the streaming and such (ugh).
I lived overseas for 20 years. Moved back to the shore. Still have some vestigial attachment to NY teams I guess. Mostly a NJ RU fan.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
NYC and Philly not on same level considering Giants have played in NJ for decades and most coaches and players live there. Many have made a case for team to be called NJ Giants and that's a valid argument Philly never had to worry about

Population-Density-by-County-and-Municipality-2020.jpg

Of course things should skew towards NYC over Philly. The population density of the state is MUCH HIGHER near NYC than Philly.

I am more NYC than Philly for sure based on where I grew up, but being out of state for 30+ years, it's kind of none of the above for me now. I'm still a long-suffering Mets fan, though.
Well. population... this one does have a central jersey... it comes from this NJ.com story that says.. n55% of the population is in "central" jersey. But what does that mean when you are trying to figure out the Philly vs NYC influence map and population as it pertains to people who attend Rutgers and/or become Rutgers fans? That story could also just be an indication that NJ.com doesn't really get to South Jersey people much.

-8945262f9a6e8830.png

And here's a pork roll vs taylor ham map.. love how the shore is a mix of both.. aka purple.
main-qimg-65cbcf8a9ac4d85a122b4dcf255cbdc4

So, the unscientific NJ.com mentioned above suggested the population of New Jersey breaks down to

north 30%
central 55%
south 15%

so, if north jersey is 2x South Jersey.. then Central Jersey.. if they had to choose might also have that 2:1 ratio.

So that maps to New Jersey being 2/3rd North Jersey and 1/3rd South Jersey.. or.. 2/3rds NYC and 1/3rd Philly.. but these Rutgers results shows a 5:1 ratio.

Does that mean that Rutgers attracts/admits a disproportionately larger number of North Jersey students? Or are those the ones who become Rutgers fans more and are on this board to answer this poll?

I've always been closer to NYC since I moved to Jersey in 2001 (month before 9/11).

Spent years commuting to NYC but now work from home post-Covid (thank god). I identify closer to NYC but nowadays there's nothing I hate more than going into the city, and my gf lives in Queens. Trying to get her to move out.

Live in Hudson county and I'm tired of here too. Would prefer somewhere quiet and more affordable.

Now live north of Scranton but grew up in South Jersey a 15 minute drive from Vet Stadium, so totally a Philly fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT